Discuss all the events of the day

Moderator: GH Moderators

zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Re: Coronavirus

Post by zim »

Wonder if we'll see the first war over health policy, or at least some sanctions.
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Master Bateman

Post by LP Raider »

zim wrote: March 26, 2020, 1:30 pm Wonder if we'll see the first war over health policy, or at least some sanctions.
Great to hear that all our essentials that we need atm were shipped off to China when they were dealing with this.

:clap:
WorkChoice
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

-TW- wrote: March 26, 2020, 9:24 am That's the frustrating thing people don't get

Shut everything down you kill the virus and the economy. Those places that are on reduced trade and just hanging on doing takeaway will be dead instantly

Next people will be complaining that the budget is billions in deficit, cause welfares gone through the roof

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk
Doesn't matter what happens, people will complain. It's a **** situation and you'd be hard pressed to find any good to come out of it.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart

Post by LP Raider »

Northern Raider wrote: March 26, 2020, 4:37 pm
-TW- wrote: March 26, 2020, 9:24 am That's the frustrating thing people don't get

Shut everything down you kill the virus and the economy. Those places that are on reduced trade and just hanging on doing takeaway will be dead instantly

Next people will be complaining that the budget is billions in deficit, cause welfares gone through the roof

Doesn't matter what happens, people will complain. It's a **** situation and you'd be hard pressed to find any good to come out of it.
Don't make mistakes other countries have made would be a good start.
WorkChoice
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

papabear wrote:
T_R wrote: March 26, 2020, 8:23 am At 5pm yesterday, I employed 330 people
At 5pm today, I will employ 19

I feel sick beyond words. I cannot imagine what this looks like extrapolated throughout the economy.

We're going to be a very long time getting over this.
TBH the Liquidation and Bankruptcy market is looking quite bouyant. Selling assets though is a bit of a down, lots of people bailing on property sales.

That all said, I hope you trade out of it :).
Considering there's an effective 6 month freeze on bankruptcy proceedings, Id say you're wrong.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

T_R wrote:At 5pm yesterday, I employed 330 people

I feel sick beyond words. I cannot imagine what this looks like extrapolated throughout the economy.

That's awful mate. For you and your staff.

I can't imagine how people are dealing with the uncertainty of the future.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

I wonder if in the aftermath China will ban the sale and consumption of exotic animals. One lunatic eating a bat has changed the world.

I'm still waiting for the other shoe to drop in Australia, which it will, eventually. Despite the financial pain this is already causing a lot of people, there's going to be regret for not going stricter, sooner - I can see it a mile away...
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

There's already moves to ban it

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.co ... index.html

But theres a whole black market associated with it as well

yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Very sorry to hear this.

I’ve spent this week helping a client transition his “offline orders only” cafe/restaurant to an e-commerce platform for delivery and takeaway.

He has had to do the same thing and it’s hurting a lot.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Sorry to hear T_R. That’d be devastating.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

gangrenous wrote:

Sorry to hear T_R. That’d be devastating.
yeah even I won't joke for a change TR

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

-TW- wrote: March 26, 2020, 8:39 pm There's already moves to ban it

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.co ... index.html

But theres a whole black market associated with it as well
Going to be very interesting to see where this ends up.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

T_R wrote: March 26, 2020, 6:23 pm
papabear wrote:

TBH the Liquidation and Bankruptcy market is looking quite bouyant. Selling assets though is a bit of a down, lots of people bailing on property sales.

That all said, I hope you trade out of it :).
Considering there's an effective 6 month freeze on bankruptcy proceedings, Id say you're wrong.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Most bankruptcy and liquidations are voluntary.

Court work, whilst I do it, is only a small proportion of my firm.

Most of it is helping people "restructure" etc.
BJ
Steve Walters

Coronavirus

Post by BJ »

Whilst there is no sports to keep us interested and commentators employed I have enjoyed this guys great work and short clips.

-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

We now have a Corona issue at work.

A female contractor, who started last Monday 16/3 has had contact with her grandparents. The elderly couple are from Perth and got off the cruise ship in Sydney last Thursday. Pop has Coronavirus, they both drove to Newcastle to see their son, daughter-in-law and granddaughter. The young women is 23 and as I said she started at the Wire Mill just 11 days ago.

Here's the dissapointing part..

She didn't tell management about her grandfathers illness and turned up to work Friday of last week and also Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday of this week before telling her boss the situation. She was frogged marched off site and sent to a doctor for a Covid-19 test. Her actions have caused 9 others to be sent home to self isolate and have been told if they have any symptoms in the next 14 days to seek medical attention.

7 of these workers sent home due to no fault of their own are now without income for two weeks. The other 2, both permanents have sick leave..

All 9 sent home are isolated from their own loved ones I'm guessing. We are now waiting for a test result from the young contractor and if a positive test comes back our whole work force could be sent home..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

The US proving they are the No. 1 country in the world. It's going to get very messy over there but Trump is sure to win the war.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart

Post by LP Raider »

-PJ- wrote: March 27, 2020, 2:37 pm We now have a Corona issue at work.

A female contractor, who started last Monday 16/3 has had contact with her grandparents. The elderly couple are from Perth and got off the cruise ship in Sydney last Thursday. Pop has Coronavirus, they both drove to Newcastle to see their son, daughter-in-law and granddaughter. The young women is 23 and as I said she started at the Wire Mill just 11 days ago.

She didn't tell management about her grandfathers illness and turned up to work Friday of last week and also Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday of this week before telling her boss the situation. She was frogged marched off site and sent to a doctor for a Covid-19 test. Her actions have caused 9 others to be sent home to self isolate and have been told if they have any symptoms in the next 14 days to seek medical attention.

7 of these workers sent home due to no fault of their own are now without income for two weeks. The other 2, both permanents have sick leave..

All 9 sent home are isolated from their own loved ones I'm guessing. We are now waiting for a test result from the young contractor and if a positive test comes back our whole work force could be sent home..
Had something similar this week, my boss wanted to bring 7 contractors on site for me to look after. Surprise, surprise he was too work at home on the day leaving me to deal with it.

A senior manager came to our workshop to see what my problem was, after much expletives from myself I made the point that unless provisions were put in place that all our livelihoods were at risk.

Needless to say, 2 days later the plant manager had a meeting with all 250 staff expressing strict guidelines.

My direct boss has stayed away from me for the rest of the week, probably for the good of his health.
WorkChoice
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart

Post by LP Raider »

gergreg wrote: March 27, 2020, 2:57 pm The US proving they are the No. 1 country in the world. It's going to get very messy over there but Trump is sure to win the war.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
:lol:

Everyone back at work by Easter, that's not going to turn into ****.
WorkChoice
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Just talking to a client today on the topic and they raised an interesting point about NZ. They've have relatively few cases (although still increasing) and have gone into full lockdown. He questioned how long they intend to remain in that state and more importantly, what is their strategy afterwards? Point being if it achieves their intended result and they stop COVID-19 completely in the country do they remain effectively isolated from the rest of the world where the virus is still active?
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

That is just incredible on so many levels. :nooo
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Northern Raider wrote: March 27, 2020, 3:38 pm

You can't make this up..
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Northern Raider wrote: March 27, 2020, 3:34 pm Just talking to a client today on the topic and they raised an interesting point about NZ. They've have relatively few cases (although still increasing) and have gone into full lockdown. He questioned how long they intend to remain in that state and more importantly, what is their strategy afterwards? Point being if it achieves their intended result and they stop COVID-19 completely in the country do they remain effectively isolated from the rest of the world where the virus is still active?
It will be interesting...
Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

-PJ- wrote: March 27, 2020, 4:05 pm

You can't make this up..
As a contractor, typically if you don't work, you don't get paid.

I give good odds that this person may have been under financial pressure, and kept it buried for as long as her conscience would allow in order to avoid the loss of income associated with quarantine.

Even though in this particular case it was a new employee who wouldn't have accumulated much leave, its illustrative of the type of problem that can occur when people working under certain types of employment models have no access to paid leave. People need the money, so they'll go to work and put everybody else there at risk.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Sterlk wrote: March 27, 2020, 4:35 pm

You can't make this up..

I give good odds that this person may have been under financial pressure, and kept it buried for as long as her conscience would allow in order to avoid the loss of income associated with quarantine.

Even though in this particular case it was a new employee who wouldn't have accumulated much leave, its illustrative of the type of problem that can occur when people working under certain types of employment models have no access to paid leave. People need the money, so they'll go to work and put everybody else there at risk.
But go back further to the Grandparents deciding to travel around visiting relatives when they were meant to be self isolating.
Mr Squiggle
Ken Nagas
Favourite Player: Brad Clyde

Post by Mr Squiggle »

Northern Raider wrote: March 27, 2020, 3:34 pm Just talking to a client today on the topic and they raised an interesting point about NZ. They've have relatively few cases (although still increasing) and have gone into full lockdown. He questioned how long they intend to remain in that state and more importantly, what is their strategy afterwards? Point being if it achieves their intended result and they stop COVID-19 completely in the country do they remain effectively isolated from the rest of the world where the virus is still active?
They wouldn't be isolated. Once you control the virus you can implement rock solid quarantine procedures and open up the borders under strict controls. They can also get their domestic economy going without any restrictions which gives them a competitive advantage in trade over countries that could be shut down for months.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

@Sterlk..she's a new contractor on a 3month trial. It's a period where we weed out the idiots. As a contractor she has no leave and no sick leave entitlements.
Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

Northern Raider wrote: March 27, 2020, 4:39 pm
Sterlk wrote: March 27, 2020, 4:35 pm

You can't make this up..

But go back further to the Grandparents deciding to travel around visiting relatives when they were meant to be self isolating.
Ah, yes. That part I overlooked. That is unbelievable... what are they doing? Bunch of crazies.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Something this whole saga has reinforced is, the majority of people are **** stupid

Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

-PJ- wrote: March 27, 2020, 4:53 pm @Sterlk..she's a new contractor on a 3month trial. It's a period where we weed out the idiots. As a contractor she has no leave and no sick leave entitlements.
Yep, which is part of my point. Being new, she wouldn't have had much of anything regardless, but if she did then she might have used it and those other 9 people would still be working.

Put simply, businesses loaded to the gills with casuals and contractors are more vulnerable to this type of idiocy than businesses with salaried employees that have leave entitlements.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Mr Squiggle wrote: March 27, 2020, 4:46 pm
They wouldn't be isolated. Once you control the virus you can implement rock solid quarantine procedures and open up the borders under strict controls. They can also get their domestic economy going without any restrictions which gives them a competitive advantage in trade over countries that could be shut down for months.
Not knowing what those rock solid quarantine procedures are makes it hard to assess right now. I can't see too many people visiting NZ if something like a 2 week quarantine period applies upon arrival. Also consider locals heading overseas would need to factor that in upon return.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Sterlk wrote: March 27, 2020, 5:11 pm
-PJ- wrote: March 27, 2020, 4:53 pm @Sterlk..she's a new contractor on a 3month trial. It's a period where we weed out the idiots. As a contractor she has no leave and no sick leave entitlements.
Yep, which is part of my point. Being new, she wouldn't have had much of anything regardless, but if she did then she might have used it and those other 9 people would still be working.

Put simply, businesses loaded to the gills with casuals and contractors are more vulnerable to this type of idiocy than businesses with salaried employees that have leave entitlements.
Yep..
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

USA taken the lead in the number of confirmed cases. NYC showing the way. If it was a country, it would be 6th.

But NYC has a low case mortality rate, meaning it's detecting a lot of mild cases. That's good because they are the people that spread it. NYC are actually doing well.

Washington State, Louisiana, Georgia and Michigan all have high case mortality rates. They are missing a lot of mild cases which are possibly spreading disease. They are heading for disaster.

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Dr Zaius wrote: March 27, 2020, 6:35 pm USA taken the lead in the number of confirmed cases. NYC showing the way. If it was a country, it would be 6th.

But NYC has a low case mortality rate, meaning it's detecting a lot of mild cases. That's good because they are the people that spread it. NYC are actually doing well.

Washington State, Louisiana, Georgia and Michigan all have high case mortality rates. They are missing a lot of mild cases which are possibly spreading disease. They are heading for disaster.
Yeah they overtook China this morning. New York State 37,000. As you point out they would be below Germany and above Iran and France on the current count. 19m people in the state so it's the size of a country. Their mortality rate is below 1%.

Italy will be above China once the figures update.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

And the Trumpster wants business as usual by Easter..

Get a grip Don.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

-TW- wrote: March 27, 2020, 5:06 pm Something this whole saga has reinforced is, the majority of people are **** stupid

Yes, in case you don’t have social media as a daily reminder of that...