Discuss all the events of the day

Moderator: GH Moderators

dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Re: Coronavirus

Post by dubby »

The Nickman wrote:
Question wrote:Move over Nickman Im packing up the swag and heading up to rocky, Before im locked in.
Hurry up then Q, if it were up to me they’d close the highway at Gympie right now!
This is funny.

Suddenly closed borders make sense.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Master Bateman

Post by LP Raider »

Telstra set to shut down calls centres overseas and bring back jobs to Australia.
WorkChoice
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

LP Raider wrote: March 24, 2020, 5:26 pm Telstra set to shut down calls centres overseas and bring back jobs to Australia.
There's some positive news then.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Dr Zaius wrote:
gangrenous wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote:Image

Your kids school?

Lots of debate about closing the schools.

Experience overseas is that children can get it, but get it significantly less often than adults, don't seem to pass it between each other much (more likely to get it from an adult), and when they do get it, rarely have severe disease.

There has been quite a few cases at school lately, including Lyneham High.

Was this a teenager TR?
How have they worked that out? Given the test limitations, do they have enough testing on asymptomatic children to know how many are catching it and just not showing?
Published studies from China
Dunno haven't read them
They're probably online. Either crunching the numbers from their testing in the original outbreak. Or widespread blood testing of the community once past the peak to see who had it and who didn't
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Northern Raider wrote:
LP Raider wrote: March 24, 2020, 5:26 pm Telstra set to shut down calls centres overseas and bring back jobs to Australia.
Think a lot of companies will learn that the hard way, NRMA are **** cause all their call centres are in Thailand.

Actually spoke to someone in Canberra the other day when I called up about my hail damaged car for the 55th time

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

So you are on a cruise ship with a confirmed case of Covid, and the only place that will let you disembark is Venice.

What do you decide?

#Costa Victoria
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

The real question is, what are you doing on a cruise ship ...
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

yeh raiders wrote: March 24, 2020, 8:14 pm The real question is, what are you doing on a cruise ship ...
That's a very good question
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Never understood the appeal..

Until now it was always a floating gastro tank

Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Schools stay open so working mums don't claim your centrelink money.
Mr Morrison enjoy washing the blood from your hands.
This place is woke.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

So shazza from accounts drops of little Johnny to the breeding ground of diseases then goes and spreads kungflu around the workplace and the next thing you know 15 blokes are in isolation... **** kids these days are brain dead gaming zombies anyways **** their education atm.
This place is woke.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Lock em up.
This place is woke.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

What does closing the QLD border achieve? besides **** around a lot of northern NSW and Southern QLDers.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Restricts free movement

You can still get through if you demonstrate a need to.

Won't be long before Sydney is locked down in a similar fashion seeing they have nearly half the cases..

papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

-TW- wrote: March 25, 2020, 10:45 am Restricts free movement

Won't be long before Sydney is locked down in a similar fashion seeing they have nearly half the cases..

people dont generally cross interstate unless they need to...
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Holidays aren't a need

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

papabear wrote: March 25, 2020, 11:31 am
-TW- wrote: March 25, 2020, 10:45 am Restricts free movement

people dont generally cross interstate unless they need to...
People generally don't travel anywhere unless they need to. Jurisdictional lines on a map don't have much bearing. People in Tweed Heads can go interstate by walking across the street for a loaf of bread.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

-TW- wrote:Restricts free movement

They need to bloke the Hume Princess and Pacific Hwy. Sydney is going to be a **** show in 2 weeks and we don't need people fleeing the city, spreading it around the state.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Just got an email with new testing criteria. Massive expansion. Potential game changer.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Dr Zaius wrote: March 25, 2020, 2:32 pm Just got an email with new testing criteria. Massive expansion. Potential game changer.
As in expansion of testing volume or reach?
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Northern Raider wrote: March 25, 2020, 2:44 pm
Dr Zaius wrote: March 25, 2020, 2:32 pm Just got an email with new testing criteria. Massive expansion. Potential game changer.
Criteria. What they will test. Still not enough, but big expansion.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Dr Zaius wrote: March 25, 2020, 3:10 pm
Good news but would be nice if they had capacity to extend those other areas too. Detection is the key to control.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

https://thenewdaily.com.au/news/coronav ... 2020200325

I wonder how many other cases like this are still roaming the community then..

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

-TW- wrote: March 25, 2020, 4:25 pm https://thenewdaily.com.au/news/coronav ... 2020200325

I wonder how many other cases like this are still roaming the community then..
A question nobody could answer. Have to think its the reasoning why a key criteria is testing people who have been in contact with known cases.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

-TW- wrote: March 24, 2020, 7:41 pm
Northern Raider wrote:
Think a lot of companies will learn that the hard way, NRMA are **** cause all their call centres are in Thailand.

Actually spoke to someone in Canberra the other day when I called up about my hail damaged car for the 55th time

I can't speak for IAG who own NRMA Insurance, but from the Roadside Assistance company point of view, both of our call centers are in NSW. One in Sydney and one in Gosford. The only thing these companies share is a logo since the de-mutualisation of the insurance company in 2000. The Boards and Management are completely separate.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Dr Zaius wrote: March 25, 2020, 2:31 pm
-TW- wrote:Restricts free movement

They need to bloke the Hume Princess and Pacific Hwy. Sydney is going to be a **** show in 2 weeks and we don't need people fleeing the city, spreading it around the state.
Perceptive comment as always DrZ. There are literally thousands of people with caravans trying to reach/leave South Australia and Queensland since they announced the closure of the borders. Hopefully not too many have Covid-19 because they are on the move as advised to me by locations as diverse as Cobar and Goondiwindi.
Last edited by RedRaider on March 25, 2020, 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Northern Raider wrote: March 25, 2020, 3:58 pm
Dr Zaius wrote: March 25, 2020, 3:10 pm
Good news but would be nice if they had capacity to extend those other areas too. Detection is the key to control.
Spot on NR. Detection and then isolation of infected people and tracking people they have had contact with, followed by those persons also being put in isolation is a logical tool in containing the spread of the virus. Limits to the number of available test kits seems to be a constraint on this process.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Yes, broader testing is clearly required. These asymptomatic cases are a real killer in tracking the progression of the virus.

Once a decent testing regime is in place, then the authorities can start asking the question of what the triggers are to start relaxing the social exclusion policies. Is it two weeks without a new confirmed case across the entire country? A month? State by State? When do you open up your international borders? When do you relax the quarantine and exclusion measures?

It's a big call.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

I can't see international travel for at least the next 18 months, or at least until a vaccine/medication is widely available

I just think unless it's completely dead across the world then it will just flare up again by someone bringing it back

FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

-TW- wrote:I can't see international travel for at least the next 18 months, or at least until a vaccine/medication is widely available

I just think unless it's completely dead across the world then it will just flare up again by someone bringing it back

Which will only further encourage the empty esky initiative I guess
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

At 5pm yesterday, I employed 330 people
At 5pm today, I will employ 19

I feel sick beyond words. I cannot imagine what this looks like extrapolated throughout the economy.

We're going to be a very long time getting over this.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

T_R wrote: March 26, 2020, 8:23 am At 5pm yesterday, I employed 330 people

I feel sick beyond words. I cannot imagine what this looks like extrapolated throughout the economy.

Thats just horrible. Even worse that you're only one of many. The reality will start to hit home soon for everybody.

Talking to a mate of mine yesterday (by phone). He was in blame laying mode saying the government should have closed everything down weeks ago when it first started. I asked if he was staying home. He said no because if he didn't go to work he wouldn't get paid. So wanted everything to close down but still expected to be going to work and earning money as normal.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

That's the frustrating thing people don't get

Shut everything down you kill the virus and the economy. Those places that are on reduced trade and just hanging on doing takeaway will be dead instantly

Next people will be complaining that the budget is billions in deficit, cause welfares gone through the roof

zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Can't imagine what that'd be like mate. Hope you're doing ok.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

TBH the Liquidation and Bankruptcy market is looking quite bouyant. Selling assets though is a bit of a down, lots of people bailing on property sales.

That all said, I hope you trade out of it :).