Canberra Raiders prepare for tough times after NRL season suspension

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: Canberra Raiders prepare for tough times after NRL season suspension

Post by Northern Raider »

For those that are still working I wouldn't call it business as usual. Don't think there's too much 'normal' going on at the moment.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Northern Raider wrote: March 23, 2020, 8:30 pm Had a look at upcoming sports on Ladbrokes account. There's still some European table tennis going on.
Got a channel?
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: March 23, 2020, 8:30 pm Had a look at upcoming sports on Ladbrokes account. There's still some European table tennis going on.
Let's start a $10 game...

:lol: :lol:
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

T_R wrote: March 23, 2020, 8:53 pm I am seriously struggling for a reason to live
Chin up, mate. We will still get blow by blow expert updates throughout all of this from Covid 19 expert Nicholas Man.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Botman wrote: March 24, 2020, 7:13 am

Moscow Liga Pro game in 20 mins.

Game 1 Winner market:
Aleksey Vlasov 1.95
Dmitry Balakin 1.73
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Northern Raider wrote: March 24, 2020, 8:40 am

Game 1 Winner market:
Aleksey Vlasov 1.95
Dmitry Balakin 1.73
I've always thought Balakin is overrated
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

edwahu wrote: March 24, 2020, 8:49 am
Northern Raider wrote: March 24, 2020, 8:40 am

Game 1 Winner market:
Aleksey Vlasov 1.95
Dmitry Balakin 1.73
I've always thought Balakin is overrated
I'd agree but does Vlasov have the game to beat him?

Live coverage here
https://www.sofascore.com/balakin-vlasov/eEMcsBIMc
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

‘They want to play footy’: Ricky Stuart reveals how Raiders players reacted to devastating news

Raiders coach Ricky Stuart has revealed his players’ reactions to the news that the NRL season has been suspended indefinitely.

“The big thing is they want to play footy,” Stuart said. “Probably nearly 100 per cent of these guys have been playing footy since the age of six or seven years old. While they are very fortunate they get paid to do something they love, they actually love playing the game.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 1cfd25aa22

Canberra Raiders captain reveals angst at having family stuck in England after UK lockdown

Canberra captain Josh Hodgson has revealed the angst at having family back home in England during the coronavirus pandemic.

“I think with the borders and everything we wouldn’t go home because we don’t know if we would be allowed back in Australia if it does escalate. If the competition does start up again would I be able to get back in and how long would I have to isolate for.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 16abfac207

Josh Hodgson discusses whether or not he'll return home to the UK in light of the NRL comp being shut down: https://twitter.com/FOXNRL/status/1242205238884356097

Nick Cotric is all of us finding out the #NRL had been suspended: https://twitter.com/FOXNRL/status/1242205732222754819

Phil Gould makes dire prediction for NRL clubs and date for return, while Todd Greenberg says clubs might have to prop each other up: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 6f6a5194b4
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NRL tells clubs season must restart by September to be salvaged

The NRL has told clubs almost $60 million in funding will be available for the next three months as competition options in which players are back on the paddock as early as June, and as late as September, are being canvassed.

But should a shortened 15-game season not be kicked off by September 1, which would mean players were in action up until Christmas, the 2020 campaign is expected to be abandoned.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/03/24/nrl ... -salvaged/

NRL reveals $150m rescue war chest and plans for a shortened competition

The NRL has told the 16 clubs they have $150 million in the bank and discussed a 15-round shortened season starting on September 1 at an emergency CEOs’ meeting today.

As rugby league comes to grips with the coronavirus pandemic changing the world, the NRL has guaranteed clubs they will receive their next three monthly $1.2 million payments until June 1.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... d7c047e5a2
Toviii
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Toviii »

Does that suggest that if/when the competition does resume they will scrap the opening two rounds and start over?
'I've got 17 blokes in that dressing room that are hurting'
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

I'd say rounds 3-15 will be redrawn

15 weeks from September 1 is December 20, so 13 games + finals

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

could be a good time to trial a shortened conference system
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Ricky Stuart just FaceTimed and he’s just like everyone’s parents

There was something familiar about Ricky Stuart’s first phone interview with Fox League Live. No, it was the way Sticky called us on FaceTime and held the phone at the wrong angle, shaking as he moved. Just like chatting to your parents.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 7c1f172a80

Sticky hands game’s ‘well-paid’ stars a reality check

Canberra coach Ricky Stuart saying that players must expect to bear a share of any financial hardships in the coming weeks, months and years.

“We’ve got to understand that we have to cop it on the chin. We’ve got to understand there’s lots of other people out there hurting. It’s far bigger than just rugby league.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 1a3ad8aebb

‘90 per cent of game affected’ as scale of NRL shutdown hits home: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 9136044dac

NRL eyes a slice of Stadium Australia’s $810m, clubs start telling players to take time off:

‘We need everyone at the wheel’: Todd Greenberg’s NRL job safe for now: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... fc914d1f5f

NRL COVID-19 Frequently Asked Questions: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/03/24/nrl ... questions/
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Dr Zaius wrote:
T_R wrote:I am seriously struggling for a reason to live
Hang in there mate. These are terrible times but they are not forever.
I was being dramatic.

Being me is awesome. I wish everyone could experience it.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Sid wrote: March 24, 2020, 1:48 pm could be a good time to trial a shortened conference system
Not if they can get 15 rounds in. Means every team plays each other once.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

T_R wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote:
Hang in there mate. These are terrible times but they are not forever.
I was being dramatic.

Being me is awesome. I wish everyone could experience it.

I've met you.

I've experienced it

My reason for existence is that one day I'll wake up and BE you

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Toviii wrote:Does that suggest that if/when the competition does resume they will scrap the opening two rounds and start over?
No mate I doubt it.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

gangrenous wrote: March 23, 2020, 9:19 pm
How about if I wrote some Haikus for you?
Alas, poor old Raiders;
best chance of glory, deprived.
Fate is a cruel joke.

The fans are off work,
else found out they're "essential".
Could be worse - dole queue.

Start isolation,
socialites will go mental.
Introverts? We're fine.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

That's more Tennyson than Basho

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Joseph 'the worm' Tapine

Post by 1992 »

I'm worried about the beer supply. After this case, and another case, there's only one case left.
WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

1992 wrote: March 24, 2020, 6:03 pm I'm worried about the beer supply. After this case, and another case, there's only one case left.
You dont need to worry. Its still being produced .

Say we win the shortened premiership. How would we feel about it?
It would be like winning the comp during the split. It wouldn't feel the same . Knights won the ARL side and whoever won the Super League , Broncos I think
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

15rnds + finals is plenty of footy.

I'd take that premiership no problem.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

I'd take it. It would be more legit than the Knights in 97.
Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

T_R wrote: March 24, 2020, 5:51 pm That's more Tennyson than Basho Image
My artistry reigns;
master of the written word.
So cultured, much Doge.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders could turn to licenced clubs to ease burden in NRL suspension

QLC Chairman John McIntyre has committed to doing whatever it takes to keep the Canberra Raiders afloat with the NRL in shutdown.

"It just depends on what pans out and how long the ceasing of the NRL premiership lasts, how long it's in limbo," McIntyre said. "That will tell that story. The whole group will be doing its best to meet all of our obligations with whatever assistance we can provide.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

NRL considers Magic Rounds in Brisbane, clubs start telling players to take time off: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 6f6a5194b4

The NRL is facing an uncertain future. RLPA says players will ‘share’ in the downturn of game: posting.php?mode=edit&f=2&p=1723957

‘It has to change’: Souths chief’s passionate plea for NRL to ‘recalibrate’: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 3bfc79c761

NRL clubs are presenting a unified front. Paul Kent says it’s anything but: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... fc1c5e3cb4
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

This is the other edge of the family farm sword... in this case, its the good one
I have no doubt, inspite of all the things ive said about Bonehead over the years, he'll die before he lets this club die. QLC is set up pretty nicely and although times are tough and even tougher for the licensed club industry, i have a very strong belief that what ever happens, the Canberra Raiders will survive this.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

They won't go away the Raiders.

On field or off.
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

Yeah after talking to Mr McIntyre last year at our work corporate box I get the sense we are financially one of the stronger clubs.
He still own a lot property I believe.

I really couldn’t image a life without the Raiders I really couldn’t.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
In Ricky We Trust
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Me either Brew..
Its footy time and there's no Greenvirus.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

1992 wrote:I'm worried about the beer supply. After this case, and another case, there's only one case left.
After making 2 batches of cider, if I can get out this weekend, I’m going to cease the moment and make an emergency batch of beer.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

-PJ- wrote:They won't go away the Raiders.

On field or off.
Much to the annoyance of the NRL
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

1992 wrote: March 24, 2020, 6:03 pm I'm worried about the beer supply. After this case, and another case, there's only one case left.
Failure to prepare is to prepare to fail

Whilst the rest of you MFers were panic buying bog rolls and essential food supplies, ol Botman read the room and understood he was about to restricted to a level where avoiding my parental responsibilites would be nigh on impossible

Im loaded to the **** GILLS in booze. The ol Covid can lay seige to the Botman household, ive got enough wine, beer and spirits to wait this thing out at least 8 months
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Prior preparation and planning prevents pierce poor performance...
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Sounds to me that the advice and new rules from the government tonight essentially bans the playing or training of a rugby league team.

If it hadn’t already stopped it would have been fully banned.
Last edited by Bay53 on March 24, 2020, 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

LimeGreenMachine wrote:
You dont need to worry. Its still being produced .

Say we win the shortened premiership. How would we feel about it?
It would be like winning the comp during the split. It wouldn't feel the same . Knights won the ARL side and whoever won the Super League , Broncos I think
Carlton United have tried to scare everyone and say they can't keep up with demand

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk