NFL Thread

From cricket to motor sports to wrestling and anything in between

Moderator: GH Moderators

gerg
Laurie Daley

Re: NFL Thread

Post by gerg »

Botman wrote:Clowney is a fantastic defensive player and down right dominant in some games but he isnt a sack artist, more of a run stuff, and he's asking for peak Von Miller/Aaron Donald money... who wants to pay that for a guy who's major contribution is as a run stuffer?

For most teams, including my eagles, the run stuffers can get gotten. **** we got Hargrave who is a stud against the run and actually had better pass rush stats than Clowney for significantly less. Very few teams are willing to shell out 20m a year for a defensive player who isnt an edge bending, sack artist

If i were going to make a splash at DE, Ngokoue is who id chase over Clowney. And ill find someone who can stuff the run cheaper... now they wont be as good at is him and they wont have those game wrecking performances the way Clowney has sometimes, but i think thats the prudent move for most teams

Though i do concede id be SUPER fascinated in seeing someone with Clowney's physical attributes in the Eagles wide 9 system with Schwartz where he has ZERO run game responsibilites and is just pinning the ears back every single play.
I didn't watch too many Giants games last season but based on the last decade they are a team that definitely could use a run stuffer. Their run d has failed for a long time.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I think the Giants are a good chance to land Clowney
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Botman wrote:I think the Giants are a good chance to land Clowney
I don’t think the Giants have much cap left, so they’d have to cut somebody to do so. My guess is he goes back to the Seahawks on a one year deal, less than his original asking price.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Travis Frederick retiring from the NFL
Big blow to the cowboys

He was never the same after his illness. Which is a shame
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: March 24, 2020, 8:23 am Travis Frederick retiring from the NFL
Big blow to the cowboys

He was never the same after his illness. Which is a shame
That hasnt even hit their official page yet.
Thats sad!
The fact that he even got back is huge.
Means we need an interior lineman now, or Joe Looney gets another start at his expense.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Cowboys chasing big bodies. Poe and Snacks Harrison top of the list. Rapoport saying we are about to get Poe, while Ive seen others say we have been in serious discussions with Harrison.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Pats moving on from SB kicker Gostkowski
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Panthers get an early 5th round pick for Kyle Allen, sending him to Washington. That’s a nice return for an undrafted free agent backup-level quarterback

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

the bone wrote: March 24, 2020, 1:34 pm Panthers get an early 5th round pick for Kyle Allen, sending him to Washington. That’s a nice return for an undrafted free agent backup-level quarterback
Indeed. Riverboat Ron must be a big fan
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: March 24, 2020, 2:36 pm
the bone wrote: March 24, 2020, 1:34 pm Panthers get an early 5th round pick for Kyle Allen, sending him to Washington. That’s a nice return for an undrafted free agent backup-level quarterback
Indeed. Riverboat Ron must be a big fan
Who starts in DC this yr? Haskins? Allen? Or mystery box #3?
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Haskins will start and be given every chance to show he is the future. If he's not, a late season switch to Allen and drafting a new QB next season is on the cards
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Botman wrote: March 24, 2020, 2:43 pm Haskins will start and be given every chance to show he is the future. If he's not, a late season switch to Allen and drafting a new QB next season is on the cards
That's the smart move. If Haskins is a dud then they can go into 'Tank for Trev' mode.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: March 24, 2020, 4:20 pm
Botman wrote: March 24, 2020, 2:43 pm Haskins will start and be given every chance to show he is the future. If he's not, a late season switch to Allen and drafting a new QB next season is on the cards
That's the smart move. If Haskins is a dud then they can go into 'Tank for Trev' mode.
It's always a weird thing that franchises do
Like next year the skins go with Haskins... at some point if they're say, 3-10... they switch to Allen... who probably wont win you more games, but he might!!
Stay the god damn course, id start Haskins for every game of the season, either he makes progress and you feel good, or he **** stinks and he delivers you a top pick to get in the Lawrance/Fields sweepstake!
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Botman wrote: March 24, 2020, 7:22 pm
Like next year the skins go with Haskins... at some point if they're say, 3-10... they switch to Allen... who probably wont win you more games, but he might!!
Stay the god damn course, id start Haskins for every game of the season, either he makes progress and you feel good, or he **** stinks and he delivers you a top pick to get in the Lawrance/Fields sweepstake!
Early day but in regard to Lawrence v Fields I'd be very surprised if the latter went first. Lawrence is a once in a generation talent.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: March 24, 2020, 9:09 pm
Botman wrote: March 24, 2020, 7:22 pm
Early day but in regard to Lawrence v Fields I'd be very surprised if the latter went first. Lawrence is a once in a generation talent.
Me too, but then at this time comparatively in the draft process for the following year, Christian Hackenberg was a sure fire top pick, and Baker Mayfield and Joe Burrow were day 3 picks at best.
A year is a long time, and Sunshine could always get some sort of Tua style injury.

But yeah, Lawrence is the best QB prospect ive seen since Luck
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Yep, very hard to pick 12 months in advance. This time last year they were talking about how good the QB class of 2020 was going to be with Tua, Herbert and Fromm all top 5 candidates and Burrow was Joe 'Who'. Wind forward and Burrow is a lock for No1, Tua has serious durability questions, doubts about Herbert's leadership and Fromm has fallen of a cliff.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Have you looked at the Falcons team for the 2020 season? 11 1st round picks on offense....
QB Ryan
RB Gurley
WR Julio
WR Ridley
WR Treadwell
TE Hurst
LT Matthews
LG Carpenter
C Mack
RG Lindstorm
RT McGary

Looking at that, if your the HC you laughing at how good your recruitment/ drafting looks, BUT... you better put up points
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Eiffert to Jagz.... WFT?!?!?
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Matt wrote: March 25, 2020, 10:48 am Eiffert to Jagz.... WFT?!?!?
I mean the Jags need a TE, there is no doubt about... i guess the problem is even after signing Eiffert they still need a TE.
Its a shame because he was a very good player, injuries have not been kind and show no signs of slowing down
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Botman wrote: March 25, 2020, 3:03 pm
Matt wrote: March 25, 2020, 10:48 am Eiffert to Jagz.... WFT?!?!?
I mean the Jags need a TE, there is no doubt about... i guess the problem is even after signing Eiffert they still need a TE.
Its a shame because he was a very good player, injuries have not been kind and show no signs of slowing down
Drafted Josh Oliver last year. Might pick up another in the later rounds this year as insurance.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

@Botman,
@Northern Raider,
@The Bone,

Whats a Blake Bell, TE, Chiefs?

But we just signed Dontari Poe. So, McCarthy buying beef for the DL, in Poe and McCoy.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

the bone wrote: March 23, 2020, 11:06 pm
Botman wrote:I think the Giants are a good chance to land Clowney
I don’t think the Giants have much cap left, so they’d have to cut somebody to do so. My guess is he goes back to the Seahawks on a one year deal, less than his original asking price.

It sounds like asking price is the issue for both Clowney and Griffen. They want top edge rusher money, but no one seems willing to pay it.
Cowboys are apparently sniffing around at Clowney and Griffen, but need their prices to fall 1st. The longer they go unsigned, the greater the potential we chase them. From my understanding, they like Griffen more, because McCarthy had to go against him, and therefore there is a bit more knowledge base. Also, they seem to be 'bridge players', and I think a 32yr old better fits that than a 27yr old who should be in his prime.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Apologizes for all the Qs, but with no sport, this NFL offseason stuff is the only thing happening ATM.

@Botman,
@Northern Raider,
@The Bone,

Do you guys think your teams are putting themselves in a good position heading into the draft? Have they plugged holes? Are there still big Q's etc.

Ill start...
With 20 odd players off contract this yr, and already having cap issues this is/ was a train wreck waiting to happen. The big Qs being, Dak? Coopz? Byron? Quinn?

Well, QB... yeah we all know whats going there... or rather we dont. Dak is tagged, and in another 'prove it yr', which is really a 'whats the market value' yr.

WR, Coopz is now the 2nd highest paid WR in the game. We spent a 1st Rd pick on his last yr, so we basically HAD to pay him, or we made a mistake last yr. Given his on the road form, or lack of it, and a long list of preexisting niggles, I worry a little. However, there is no doubt, the second he arrived the 'Boys offense started rolling again. This kid can certainly play, and seems a good locker room guy.

Losing Cobb is a big one, and Im certain he was staying to re-unite with long time coach McCarty, until the Texans drove a bank truck full of green backs to his house. He was much better than his numbers suggested last yr; I mean his 1st 4 TD catches last yr came back for penalties. Which means ATM, the slot is 'by commitee', OR, we look to the draft - ill look at that at the end.

TE, Jarwin got paid! Witten has left, and as weird as it will be to see him in the Silver and Black, Id rather that than another yr taking snaps away from the other guys. As of last night we signed Blake Bell from Chiefs. Never heard of him, but thats fair enough give he was #2 or #3 behind Kelce. Sounds like he might slide straight into TE#2, which makes me a little sad, coz Ive got a little 'skin in the game' in regards to Schultz, who is the nephew of a good friend of mine.

OL, well, you cant replace Fredrick *full stop*. However, we have options in Looney (played for Fredrick 2yr ago, starting all 16 games), McGovern (injured all last yr), Redman, Williams and even Martin if we get really despite. Not sure we need to look at centre in the draft, but we might need to look at it as a 'best on board' type thing like we did with McGovern last yr, in regards to OL, and I doubt its a 1st or 2nd Rd thing either.

Saftey, Jeff Heaths dodgey shoulders are gone, but he was one of those guys who played above his pay grade. Never really a good player, but should have been total trash, and wasnt. Well, its a big upgrade getting Ha Ha to fill his spot, and he will likely play strong safety, meaning Woods will be our free saftey. Thompson is coming back, mostly for special teams, but provided adequate depth last yr. Both Woods and Ha Ha got 2-3 picks last yr, so that doubles our backend turnovers next season Woot Woot :lol:

CB, TBH, this is a tyre fire that is MUCH worse now than it was. I hated losing Bryon, but no way we could pay what Miami did. TBH, this will be our biggest lose this season, I have no doubt about it. Sure his turnovers were bad reading, BUT, no one threw on him either. If he was paired with a ball hawk on the other side he would be better... oh wait, no he is. :rant
Anyway... Awusie is the reason Bryon didnt see action, and right now, is our #1 CB... OH DEAR!. I love the moxy of Jordan Lewis, he is a 'Dawg', as the NFL guys like to say. He can make plays, having both sacks and INTs on his highlight reel. He is our slot guy, and I think we are well served here. Brown is back, and he is an ok #2, but preferably #3 CB. Add in CJ Goodwin, and we have bodies in this positional group. DRAFT HELP REQ!!!!!

LB, well, EVERYONE is back in 2020. I think they will be better for our DL additions too. We have some block eaters in the middle now, which should free up LVE and Jaylon esp to play in space. It will also mean Lee and Thomas on rotation getting less hits too.

DL, well, lots going out the door, most notable Quinn, but again, he got a money truck delivered to his door. We have bought some serious beef to play inside though, in Poe and McCoy. McCoy has come cheap as his son has signed for Oklahoma, and he wants to be able to see him play. He is a 6 time pro bowler, and while he isnt the guy he was at 27-28, the guy can still play. He is a pretty handy upgrade on Maliek Collins who is gone. Poe, well, he is a man mountain, and while he doesnt get sacks, he does requires double blocks, so with any luck that frees up the likes on Lawerance and the LBs to get home more often. We are short a pass rusher on the right side, but Randy Gregory wants reinstatement (7 sacks total in his career, drafted in 2015, and like 16 games in that time...oooph!) and with any luck Tyrone Crawfords 2nd hip surgery went well and we have a rotation there. This is probably enough if our LBs can contribute in the sack department.

Draft:
The biggest issue is CB. So, the Q is, do they go there are #17 for a Henderson from Florida, Arnette from Ohio State, Diggs from 'Bama, assuming of course that Okudah is gone by then, which seems highly likely. I suspect they double down too, between 2-4 depending on who they like.

I think if Kinlaw is there, and his knee is cleared, they have another big Q, and he or McCoy could play edge, but I suspect they will pass now that they have Poe and McCoy. Maybe if K'Lavon Chassion is there, at least he get a start at DE. I know the Cowboys draft/ scout media guys love both these guys.

Honestly, the only reason they dont go CB at #17, is if Jeudy or CeeDee Lamb fall to them. I think they would pass on Ruggs (TBH Id take Ruggs too, who doesnt need a Tyreek Hill type guy?!?!?) or Jefferson, and look for a Rd 3-4 WR instead, like Mims, Cephus or Duvernay (Longhorn, so Texas favorite).

Overall, Im less worried than I was, but that CB depth chart is trash! The top 3 are all off contract next yr too. I suspect we keep Lewis and show the other 2 the door, esp Awuzie, pending the rookies from this draft. We need a 3rd receiver, but with the depth in the draft we will get something. We need a right edge player, and likely a OL player. Sneaky worries are LB (health of LVE and Lee), OL (Tyron isnt getting younger, and Fredrick retiring), TE - Jarwin is our only pass catcher.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

QB: Sorted here, we have Wentz, Sudfield and i think they might kick the tyres on Josh McCown again as a back up if needed.

RB: Very happy with this, Miles Sanders is a stud and the late season form of Boston Scott, particularly in the passing game and in the red zone gives me plenty of reason to think he can spell Miles. He was good is pass protection too. I expect they'll draft a bigger back, or maybe they end up getting someone like LeGarrette or Ajayi back for short yardage on the cheap once camp gets closer

WR: By far the biggest problem right now. I am half expecting a trade, but for who i dont know? I thought Diggs was going to be the guy. Things cant be as bad as they were last year, because nothing could.
You assume Arcega-Whiteside is going to improve with an off season and perhaps some better coaching. Alshon and Djax are old and busted and you cant expect 16 games from them, but we should get more out of them then we got this year. Greg Ward proved last year to be someone who can play in this league, so maybe he's moved to the slot... but also, we're drafting a WR. And almost certainly in the first round, we may even trade up for it to get one Ruggs/Juedy/Lamb. So you hope that solves some of the issues.

TE: Dallas and Ertz are as good as it gets and i think that too will help ease the burden on the WRs. So we're set here for the foreseeable future

OL: We've lost some depth at tackle with Peters and Big V leaving, however the OL is pretty set... Dillard, Saumalo, Kelce, Brooks, Johnson... and as long as Dillard is a legit LT, its still one of the best OL's in the league. Mailata is inline for some work as our swing tackle, and i think they'll continue to stock pile at the position so expecting some depth to be brought in late in FA and/or the draft.

CB: They've made substantial changes here, Slay comes in, they've brought in Roby-Coleman who's pretty solid without being spectacular. Drafting someone here in the middle rounds would also make a lot of sense.

S: Losing Jenkins is a huge one but he is 33 and on the decline, i dont know about this plan to play Jalen Mills at S, but we'll see. LOVE the Will Parks signing. That's a S/CB hybrid who can do a lot. I think he'll play a lot too. McLoud is back and he's solid enough though you wouldnt argue about upgrading him if you could.

LB: Next biggest hole outside of WR. It's grim here. Not a lot of talent here. They're going to need to find off the ball LBs and it probably isnt going to be a draft priority. im a little concerned about this. There is easy-ish answers for the other spots. This... is dicey. Nothing really there for FA, im think it would be good to bring Nigel Bradham back on a more palatable deal than what he was on. But honestly we might need another one even if we did sign him.

DL: Studly. We've loaded up here big time. The Hargrave signing is going to give the Eagles constant interior pressure, they'll be rotating Cox, Hargrave and Malik Jackson in there, which is... comfortably the best IDL rotation in the league. You aren't running on this team. Graham, Sweat, Barnett, and Avery on the outside plus i do think there is a sneaky Ngakoue trade here for philly. This is going to be a very good DL, that will hopefully help the LBs

Draft: It's going to be WR early, and maybe even a double dip.I wont be stunned at all to see the Eagles use future draft capital to trade up for a WR, and then use their 2nd round to go in again. This team desperate wants young WRs to come in and grow around Wentz, rather than get vets who Wentz has to adjust to

I think DB's and LB's will be high on the agenda outside of that. And OL if the value is right. The Eagles seem comfortable going to FA for DL, so i dont see them going in on that very early
If i had to guess now, i think the first three rounds will see them come away with 2 WRs and a DB (either safety or corner)
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Nice write ups fellas. I’ll do one for the Panthers and Giants when I get a chance.

It certainly seems like cornerback and WR are the number 1 needs for Cowboys and Eagles respectively. Cowboys will likely have their pick of the number 2 CB in the draft, though I do wonder if they could find better value elsewhere and pick up a CB in round 2 or 3. Eagles look like a lock to pick WR, and if we know that, so does the rest of the NFL. So I think there’s a good chance the eagles trade up to get their man, or they risk someone jumping them. Really depends if they are set on a particular player... if not they might just let the draft come to them and pick the best WR still on the board - which a lot of mocks are saying will be Justin Jefferson.

the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

I'll start with the New York Football Giants.

QB - They are set here. Jones will look to build on a promising rookie year, where he had 12 starts, threw for 3,027 yards (252 yards/game), with 24 TDs (led rookies) and 12 INTs. Obvious area for improvement is with fumbles, where he had a league high 18 fumbles with 11 lost. (Wentz was second with 16 fumbles and 7 lost). Back up is Colt McCoy, who brings good experience with 28 career starts. Alex Tanney is #3, and a good guy to have in your QB room (not so much on the field).

RB – Year 3 for Saquon, who will look for a better 2020 after an underwhelming 2019 where he was hampered by an ankle injury. Behind him is new signing Dion Lewis and Wayne Gallman, as well as fullback Elijhaa Penny. No draft upgrades needed here.

WR – Golden Tate, Sterling Shepherd and 2019 5th round pick Darius Slayton are the three starters here. Former Cleveland Browns 1st round pick Corey Coleman provides additional depth, recently re-signing on a 1-year deal after missing 2019 with a torn ACL. No significant upgrade needed here, but Gettleman may try to add depth to the position in the later rounds.

TE – Evan Engram is the lead man here, going into year 4 of his rookie deal after being a 1st round pick in 2017. Good when on the park but needs to stay healthy. He’s backed up by Kaden Smith, a 6th round pick last year by San Francisco, who was waived and then claimed by the Giants. Smith showed glimpses of potential, finishing with 268 yards and 3 TDs. Unlikely the Giants spend any draft capital here.

OL – Current starting lineup would be (left to right): Nate Solder, Will Hernandez, Spencer Pulley, Kevin Zietler, Cameron Fleming, with Nick Gates able to fill in at either tackle spot or guard. Centre is a big hole, so expect Giants to look at the position in the mid rounds of the draft. Solder was disappointing last year, and cutting him next year could save the Giants $14M in 2021 (with $6.5M dead cap), so there’s a big chance the Giants use their #4 overall pick on their number 1 left tackle – either Jedrick Wills, Tristan Wirfs, Mekhi Becton, or Andrew Thomas. This could allow them to sit behind the veteran for a year and then take over in 2021. Giants look OK at guard.

DT – Giants are set here. Leonard Williams, Dalvin Tomlinson, Dexter Lawrence and B.J. Hill offer a nice rotation. All are 26 or younger, with two former first rounders (Williams 2015, Lawrence 2019), one second rounder (Tomlinson 2017), and one third rounder (Hill 2018). Take note Gettleman – enough DT hog mollies.

Edge – Holy hell, this cupboard is bare. Current starting OLBs would be Lorenzo Carter and Oshane Ximines, two former 3rd round picks in 2018 and 2019 respectively. Behind them is another former 3rd round pick, free agent signing Kyler Fackrell (2016, Green Bay). Expect the Giants to go edge in round 2.

Linebackers – Serviceable but nothing to write home about. Current starters would be free agent signing Blake Martinez (also formerly with the Packers), and 2019 5th round pick Ryan Connelly, who looked promising until he did his ACL in week 4. Depth is another former 5th rounder, David Mayo (2015), who recently signed a three-year extension after being signed last offseason from the Panthers (note that he can be cut after one year with no dead cap). Plenty of Giants fans are wanting Gettleman to use the #4 overall pick on Clemson LB/S hybrid Isaiah Simmons. I’m not convinced the positional value matches up with a top 4 pick, so I’m hoping they stick with tackle at #4 and look to add LB depth in the middle-to-late rounds.

Cornerbacks – Current starters are free agent signing James Bradberry, and 2019 1st round pick Deandre Baker. Baker looked BAD early last year but he did improve as the season went on. His development will be crucial to the Giants secondary fortunes. Nickel is Corey Ballentine (another 2019 rookie, 6th round), while Sam Beal (2018 supplemental draft, 3rd round) and Grant Haley (2018 undrafted) provide additional depth. The Giants have spent plenty of capital over the last couple of drafts at CB (including moving up for Baker), so I don’t expect any CBs in the early or mid rounds.

Safety – Jabrill Peppers (brought over in the OBJ trade) and Julian Love (4th round pick, 2019) are the starters here, with Rashaan Gaulden (3rd round pick by Carolina, 2018) providing depth. Gettleman traditionally hasn’t valued the safety position, so I don’t expect a high pick here either.

Summary – I’m predicting Giants to go OT, DE, C, and LB in the first, second, third and 4th rounds respectively (note the 3rd round pick is a comp pick, after they gave up their regular 3rd to the Jets in the trade for Leonard Williams). In the 5th and 6th rounds I think they take BPA, and then look to add depth at WR/S/CB/OL with their four 7th round picks.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

the bone wrote: March 27, 2020, 12:05 pm I'll start with the New York Football Giants.

QB - They are set here. Jones will look to build on a promising rookie year, where he had 12 starts, threw for 3,027 yards (252 yards/game), with 24 TDs (led rookies) and 12 INTs. Obvious area for improvement is with fumbles, where he had a league high 18 fumbles with 11 lost. (Wentz was second with 16 fumbles and 7 lost). Back up is Colt McCoy, who brings good experience with 28 career starts. Alex Tanney is #3, and a good guy to have in your QB room (not so much on the field).

RB – Year 3 for Saquon, who will look for a better 2020 after an underwhelming 2019 where he was hampered by an ankle injury. Behind him is new signing Dion Lewis and Wayne Gallman, as well as fullback Elijhaa Penny. No draft upgrades needed here.

WR – Golden Tate, Sterling Shepherd and 2019 5th round pick Darius Slayton are the three starters here. Former Cleveland Browns 1st round pick Corey Coleman provides additional depth, recently re-signing on a 1-year deal after missing 2019 with a torn ACL. No significant upgrade needed here, but Gettleman may try to add depth to the position in the later rounds.

TE – Evan Engram is the lead man here, going into year 4 of his rookie deal after being a 1st round pick in 2017. Good when on the park but needs to stay healthy. He’s backed up by Kaden Smith, a 6th round pick last year by San Francisco, who was waived and then claimed by the Giants. Smith showed glimpses of potential, finishing with 268 yards and 3 TDs. Unlikely the Giants spend any draft capital here.

OL – Current starting lineup would be (left to right): Nate Solder, Will Hernandez, Spencer Pulley, Kevin Zietler, Cameron Fleming, with Nick Gates able to fill in at either tackle spot or guard. Centre is a big hole, so expect Giants to look at the position in the mid rounds of the draft. Solder was disappointing last year, and cutting him next year could save the Giants $14M in 2021 (with $6.5M dead cap), so there’s a big chance the Giants use their #4 overall pick on their number 1 left tackle – either Jedrick Wills, Tristan Wirfs, Mekhi Becton, or Andrew Thomas. This could allow them to sit behind the veteran for a year and then take over in 2021. Giants look OK at guard.

DT – Giants are set here. Leonard Williams, Dalvin Tomlinson, Dexter Lawrence and B.J. Hill offer a nice rotation. All are 26 or younger, with two former first rounders (Williams 2015, Lawrence 2019), one second rounder (Tomlinson 2017), and one third rounder (Hill 2018). Take note Gettleman – enough DT hog mollies.

Edge – Holy hell, this cupboard is bare. Current starting OLBs would be Lorenzo Carter and Oshane Ximines, two former 3rd round picks in 2018 and 2019 respectively. Behind them is another former 3rd round pick, free agent signing Kyler Fackrell (2016, Green Bay). Expect the Giants to go edge in round 2.

Linebackers – Serviceable but nothing to write home about. Current starters would be free agent signing Blake Martinez (also formerly with the Packers), and 2019 5th round pick Ryan Connelly, who looked promising until he did his ACL in week 4. Depth is another former 5th rounder, David Mayo (2015), who recently signed a three-year extension after being signed last offseason from the Panthers (note that he can be cut after one year with no dead cap). Plenty of Giants fans are wanting Gettleman to use the #4 overall pick on Clemson LB/S hybrid Isaiah Simmons. I’m not convinced the positional value matches up with a top 4 pick, so I’m hoping they stick with tackle at #4 and look to add LB depth in the middle-to-late rounds.

Cornerbacks – Current starters are free agent signing James Bradberry, and 2019 1st round pick Deandre Baker. Baker looked BAD early last year but he did improve as the season went on. His development will be crucial to the Giants secondary fortunes. Nickel is Corey Ballentine (another 2019 rookie, 6th round), while Sam Beal (2018 supplemental draft, 3rd round) and Grant Haley (2018 undrafted) provide additional depth. The Giants have spent plenty of capital over the last couple of drafts at CB (including moving up for Baker), so I don’t expect any CBs in the early or mid rounds.

Safety – Jabrill Peppers (brought over in the OBJ trade) and Julian Love (4th round pick, 2019) are the starters here, with Rashaan Gaulden (3rd round pick by Carolina, 2018) providing depth. Gettleman traditionally hasn’t valued the safety position, so I don’t expect a high pick here either.

Summary – I’m predicting Giants to go OT, DE, C, and LB in the first, second, third and 4th rounds respectively (note the 3rd round pick is a comp pick, after they gave up their regular 3rd to the Jets in the trade for Leonard Williams). In the 5th and 6th rounds I think they take BPA, and then look to add depth at WR/S/CB/OL with their four 7th round picks.
DAMN!
Offense has pieces, but they aren't close to competing.
Outside of DT, that D is awful
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Matt wrote:
the bone wrote: March 27, 2020, 12:05 pm I'll start with the New York Football Giants.

DAMN!
Offense has pieces, but they aren't close to competing.
Outside of DT, that D is awful
Yep, they’re set at the offensive skill positions, but the D is bad. I mean real bad. Another top 10 pick should be on the cards. But hopefully with a good draft this year and next, plus some 2021 free agents, they should be able to compete for the final 2-3 years that they have Barkley and Jones on their rookie deals.

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Ill be VERY curious to see Jones's development this year. He showed some REALLY positive signs but also some super bad signs
this is going to be a pivotal year for him, and i dont even know which way it's going to go. The change in coaching staff is interesting. The weapons are exceptionally good and the OL is, whilst not the best, servicable for a competent mobile QB

the giants, with their combination of divisive QB and intriguing no name new HC is fascinating to me.
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Botman wrote:Ill be VERY curious to see Jones's development this year. He showed some REALLY positive signs but also some super bad signs
this is going to be a pivotal year for him, and i dont even know which way it's going to go. The change in coaching staff is interesting. The weapons are exceptionally good and the OL is, whilst not the best, servicable for a competent mobile QB

the giants, with their combination of divisive QB and intriguing no name new HC is fascinating to me.
Agreed - even for non-giants fans I think they’ll be an intriguing team to watch in 2020. It’s hard to know what to expect from this coaching staff - reminder that Jason Garrett is the OC and Patrick Graham the DC (former Dolphins DC). But Joe Judge is a total wild card. I have to believe they’ll improve on the last three years, and whilst I think they’ll still end up with a top 10 pick, I reckon it’ll be in the 8-10 range, with a record of 6-10.

Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: March 26, 2020, 6:58 pm QB: Sorted here, we have Wentz, Sudfield and i think they might kick the tyres on Josh McCown again as a back up if needed.

RB: Very happy with this, Miles Sanders is a stud and the late season form of Boston Scott, particularly in the passing game and in the red zone gives me plenty of reason to think he can spell Miles. He was good is pass protection too. I expect they'll draft a bigger back, or maybe they end up getting someone like LeGarrette or Ajayi back for short yardage on the cheap once camp gets closer

WR: By far the biggest problem right now. I am half expecting a trade, but for who i dont know? I thought Diggs was going to be the guy. Things cant be as bad as they were last year, because nothing could.
You assume Arcega-Whiteside is going to improve with an off season and perhaps some better coaching. Alshon and Djax are old and busted and you cant expect 16 games from them, but we should get more out of them then we got this year. Greg Ward proved last year to be someone who can play in this league, so maybe he's moved to the slot... but also, we're drafting a WR. And almost certainly in the first round, we may even trade up for it to get one Ruggs/Juedy/Lamb. So you hope that solves some of the issues.

TE: Dallas and Ertz are as good as it gets and i think that too will help ease the burden on the WRs. So we're set here for the foreseeable future

OL: We've lost some depth at tackle with Peters and Big V leaving, however the OL is pretty set... Dillard, Saumalo, Kelce, Brooks, Johnson... and as long as Dillard is a legit LT, its still one of the best OL's in the league. Mailata is inline for some work as our swing tackle, and i think they'll continue to stock pile at the position so expecting some depth to be brought in late in FA and/or the draft.

CB: They've made substantial changes here, Slay comes in, they've brought in Roby-Coleman who's pretty solid without being spectacular. Drafting someone here in the middle rounds would also make a lot of sense.

S: Losing Jenkins is a huge one but he is 33 and on the decline, i dont know about this plan to play Jalen Mills at S, but we'll see. LOVE the Will Parks signing. That's a S/CB hybrid who can do a lot. I think he'll play a lot too. McLoud is back and he's solid enough though you wouldnt argue about upgrading him if you could.

LB: Next biggest hole outside of WR. It's grim here. Not a lot of talent here. They're going to need to find off the ball LBs and it probably isnt going to be a draft priority. im a little concerned about this. There is easy-ish answers for the other spots. This... is dicey. Nothing really there for FA, im think it would be good to bring Nigel Bradham back on a more palatable deal than what he was on. But honestly we might need another one even if we did sign him.

DL: Studly. We've loaded up here big time. The Hargrave signing is going to give the Eagles constant interior pressure, they'll be rotating Cox, Hargrave and Malik Jackson in there, which is... comfortably the best IDL rotation in the league. You aren't running on this team. Graham, Sweat, Barnett, and Avery on the outside plus i do think there is a sneaky Ngakoue trade here for philly. This is going to be a very good DL, that will hopefully help the LBs

Draft: It's going to be WR early, and maybe even a double dip.I wont be stunned at all to see the Eagles use future draft capital to trade up for a WR, and then use their 2nd round to go in again. This team desperate wants young WRs to come in and grow around Wentz, rather than get vets who Wentz has to adjust to

I think DB's and LB's will be high on the agenda outside of that. And OL if the value is right. The Eagles seem comfortable going to FA for DL, so i dont see them going in on that very early
If i had to guess now, i think the first three rounds will see them come away with 2 WRs and a DB (either safety or corner)
Cows will run, but it won't be the primary focus as it was in the past. I suspect we will keep you more than honest in that regard
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

the bone wrote: March 27, 2020, 10:38 pm
Botman wrote:Ill be VERY curious to see Jones's development this year. He showed some REALLY positive signs but also some super bad signs

Agreed - even for non-giants fans I think they’ll be an intriguing team to watch in 2020. It’s hard to know what to expect from this coaching staff - reminder that Jason Garrett is the OC and Patrick Graham the DC (former Dolphins DC). But Joe Judge is a total wild card. I have to believe they’ll improve on the last three years, and whilst I think they’ll still end up with a top 10 pick, I reckon it’ll be in the 8-10 range, with a record of 6-10.

Honestly, Garrett was a much better OC than HC. That said, he is predictable, always has been, and certainly not a gambler.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Xavier Rhodes, CB, to Colts.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

We just signed Zeurline, yet have Forbath. WHY?!?
Z only missed fewer kicks than Maher last yr. He seems to beon a downhill slide
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

So you thought the Giants were below-average-to-bad? I raise you, one Carolina Panthers squad.

QB – Sad time in Carolina, as the Cam Newton era comes to end. As long as he goes to a team outside of the NFC South/NFC East, I will be rooting for him all the way. In his spot comes Teddy Bridgewater, who signed a three-year deal, which is more like a two-year deal, given the Panthers can cut him after the 2021 season with only $5M dead cap. Back-ups are XFL stand-out P.J. Walker, who led the Houston Roughnecks to a 5-0 record, while leading the league in passing yards and passing TDs. #3 on the depth chart is Will Grier, who looked bad last year; he’ll be lucky to still be on the roster in 12 months-time. I don’t think the Panthers will use their 7th overall pick on a QB; it appears they are trying to position themselves for the Trevor Lawrence/Justin Fields sweepstakes in next year’s draft.

RB – Christian McCaffery is entering year 4 of his rookie deal and the obvious lead back. Behind him are Reggie Bonnafon (undrafted, 2018), Jordan Scarlett (5th round, 2019), and former Seahawk Mike Davis. Not a huge need, but the Panthers could take a flier on a late round RB to upgrade the depth behind CMC.

WR – The Panthers are in a reasonable position here, with recent addition Robby Anderson, 2018 first rounder D.J. Moore, and 2017 second round pick Curtis Samuel the starters. Behind them are return specialists Pharoh Cooper and Brendan Zylstra. The Panthers could do with more depth here, so look for them to add a receiver in a later round.

TE – Probably the weakest of the offensive skill positions, following the departure of Greg Olsen, the TE group is led by Ian Thomas (4th round, 2018). Behind him are veterans Seth DeValve and Chris Manhertz. Look for GM Marty Hurney to find a TE in round 6 or 7.

OL – Current starters left-to-right are: Russel Okong, Tyler Larsen, Matt Paradis, John Miller, and Taylor Moton, with 2019 rookies Greg Little and Dennis Daley providing depth. Having traded 5-time pro bowl guard Trai Turner in exchange for Okung, the plan appears to be for 2019 second round pick Greg Little to sit behind Okung before taking over full time in 2021. After signing Matt Paradis as a free agent last year, the Panthers would’ve been disappointed by his output in 2019. Carolina can save just under $5M by cutting him next year, so spending a mid-to-late round pick on a centre is a strong possibility. The right tackle spot is set with Taylor Moton (2017 second rounder), free agent signing John Miller will be right guard, while Dennis Daley will battle veteran Tyler Larsen for starting honors at left guard. After trading up last year to grab Greg Little, I don’t think the Panthers use their #7 overall pick on an OT, but it would certainly be prudent to investment more in the OL on draft day.

DT – After losing Dontari Poe, Gerald McCoy, and Vernon Butler in free agency, this room is near empty, with only Kawaan Short holding the fort. That’s probably why you’ll see a lot of mock drafts with Auburn DT Derrick Brown going to Carolina at #7 overall. Personally, I don’t think DTs are worth top 10 picks unless you’re getting someone the caliber of Aaron Donald, so I’m hoping the Panthers go in another direction.

Edge – This group is lead by 2019 first round pick Bryan Burns. Supporting him are former international pathway player Efe Obada, free agency signing Stephen Weatherly (Vikings), 2018 fourth round pick Marquis Haynes, and 2019 fourth rounder Christian Miller. Clearly, with the losses of Mario Addison and Bruce Irvin, this position needs an upgrade. Look for the Panthers to go edge on day 2.

Linebackers – Following Luke Kuechly’s retirement, recently re-signed Shaq Thompson becomes the lead man here. At this point Thompson will be starting alongside former Lion and Raider Tahir Whitehead, with two 2018 draft picks providing depth - Andre Smith (7th round) and Jermaine Carter (5th round). This is another group that could do with a significant upgrade, which brings Clemson LB Isaiah Simmons into play at #7 overall.

Cornerbacks – If you haven’t realized already, you surely will now – this defense is trash! Following the departure of James Bradberry to the Giants, 2018 second rounder Donte Jackson is really the only recognizable name, unless you’ve heard of Corn Elder, Dominique Hatfield or Natrell Jamerson (kudus to you if so). Clearly, SIGNIFICANT upgrades needed here. Unfortunately Ohio State CB Jeff Okudah will likely be off the board by the time Carolina is on the clock, and it doesn’t seem like any other CBs are worthy of a top 10 pick, so look for the Panthers to grab a CB in the second round.

Safety – The safety group is led by recently re-signed Tre Boston and T.J. Green, a former 2nd round pick by the Colts in 2016. Also from the class of 2016, free agent signing Justin Borris (4th round, Jets) provides depth. Another weak position group that needs resources allocated in the draft.

Summary – Boy, going over that defense was brutal. I knew it was bad, but wow. Similar to the Giants, the Panthers are mostly set at the offensive skills positions, while the OL could do with an upgrade. This defense, left unattended, could single handedly deliver the Panthers their first #1 overall pick since 2011, when they selected Cam Newton. So, given the plight of the Panthers D, I think they have no choice but to use the # 7 overall pick on the highest rated defender still on their board. If available, I think it would be Okudah, but it’s more likely to be either Simmons on Brown. Then they need to load up on other areas of D in rounds 2, 3, 4 and 5, and hope they can find some gems in the later rounds to add depth at OL, WR and TE. This front office has a lot of work to do.