Post by sprintman »

Way overdue.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Re: NRL set to suspend 2020 competition due to coronavirus

Post by -PJ- »

Thanks for a solid 2 weeks Todd.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

LimeGreenMachine wrote: March 23, 2020, 5:25 pm I dont think the NRL will let clubs die. Not through this. They will do their best to keep clubs afloat
As Todd said there is going to be a reset . Wages , salary cap etc is going to be much lower once this is over
According to V’landys last week, the NRL has 12 weeks of cash until they go broke without the TV money. Which stops once the games are suspended.

They said on Fox earlier that the AFL is in negotiations with the NAB for a $250m loan borrowed against their assets so that their 18 clubs stay afloat over the next six months. Assets like Marvel Stadium, which they own. The NRL owns bugger all. And they have significantly less cash on hand than the AFL.

Given the NRL was knocked back for a $30m loan a few years ago, this doesn’t fill me with confidence that all 16 clubs are going to make it. Especially clubs like Manly and The Titans who are privately owned and whose owners will now be haemorrhaging millions of dollars to keep them alive, or the Sharks who are massively overextended, or then Dogs who have no sponsors and were counting on leagues club money.

If this is a six month shutdown, the league will look incredibly different on the other end.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Surely the single biggest cost for the NRL is player salary.

They said early on that there was provision to reduce wages in the event of disaster interrupting the season.

Old mate on $1mil per season might have to scrape by on $500k
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

Also concerned that if we do stay afloat, what our team looks like in the future. Wouldn't mind betting our Poms are the first ones to leave.

Ah well I guess there are bigger fish to fry at the moment.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Raider47 wrote:Also concerned that if we do stay afloat, what our team looks like in the future. Wouldn't mind betting our Poms are the first ones to leave.

To where?

The ESL is basically dead, only thing that will survive are rugby clubs owned by corporations ie Panasonic

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

-TW- wrote: March 23, 2020, 5:54 pm
Raider47 wrote:Also concerned that if we do stay afloat, what our team looks like in the future. Wouldn't mind betting our Poms are the first ones to leave.

To where?

The ESL is basically dead, only thing that will survive are rugby clubs owned by corporations ie Panasonic

Yep. NRL might be their only option as a professional rugby league player.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

The Rugbrugh League family is hurting.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Sticks on NRL 360
GMGT
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Johnny Bateman

Post by GMGT »

What the hell is going on in the world? Who would of expected the way this world would change in a matter of months from about November onwards.. the worst fire season in history and now a killer virus that has been the worst thing to happen since the world wars. The NRL being called off is obviously the least of the world problems at the moment but still a blow none the less.

I'd be extremely surprised if anxiety and depression cases are not at all time records all over the world too. Stay safe everyone, keep your family safe and please for Australia's sake keep your distance from everyone as much as possible. Remember to be nice to people as these are extremely dark days that we are facing and everyone is in this together. God bless you and your families.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Johnboy Bateman will be right to go that's for sure..
GMGT
Simon Woolford

Post by GMGT »

-PJ- wrote: March 23, 2020, 6:14 pm Sticks on NRL 360
What did he say
Butters
Ricky Stuart

Post by Butters »

I know there is much bigger things to worry about right now but.....

Can you believe all of this **** has gone down during our first premiership window in the last 25 years? What are the **** chances of that!

:( :( :(
PROUD MEMBER OF THE CONVERSION ENTHUSIASTS
2009 Golden Boogs: McLinden Award
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

-PJ- wrote:How's Crapnulla going to survive ?
I suspect they might get a rural grant from the Sports minister
GMGT
Simon Woolford

Post by GMGT »

Butters wrote: March 23, 2020, 6:24 pm I know there is much bigger things to worry about right now but.....

Can you believe all of this **** has gone down during our first premiership window in the last 25 years? What are the **** chances of that!

:( :( :(
Unbelievable isn't it. It would only happen while the raiders are at their peak. There is always something to stop us, ALWAYS. Whether it be a Campese knee explosion, a 6 again, or a **** corona virus. ****.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

GMGT wrote: March 23, 2020, 6:21 pm
-PJ- wrote: March 23, 2020, 6:14 pm Sticks on NRL 360
What did he say
Everything from being dissapointed about today's decision to stop play, how to manage the workloads and training for the future not knowing when it's back on, and the struggle of all Australians right now..

Spoke very well did Stick.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Azza wrote: March 23, 2020, 5:31 pm Hopefully addin fonua blake doesn't do it too hard. Muppet.
Yeah, now he's on his own, dealing with it with the rest of society.
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

Timbo wrote: March 23, 2020, 5:43 pm
LimeGreenMachine wrote: March 23, 2020, 5:25 pm I dont think the NRL will let clubs die. Not through this. They will do their best to keep clubs afloat
As Todd said there is going to be a reset . Wages , salary cap etc is going to be much lower once this is over
According to V’landys last week, the NRL has 12 weeks of cash until they go broke without the TV money. Which stops once the games are suspended.

They said on Fox earlier that the AFL is in negotiations with the NAB for a $250m loan borrowed against their assets so that their 18 clubs stay afloat over the next six months. Assets like Marvel Stadium, which they own. The NRL owns bugger all. And they have significantly less cash on hand than the AFL.

Given the NRL was knocked back for a $30m loan a few years ago, this doesn’t fill me with confidence that all 16 clubs are going to make it. Especially clubs like Manly and The Titans who are privately owned and whose owners will now be haemorrhaging millions of dollars to keep them alive, or the Sharks who are massively overextended, or then Dogs who have no sponsors and were counting on leagues club money.

If this is a six month shutdown, the league will look incredibly different on the other end.

We have a good product so Im imagining someone like Fox keeping it alive.

Comp will look different and players wages may not be what they were. Salary Cap will be lower
Timbo
David Furner

Post by Timbo »

LimeGreenMachine wrote: March 23, 2020, 6:49 pm
Timbo wrote: March 23, 2020, 5:43 pm

We have a good product so Im imagining someone like Fox keeping it alive.

Comp will look different and players wages may not be what they were. Salary Cap will be lower
If it’s the broadcasters who keep it alive wholly and solely, then some Sydney clubs are definitely gone.

If you were creating a new league from scratch, you sure as hell wouldn’t put nine teams in Sydney. If the NRL falls apart and the broadcasters step in, you can bet they’ll want a second Brisbane and Perth team to increase the reach for the advertisers.

As a Raiders fan, I’m nervous. But if I was a Manly/Cronulla/Canterbury/Wests/Saints fan? I’d be bloody terrified.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

A message from Canberra Raiders CEO Don Furner and Head Coach Ricky Stuart

The Canberra Raiders support the NRL’s decision today to suspend the competition due to the COVID-19 Pandemic and assure members and fans of the club that the Raiders will be doing everything they can to make sure they are ready to go once the competition resumes.

Raiders CEO Don Furner said although the news today was extremely disappointing, the club respects the decision and would best prepare as they could to return to the field when they are able.

“Although we’re disappointed with the outcome of today’s decision, we agree with the NRL that the health and wellbeing of our players and staff remains paramount during these tough times,” Furner said.

“We will be working through the implications of this decision over the coming days, but I can assure all of our members and fans that we will be doing all we can to ensure the future of our club.”

“We want to thank all of our Raiders family for their messages of support during this period. We will endeavour to keep you updated when we have more information.”

Raiders Coach Ricky Stuart said although the game faced a huge challenge, it was not limited to just rugby league and the Raiders.

“Rugby League has bounced back from many challenges before and I know the united approach from the clubs and game will see the game return when we can,” Stuart said. “This is a hard time for not only rugby league but all of society and we want to wish all of our members and fans the best during this tough time and we will see you on the other side.”

Canberra Raiders media

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart prepares for 'tough' NRL season suspension

Canberra Raiders chief Don Furner says the club "will be doing all we can to ensure the future of our club" as coach Ricky Stuart grapples with his side's looming stint on the sideline. Stuart is confident the Raiders squad will do their bit to curb the spread of the virus and his reasoning is simple.

"The big thing is they want to play footy. Nearly 100 per cent of these guys have been playing footy since the age of five, six, seven years old," Stuart said on NRL 360.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14280

@TheGHRaiders on Twitter

‪#Canberra #Raiders coach Ricky Stuart speaks about the suspension of the 2020 NRL season due to the coronavirus pandemic. #NRL #WeAreRaiders #wearecbr‬

‪'I'm sad and disappointed' https://www.foxsports.com.au/video/leag ... ed!770164‬

NRL season suspended in midst of coronavirus pandemic: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

I think there was no other choice now. Once QLD closed its borders it was curtains.

I went to see my physio today. A week and a half since my last appointment. And we said at the same time, how is that since the last time we saw each other the world turned upside down? I got my clearance to return to skating today...but the rink is closed, and who knows how long for?

On the aspect of owning stuff and loans - well, the Raiders own that big block with the shiny new training facility in Braddon, right? Prime real estate. Surely we could leverage that with a bank. But man, oh man, the Bulldogs must be about ready to kill those two idiots right now for losing them sponsorship. Feel bad for their fans.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

LP Raider wrote:Have to say Pete did all he could.

NRL in good hands with this bloke, happy for him to pump Greenberg when things settle down.
Pump him in a sexual way?

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
In Ricky We Trust
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Brew wrote: March 23, 2020, 7:40 pm
LP Raider wrote:Have to say Pete did all he could.

NRL in good hands with this bloke, happy for him to pump Greenberg when things settle down.
Pump him in a sexual way?

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
As long as he adheres to social distancing..
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Pump it pump it nice and hard.
This place is woke.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Re: Canberra Raiders prepare for tough times after NRL season suspension

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

The Nickman wrote:If they moved all of the players out to **** nowhere TODAY and kept them isolated I'd be happy with the comp continuing.

But there's just no way they should continue to travel to keep the comp going. People shouldn't be allowed to travel between towns already!
Problem is, they’re NRL players. Guaranteed there’d be a group of at least 10 of them sneaking out for some action, and coming back with Corona
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

National Roosters League needs to become a reality. Step up Uncle Nick and provide salary sombreros for all.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Had a look at upcoming sports on Ladbrokes account. There's still some European table tennis going on.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:
The Nickman wrote:If they moved all of the players out to **** nowhere TODAY and kept them isolated I'd be happy with the comp continuing.

But there's just no way they should continue to travel to keep the comp going. People shouldn't be allowed to travel between towns already!
Problem is, they’re NRL players. Guaranteed there’d be a group of at least 10 of them sneaking out for some action, and coming back with Corona
At minimum..

T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

I am seriously struggling for a reason to live

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Lucky
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Lucky »

Hooray, now we get to watch replays of rounds 1 and 2 on fox league for the next 12 months....
looks like its time to cut off foxtel, no sport to watch... THANKS CORONA! :doubt: :nooo :cry:
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

T_R wrote:I am seriously struggling for a reason to live
How about if I wrote some Haikus for you?
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

If you think about it half the clubs have gone broke and changed ownership or been bailed out multiple times. Technically we have a few seasons as a different entity ourselves. So really this is nothing new, it just might be tougher to find buyers this time around.
Last edited by edwahu on March 23, 2020, 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

All the best to you T_R. In my dark times the love for my family has pulled me through. I hope you can find something to get you through this period.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Hang in there mate. These are terrible times but they are not forever.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

I can fully appreciate why this decision has been made. I'm not entirely sure the players are safer while not being managed or playing in the NRL, nor am I sure it makes a jot of difference to the greater risk of the community, but I guess the decision was made on the basis of the best available information.

Meanwhile the vast majority of workplaces go on with business (almost) as usual, while some effectively shut down entirely. Hopefully the strategy works.

Thankfully the world is not dealing with this during a period of major conflict. It will be interesting to see what happens if this drags on beyond 6 months though.