Canberra Raiders prepare for tough times after NRL season suspension

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

T_R
Don Furner

Re: All NRL games from Round 2 to be played without fans due to coronavirus

Post by T_R »

Azza wrote:
Roger Kenworthy wrote: March 21, 2020, 6:26 am I'll be VERY surprised if Round 3 goes ahead.
Nickman said that about round 2. At some stage one of you has to be right.
To quote the words of US President Bloomberg "Nick's predictive powers appear to be on the wane "

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Travis
David Grant
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Travis »

I suspect that school closures will be the last choice of the government. They have placed too much stock to date that children will not contract or pass on the disease (whether this is entirely accurate or not is being debated by various experts), and that they need to be babysat to allow their working parents to continue working. My guess is that, if anything, an extra week may be tacked on to the end of the Easter holidays.

If the situation gets particularly bad after that, I think schools may continue to operate on a skeleton staff and remain open to the children of parents who can't afford to stop working. There is already high absenteeism as parents opt to keep their children home, out of concern or because their child is sick, so this plan will merely be an escalation of what is already occurring.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Azza wrote: March 21, 2020, 8:22 am
Roger Kenworthy wrote: March 21, 2020, 6:26 am I'll be VERY surprised if Round 3 goes ahead.
I will be VERY surprised if we get a full season of Rugbah League.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Azza wrote:
Throw enough darts you're bound to hit the board eventually

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

-TW- wrote: March 21, 2020, 9:59 am
Azza wrote:

With the comp still running now here will need to be a significant change in events for them to stop e.g. player or staff test positive, full social distancing policy put into place, total ban on air travel etc. Otherwise I expect it to continue indefinitely as is.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Northern Raider wrote:
Azza wrote:

With the comp still running now here will need to be a significant change in events for them to stop e.g. player or staff test positive, full social distancing policy put into place, total ban on air travel etc. Otherwise I expect it to continue indefinitely as is.
Any or all of those things are likely to happen at some point.

I can see it now. Midseason, top of the table, premiership favourites. Competition cancelled.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Dr Zaius wrote: March 21, 2020, 10:12 am
Northern Raider wrote:
Azza wrote:

I can see it now. Midseason, top of the table, premiership favourites. Competition cancelled.
Trent Robinson will have infected patients sitting by Johnny Batemans air con unit at night....
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Coastalraider wrote: March 21, 2020, 8:57 am The only issue I have with this is that the data is inaccurate due to each country having a different testing procedure.

I know first hand that I have been to doctors this week showing some real signs and symptoms of this virus, and doctors have their hands tied and said I cannot be tested due to the fact I have not been overseas or come into known contact with a confirmed carrier. Testing MAY be different in the act, but we are being super strict up here. Given that the case numbers now have a large % of ‘unknown’ origin patients, it’s accepted the virus is now in the public community. However, that public community are not able to be tested, therefore the only way to be to be listed is to be hospitalised and tested.

South Korea have tested over 316,000 people, we have tested 113,000. Data is skewed.

We are also only looking at total numbers, not %of capita.

Not arguing on trajectory, just saying some of the data is definitely inaccurate.

Check this one out as well, some good stuff on here.

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/tota ... ion-people
Yep, there is a lot of data out there and a lot of ways to slice and dice the information. You're also right in saying all the data is skewed, based on the numbers of people actually tested in each country and the reliability of their reporting (e.g. nobody can convince me there are only 199 known cases in Russia).

In saying that, I think the known infection rate per head of population is one of the best indicators of the trajectory of the virus in each country.

As it stands, Italy is now 50 days after its first known case and they have 777 infections per 1 million people. In comparison, after 50 days of the first known case in Australia, we had 10 infections per 1 million. After 50 days, Singapore had 33 cases/1 million; the USA had 3 cases/1 million; and the UK had 60 cases/1 million. France is only at day 25 and they already have 188 cases/1 million (...they are seriously ****). Therefore, all countries are on slightly different trajectories.

The info I've seen (based on a limited number of countries) indicate the virus takes off a bit when cases hit around 30 per 1 million.

Australia is now at 56 days after our first known case and we have 36 infections per 1 million population. We could now be at risk of this thing taking off, but fortunately our low initial rate of infection has given the government enough time to finally implement some sensible exclusion measures. It will be interesting to see how well those policies work.
Last edited by Seiffert82 on March 21, 2020, 10:32 am, edited 4 times in total.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Northern Raider wrote: March 21, 2020, 10:09 am
Azza wrote:

Exactly. Developments happening around the world or in other parts of our economy don't necessarily reflect what will happen with the NRL.

The ARLC have come out with a reasonably clear plan and way forward. The clubs and players know the deal and have access to the best available information.

It's good leadership IMO. Decisions aren't being made on panic, gut instinct or throwing darts at a dartboard.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Northern Raider wrote:
Azza wrote:

We’ll still act like we won
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Seiffert82 wrote: March 21, 2020, 10:20 am
Coastalraider wrote: March 21, 2020, 8:57 am The only issue I have with this is that the data is inaccurate due to each country having a different testing procedure.

I know first hand that I have been to doctors this week showing some real signs and symptoms of this virus, and doctors have their hands tied and said I cannot be tested due to the fact I have not been overseas or come into known contact with a confirmed carrier. Testing MAY be different in the act, but we are being super strict up here. Given that the case numbers now have a large % of ‘unknown’ origin patients, it’s accepted the virus is now in the public community. However, that public community are not able to be tested, therefore the only way to be to be listed is to be hospitalised and tested.

South Korea have tested over 316,000 people, we have tested 113,000. Data is skewed.

Not arguing on trajectory, just saying some of the data is definitely inaccurate.

Yep, there is a lot of data out there and a lot of ways to slice and dice the information. You're also right in saying all the data is skewed, based on the numbers of people actually tested in each country and the reliability of their reporting (e.g. nobody can convince me there are only 199 known cases in Russia).

In saying that, I think the known infection rate per head of population is one of the best indicators of the trajectory of the virus in each country.

As it stands, Italy is now 50 days after its first known case and they have 777 infections per 1 million people. In comparison, after 50 days of the first known case in Australia, we had 10 infections per 1 million. After 50 days, Singapore had 33/1 million; the USA had 3 cases/1 million; and the UK had 60 cases/1 million. All on slightly different trajectories.

The info from a limited number of countries indicate the virus takes off a bit when cases hit around 30 per 1 million.

Australia is now at 56 days after our first known cases and we have 36 infections per 1 million population. We could now be at risk of this thing taking off, but fortunately our low initial rate of infection has given the government enough time to finally implement some sensible exclusion measures. It will be interesting to see how well they work.
Yep, I’m following Seif, but if each country is testing at a different rate per capita, then the infection rate per capita will be different as well. Look at us vs the US for example. We are testing 4,500 per mill - US testing 313 per mill. Those sample sizes are so radically different, the data they generate while relevant in itself is not suitable for comparison to each other. To say we vs them had xxx cases after a Certain time is non comparable if the testing protocols are so radically different.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Coastalraider wrote: March 21, 2020, 10:30 am

As it stands, Italy is now 50 days after its first known case and they have 777 infections per 1 million people. In comparison, after 50 days of the first known case in Australia, we had 10 infections per 1 million. After 50 days, Singapore had 33/1 million; the USA had 3 cases/1 million; and the UK had 60 cases/1 million. All on slightly different trajectories.

The info from a limited number of countries indicate the virus takes off a bit when cases hit around 30 per 1 million.

Australia is now at 56 days after our first known cases and we have 36 infections per 1 million population. We could now be at risk of this thing taking off, but fortunately our low initial rate of infection has given the government enough time to finally implement some sensible exclusion measures. It will be interesting to see how well they work.
Yep, I’m following Seif, but if each country is testing at a different rate per capita, then the infection rate per capita will be different as well. Look at us vs the US for example. We are testing 4,500 per mill - US testing 313 per mill. Those sample sizes are so radically different, the data they generate while relevant in itself is not suitable for comparison to each other. To say we vs them had xxx cases after a Certain time is non comparable if the testing protocols are so radically different.
Yep, that probably largely explains why the US official rate of infection was only 3 cases/1 million at 50 days.

It's like trying to figure out the real mortality rate, when you have a pretty good indication of the numbers of deaths, but no real indication of the actual numbers of infections and real recoveries. The actual infection rate could be 10 times more, making the mortality rate 10 times less. Who knows?!

You're right. All the data is unreliable, but it can give an indication of what policies do and don't work over time.

With all the available information, I honestly believe Australia is in a relatively good position compared to most of the world. The government is just fortunate that we are geographically isolated from the rest of the world. What we are seeing in Western Europe (France, Italy, Spain, Switzerland etc) is clearly out of control. It's awful.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Azza wrote:
I reckon they’ll try and push through to at least round 5-7. The more rounds they can get through now, the less they’ll need to make up in Oct-Nov.

If they do that, it’ll be interesting to see what they do, considering the T20 World Cup has booked out most major stadiums
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

I think we are far more likely to see a full NRL season than a T20 World Cup in October. Time will tell.

Won't those games be played on different grounds? That will more likely impact the AFL.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

2 things stand out to me in all this data. Firstly how close Australia and Canada are in just about every measure. Next is the disturbingly low number of tests being conducted in NZ. Only around 600 tests in total up till Tuesday. :shock:
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Northern Raider wrote: March 21, 2020, 10:54 am

2 things stand out to me in all this data. Firstly how close Australia and Canada are in just about every measure. Next is the disturbingly low number of tests being conducted in NZ. Only around 600 tests in total up till Tuesday. :shock:
Yeah, Canada was at about 23 infections/1 Million after 50 days. Just ahead of us. Makes sense - large country with dispersed population focused on a handful of big cities. Reasonable rates of tourism out of Asia, but a bit more connected with the rest of the world.
Last edited by Seiffert82 on March 21, 2020, 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Northern Raider wrote:
Azza wrote:

I'm guessing we'll see a ramp up in controversy and pressure over whether it is in good taste to continue this week. Already been murmurs the past week.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Seiffert82 wrote:I think we are far more likely to see a full NRL season than a T20 World Cup in October. Time will tell.

Won't those games be played on different grounds? That will more likely impact the AFL.
Pretty much,

SCG, MCG, Kardinia Park, Gabba, Adelaide Oval, Perth Stadium

zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Dr Zaius wrote: March 21, 2020, 5:58 am
zim wrote:Another vid if anyone is interested in a quick covid summary. A word of warning: if you get anxious watching a rapidly multiplying infection do not watch.

They've listed some handy sources (WHO) too if anyone is looking for more information:
https://sites.google.com/view/sourcescorona

Great video
That channel does great work on explaining important topics.
Being able to show a friend why homeopathy is useless in a 6 min video with cute animations is so much more effective than just beating them with a sack.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

zim wrote: March 21, 2020, 11:56 am
zim wrote:Another vid if anyone is interested in a quick covid summary. A word of warning: if you get anxious watching a rapidly multiplying infection do not watch.

They've listed some handy sources (WHO) too if anyone is looking for more information:

Great video
Being able to show a friend why homeopathy is useless in a 6 min video with cute animations is so much more effective than just beating them with a sack.
:lol:
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

zim wrote:

Great video
But not as fun
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

All NRL games from Round 2 to be played without fans due to coronavirus

Post by gangrenous »

Tackled without it, come on

Wrong thread ****
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

gangrenous wrote:Tackled without it, come on

Wrong thread ****
Probably relevant if you're in Coles..

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

If today is the standard we can expect the Warriors to get every favourable call for the rest of the season

Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

-TW- wrote:
gangrenous wrote:Tackled without it, come on

Wrong thread ****
Probably relevant if you're in Coles..

ImageImageImage
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

Finally we get a **** ruck penalty

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Makaveli wrote: March 21, 2020, 3:37 pm Finally we get a **** ruck penalty

I think you're allowed 1 per customer now
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

Far out..

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Makaveli wrote:Finally we get a **** ruck penalty

How hard is it to get it in the right thread man? Image
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

Clearly, very
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Don't take this away from me Rona

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Well I’ve just been in tears listening to this. Take a few minutes.

The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Makaveli wrote:If today is the standard we can expect the Warriors to get every favourable call for the rest of the season
And Frankly, so they should.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Coastalraider wrote:Well I’ve just been in tears listening to this. Take a few minutes.

Listen to this guy.

In a few weeks this is us.

Health care workers are dying looking after people who have refused to listen to their advice.

We are terrified about what is coming.

For **** sake stay at home. Keep your family at home. Tell your friends to stay at home and shout at our government to pull their finger out and lock it down now. It's nearly too late.