Post by greeneyed »

2020 Rd 1 V Titans: Game Day

Canberra Raiders V Gold Coast Titans
Friday March 13 6:00pm
Canberra Stadium
Tickets: Click here
TV coverage: Fox League Channel 502
Radio: ABC, Mix 106.3
Weather: Sunny. Light winds becoming northwesterly 15 to 20 km/h in the middle of the day then becoming light in the evening. Chance of any rain: 5 per cent. Min 10 Max 26

The Canberra Raiders head into Round 1 of the 2020 NRL season after a pre-season disrupted by bushfires, injuries, suspension and more. Canberra played only one pre-season trial - winning 12-10 over the Canterbury Bulldogs at Port Macquarie. The Raiders were definitely rusty and the handling from both teams was poor. Canberra's all new right edge showed it will need some time to build combinations. Of course, we shouldn't expect too much of a match which carries no competition points and was the first of 2020 for one of the teams.

More on the Port Macquarie trial: As I saw it

Unusually, the Raiders play their first game of the season at home - but against familiar Round 1 opponents, the Gold Coast Titans.

Team news: New Raiders recruit Curtis Scott has been cleared to play by NRL CEO Todd Greenberg. He's facing a number of charges, including assaulting police, after some Australia Day celebrations gone wrong. English recruit George Williams will make his NRL debut at halfback, forming an all new right edge with Scott and Nick Cotric. The Raiders have some problems with injury and suspension. With John Bateman (shoulder surgery), Ryan Sutton (suspended), Hudson Young (suspended) all on the sidelines, Canberra's back row depth is going to be tested. Corey Horsburgh has been named in Bateman's spot, while Michael Oldfield has been included as a utility on the bench.

The Titans have named the injured AJ Brimson (back) and Moeaki Fotuaika (knee) - while Shannon Boyd (shoulder) has been left out of the squad. Ryan James suffered a season-ending ACL injury during the off season. Phillip Sami takes Brimson’s fullback spot, while Sam Lisone has been named at starting prop. Former Newtown Jets prop Jaimin Joliffe will make make his NRL debut from the bench.

Late changes: The Canberra Raiders omitted Semi Valemei and Tom Starling from their squad on Thursday, with both players set to take the field for Mounties in NSW Cup on Sunday. The Titans ruled out two players under an injury cloud: Moeaki Fotuaika and Alexander Brimson.

Milestones: Co-captain Jarrod Croker is just four points away from scoring 2000 career points. He is set to become the first player to reach 2000 points before age 30.

History: Canberra has won 11 of 23 games against the Gold Coast Titans - and 26 of 40 games played against all incarnations of the Gold Coast. The Raiders have won six of the past 10 matches against the Titans. They lost in the Round 1 clash of 2018 in the final two minutes, 30-28... after leading 24-6 at one stage. The Raiders got some revenge at Canberra Stadium in Round 9, winning the re-match 32-18. Canberra held the Gold Coast scoreless in Round 1 2019, posting a 21-0 victory at Robina. The Raiders have won six of the 10 games played against the Titans at Canberra Stadium, but only two since 2010.

2019 Round 1 Canberra Raiders V Gold Coast Titans

2018 Round 9 Canberra Raiders V Gold Coast Titans

2018 Round 1 Canberra Raiders V Gold Coast Titans

Form: Raiders: WLWWL
Titans: LLLLL

The Titans have not won a premiership match since the Round 13 victory over the Brisbane Broncos at Lang Park - so they are on an 11 game losing streak. The Titans lost what was effectively an "in house" trial against the Burleigh Bears, 18-16. But when fielding a full strength team, they produced a 28-22 comeback win over the Brisbane Broncos at Redcliffe. The Raiders won three of their final five matches of 2019, just falling short of a Grand Final win against the Sydney Roosters (8-14). The other loss came in the final round against the Warriors (20-24) when the Raiders rested a number of their stars.

Betting: The Raiders are firm $1.28 favourites, while the Titans are paying $3.60. The Titans have a very big 10 points start in the line betting. The Titans' odds have lengthened over the week.

Stat attack: The Raiders finished fourth in 2019, while the Titans took the wooden spoon, winning just four matches. The Titans scored an average of just 15 points and conceded 27 points per match. The Raiders meanwhile averaged 22 points scored and conceded just under 16 points per game.

2019 season record: Raiders 17 and 10 (finished 4th, +158)
Titans 4 and 20 (finished 16th, -281)

2019 home and away records: Raiders 6 of 12 at home
Titans 2 of 12 away

Our tip: The Titans had a nightmare 2019, with coach Garth Brennan eventually sacked. He's been replaced by Justin Holbrook - who had success in the European Super League with St Helens. He should make a difference, and it won't be surprising if they climb off the bottom of the ladder. They actually looked fairly good with the ball in hand in the Nines, under the new management. However, it is going to take time for him to rebuild the playing stocks. The Raiders should win this game, but it will probably be closer than some might expect. The Raiders are impacted by injury and suspension. In addition, Canberra's new right edge will be under pressure to form their defensive and attacking combinations. The Raiders' recent record at Canberra Stadium is also less than impressive. However, I'll stick with the Green Machine in this one. Raiders by six.

What they're saying:

Josh Hodgson on the Port Macquarie trial and the arrival of George Williams: "We had some combinations that worked pretty well, George swung around to the left side a couple of times and we ended up stacking the fullback and both halves on one side. So, we tried a couple of things, George sweeping, George at first receiver so I think we got a lot out of it. He's fit into the structure pretty well."

Nick Cotric on the Raiders' new right edge: "It's been great getting Georgie Williams over and Curtis, they're great players and we’re just working on our combinations. Curtis is a great player, he's played in a grand final and he fits into that role perfectly and he's a strong ball-runner and he talks ... he's a great communicator."

Canberra Raiders

1. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
2. Bailey Simonsson
3. Jarrod Croker
4. Curtis Scott
5. Nick Cotric
6. Jack Wighton
7. George Williams
8. Josh Papalii
9. Josh Hodgson
10. Dunamis Lui
11. Corey Horsburgh
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Joe Tapine

14. Siliva Havili
15. Emre Guler
16. Sia Soliola
17. Michael Oldfield

18. Jack Murchie
19. Sam Williams

Injury/Suspension
Ryan Sutton, Suspension (Round 2)
Hudson Young, Suspension (Round 6)
John Bateman, Shoulder (Round 7-8)
Luke Bateman, Knee (Round 8)
Sebastian Kris, Extended sick leave

Gold Coast Titans

1. Phillip Sami
2. Anthony Don
3. Kallum Watkins
4. Tyrone Peachey
5. Dale Copley
6. Tyrone Roberts
7. Ashley Taylor
8. Jarrod Wallace
9. Mitch Rein
10. Sam Lisone
11. Kevin Proctor
12. Bryce Cartwright
13. Jai Arrow

14. Nathan Peats
15. Jai Whitbread
16. Brian Kelly
17. Jaimin Jolliffe

18. Sam Stone
19. Jonus Pearson

Officials

Referees: Chris Sutton, Dave Munro
Touch judges: Phil Henderson, Mark Bohan
Senior review official: Ashley Klein
Video referee: Bryan Norrie

Match Hashtags: #NRL #WeareRaiders #BleedGreen #NRLRaidersTitans

The Greenhouse Hashtags: #WearGreen2020 #FromAllAngles

NSW Cup teams: https://www.thegh.com.au/forum/viewtopi ... 8#p1720248
Junior Representatives teams: https://www.thegh.com.au/forum/viewtopi ... 2#p1720242
All NRL teams: http://ow.ly/e9jq50yHqxn

Plus follow us on Twitter: @TheGHRaiders and Instagram: @TheGHRaiders[/color][/size][/b]
gerg
Laurie Daley

Re: 2020 Rd 1 V Titans: Game Day

Post by gerg »

As a member you used to be able to buy discounted game tickets (for friends/family) but I can't see anything on this on the raiders website. GE do you know anything on this?

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Doesn't look like it's offered anymore, used to put your barcode in as the password

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Game day preview updated for squads and officials: https://www.thegh.com.au/forum/viewtopi ... 8#p1720368
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Already organised to leave work early.

God, how hasn't the Friday 6pm timeslot died yet?
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

TV deal

Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

Does anybody have any idea why we always seem to play the Titans in round 1?

That's been the case for the last 3 years, I think.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Tv deal
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Sterlk wrote: March 10, 2020, 9:31 pm Does anybody have any idea why we always seem to play the Titans in round 1?

They look for “local derbies” and “rivalries” as they see them, for Round 1. We are the left overs.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Shannon Boyd ruled out due to excessively bleeding green
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Sid wrote:Shannon Boyd ruled out due to excessively bleeding green
empty tank

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Sterlk wrote: March 10, 2020, 9:31 pm Does anybody have any idea why we always seem to play the Titans in round 1?

Can anyone tell me why the Raiders haven't been in Newcastle for 3-4 years ?
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

The titans are struggling so they paired them with the peoples team for a boost
Dont delete this GE
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

-PJ- wrote: March 11, 2020, 6:14 am

Safety concerns.

They are coming back to the Central Coast though :hi
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Coastalraider wrote:

Safety concerns.

I'm thinking about coming up for that, CCS looks a picture

Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

-TW- wrote: March 11, 2020, 12:07 pm
Coastalraider wrote:

Safety concerns.

I'm thinking about coming up for that, CCS looks a picture

Best stadium in the country.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

greeneyed wrote:

They look for “local derbies” and “rivalries” as they see them, for Round 1. We are the left overs.
Do you really want to waste your derbies in rd 1? Surely in round 1 fans are ravenous for footy, hell I’ll even watch the Bulldogs play Eels tomorrow night! I reckon they’d get bigger aggregate crowds by using derbies when the shine has worn off footy returning myself...
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

The GF rematch should be a round 1 staple, other than that I'm not too fussed

BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Cmon kickoff. There’s only so much non game discussion I can partake in.

Need to wash off the six again pain and start again.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Post by Northern Raider »

-TW- wrote: March 11, 2020, 3:03 pm The GF rematch should be a round 1 staple, other than that I'm not too fussed

But we have one*

*didn't say which GF
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Post by Northern Raider »

-TW- wrote: March 11, 2020, 3:03 pm The GF rematch should be a round 1 staple, other than that I'm not too fussed

But we have one*

*didn't say which GF
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

We often look quite sketchy in the first few rounds. Glad to be playing against an ordinary team in that regard.

My biggest concern is playing at home. The boys will want to put on a good showing, but have overcooked it in recent years. I cant remember the last time they looked relaxed playing at home.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Yeah I’m not expecting a lot, particularly from George Williams. Could take him a number of games to adjust, so hopefully Wighton’s ready to take the lead in the meantime
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

-PJ- wrote:

It’d be silly to send the side to Newcastle when no Raiders games have been scheduled there. Hope this helps

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Sid wrote: March 11, 2020, 9:16 pm
-PJ- wrote:

It’d be silly to send the side to Newcastle when no Raiders games have been scheduled there. Hope this helps
:lol:
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

gangrenous wrote: March 11, 2020, 1:25 pm
greeneyed wrote:

Do you really want to waste your derbies in rd 1? Surely in round 1 fans are ravenous for footy, hell I’ll even watch the Bulldogs play Eels tomorrow night! I reckon they’d get bigger aggregate crowds by using derbies when the shine has worn off footy returning myself...
Come on, Gangrenous, that makes way too much sense.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Ruben Daley wrote: March 11, 2020, 10:39 pm
gangrenous wrote: March 11, 2020, 1:25 pm
greeneyed wrote:

Come on, Gangrenous, that makes way too much sense.
Bulldogs V Eels is a derby!
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

And it doesn’t factor into me watching it at all. I’m watching it because it’s the first game of the season.
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

Spot on, being first round you'd watch any match ups. "Rivalry round" should have been left to another round

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Game day preview updated for squads, weather and betting: https://thegh.com.au/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 8#p1720368
GMGT
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Johnny Bateman

Post by GMGT »

1 hour till game day 😍 Any idea what's going on with ticketek? I'm getting this error message when I try to get to tickets from the link on this thread.

The page you're looking for doesn't exist.

"The event is either over, or is no longer on sale. Search for your next event experience above, or check out other great events on the Home Page.
"
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Itd be a dud link

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

GMGT wrote: March 12, 2020, 9:56 pm 1 hour till game day 😍 Any idea what's going on with ticketek? I'm getting this error message when I try to get to tickets from the link on this thread.

The page you're looking for doesn't exist.

"The event is either over, or is no longer on sale. Search for your next event experience above, or check out other great events on the Home Page.
"
They clearly changed the link... fixed.
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Joseph 'the worm' Tapine

Post by 1992 »

Game day! you coronavirus having gimps
WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN