Ricky Stuart tells Peter V’landys: ‘Poor cousins’ Raiders ‘need respect’ from NRL

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Ricky Stuart tells Peter V’landys: ‘Poor cousins’ Raiders ‘need respect’ from NRL

Post by greeneyed »

Ricky Stuart tells Peter V’landys: ‘Poor cousins’ Canberra Raiders ‘need more respect’ from NRL

Canberra coach Ricky Stuart believes the Raiders are still treated like the “poor cousins” of the NRL and says the club deserves more respect from the governing bodies.

“There’s a huge perception that we are basically the poor cousins and we don’t feel that we get the opportunities that the other clubs do in a number of areas of the game,” Stuart said.

“This is something that’s been a perception there for a long, long time, and I think it’s very unfair. We often feel like out of mind, out of sight.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 5b7353e9dc

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/we-nee ... 547nc.html
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Ricky Stuart tells Peter V’landys: ‘Poor cousins’ Raiders ‘need respect’ from NRL

Post by greeneyed »

Can’t disagree with the coach on that either. The way Todd Greenberg dealt with the Curtis Scott case was a classic case in point.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Re: Ricky Stuart tells Peter V’landys: ‘Poor cousins’ Raiders ‘need respect’ from NRL

Post by Neeeegz »

Respect is earnt not a given.
But, look at the amount of ex raiders in coaching, we have provided a lot to the NRL from our glory years.
And Ricky and Peter have done brilliant things with signing international standard players... and some promising young blokes. And our window should be open now.
Finish top 2 again and they will have no reason for disrespect
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Neeeegz wrote: March 7, 2020, 6:32 pm Respect is earnt not a given.
But, look at the amount of ex raiders in coaching, we have provided a lot to the NRL from our glory years.
And Ricky and Peter have done brilliant things with signing international standard players... and some promising young blokes. And our window should be open now.
The NRL is the body that runs the competition. It is their DUTY to treat all clubs in the same fashion. It is their DUTY to give all clubs an equal amount of respect. That’s their job, that’s their responsibility. The fact they haven’t been doing that is an indictment on the NRL.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

greeneyed wrote: March 7, 2020, 8:24 pm
Neeeegz wrote: March 7, 2020, 6:32 pm Respect is earnt not a given.
The NRL is the body that runs the competition. It is their DUTY to treat all clubs in the same fashion. It is their DUTY to give all clubs an equal amount of respect. That’s their job, that’s their responsibility. The fact they haven’t been doing that is an indictment on the NRL.
Exactly right. The governing body of a sport is meant to be independent. Teams should not have to make multiple grand finals before they earn it's 'respect'.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

It's ridiculous that this conversation even had to be had. Stuart is right though, there are any number of clubs that do wonderful work in promoting the game that get a raw deal from the NRL.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson

Post by Neeeegz »

100% they should be GE, but the Friday night Broncos are proof they are not
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Neeeegz wrote: March 8, 2020, 6:25 am 100% they should be GE, but the Friday night Broncos are proof they are not
Broncos lead the pack once again in FTA appearances with 18. While we celebrate our massive leap up to 8 matches. Ironically one of the rare Broncos games that isn't on FTA is vs Raiders. Ch9 going with Bulldogs vs Warriors that week. :lol:
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson

Post by Neeeegz »

🤣🤣 gonna be a low rating game there
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

My biggest issue is these "whole of game" sponsorships that go to players in the big city teams, while they trumpet the virtues of the salary cap evening up the competition.

The third party deals are also a bit of a farce.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I think it’s the NRL’s lack of knowledge and understanding of the sports market outside Sydney and central Brisbane.

NRL executives or staff I have talked to don’t understand rugby league in Canberra at all and have no appreciation of the market competition from Union and AFL.

They don’t understand that core rugby league fans and juniors in Canberra are more likely to come from Queanbeyan, Tuggeranong and West Belco. They seem to think all of Canberra is similar to Sydney’s eastern suburbs and Moore Park.

NRL should be thanking their lucky stars that Raiders made the grand final and GWS got flogged in theirs.

Could have been a different scenario quite easily.
GMGT
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Johnny Bateman

Post by GMGT »

BJ wrote: March 9, 2020, 11:34 am I think it’s the NRL’s lack of knowledge and understanding of the sports market outside Sydney and central Brisbane.

NRL executives or staff I have talked to don’t understand rugby league in Canberra at all and have no appreciation of the market competition from Union and AFL.

They don’t understand that core rugby league fans and juniors in Canberra are more likely to come from Queanbeyan, Tuggeranong and West Belco. They seem to think all of Canberra is similar to Sydney’s eastern suburbs and Moore Park.

NRL should be thanking their lucky stars that Raiders made the grand final and GWS got flogged in theirs.

The core of rugby league fans and juniors come from Queanbeyan, tuggers and west belco? Um okay.. that seems like a completely random and baseless statement. How about the rest of Canberra? You know there is rugby league teams (and obviously fans) all around Canberra right....?
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

BJ wrote: March 9, 2020, 11:34 am I think it’s the NRL’s lack of knowledge and understanding of the sports market outside Sydney and central Brisbane.

They should send the NRL CEO on a fact finding mission to major sports events all around the globe.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

GMGT wrote:

The core of rugby league fans and juniors come from Queanbeyan, tuggers and west belco? Um okay.. that seems like a completely random and baseless statement. How about the rest of Canberra? You know there is rugby league teams (and obviously fans) all around Canberra right....?
Of course there’s Raiders fans from all over Canberra, but the higher proportion of league juniors come from these parts of town, whereas rugby union draws primarily through the private school system and AFL a bit of a mix.

Think of the vast majority Canberra based juniors who’ve played for the Raiders, they’re primarily the three areas I mentioned.

I’ve worked across plenty of areas in Canberra and the general lack of Raiders interest from the average inner south or north resident compared to the burbs is massive. Check out the cars at a Brumbies game compared to a Raiders game. It’s BMW’s and Audi versus Holden and Hyundai.

You start naming some Raiders players from inner Canberra and I’ll name 3 times as many from outer rim.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

There really aren't any teams in central Canberra. Woden Valley Rams is the closest team in the south to the city, while Belconnen United Sharks is the closest team to the city in the north. But Belconnen, Gungahlin, Woden, Tuggeranong are all represented, as well as Queanbeyan... and that is where families live. It's not a bad spread.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

greeneyed wrote:There really aren't any teams in central Canberra. Woden Valley Rams is the closest team in the south to the city, while Belconnen United Sharks is the closest team to the city in the north. But Belconnen, Gungahlin, Woden, Tuggeranong are all represented, as well as Queanbeyan... and that is where families live. It's not a bad spread.
Yep, backs up what I mean. Union has clubs like Easts, Darramalin and ANU in the central areas. Eastlake and Ainslie and formally Manuka are Aussie Rules.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

One of the first things people should remember about Ricky Stuart when his time comes, is this is a fiercely passionate RL man who is willing to stand on the table and fight for his region
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

BJ wrote: March 9, 2020, 3:30 pm
greeneyed wrote:There really aren't any teams in central Canberra. Woden Valley Rams is the closest team in the south to the city, while Belconnen United Sharks is the closest team to the city in the north. But Belconnen, Gungahlin, Woden, Tuggeranong are all represented, as well as Queanbeyan... and that is where families live. It's not a bad spread.
Yep, backs up what I mean. Union has clubs like Easts, Darramalin and ANU in the central areas. Eastlake and Ainslie and formally Manuka are Aussie Rules.
I don't know a lot about the rugby union clubs... but I do know Easts rugby union struggle big time, and have long ago lost their licensed club. Central Canberra is basically not a great area for junior football of any sort. The biggest club in union is based in Tuggeranong. Even successful union clubs on the field like Royals lost their licensed club in Weston (the Raiders now own it). Eastlake seem to still do OK as a licensed club in Kingston, and Ainslie is big as well... but even they seem to have diversified to Gungahlin (?). Others probably have a better idea about the clubs in union and rules. But I don't get the sense that central Canberra is the place to be for footy clubs.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Eastlake has 4 clubs (EFC, Gungahlin, Kaleen, Calwell) Ainslie has 2 big clubs in Ainslie and Gungahlin Lakes

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

-TW- wrote: March 9, 2020, 6:46 pm Eastlake has 4 clubs (EFC, Gungahlin, Kaleen, Calwell) Ainslie has 2 big clubs in Ainslie and Gungahlin Lakes

I think that confirms what I was thinking... without diversifying to the suburbs, the central Canberra clubs wouldn't be surviving.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

greeneyed wrote:
-TW- wrote: March 9, 2020, 6:46 pm Eastlake has 4 clubs (EFC, Gungahlin, Kaleen, Calwell) Ainslie has 2 big clubs in Ainslie and Gungahlin Lakes

I think that confirms what I was thinking... without diversifying to the suburbs, the central Canberra clubs wouldn't be surviving.
Which still backs up what I’m trying to say.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

BJ wrote: March 9, 2020, 7:19 pm
greeneyed wrote:

Which still backs up what I’m trying to say.
What are you trying to say again?
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

That the core base of Rugby League juniors and fans in Canberra come from Queanbeyan, Belco and Tuggeranong and this relates to my key point that the NRL don’t understand Canberra rugby league demographics and they think we’re a bunch of rich fat cats. And if the NRL were any good as an organisation they would understand their product outside Sydney and Brisbane.

Note I wasn’t saying there isn’t rugby league fans right across the city, just the NRL has no insight into Canberra outside Braddon and the airport.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

BJ wrote: March 9, 2020, 9:18 pm That the core base of Rugby League juniors and fans in Canberra come from Queanbeyan, Belco and Tuggeranong and this relates to my key point that the NRL don’t understand Canberra rugby league demographics and they think we’re a bunch of rich fat cats. And if the NRL were any good as an organisation they would understand their product outside Sydney and Brisbane.

Note I wasn’t saying there isn’t rugby league fans right across the city, just the NRL has no insight into Canberra outside Braddon and the airport.
I think you're overlooking Gungahlin and Woden/Weston. Molonglo will be the next area and rugby league will need to move in there soon. Rugby league needs to be where the young families are.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

greeneyed wrote:
BJ wrote: March 9, 2020, 9:18 pm That the core base of Rugby League juniors and fans in Canberra come from Queanbeyan, Belco and Tuggeranong and this relates to my key point that the NRL don’t understand Canberra rugby league demographics and they think we’re a bunch of rich fat cats. And if the NRL were any good as an organisation they would understand their product outside Sydney and Brisbane.

I think you're overlooking Gungahlin and Woden/Weston. Molonglo will be the next area and rugby league will need to move in there soon. Rugby league needs to be where the young families are.
I’m not overlooking them. You’re making up what I’m saying up. My list wasn’t exhaustive. Of course Gungahlin and new areas will emerge, I’m just saying that core canberra rugby league juniors and fans aren’t coming from inner canberra and that this area has some more solid Union fans and AFL than outer canberra. I can’t believe people are trying to deny this.

Some people on the GH obviously need to spend a bit more time in Queanbeyan with Campo, Tuggers with Cotric than sipping Chardonnay with Greenberg on the Kingston foreshore.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

BJ wrote: March 9, 2020, 9:56 pm
greeneyed wrote:

I’m not overlooking them. You’re making up what I’m saying up. My list wasn’t exhaustive. Of course Gungahlin and new areas will emerge, I’m just saying that core canberra rugby league juniors and fans aren’t coming from inner canberra and that this area has some more solid Union fans and AFL than outer canberra. I can’t believe people are trying to deny this.

Some people on the GH obviously need to spend a bit more time in Queanbeyan with Campo, Tuggers with Cotric than sipping Chardonnay with Greenberg on the Kingston foreshore.
I don't sip chardonnay on the Kingston Foreshore. I sip riesling. I've never seen Todd there. I do get around to all the local rugby league clubs and grounds though. All the time. I was at Gungahlin on Sunday... ;) I don't really frequent rules and union clubs though!

I don't think any football code's juniors are coming from central Canberra. The union and rules fans might live in central Canberra... but they're old people like me!
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

greeneyed wrote:
greeneyed wrote:

I don't sip chardonnay on the Kingston Foreshore. I sip riesling. I've never seen Todd there. I do get around to all the local rugby league clubs and grounds though. All the time. I was at Gungahlin on Sunday... ;) I don't really frequent rules and union clubs though!

I don't think any football code's juniors are coming from central Canberra. The union and rules fans might live in central Canberra... but they're old people like me!
Again you are essentially repeating what I’m saying all along. NRL headquarters sees Canberra as Braddon and Manuka, they don’t get or understand rugby league demographics in Canberra.

It shouldn’t have been a controversial comment I was making. BTW the sky is blue (well maybe smoky a few weeks ago)
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

BJ wrote: March 9, 2020, 10:24 pm
greeneyed wrote:
greeneyed wrote:

Again you are essentially repeating what I’m saying all along. NRL headquarters sees Canberra as Braddon and Manuka, they don’t get or understand rugby league demographics in Canberra.

It shouldn’t have been a controversial comment I was making. BTW the sky is blue (well maybe smoky a few weeks ago)
Then I don’t understand why I’m being criticised for sipping Chardonnay on the Foreshore and not understanding.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I live in the woden area, and im currently enjoying a nice bottle of Rose

I didnt know i wasnt allowed to support RL, but thanks to @Bj for letting me know. Off to the Brumbies for me i guess.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Botman wrote: March 10, 2020, 7:40 pm I live in the woden area, and im currently enjoying a nice bottle of Rose

I didnt know i wasnt allowed to support RL, but thanks to @Bj for letting me know. Off to the Brumbies for me i guess.
Rose? Isn't there a Student Happening happening somewhere?
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Botman wrote:I live in the woden area, and im currently enjoying a nice bottle of Rose

Don’t cross Woden into Forrest and as long as you don’t start wearing leather elbow patches and drive a Volvo, you’re probably OK.

But if you start mentioning the word Rugger and want a sport with real scrummaging......
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

BJ wrote: March 10, 2020, 8:44 pm
Botman wrote:I live in the woden area, and im currently enjoying a nice bottle of Rose

Don’t cross Woden into Forrest and as long as you don’t start wearing leather elbow patches and drive a Volvo, you’re probably OK.

But if you start mentioning the word Rugger and want a sport with real scrummaging......
You know, I was just thinking today, if I win Powerball... I'd open up...

The Greenhouse
Sports
Bar
Food

in a very good location at Kingston. It'd be green, it'd be Raiders. I guess I'd have to show union and AFL down the back, but it'd be Canberra Raiders central in central Canberra. I'd love to do that! The internet transforms into a real place!
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

BJ wrote: March 10, 2020, 8:44 pm

Botman: Look everyone, now that I'm a wanker I've sewn patches on my elbows.

Bj: Botman, that's supposed to be leather patches on a tweed jacket, not the other way around. You've ruined a perfectly good jacket.

Botman: Correction, Bj. Two perfectly good jackets.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

That’s Classic Botman. I love the tweed patches on the leather jacket look you’re promoting.

I reckon it will get picked up by my local Tuggeranong motorcycle gangs.

Surely there’s now more motorcycle gang members in canberra than Brumbies crowd members?

I’m now wondering whether the ACT Government introduced anti consorting laws for Rugby Union fans without me knowing.