Raiders half Aidan Sezer joins Huddersfield Giants on two year deal

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Re: Raiders half Aidan Sezer joins Huddersfield Giants on two year deal

Post by Seiffert82 »

raiderskater wrote: November 29, 2019, 8:50 pm I'm really sad and I'm really going to miss him. I liked him, I thought he was a lot better than a lot of Raiders fans gave him credit for.

That, and I'd feel so much better having him as backup if this new guy turns out to be a dud or gets injured than Sam Williams.

On the plus side, does this mean we finally get rid of alphabet soup, or has he switched his campaign to Croker full-time?
We wouldn't have the cap space to sign the likes of Curtis Scott if the club retained Sezer over Williams as our backup half.

Sezer is good enough to earn good money as a top tier halfback in England, or as a starting half elsewhere in the NRL. I'm glad he's got the opportunity to do that rather than play reggies with us.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

afgtnk wrote:
raiderskater wrote: November 29, 2019, 8:50 pm I'm really sad and I'm really going to miss him. I liked him, I thought he was a lot better than a lot of Raiders fans gave him credit for.

That, and I'd feel so much better having him as backup if this new guy turns out to be a dud or gets injured than Sam Williams.

On the plus side, does this mean we finally get rid of alphabet soup, or has he switched his campaign to Croker full-time?
Botman wrote: November 29, 2019, 9:08 pm When someone shows you who they are, believe them
George Williams is one sub par game away from being in aaskaslkasska's sights and calling for the return of the great Sam Williams.
Shhhhh. There there. Wipe your tears.

It's over.
Congratulations on winning 'the race to the bottom' award.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Seiffert82 wrote: November 30, 2019, 9:06 am

We wouldn't have the cap space to sign the likes of Curtis Scott if the club retained Sezer over Williams as our backup half.
But we didn't need to buy Curtis Scott. We have two excellent centres already, and good backup plans.

And I know Sezer wouldn't want to stay and play Mounties. I'm just worried because surely our luck with the Poms is going to run out sooner rather than later and I've heard a veritable mixed bag of reviews about this guy. Sezer is a known quantity and a better quantity than S Williams.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

We need to move money in the salary cap from centres to spine... and we can’t have it tied up with players in reserve grade. That’s why we’ve signed Curtis Scott. Leilua won’t be with us after next year... so we can have a more conventional distribution of the salary cap. We’ve signed George Williams as a first grade half. We can’t afford Aidan Sezer as a back up or there “just in case”. We can only afford Sam Williams in that role. It’s all about cap management.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

It was over in April when ya boi got his shot and was found wanting for about the 6th time...mercifully the coach saw he was not up to the task and got Sezer back in to help us reach the GF.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

And yet the best he could do was a gig in the ESL with cellar dwellars Huddersfield. Not one taker in the NRL.

It's over dawg. This war you've been running, finished. Kaput.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

As i said, it was finished the moment ya boi got demoted for him and we went on the Granny.
And rightly so... Aiden Sezer might not be much, but he's proven beyond a shadow of a doubt to be far better than Sam Williams.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

I couldn't care less about Sezer right now and I doubt many others do either, apart from a couple of you having a little sook in the corner by yourselves. He had little to no impact on our success, hence why the club got rid of him.

He's gone and Sam Williams is staying - get over it/live with it.
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

It is virtually impossible in Rugby League for a halfback to have "little to no" impact on the success of a team that has made it to a Grand Final. The club opted for George Williams before the run to the Grand Final. Do you really think if 2019 had happened in 2018, Williams would have been signed? The coach made the right choice in going for an upgrade given Sezer's 2017/2018 form, but to say he had "little to no" impact on our success in 2019 (and 2016, for that matter) is totally wrong.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Get enough drinks into Pignickrickbot and I reckon he'd be arguing Sezer is better than Andrew Johns.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: December 1, 2019, 11:12 am Get enough drinks into Pignickrickbot and I reckon he'd be arguing Sezer is better than Andrew Johns.
Na, but ill argue all day and every day that he proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that those who argued for three years that the team was better served with Sam Williams at halfback over him were completely, totally and hopelessly wrong.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

TongueFTW wrote: December 1, 2019, 8:16 am It is virtually impossible in Rugby League for a halfback to have "little to no" impact on the success of a team that has made it to a Grand Final. The club opted for George Williams before the run to the Grand Final. Do you really think if 2019 had happened in 2018, Williams would have been signed? The coach made the right choice in going for an upgrade given Sezer's 2017/2018 form, but to say he had "little to no" impact on our success in 2019 (and 2016, for that matter) is totally wrong.
Aidan Sezer had little to no impact on our success and our game as a whole. He played more or less the same from 2016 to 2019, it just happened that in two of those years we did well.

He's not an NRL grade halfback and that's been proven again by his inability to land another gig here, in what should be his prime, and despite the insistence that he's not on very much money.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Sezer is definitely an NRL level halfback. Just nothing beyond a base level half.

But Sam Williams is not an NRL level halfback. But he’s just a quarter rung below that level and one of the best at State Cup level.
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

Was the argument that Sam Williams is better than Sezer?

I thought the argument was that Sezer is mud. He’s not playing to NRL level, he wasn’t getting involved, he wasn’t closing out games, he wasn’t creating opportunities to any reasonable level, and he was just a passenger. That he deserved to be dropped and/or punted.

I admit I was back and forth with it over the 3 years. I was completely off him for a while, his game management was pathetic, and he was invisible so often.
However, at times in 2018 I felt that maybe if we just fixed our defence his minor contributions would turn into game winners and we would see him in a new perspective.

But even in 2019 he had his moments but was largely invisible or ineffective.
It may be controversial, but I think he struggled for motivation. I don’t think his lack of success as a player came from skill. At the very least, he certainly would be a hell of a player if he had the drive and mongrel of John Bateman. That may be easy to say, but for large stretches of time at the Raiders he was on the opposite spectrum to someone like JB.
I am talking levels of NRL players, since you certainly need a lot to get there, don’t get me wrong. But at that level, I feel his greatest weakness was mongrel and desire.
Last edited by Beejay on December 1, 2019, 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

BJ wrote: December 1, 2019, 4:59 pm Sezer is definitely an NRL level halfback. Just nothing beyond a base level half.

But Sam Williams is not an NRL level halfback. But he’s just a quarter rung below that level and one of the best at State Cup level.
You might be surprised at tomorrow’s 2019 in review.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Botman wrote: December 1, 2019, 2:33 pm
Roger Kenworthy wrote: December 1, 2019, 11:12 am Get enough drinks into Pignickrickbot and I reckon he'd be arguing Sezer is better than Andrew Johns.
Na, but ill argue all day and every day that he proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that those who argued for three years that the team was better served with Sam Williams at halfback over him were completely, totally and hopelessly wrong.
You would be correct. This was more your hate for Johns than Sezer love I was thinking of haha.

Still think the Williams selection earlier in the year was the right move from Stick. Think it helped define the role he wanted from a halfback and allowed Sezer to slot in and play to that. He was even better as a playmaker than Sammy W this season which was a vast improvement over 17 and 18. Tbh he swung me enough that if I had the option today I'd take him over G Williams for next season.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: December 1, 2019, 8:50 pm
You would be correct. This was more your hate for Johns than Sezer love I was thinking of haha.

Still think the Williams selection earlier in the year was the right move from Stick. Think it helped define the role he wanted from a halfback and allowed Sezer to slot in and play to that. He was even better as a playmaker than Sammy W this season which was a vast improvement over 17 and 18. Tbh he swung me enough that if I had the option today I'd take him over G Williams for next season.
He actually wasn’t. See tomorrow’s 2019 season in review.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Oh i hate Andrew Johns with the fire of 10000 suns
:lol:
Fair play on that.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

FWIW I don't think there is a great deal of difference between Williams and Sezer as far as NRL quality goes. Both have played good, high level games at times and both have gone horribly missing, or even worse, executed poorly.

Sezer is clearly a more robust defender (although he does concede ground down that corridor), while I think Williams reads the play better in attack and plays what's in front of him much better than Sezer does.

On the whole, I think Sezer has a more complete skill set than Sammy. I also agree with Beejay in thinking Sezer's mental application lets him down. I get the feeling he could be a premier NRL halfback if he set his mind on it. I've seen so many positive attributes to his play - he just can't do it on a regular basis if his life depended on it.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

greeneyed wrote:
Roger Kenworthy wrote: December 1, 2019, 8:50 pm

He actually wasn’t. See tomorrow’s 2019 season in review.
That’s because on this rare occasion you butchered the review. Not because it was actually true.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Sezer ready to take a lead

AIDAN SEZER is ready to be the on-field general who leads Huddersfield Giants up the Super League ladder.

“Simon was with the Raiders in my first year there and I had a little bit to do with him. Everyone always says he’s a good guy, and I’ve caught up with him when he’s come back to Canberra. He’s a really intelligent bloke who knows the game. What he told me about his vision for the club and how he wants me to fit in made me feel more comfortable about my decision in coming over. I play in the halves, so I want to be a general on the field.

Read more: https://www.totalrl.com/sezer-ready-to-take-a-lead/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Recruitment guru Peter Mulholland says Canberra Raiders would have liked to retain Aidan Sezer

Canberra half Aidan Sezer has signed a two year deal with the Giants which reunites him with former compatriot Simon Woolford. But this wasn’t a case of Sezer signing because he had nowhere else to go.

"We’d have liked to have kept him," Canberra’s recruitment manager Peter Mulholland said. "But we have salary cap pressure as well. He could have stayed, but Aidan had one season to go here, so we thought the opportunity to get an extended contract elsewhere was the right way to go, and we’d signed George Williams."

Read more: https://www.totalrl.com/hail-sezer/
radicalraider
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by radicalraider »

G Williams is gna take a while to click and when he does we're still gna miss sezer
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

‘A lot of things that went on’: Aidan Sezer lifts lid on exit from the Canberra Raiders

Canberra’s grand final halfback Aiden Sezer has spoken about the moment he realised his time at the Raiders was over and said leaving the nation’s capital has helped him rediscover his love for the game.

“I knew deep down I was going to move somewhere, I wasn’t anticipating a move to England … There was a day, look, it’s in the past now. I don’t want to bring up old wounds and things like that. There was a day for sure, it was a fair while before I left the club.”

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 47855b9346
Danaman137
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by Danaman137 »

I’m glad to see Sezer’s enjoying his time over in the UK. Writing was on the wall for him a long time before he left but I love the bloke and love the way he played in the back half of last year. Would have been easy to phone it in once your replacement has been signed and you’re unhappy where you are, but he played some of his best footy during that time. That takes character.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Danaman137 wrote: March 5, 2020, 7:26 pm I’m glad to see Sezer’s enjoying his time over in the UK. Writing was on the wall for him a long time before he left but I love the bloke and love the way he played in the back half of last year. Would have been easy to phone it in once your replacement has been signed and you’re unhappy where you are, but he played some of his best footy during that time. That takes character.
100% agree
It says a lot about his character and professionalism.

The move to sign him didnt pan out as well as we had probably hoped. Certainly not as well as i had hoped. But it also didnt turn out as bad as a select few people want to pretend.
He was a solid signing for us, he positively contributed to very successful seasons, and the club was right to look to try and find an upgrade, and hopefully we've found it so we can take that NEXT step.

Im feeling really good about Georgey boy.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Aidan Sezer was an absolute champ every time I spoke to him. He was a nice person, humble, honest, open with a Raiders supporter. He did a lot for our club, including help our team to its sixth Grand Final appearance. I've never failed to be impressed by him as a person. Good guy.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

greeneyed wrote: March 5, 2020, 8:20 pm Aidan Sezer was an absolute champ every time I spoke to him. He was a nice person, humble, honest, open with a Raiders supporter. He did a lot for our club, including help our team to its fifth Grand Final appearance. I've never failed to be impressed by him as a person. Good guy.
6th GF Appearance.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

greeneyed wrote:Aidan Sezer was an absolute champ every time I spoke to him. He was a nice person, humble, honest, open with a Raiders supporter. He did a lot for our club, including help our team to its sixth Grand Final appearance. I've never failed to be impressed by him as a person. Good guy.
Spot on about Sezer being humble and honest with fans and media. He was often first to admit he had a bad game or missed an opportunity. Sometimes I think he was too hard on himself and it affected his confidence.

Plenty of NRL players today constantly tell the world how great they are and dismiss even valid criticism as just haterz.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Yeah, it was pretty obvious a while ago that he wasn't enjoying his football here. He wasn't playing what was in front of him and he looked tentative and hesitant. The link between he and Hodgson wasn't great either.

Credit to him for sticking in there and having a great end to 2019. It was so pleasing to see. I'm glad he's having a good time over there and relishing his leadership opportunities.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Probably already posted something like this here but I lauded the signing and thought he’d reach greater heights. I genuinely thought even before we were mentioned in the race that whoever got him from Titans were in for a great time during the DCE saga. I was beyond ecstatic when we signed him. I thought he had potential to be a rep player and have a glittering mid and late career.

He didn’t get to where I thought he would. And he had a real shocker of a patch (was it late 17 and early 18 where he essentially got shafted?) but really his time here was a success. In his 4 years at the club we made a preliminary final and a grand final. I’ll be **** if I don’t remember him fondly. His attacking game became stifled at the club but I really think he has to be really deeply praised for how tough he became/played. He probably could have looked for an easy out but he did it the hard way and was realistically only some absolutely unheralded rugby league Bull moment away from finishing his NRL career with a premiership.

He never ended up being as pivotal as I had hoped especially as Hodgson climbed the rungs so quickly as a creator of attacking opportunities. I have a feeling that the stifled/collared role really hindered him in attack and made him think too much about the difference between 6 and 7 as a player. But I mean it worked to an extent considering he partnered a ball running five-eighth with extremely limited ball play and then a new five-eighth learning his trade last year. He wasn’t the main man and hopefully Williams improves the team but I don’t think 16 and 19 were successful years in spite of him as aftgnk has pretty much consistently suggested. He’ll continue to shine while he’s in the ESL too.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

He was average here for whatever reason. I let my frustration at his game get to me at times.

Control of the team was minimal, which was possibly the plan, but for a lot of 2016-2018 the end of sets were constantly poor. Considering he wasn't a running half here, I don't know why he didn't or couldn't control that better.
Solid defence, and good distributor of the ball to his gun outside players, but with little creativity.

In a new team, with very clear structure of power where Sezer is in total control, maybe he's a different player.