Jarrod Croker set to become Raider for life after signing new four-year deal

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Re: $7.7m Triple treat: Jarrod Croker and Nick Cotric set to re-sign with Canberra Raiders

Post by zim »

I agree with that. Same thing I've seen/heard.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Re: $7.7m Triple treat: Jarrod Croker and Nick Cotric set to re-sign with Canberra Raiders

Post by afgtnk »

BadnMean wrote: February 18, 2020, 12:56 pm
afgtnk wrote: February 18, 2020, 12:49 pm
BadnMean wrote: February 18, 2020, 12:38 am Interesting to note outside fans from 90% of other clubs saying they'd take him in a heartbeat to improve their current centre stocks... Let's say he walks into conservatively 10-12 other NRL teams right now. Would they be willing to offer 450-500k to get him? Some no, some yes. But if even a couple will, that's the rate. Add in what slice of the loyalty bonus and captains extra kick for responsibility/duties and it's probably not so far overs. You could quibble over 50k?

Plenty also wishing their club had an 80% goalkicker at all- let alone one who could play footy too. Some clubs dropped multiple games last year off the back of no good goal kicker... 4 points on last years ladder makes or breaks a whole season... Is that worth that extra 50k...

Anyway, it wouldn't be the off-season without a Croker controversy. Came late this year. Bloody climate change.
And where's this from?
That was my read on Reddit NRL comments and such last night. The odd knocker, but general acknowledgement that although he gets memed to death, Toots was better than one or both the centers their club was turning out.
So, basically you're trying to pass off your take of the comments section on a Reddit post as a statistic to support your argument that other fans want Croker.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

afgtnk wrote: February 18, 2020, 1:12 pm So, basically you're trying to pass off your take of the comments section on a Reddit post as a statistic to support your argument that other fans want Croker.
If you want to put it like that, yes, yes I was. I chose to summarise my take on the comments floating around on other RL forums into a rough percentage to succintly convey my summation of the comments to others on this board.

"Pass it off as a statistic"- well, only if you really thought i was referencing some sort of lightning survey I had Deed-Poll do overnight and not offering my take on the opinions of others I came across about the topic. Was it a nefarious scheme to make up a fake statistic and then present it as absolute fact? well, only if you are a bit of a dick.

Another way to read my comments (and this may sound crazy) is that I was commenting in good faith, offering what I perceived to be the rough balance of the opinions I have read to that date, on other RL forums.

So if you think I was genuinely trying to convey the impression I had real hard data on the matter and "pass it off"- all presumably in aid of furthering my radical, pro Croker agenda (which I have been working behind the scenes on for years, I have agents everywhere and will continue on, until my ultimate goals are realised, muhuhuhuhhahaa)- then go for it mate, fill your boots.
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by reptar »

greeneyed wrote:
IBG wrote: February 17, 2020, 10:09 am Croker 4 year extension?!

:shock:
That’d take him to 34 years of age... not that old these days. If one year is somehow conditional on appearances, say, not a big risk.
Tom Brady still getting sacked at his age, what is he? 50?
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

BadnMean wrote: February 18, 2020, 1:32 pm
afgtnk wrote: February 18, 2020, 1:12 pm So, basically you're trying to pass off your take of the comments section on a Reddit post as a statistic to support your argument that other fans want Croker.
If you want to put it like that, yes, yes I was. I chose to summarise my take on the comments floating around on other RL forums into a rough percentage to succintly convey my summation of the comments to others on this board.

"Pass it off as a statistic"- well, only if you really thought i was referencing some sort of lightning survey I had Deed-Poll do overnight and not offering my take on the opinions of others I came across about the topic. Was it a nefarious scheme to make up a fake statistic and then present it as absolute fact? well, only if you are a bit of a dick.

Another way to read my comments (and this may sound crazy) is that I was commenting in good faith, offering what I perceived to be the rough balance of the opinions I have read to that date, on other RL forums.

So if you think I was genuinely trying to convey the impression I had real hard data on the matter and "pass it off"- all presumably in aid of furthering my radical, pro Croker agenda (which I have been working behind the scenes on for years, I have agents everywhere and will continue on, until my ultimate goals are realised, muhuhuhuhhahaa)- then go for it mate, fill your boots.
You and your 500 different Reddit accounts. We're on to you. :evil:
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Re: Jarrod Croker and Nick Cotric set to re-sign with Canberra Raiders

Post by yeh raiders »

I’m ok with the length of the deal. As mentioned, if he’s physically busted he’ll be medically retired. Otherwise he’ll go out on his own terms and retire at 34, having hopefully taken Cam Smith’s point scoring record.

For the amount of overrating that goes on, I wouldn’t have been surprised to see $700-$800k.

$600k is pretty much a win.
Dylan’s Raiders
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Dylan’s Raiders »

Interesting to note that old mate Clarkey from “Clarkey’s Rugby League Column” rates him as the number one centre in the NRL. Not too much disagreement in the comments - few people saying Joseph Manu should be ahead. Raiders fans are arguably the harshest judges when it comes to Croker IMO.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

There are any number of Raiders fans that are completely out of their tree when they talk about Croker. It's quite possibly the weirdest thing I've come across in all the years of supporting this team. They dead set go out of their way to highlight anything bad in his game each week, yet completely overlook other players. It's quite odd.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Seiffert82 wrote: February 18, 2020, 5:06 pm There are any number of Raiders fans that are completely out of their tree when they talk about Croker. It's quite possibly the weirdest thing I've come across in all the years of supporting this team. They dead set go out of their way to highlight anything bad in his game each week, yet completely overlook other players. It's quite odd.
It's the old case of familiarity breeds contempt. You see it in any sport where fans can be more critical of their own players than the broader community is.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Early nomination for **** thread if the year.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Northern Raider wrote: February 18, 2020, 5:26 pm
Seiffert82 wrote: February 18, 2020, 5:06 pm There are any number of Raiders fans that are completely out of their tree when they talk about Croker. It's quite possibly the weirdest thing I've come across in all the years of supporting this team. They dead set go out of their way to highlight anything bad in his game each week, yet completely overlook other players. It's quite odd.
It's the old case of familiarity breeds contempt. You see it in any sport where fans can be more critical of their own players than the broader community is.
Yeah, I do wonder in games where Croker beats his opposite a couple of times, or if he shuts his man down, whether the opposition forums go nuts about how crap their player is.

Leilua is a great centre, but in games he can miss half a dozen tackles and drop a couple of balls and most people just blow up a bit and move on, whereas if Croker does the same, you can queue up the usual suspects and all hell breaks loose for days. :lol:

Ultimately, I think people prefer highlights and trick shots over consistency and reliability. Croker's coaches clearly love the **** out of him, as do his wingers - who all speak highly of him. He must be doing something OK.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

I don't think it's a case of that at all - in fact it's the complete opposite, IMO. Some of our fans go to very far lengths to deflect attention from anything bad he does and tend to blame every other player.

He genuinely does not seem to be rated very highly by those who don't support the Raiders, and for some reason it pains certain fans considerably to hear or know that. He's made out to be some sort of holy Alan Tongue figure, when he's not. As a captain he took the mantle on when we were at a very low point with limited options, never really felt like he was a natural or strong leader, and now although he's still got the (C) next to his name, this has clearly become Josh Hodgson's team. We have fans that are still genuinely bemused he hasn't played rep football yet, when the answer that almost everyone apart from some of our own fans sees is that he doesn't have the ability for it, instead of some the grand conspiracies that get bandied around.

The reality is that he's a solid, loyal, professional player - one that every club could do with. Michael Gordon, Luke Burt, Hazem El Masri, Nathan Merritt - that's the company he's in. Now, that's certainly nothing to be ashamed of or to be sneezed at, but Christ, there are times where he gets made out to be the second coming of Meninga amongst our fans in terms of his importance and standing in the club. I suspect he'll be treated with perceived contempt so long as certain supporters keeping making him out as such, with the expected response to be an overcompensation of rabid praise and more devotion from the usual - thus making everything just go around in circles.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Gotta love Jarrod Croker.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

Nananananana leader!

Croker!!
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

afgtnk wrote: February 18, 2020, 6:03 pm I don't think it's a case of that at all - in fact it's the complete opposite, IMO. Some of our fans go to very far lengths to deflect attention from anything bad he does and tend to blame every other player.

He genuinely does not seem to be rated very highly by those who don't support the Raiders, and for some reason it pains certain fans considerably to hear or know that. He's made out to be some sort of holy Alan Tongue figure, when he's not. As a captain he took the mantle on when we were at a very low point with limited options, never really felt like he was a natural or strong leader, and now although he's still got the (C) next to his name, this has clearly become Josh Hodgson's team. We have fans that are still genuinely bemused he hasn't played rep football yet, when the answer that almost everyone apart from some of our own fans sees is that he doesn't have the ability for it, instead of some the grand conspiracies that get bandied around.

The reality is that he's a solid, loyal, professional player - one that every club could do with. Michael Gordon, Luke Burt, Hazem El Masri, Nathan Merritt - that's the company he's in. Now, that's certainly nothing to be ashamed of or to be sneezed at, but Christ, there are times where he gets made out to be the second coming of Meninga amongst our fans in terms of his importance and standing in the club. I suspect he'll be treated with perceived contempt so long as certain supporters keeping making him out as such, with the expected response to be an overcompensation of rabid praise and more devotion from the usual - thus making everything just go around in circles.
Yeah you're right. So instead let's just say that some Raiders fans are exceptionally poor judges.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

I don't think it's a case of being poor judges. I think it's a case of having thick green goggles afixed too firmly and doubling down - similar to the sects that swear refs have treated us worse than every other team for eternity, or that the NRL detest us and have a grand conspiracy to sink us, or that the clubs' failures are almost solely due to us not being an attractive destination to move to for players because apparently the only thing they could possibly move for is a couple of nifty bike tracks.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Who gives a flying **** what other fans think! :lol:

At the end of the day, the bloke is going to break all sorts of club records, not because he happened to be in the right place at the right time, it's because he's an exceptional centre. Who cares that one day 5 years ago Konrad Hurrell had a good game against him, or that in 1974 Jamie Lyon carved him up, like Lyon did against a thousand centres over his career.

Every coach he has played for clearly loves him. Every winger who plays outside him speaks highly of him. I couldn't care less what some **** on the LU forum thinks of him. He's a bloody good centre and he often doesn't get the accolades he deserves.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

greeneyed wrote: February 18, 2020, 6:07 pm Gotta love Jarrod Croker.
Even fans of other teams do.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

I for one reckon if the club can nail down croker for a 4 year contract on circa 600k per annum with the last year performance based, then thatd be another win for the club. Players who fade at the back end of their careers usually have had a bad run with injuries. If he does have a bad run injury wise from here he could join the long list of players to medically retire. So the way i see itvis that there is plenty of upside securing our most successful captain since Mal, with little downside
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Northern Raider wrote:
afgtnk wrote: February 18, 2020, 6:03 pm I don't think it's a case of that at all - in fact it's the complete opposite, IMO. Some of our fans go to very far lengths to deflect attention from anything bad he does and tend to blame every other player.

Yeah you're right. So instead let's just say that some Raiders fans are exceptionally poor judges.
Like Sam Williams > Sezer?

BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

zim wrote: February 18, 2020, 7:07 pm
greeneyed wrote: February 18, 2020, 6:07 pm Gotta love Jarrod Croker.
Even fans of other teams do.
Everyone who counts loves Ned Flanders.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

gergreg wrote: February 18, 2020, 7:25 pm
Northern Raider wrote:

Don't be ridiculous. Nobody could seriously believe that. :roll:
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

gergreg wrote: February 18, 2020, 7:25 pm Like Sam Williams > Sezer?
Woooof... top right hand corner. Banger.
Time to do some picking askafakala

I love that he also tries to sort of paint this as a bunch of raiders fans thinking he's the second coming, when the more accurate depiction is a bunch of raiders say he's a good NRL centre in defence when people like ashfsakja pretend he should be playing for mounties and he wouldnt start at any other club but ours.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

Northern Raider wrote:

Or like Croker is the best young centre in the game and will play for NSW and/or Aus?

OOOoooof.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

afgtnk wrote: February 18, 2020, 8:37 pm
Northern Raider wrote:

Or like Croker is the best young centre in the game and will play for NSW and/or Aus?

OOOoooof.
Actually nothing like that.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

You're right - claiming Croker is one of the best centres in the game and will play rep is far worse judgement.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

afgtnk wrote: February 18, 2020, 8:41 pm You're right - claiming Croker is one of the best centres in the game and will play rep is far worse judgement.
You're a special case, that's for sure. :lol:
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Jarrett Crockett he's a great footy player.

Well since about 2016 he has been anyway.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Salary cap aside every club in the league would be improved by signing Crokes. Even the sharks with their 5 centres would be able to fix their goal kicking that almost kept them out of the 8.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

Dylan’s Raiders wrote: February 18, 2020, 5:00 pm Interesting to note that old mate Clarkey from “Clarkey’s Rugby League Column” rates him as the number one centre in the NRL. Not too much disagreement in the comments - few people saying Joseph Manu should be ahead. Raiders fans are arguably the harshest judges when it comes to Croker IMO.
He is rightfully getting massacred on Twitter. It’s the worst ranking list of footballers in the history of ranking footballers.

He has Joey Leilua at #13, with the likes of Justin Olam and Esarn Marsters ahead of him :lol:
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

yeh raiders wrote: February 18, 2020, 9:32 pm
Dylan’s Raiders wrote: February 18, 2020, 5:00 pm Interesting to note that old mate Clarkey from “Clarkey’s Rugby League Column” rates him as the number one centre in the NRL. Not too much disagreement in the comments - few people saying Joseph Manu should be ahead. Raiders fans are arguably the harshest judges when it comes to Croker IMO.
He is rightfully getting massacred on Twitter. It’s the worst ranking list of footballers in the history of ranking footballers.

He has Joey Leilua at #13, with the likes of Justin Olam ahead of him :lol:
Wow :lol:

Edit: that list has to be seen to be believed.
Last edited by zim on February 18, 2020, 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

yeh raiders wrote: February 18, 2020, 9:32 pm

He has Joey Leilua at #13, with the likes of Justin Olam and Esarn Marsters ahead of him :lol:
Irrespective of the rankings, what that list tells me is that Croker is certainly one of the best centres running around the NRL.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

Edit: misread what Seiffert wrote.

Statistically, Croker is middle of the road. However given that he is a reliable safe player, and there is a shortage of elite level centres in the comp, I rate him somewhere between about 5 and 8.

That warrants a decent contract, so $600k for 4 more years, for a bloke who has a good record with injury and is obviously well respected - is a fairly reasonable investment. It’s not worth complaining over except for the fact that we lost Joey.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

Seiffert82: Who gives a **** what other fans think??

Also Seiffert82: This incomprehensible rankings list from some random guy on Twitter says Croker is the best. That's it. Done. Argument over.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

afgtnk wrote:You're right - claiming Croker is one of the best centres in the game and will play rep is far worse judgement.
I certainly wouldn't claim him as one of the best centres in the world. Latrell, Manu and BJ (in no particular order) are all better than him and that is without thinking about it or analysing further. It could be argued that there are plenty of others better than him, but I wouldn't trade another player for him. You don't trade away your leading pointscorer without it having consequences. You don't trade away your respected captain without it having consequences.

Croker has actually played rep football. PMs Australian side, City/Country and All stars- which I believe was selected by rugby league fans. Obviously selected by rugby league fans who didn't rate him?