Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by Northern Raider »

Matt wrote: February 13, 2020, 8:19 am
Northern Raider wrote: February 13, 2020, 8:15 am
Matt wrote: February 13, 2020, 8:13 am
Northern Raider wrote: February 13, 2020, 8:06 am
Azza wrote: February 12, 2020, 5:54 pm Yeah probably the only one that consistently troubled him was McGrath... but there were days where even he couldn't do anything to stop Lara.
McGrath one of my favourite all time quicks. Showed how effective you can be by keeping it simple. Just kept the ball in the old "Corridor of Uncertainty". Let the ball's natural seam provide the subtle variations. Amazed how few bowlers at the top level try to emulate this approach these days.
Stuwie Clarke did for a while.
I thought Big Wood did that too, but he is trying things these days.
Yeah, Hazelwood the closest we've seen in Australia. Jasprit Bumrah reminds me a lot of McGrath (not his action).
Bumrah he does bowl that consistent line
Yep, he keeps it in that top of off/4th stump area. Faster than McGrath but doesn't get the same steep bounce.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Matt wrote:
Azza wrote: February 12, 2020, 5:54 pm Yeah probably the only one that consistently troubled him was McGrath... but there were days where even he couldn't do anything to stop Lara.
Esp in Australia. They just set the wide cordon, with double gully, and it was a matter of time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Op2r1cIEx4o

HAHA, watching this, I didnt realize how often he was caught behind.
Lara was McGraths 300th. I forgot that.
I remember the Brisbane dismissal c Gilchrist, I played SW Cricket later that day and got him out exactly the same way for a Image

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

McGrath had a natural advantage in terms of height which gave him that steepling bounce, troubled a lot of batsmen. He didn't swing the ball that much most of the time either. Just masterful at getting slight seam off the pitch and kissing the edge of the bat.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Brian Lara was poetry in motion..

I loved watching him bat.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Glen Maxwell ruled out of the white ball tour of South Africa.

He requires elbow surgery.

And Darcy Short replaces him, Marcus Stoinis misses out again.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

-PJ- wrote: February 13, 2020, 12:33 pm Glen Maxwell ruled out of the white ball tour of South Africa.

I saw that. Weird selection as a replacement TBH
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Matt wrote: February 13, 2020, 12:47 pm
-PJ- wrote: February 13, 2020, 12:33 pm Glen Maxwell ruled out of the white ball tour of South Africa.

Batsman, part time spinner. It's a like for like replacement. Short was on the recent Indian tour so was already ahead of Stoinis in that respect.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: February 13, 2020, 1:00 pm

Batsman, part time spinner. It's a like for like replacement. Short was on the recent Indian tour so was already ahead of Stoinis in that respect.
Yeah ok.
I guess nearly 700 T20 runs doesnt mean anything, as CA has already proven form is 'only an indication' :P
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Stionis needs to bowl "offies" to gain selection.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Matt wrote: February 13, 2020, 1:02 pm

Yeah ok.
I guess nearly 700 T20 runs doesnt mean anything, as CA has already proven form is 'only an indication' :P
Did you read my post?
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: February 13, 2020, 1:11 pm

Yeah ok.
Did you read my post?
I did. Thats why I said 'yeah ok'.
Just pointing out CA's continual double standards in the 2nd line.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Matt wrote: February 13, 2020, 1:27 pm

Yeah ok.
Did you read my post?
No prob then. Your following lines made the 'yeah ok' seem a sarcastic one. :)

On topic Short was part of the ODI squad so could also be considered unlucky to miss out initially. I know Stoinis got a motsa of runs in the BBL but realistically that's a 2nd tier comp. He sucked last time at International level. Doesn't help that he's not bowling either.

Selectors could have gone either way with this and probably went with Short because he's can throw a few overs of spin down if needed. They need somebody like that for the T20s at least. Agar not really a replacement for Maxy at no4 or 5. Labuschagne is only there for the ODIs.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: February 13, 2020, 2:14 pm
Matt wrote: February 13, 2020, 1:27 pm
Yeah ok.
Did you read my post?
No prob then. Your following lines made the 'yeah ok' seem a sarcastic one. :)

On topic Short was part of the ODI squad so could also be considered unlucky to miss out initially. I know Stoinis got a motsa of runs in the BBL but realistically that's a 2nd tier comp. He sucked last time at International level. Doesn't help that he's not bowling either.

Selectors could have gone either way with this and probably went with Short because he's can throw a few overs of spin down if needed. They need somebody like that for the T20s at least. Agar not really a replacement for Maxy at no4 or 5. Labuschagne is only there for the ODIs.
Ok, sorry.

Its been a while since Short did anything though. Couldnt get going in the BBL. Looks a flash in the pan to me. He isnt a middle order bat in short form either. He has played his best as an opener.

At least Stoinis has proven over multiple yrs that he is a class above at state level. Did bowl an over or 2 right at the end of the BBL. So must be close.

As far as incumbent vs earnt a spot, CA cant decide which court they are in. They chop and change to suit themselves, and thats been in all 3 formats.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Darcy Short in BBL09. 9 innings, 357 runs at 44.62. 1 x 100, 3 x 50s. Not bad for a guy that "couldn't get going". ;)
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: February 13, 2020, 2:45 pm Darcy Short in BBL09. 9 innings, 357 runs at 44.62. 1 x 100, 3 x 50s. Not bad for a guy that "couldn't get going". ;)
hahaha... I dont remember him doing anything. I must have seen the other 5 innings
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

I actually think the selectors have lost a bit of faith in Stoinis at international level. Been quite a while since he's delivered at either T20 or ODIs. It's not been for lack of opportunity either.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

The BBL is what seems like 6 months of forgettable cricket

julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Matt wrote: February 12, 2020, 9:28 am
julian87 wrote: February 12, 2020, 9:18 am I'm liking the Lara love.

Always rated him a notch higher than Tendulkar, Kallis and Ponting who all tend to be grouped together. All have similar averages in international cricket but Lara played 70% or more of his test career in some pretty ordinary batting lineups. He only just crossed over careers with Greenidge and had maybe 3/4 years with Haynes. Gayle didn't debut until about 6 years after Haynes and they deadset did not have a genuinely test class opener in the meantime. So he played the majority of his test career averaging over 50 in the middle order with opening batsmen who were averaging generally in the 20s or low 30s at absolute best (rotating doors of Phil Simmons, Philo Wallace, Stuart Williams, Sherwin Campbell, Wavell Hinds and Daren Ganga). Richie Richardson retired early in his career too which left Lara and Chanderpaul as the only 2 consistent bats in that side for years. Hooper was an enigma, Adams played a role and later on Sarwan was good early in his career but that was about it. It was nearly all on them.

Compare that to Ponting who had probably the greatest opening partnership in front of him and absolute legends behind him. He deteriorated a bit as a bat at the same time the team was dipping as well. South Africa weren't as good but Kirsten rolled into Smith and they always had lots of talent there with the bat and often batted very deep with Pollock, Klusener etc. India's top order was a bit more transient but Sachin had Sehwag there for ages and spent much of his career with Dravid, Ganguly and Laxman around him.

All absolute legends but BC Lara was just that bit more of a genuine match winner with the willow IMO.
Exceptional points.
Lara was THE WI. Get Lara, you get the WI. You can certainly draw parallels to Bradman in this respect.

Watch this video. Look at the scores of Lara getting out. It's either 2/3 for sfa or the same for thousands only due to him.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

julian87 wrote: February 13, 2020, 6:44 pm
Matt wrote: February 12, 2020, 9:28 am
julian87 wrote: February 12, 2020, 9:18 am I'm liking the Lara love.

Always rated him a notch higher than Tendulkar, Kallis and Ponting who all tend to be grouped together. All have similar averages in international cricket but Lara played 70% or more of his test career in some pretty ordinary batting lineups. He only just crossed over careers with Greenidge and had maybe 3/4 years with Haynes. Gayle didn't debut until about 6 years after Haynes and they deadset did not have a genuinely test class opener in the meantime. So he played the majority of his test career averaging over 50 in the middle order with opening batsmen who were averaging generally in the 20s or low 30s at absolute best (rotating doors of Phil Simmons, Philo Wallace, Stuart Williams, Sherwin Campbell, Wavell Hinds and Daren Ganga). Richie Richardson retired early in his career too which left Lara and Chanderpaul as the only 2 consistent bats in that side for years. Hooper was an enigma, Adams played a role and later on Sarwan was good early in his career but that was about it. It was nearly all on them.

Compare that to Ponting who had probably the greatest opening partnership in front of him and absolute legends behind him. He deteriorated a bit as a bat at the same time the team was dipping as well. South Africa weren't as good but Kirsten rolled into Smith and they always had lots of talent there with the bat and often batted very deep with Pollock, Klusener etc. India's top order was a bit more transient but Sachin had Sehwag there for ages and spent much of his career with Dravid, Ganguly and Laxman around him.

All absolute legends but BC Lara was just that bit more of a genuine match winner with the willow IMO.
Exceptional points.
Lara was THE WI. Get Lara, you get the WI. You can certainly draw parallels to Bradman in this respect.

Watch this video. Look at the scores of Lara getting out. It's either 2/3 for sfa or the same for thousands only due to him.
correct
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Womens T20 WC from Sydney Showgrounds.

AUS won the toss and chose to bowl.

IND 3/76 after 12 overs.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Womens T20 WC.

IND 4/132 from 20 overs.

AUS innings to start soon.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Cam Green making runs again. I really hope this kid is the real deal.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Matt wrote: February 25, 2020, 8:28 pm Cam Green making runs again. I really hope this kid is the real deal.
If he can overcome his back issues he might end our long search for a quality all-rounder.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: February 25, 2020, 8:44 pm
Matt wrote: February 25, 2020, 8:28 pm Cam Green making runs again. I really hope this kid is the real deal.
If he can overcome his back issues he might end our long search for a quality all-rounder.
Thats where I was going. Would be nice to have a top flight allrounder, with Wattos talent, and hopefully not the injuries, LBW issues or review hog issues.
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

How embarrassing can't beat lowly RSA

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Makaveli wrote: March 1, 2020, 7:18 pm How embarrassing can't beat lowly RSA

:lol: They're ranked higher than AUS...
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

No idea how they have been a shadow of the team they once were

-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

That's true.

Kallis, Pollock, Kluessner, Cronje, Rhodes, Boucher, Kirsten have left a massive hole...
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

AUS men lose third ODI v SA last night and lose series 3-0.

SA have beaten AUS 11 times in last 12 games.

Lowly SA :)
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Who cares, it's 4 years til the next world cup

ODI cricket in the meantime is pointless

-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

What's up Tim ?

You got a thorn in your paw ?

Tired ? Angry ?

It's this International Women's Day thing right ?

I don't get it either...
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

washed out of the semi's, second year in a row.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

That's no good boney.

Are you still leading the batting averages ?

Got that trophy all sewn up ?
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Womens T20 WC Final starts at 6pm.

AUS v IND.

Massive crowd expected at the G.