Jack Wighton signs four-year extension with Canberra Raiders

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Bay53
Steve Walters

Re: Jack Wighton to finalise $3 million four year Raiders deal this week

Post by Bay53 »

Good news, but at the same time it does bring pressure. At that sort of money, the year he had last year has to be the standard or we won’t be successful.
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

BadnMean wrote: February 10, 2020, 10:10 pm
Ruben Daley wrote: February 10, 2020, 8:39 pm
Beejay wrote: February 10, 2020, 6:33 pm Back in the bad old days he’d be shopped around and on the verge of signing for a Sydney club until we come up with $1.2m per annum to keep him.

As much as I’ve had my moments with Ricky Stuart as coach, everything about this club has changed since he returned.
He should never leave.
So true! We used to pay overs for nobodies, now we pay unders for stars. What is going on?!
The Ricknaissance my friend, the Ricknaissance.
I love it!
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Ruben Daley wrote: February 11, 2020, 9:22 pm
BadnMean wrote: February 10, 2020, 10:10 pm

The Ricknaissance my friend, the Ricknaissance.
I love it!
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Signed and done!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Clive Churchill Medalist Jack Wighton's redemption has been rewarded with a four-year deal, which the Canberra Raiders five-eighth will sign today. It caps a remarkable turnaround for Wighton who just two years ago was close to losing his career due to several assault charges. Now he's been rewarded with a four-year extension that ties him to the capital until the end of the 2024 season.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14280
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Re: Jack Wighton signs four-year extension with Canberra Raiders

Post by -TW- »

Good stuff

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Nice. Now let's win this thing.
Ronny P
Peter Jackson

Post by Ronny P »

Bay53 wrote:Good news, but at the same time it does bring pressure. At that sort of money, the year he had last year has to be the standard or we won’t be successful.
1000% correct! I hope its front ended.....

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

OFFICIAL STATEMENT: Jack Wighton re-signs with Raiders until end of 2024

The Canberra Raiders have received a huge boost ahead of the 2020 season, with star playmaker Jack Wighton re-signing with the club on a new four-year deal which will see him in green until the end of 2024.

Wighton was among the Raiders best during 2019, with a shift to five-eighth seeing him develop into one of the game’s most dangerous playmakers, claiming the Clive Churchill medal for the best player in the 2019 Grand Final.

His stunning form was also rewarded with representative honours during 2019, as he made his debut for the NSW Blues and the Australian Kangaroos during a magnificent season.

Wighton made his debut for the Raiders in 2012 and has played 156 matches for the club scoring 46 tries.

Having made the Grand Final in 2019, Wighton said his re-signing was all about helping the club go one step further and said his decision to stay at the club was based on future success.

“I want to win a competition with the Raiders,” Wighton said. “I know we have the squad to do it and if we can stay together and continue what we’ve built we’ll be able to achieve our goal.”

He said Canberra was his home and where he wanted to stay and was grateful for the way the club had given him his opportunities.

“I love the club. They’ve always been there for me and I want to repay them by staying and playing the best footy I can to be successful,” he said.

Raiders CEO Don Furner said Wighton’s re-signing had been a priority and that Jack’s decision was based on remaining with the club and achieving success.

“Jack has been with the club since he was a junior and this deal will see him become a 10-year player at first grade level, which in this era is a significant achievement,” Furner said. “It’s also worth noting that during the negotiations Jack’s decision to re-sign was based mainly on future success, which shows the belief he has in the club moving forward.”

“Jack could have earnt more money by signing with another club but sacrificed that against what we have here in Canberra. He took much less money to stay and that says a lot about Jack and his stability here.”

Canberra Raiders media

VIDEO: Best of Jack Wighton: To celebrate the re-signing of Jack Wighton. Check out some of his career best highlights: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2020/02 ... k-wighton/
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Good stuff. Really looking forward to watching him play this year.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

zim wrote: February 12, 2020, 11:00 am Good stuff. Really looking forward to watching him play this year.
Itll be nice watching him with no question marks
Dont delete this GE
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Great news.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Great news...looking forward to seeing his development into the games best 5/8th.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Like CNK and Hodgo, the contract definitely looks to be under what he could have got elsewhere. Significant thing to point out as they are the core of our spine.

Good signs.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Deal of a lifetime: Jack Wighton joins Canberra Raiders royalty

Canberra have re-signed Jack Wighton on one of the longest contracts in the club's history.

"I think I'm on the path to being a one club player, well and truly with this contract," Wighton said. "It's something I'm stoked about, it's something that doesn't happen very much these days. If I can become a one-club player in a city like Canberra, I'd be really grateful.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/02/12/wig ... d-of-2024/

Canberra Raiders star Jack Wighton re-signs to 2024: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/canberra-n ... 64ac1040d1
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Great signing, he really has the best year of his career in 2019, let’s hope it continues
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Rebellious to respected: The nous that Jack built

A change of position, a shift in attitude, a growth spurt in maturity. So what exactly was it that moulded Jack Wighton from standing in the dock of a criminal court to a Clive Churchill Medallist?

"What happened is in the past. All credit to Jack because he moved forward pretty quickly and the club went with him," coach Ricky Stuart said. "We all love Jack. He is one of those lovable personalities. And for the boys in the team, he is a really good friend to have."

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/02/12/reb ... ack-built/

Jack Wighton puts glory before cash

Clive Churchill Medallist Jack Wighton could've been a million-dollar man, but he decided to stay with the Canberra Raiders to chase an NRL premiership.

"I repaid them, they repaid me and I love the club," he said. "I love the club. It's not about loyalty I just love the club. This is where my heart lies and this is the decision I made and I'm very happy with it."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Even when Jackie Boi was on the cans he always came across as a pretty easy going guy and pretty happy. Not sure what triggered that night out where he lost his ****, but it all seemed a bit odd. Credit to him for using the situation to become more professional and move towards reaching his potential.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

@TheGHRaiders

VIDEO: Hear from Canberra Raiders five eighth Jack Wighton after signing a new deal to keep him with the Green Machine to end 2024. WIN News Canberra reports: http://ow.ly/qY0I50yk990

#NRL #WeAreRaiders #wearecbr
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

I reckon this deal is spot on in terms of length and $ (if the rumors of 750k are correct). I was extremely critical of anyone saying we should pay him more, but to suggest that this amount is overs would be far off the mark. There wouldnt be a starting first grade half on less than 500k per annum so wighton at 750k is money well spent.

I reckon this is a great outcome for all parties and you'd think it should leave plenty of cap space to resign croker, cotric and bateman.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

This is pure guess work... The media saying it is "over" $3 million... wouldn't surprise if something like the original figure was stuck with for 2021 and it is something like $850,000 in subsequent years. They're still talking about a figure close to $1 million with NSW and Kangaroos payments. The latest figure I could find for Origin was $40,000 a game, and there are figures floating around of $20,000 for a Kangaroos Test (but for some games that's been reduced significantly to $5,000, so as to allow for equal pay with second tier teams)... so say $150,000 in representative payments could be assumed (roughly). That might add up to something like $3.25-3.3 million.

If those numbers stack up, it is no wonder the club and management are saying Jack could have received a fair bit more at another club.

It is very impressive what he's done, IMO. Shows genuine regard, love for the club.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Sure does! But then the club stuck by him as well, didn't it?
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

Sid wrote: February 12, 2020, 3:11 pm Great signing, he really has the best year of his career in 2019, let’s hope it continues
He did have the best year of his career last year. Good on him. Hope he keeps it up.
Great signing for all parties
Last edited by Neeeegz on February 12, 2020, 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I love you Jack Wighton.

Rip in champion..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

Great News. If he backs up last year with another stellar year in 2020 and makes all the Rep teams again we really have one of the elite players in the NRL.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
In Ricky We Trust
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I think he'll do all that Brew...

He's working his way into the top echelon of players I reckon.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: February 12, 2020, 6:35 pm This is pure guess work... The media saying it is "over" $3 million... wouldn't surprise if something like the original figure was stuck with for 2021 and it is something like $850,000 in subsequent years. They're still talking about a figure close to $1 million with NSW and Kangaroos payments. The latest figure I could find for Origin was $40,000 a game, and there are figures floating around of $20,000 for a Kangaroos Test (but for some games that's been reduced significantly to $5,000, so as to allow for equal pay with second tier teams)... so say $150,000 in representative payments could be assumed (roughly). That might add up to something like $3.25-3.3 million.

If those numbers stack up, it is no wonder the club and management are saying Jack could have received a fair bit more at another club.

It is very impressive what he's done, IMO. Shows genuine regard, love for the club.
I’d be guessing too but I reckon you’ve nailed it with the pay structure
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: February 12, 2020, 7:47 pm
greeneyed wrote: February 12, 2020, 6:35 pm This is pure guess work... The media saying it is "over" $3 million... wouldn't surprise if something like the original figure was stuck with for 2021 and it is something like $850,000 in subsequent years. They're still talking about a figure close to $1 million with NSW and Kangaroos payments. The latest figure I could find for Origin was $40,000 a game, and there are figures floating around of $20,000 for a Kangaroos Test (but for some games that's been reduced significantly to $5,000, so as to allow for equal pay with second tier teams)... so say $150,000 in representative payments could be assumed (roughly). That might add up to something like $3.25-3.3 million.

I’d be guessing too but I reckon you’ve nailed it with the pay structure
At 750K a yr plus rep money (structure of it is probably different as per the above), I reckon we just got Jack on the cheap. Even the players are buying into 'The Window'. Let get a trophy!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

VIDEO: Wighton blossoming into leader: Canberra Raiders second-rower Elliott Whitehead reacts to teammate Jack Wighton's new contract: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/02/14/wig ... to-leader/
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Matt wrote: February 13, 2020, 8:24 am

At 750K a yr plus rep money (structure of it is probably different as per the above), I reckon we just got Jack on the cheap. Even the players are buying into 'The Window'. Let get a trophy!
Yeah it's a deal I think everyone can be happy with. It is commensurate pay for an excellent half- but just short of crazy money or what a top halfback might get (he's not Cooper Cronk or JT). Long term gives him a lot of safety and certainty- some players crave that, some like to ride their luck. I think having genuinely stared down how quickly it can all disappear Jack might err to the former camp these days.

I really think his best footy is just emerging. Go Jack!