All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

-TW-
Mal Meninga

Re: Canberra Raiders offering Jack Wighton close to $3 million

Post by -TW- »

LastRaider wrote:
-TW- wrote:
LastRaider wrote:I can live with $900k a year. I think we are a risk of losing Bateman now.

Estimations
Papa - $800k + rep
Wighton - $900k + rep
Hodgson - $800k
BJ - $700k
Total: $3.2m + rep payments there (4 players, 30% of the cap)
The cap will be 10m by the time he's actually due

Also rep payments don't count to the cap, only if they have bonuses in their contracts for making rep sides

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk
I think Bateman wants an upgrade for next year
That's nice, he signed for 3 years.. he can wait

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

-TW- wrote: January 17, 2020, 11:13 am
LastRaider wrote:
-TW- wrote:
LastRaider wrote:I can live with $900k a year. I think we are a risk of losing Bateman now.

Estimations
Papa - $800k + rep
Wighton - $900k + rep
Hodgson - $800k
BJ - $700k

Also rep payments don't count to the cap, only if they have bonuses in their contracts for making rep sides

Yeah, that's not how this is going to go down
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Yeah if we dig our heels in, he’ll get homesick and sign for a million a season with the West Tigers
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

How Latrell saga will keep Wighton at Raiders

The Canberra Raiders are keen to move quickly to lock up Jack Wighton, Jarrod Croker and Nick Cotric for the long term.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... ed5d941591
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

yeh raiders wrote: January 17, 2020, 5:02 pm Yeah if we dig our heels in, he’ll get homesick and sign for a million a season with the West Tigers
Correct. There is no putting the toothpaste back in the player empowerment tube.
He's going to get his contract upgraded at some point this year... my reading of the tea leaves, the club has the money to keep Beej on the books this year, but i dont think he'll be here... once he's offloaded, the JB upgrade and extension will come.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Botman wrote: January 17, 2020, 12:21 pm
-TW- wrote: January 17, 2020, 11:13 am
LastRaider wrote:
-TW- wrote:

Estimations
Papa - $800k + rep
Wighton - $900k + rep
Hodgson - $800k
BJ - $700k

Yeah, that's not how this is going to go down
I have been told they signed Bateman on such absolute peanuts that it's ridiculous to try and keep him on what he was on. There will be an upgrade, it's been in the works, discussed since mid last year since JB found out what the other Poms first signed on. He'll get paid but I don't think we'll need to go to crazy money either.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Some positive quotes from Don Furner and Matt Rose...

"I'd be surprised if all three aren't done before kick off. They are all Canberra boys and we would love to get all three deals done before the start of the season. That is our main aim and I don't see why it won't happen. We have had a disrupted pre season obviously but we will all be back in Canberra next week and hopefully we can have it all tied up by the end of February." - Don Furner

"To be honest Jack would be very sought after on the open market. I know that just from initial discussions I have had with people. But it wasn't something I pushed ahead with because at this stage I feel if we get everything right I think a Raiders deal would be in the best interest of Jack." - Matt Rose.

Suggested Raiders will have to get close to $1 million for Wighton, $550,000 for Cotric... "hard to put a figure on Croker"... but he might be staying for love...
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

greeneyed wrote: January 18, 2020, 10:58 am Some positive quotes from Don Furner and Matt Rose...

"I'd be surprised if all three aren't done before kick off. They are all Canberra boys and we would love to get all three deals done before the start of the season. That is our main aim and I don't see why it won't happen. We have had a disrupted pre season obviously but we will all be back in Canberra next week and hopefully we can have it all tied up by the end of February." - Don Furner

"To be honest Jack would be very sought after on the open market. I know that just from initial discussions I have had with people. But it wasn't something I pushed ahead with because at this stage I feel if we get everything right I think a Raiders deal would be in the best interest of Jack." - Matt Rose.

Suggested Raiders will have to get close to $1 million for Wighton, $550,000 for Cotric... "hard to put a figure on Croker"... but he might be staying for love...
Ado Carr went looking for $500k and apparently has heard crickets...

Cotric is origin and likely to be in the origin mix for a while to come. $550k is an awful lot for a winger though. Is this the point the NRL has reached that wingers get more than centres now? I can see why in the modern game.

Having rewatched last year, he was extremely good in what people still thought was a slight underachievement from him. He's definitely in the top 3 wingers with Vunivalu and Sivo. Fergo might be thereabouts too but he's 4th imo.

Probably just about right for Cotric, given his professionalism and if that was his worst year and he still makes Origin and Roos and aquits himself well then the floor is pretty high to say the least. Rapana was tearing the whole comp up when he was worth that sort of money is my only misgiving.
Danaman137
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by Danaman137 »

BadnMean wrote:
greeneyed wrote: January 18, 2020, 10:58 am Some positive quotes from Don Furner and Matt Rose...

Ado Carr went looking for $500k and apparently has heard crickets...

Cotric is origin and likely to be in the origin mix for a while to come. $550k is an awful lot for a winger though. Is this the point the NRL has reached that wingers get more than centres now? I can see why in the modern game.

Having rewatched last year, he was extremely good in what people still thought was a slight underachievement from him. He's definitely in the top 3 wingers with Vunivalu and Sivo. Fergo might be thereabouts too but he's 4th imo.

Probably just about right for Cotric, given his professionalism and if that was his worst year and he still makes Origin and Roos and aquits himself well then the floor is pretty high to say the least. Rapana was tearing the whole comp up when he was worth that sort of money is my only misgiving.
Strongly agree with this Cotric opinion. I’m just over halfway through my 2019 rewatch and I’m amazed at how bad a season I thought Cotric was having. It was a lower try scoring year for sure but he was busting tackles left, right and centre. So solid in defence aswell. Especially in the wing position. Jams in very well, reads the play well and always follows his centre in and usually comes up with the right play.
Can’t wait to see him develop his new combo with Scott. Could be a new Leipana type situation there given time. (Scott is not leilua but he’s also quite a bit younger and can grow with cotric.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

If this is a "down year" for Cotric, he's in for a hellova career.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders and Jack Wighton right on track for new four-year deal

Canberra is closing in on the signature of Jack Wighton after tabling a four-year, multi-million dollar deal for the star playmaker in a meeting with manager Matt Rose last week. A deal could be settled in days or by next week.

“Things are moving in the right direction,” said Raiders CEO Don Furner. “He wants to stay; we want to keep him. We’re just moving towards the next step. That’s what we’re working on now.”

Read more: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/raider ... 53xqw.html

Jack Wighton on cusp of new four-year, multimillion-dollar mega deal with Canberra Raiders: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 4791df85a7
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Good.

Jack is a fighter.

We like that !!
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

HappyBirthday for yesterday Jack.

He's now 27, it's like I've missed a year somewhere.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

-PJ- wrote:HappyBirthday for yesterday Jack.

He's now 27, it's like I've missed a year somewhere.
We’ve erased 2011 from our memory
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Jack Wighton set for four year contract extension with Raiders

Post by greeneyed »

VIDEO: Canberra Raiders star Jack Wighton is set to cash in - he's about to sign a big contract extension with Canberra, as he hopes to remain a one-club player. @JakeDuke1 #9News @9NewsSyd

https://twitter.com/9NewsSyd/status/1225327226968793088
edwahu

Re: Jack Wighton set for four year contract extension with Raiders

Post by edwahu »

Looks like it's all but official and at a very reasonable price

3 million boost - Why Canberra Raiders Star Turned Back on NRL Rivals

He went home with the Clive Churchill Medal for his courageous performance in Canberra’s heartbreaking grand final defeat last year.

Now star five-eighth Jack Wighton has turned his back on the chance to earn more money elsewhere so he can go one better “and win a premiership with the Raiders.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal that just days after celebrating his 27th birthday, Wighton will finalise a four-year deal with Canberra this week worth more than $3 million.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 6399004b7e
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Re: Jack Wighton to finalise four year deal worth more than $3 million with Raiders this week

Post by BadnMean »

Good deal for us. If Jack plays Origin and Kangaroos he'll make around $1 mill a season. Hope he does.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Jack Wighton to finalise $3 million four year Raiders deal this week

Post by greeneyed »

$3 million boost: Why Canberra Raiders star turned back on NRL rivals

Jack Wighton has turned his back on the chance to earn more money elsewhere so he can go one better “and win a premiership with the Raiders”. Wighton will finalise a four-year deal with Canberra this week worth more than $3 million.

“Jack had considerable opportunity to earn more but has chosen to take less to try and win a premiership with the Raiders,” Matt Rose said. “Look, it is pretty much finalised. We just have to sign off on it.”

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 6399004b7e
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Smart move for both parties.

For a guy like Wighton who (to be frank) has had his share of personal and off field issues, this is exactly the right kind of deal.

Too many players eke out those extra dollars at another club, but the pressure and expectation that comes with the extra pay impacts their play and impacts their mental well-being.

Jack will live out a longer and happier post playing career knowing he earnt a premiership with his developing skills and that he gave back to the club and supporters who backed him through the tough times.

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Great news. Didn't for a single moment think he was going to leave.

Glad it's all sorted.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

"more than" $3m over 4 years ($750k p.a.). Doesn't say how much more so could be a number of incentives e.g. Rep bonuses, that aren't yet quantified.

$750k is what his current deal was reported to be. Assuming he'll end up getting a bit more than that it's a pretty fair deal all round.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

It'd surely have to be in the order of $850k per season.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Seiffert82 wrote: February 10, 2020, 4:35 pm It'd surely have to be in the order of $850k per season.
Guessing here but I'd say it is with rep bonuses included. Basically saying he'll be paid as an Origin level player provided he maintains that level of form (not that form has always been a criteria for NSW selection). Otherwise he's probably getting paid unders.

Of course we don't know if any other club weas willing to pay anything north of that figure. Manager may have tested the market and wasn't seeing anything significantly more than what the Raiders we offering. A player at the upper end of the pay scale generally won't jump ship for $50k-$100k unless they're unhappy at the current club.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

Back in the bad old days he’d be shopped around and on the verge of signing for a Sydney club until we come up with $1.2m per annum to keep him.

As much as I’ve had my moments with Ricky Stuart as coach, everything about this club has changed since he returned.
He should never leave.
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

Beejay wrote: February 10, 2020, 6:33 pm Back in the bad old days he’d be shopped around and on the verge of signing for a Sydney club until we come up with $1.2m per annum to keep him.

As much as I’ve had my moments with Ricky Stuart as coach, everything about this club has changed since he returned.
He should never leave.
So true! We used to pay overs for nobodies, now we pay unders for stars. What is going on?!
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Savage, Timoko, Strange, Tapine, Rapana

Post by Neeeegz »

This is Jack backing himself to repay the raiders. And if he plays well, then rep team bonuses too. Good on him. I wanted him sacked last year, but I'll eat my words and am glad we gave him a chance.
Last edited by Neeeegz on February 11, 2020, 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Old School Green
Dean Lance

Post by Old School Green »

Jack gonna get paid 🤑😜
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
I was there. Go the Milk !!
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Ruben Daley wrote: February 10, 2020, 8:39 pm
Beejay wrote: February 10, 2020, 6:33 pm Back in the bad old days he’d be shopped around and on the verge of signing for a Sydney club until we come up with $1.2m per annum to keep him.

He should never leave.
So true! We used to pay overs for nobodies, now we pay unders for stars. What is going on?!
The Ricknaissance my friend, the Ricknaissance.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

He should never leave.
...or we offer said player $1.2m but they would get homesick and signs with the
Broncos for $300k plus undisclosed TPAs.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Jack Wighton a different beast a year on from Canberra Raiders No.6 switch

Clive Churchill Medal. NSW and Australian debuts. NRL grand final. If Jack Wighton could do all that when he still unsure about his switch to five-eighth, imagine what the Canberra Raiders No.6 can do in 2020.

""If we're close [to re-signing him] then that will be great news for the club. He's extremely important. The way he played last year, he's the prototypical player you want in your side. He's a great clubman. I'm glad he's going to be staying if that's the case," assistant coach Andrew McFadden said.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Jeez im just really happy with jack. Feels weird to want to thank a guy for accepting nearly a mill a year. I just really like how he’s conducted himself on the face of this deal. Sends a good message to others about the club.
Thanks Jack
Dont delete this GE
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

simo wrote: February 11, 2020, 6:49 pm Jeez im just really happy with jack. Feels weird to want to thank a guy for accepting nearly a mill a year. I just really like how he’s conducted himself on the face of this deal. Sends a good message to others about the club.
Thanks Jack
I think I understand. He'd be a mug not to explore his "true" market value at this stage- his absolute contract prime given age, form, rep honours, achievement etc. All he needed to do in order to do that was not activate an extension- that's why it is an option, no harm there.

Managed to do it with a minimum of bad timing or management tricks.

I guess he had a look at what was offered, found the difference to be not that persuasive, given moving costs (not insignificant both material and immaterial with family), potential value as a "one club man" post footy or to current TPA's and hopefully measured against risk too- likelihood of it all staying rosy and good future achievements/continued success with coach and club vs chance of it all going a bit wrong and next contract or future earnings being risked.

All he had to do was stay out of the media, decline inevitable interview/journo bait questions and sit tight.

Idle speculation: Obviously a contented player is harder to shift than an unsettled one. If I was Jack it'd take an extra 75 to 100k/year to start to tempt me (vs all the aforementioned). Say 10- 12.5% higher than current offer?

If I was unsettled, yeah maybe 7.5-10% is enough. (unsettled vs unhappy who might just shift regardless)

Lower paid player might need a bit more even - would I move for 112k vs 100k? From Canberra to Sydney? Only if I was unsettled and wanted to go to Sydney for other reasons- but on housing and costs etc there I'm taking a loss by then really. So lower tier players tend to stay put.

Or 225k vs 200k? If it's over 3 years then it starts to look tempting again. Interesting that down at this level, 25k a year is tempting but I perceived my temptation to be a lot less to be if I was imagining a top tier player on something like 800k.

Perhaps because the mid tier player like that has no TPA's or likelihood of riding footies coat-tails in retirement like a former Origin star might?
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: February 10, 2020, 2:11 pm "more than" $3m over 4 years ($750k p.a.). Doesn't say how much more so could be a number of incentives e.g. Rep bonuses, that aren't yet quantified.

$750k is what his current deal was reported to be. Assuming he'll end up getting a bit more than that it's a pretty fair deal all round.
If it comes in under 3.5m for 4 years, we've had a BIG win.
But also suspect some TPAs are invovled and the take home pay for Wighton will be over 1m a year
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Botman wrote: February 11, 2020, 7:15 pm
Northern Raider wrote: February 10, 2020, 2:11 pm "more than" $3m over 4 years ($750k p.a.). Doesn't say how much more so could be a number of incentives e.g. Rep bonuses, that aren't yet quantified.

But also suspect some TPAs are invovled and the take home pay for Wighton will be over 1m a year
"Take home pay" will be more like $550k once the tax man gets hold of it. :lol:
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: February 11, 2020, 7:22 pm
Botman wrote: February 11, 2020, 7:15 pm

"Take home pay" will be more like $550k once the tax man gets hold of it. :lol:
Haha fair call.