Cronulla Sharks 2020

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

gerg
Laurie Daley

Re: Cronulla Sharks 2020

Post by gerg »

Actually it does sound a little like bitter raiders fans to me. His first few seasons in the top grade were - and I choose my words carefully and deliberately here - were exceptional for a young guy. Rewatching his early years with us I don't think anybody would claim him to be a selfish player. He put his body on the line every week for our club, our jersey.

There isn't a fan of rugby league who isn't of the opinion that he is an absolute douche and has a poor attitude but at one point our club and our fan base absolutely loved him as a player. Let's not rewrite history here.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

gergreg wrote: February 9, 2020, 11:23 am Actually it does sound a little like bitter raiders fans to me. His first few seasons in the top grade were - and I choose my words carefully and deliberately here - were exceptional for a young guy. Rewatching his early years with us I don't think anybody would claim him to be a selfish player. He put his body on the line every week for our club, our jersey.

There isn't a fan of rugby league who isn't of the opinion that he is an absolute douche and has a poor attitude but at one point our club and our fan base absolutely loved him as a player. Let's not rewrite history here.

What he produced in those early years made it even more frustrating for fans. Well know what he was capable of when he applied himself. It was like as a junior coming into senior ranks he was willing to do the hard work to get to the top. Once he established himself a one of the a Raiders star player that's when the selfish attitude kicked in and he started to phone it in.

The fire re-ignited when he first joined the Dragons then history began to repeat.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Yes I think we all saw that with Dugan. He’d try and stop Dave Taylor, but then he’d let 5 other players waltz past him near the try line without Dugan applying himself anything like 100% to stop the play.

Opposite of what we saw with CNK this season completed.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Classic case of a talented young player who did it all on natural ability. No real sense of work ethic or a team-first approach, just a guy who knew he was good at footy and didn't really like being told what to do.

At his best, he's a gun fullback. Can do it all. At his worst he's a blight on the team.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

I actually did think he was a selfish player for us but he got away with it so it didn't matter.
There was an u20s semi he won the game with a hail Mary grubber for himself that he scores the matchwinner, an absolute flogging of the knights where he ball hogged repeatedly.
Him and Carney were supposed to lead us to the promised land but just set us back a decade

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Remembering young Josh Dugan, the prince of Canberra

As the Josh Dugan saga continues to be played out, it seems there is a real possibility this could be the end of the Cronulla man’s career, or at least the end of a major part of it.

From the time he debuted in 2009, Dugan could always break tackles. If the first defender he met took him down it was a genuine shock. In that debut season he broke 104 tackles in 16 games — James Tedesco led the entire league in 2019 with 136 across 24 games. he was never better than he was in 2010. That was the kind of season any fullback would have been proud to call their best.

He scored 13 tries, which remains a career high. He made 21 line breaks, which remains a career high. They say now that Dugan can’t pass, but he could back then, and he did – his 10 try assists and 10 line break assists remain career highs. He broke an astounding 170 tackles which not only remains a career high, but a total no player has surpassed since.

Read more: ‪http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/ ... 3dc0e8e68‬
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Looking back on it he was always going to struggle when he slowed up and he became less durable. His lack of ability to do anything creative with the ball was always evident but because he had such a strong, bouncing running game it didn't matter so much as a young fella. It also seems pretty obvious from the outside looking in that he just put way too much weight on in his mid 20s. Was probably told to do so to be more durable or have more utility value but it's done the opposite IMO and he's been below NRL standard in any position but right centre for a couple of years now for mine.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Also; good on Cronulla for not releasing Josh Morris. Ramien got sniped off them and they signed Morris as the affordable alternative.They took the punt on him at 32 when it looked like his best might be behind him and from memory the only other club who went for him was the Titans. He performed well for them and I can understand his angst in not wanting to shift to the wing but that's the club's call, not his. If Cronulla were to release him they'd have zero chance of finding a replacement that is anywhere near as good or as good value for money.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

greeneyed wrote: February 12, 2020, 1:56 am Remembering young Josh Dugan, the prince of Canberra

As the Josh Dugan saga continues to be played out, it seems there is a real possibility this could be the end of the Cronulla man’s career, or at least the end of a major part of it.

From the time he debuted in 2009, Dugan could always break tackles. If the first defender he met took him down it was a genuine shock. In that debut season he broke 104 tackles in 16 games — James Tedesco led the entire league in 2019 with 136 across 24 games. he was never better than he was in 2010. That was the kind of season any fullback would have been proud to call their best.

He scored 13 tries, which remains a career high. He made 21 line breaks, which remains a career high. They say now that Dugan can’t pass, but he could back then, and he did – his 10 try assists and 10 line break assists remain career highs. He broke an astounding 170 tackles which not only remains a career high, but a total no player has surpassed since.

Read more: ‪http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/ ... 3dc0e8e68‬
He really was outstanding at his best. Just a pity he never really wanted to play for us. It always seemed a struggle to get him on the park.

It was almost impossible to emotionally invest in his career as it was inevitable he was going to leave the club one way or another.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

According to The Daily Telegraph, two MRI scans have cleared him and the Sharks are now paying him $900,000 to nurse a “mystery illness”: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 7855029fd2
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Inflamed wallet?

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

I'm guessing mystery injuries don't qualify for medical retirement.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

That is dead set outrageous. The guy is an absolute fraud.

He'll medically retired based on 'mental health' issues. I wonder under what circumstances the Sharks can sack him for breach of contract? Puts an interesting spin on the issue of his doctor giving him medical certificates to skip training.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Seiffert82 wrote:That is dead set outrageous. The guy is an absolute fraud.

He'll medically retired based on 'mental health' issues. I wonder under what circumstances the Sharks can sack him for breach of contract? Puts an interesting spin on the issue of his doctor giving him medical certificates to skip training.
Didn't GI medically retire from mental illness issues?

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

gergreg wrote: February 12, 2020, 5:09 pm

Except I believe Inglis didn't get paid out the remainder of his contract like Surgess.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Northern Raider wrote:

Except I believe Inglis didn't get paid out the remainder of his contract like Surgess.
I thought it was quite similar circumstances actually, cushy job. Kind of why everybody was losing their **** when Surgess did it too. Particularly Tigers supporters after the NRL hung them out to dry over Fatah.

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

gergreg wrote: February 12, 2020, 5:33 pm
Northern Raider wrote:

I thought it was quite similar circumstances actually, cushy job. Kind of why everybody was losing their **** when Surgess did it too. Particularly Tigers supporters after the NRL hung them out to dry over Fatah.

Tigers got royally screwed with Farah compared to what happened at Souffs. The only real difference was the Bunnies got permission from the NRL first.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

gergreg wrote:

Nah his knees and shoulder was cactus

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

-TW- wrote:
gergreg wrote:

Nah his knees and shoulder was cactus

But he was still playing. Bennett arrived and discovered he was taking painkillers to play. So arguably he was still capable of playing but his mental wellbeing was suffering and Bennett convinced him to retire. I think it was a good call and probably more above board than how the Surgess retirement unfolded. I can see parallels in the Dugan case. He thinks his body and mind have had enough and the sharks are pissed because they signed him for big dollars. Classic case of buyers remorse.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Cronulla Sharks Bronson Xerri stood down over performance enhancing drugs test

The National Rugby League (NRL) has today provisionally suspended Cronulla Sharks player Bronson Xerri under the NRL’s Anti-Doping Policy.

The Provisional Suspension Notice asserts that Mr Xerri returned a positive A-sample for exogenous Testosterone, Androsterone, Etiocholanolone and 5b-androstane-3a,17b-diol which are prohibited by the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) and the NRL’s Anti-Doping Policy. He was tested by the Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority (ASADA) on 25 November 2019.

Mr Xerri is prohibited from participating in any WADA compliant sport, including rugby league, while the provisional suspension is in place.

Under the Anti-Doping Policy, Mr Xerri now has the opportunity to have his B-sample analysed.

The NRL has spoken with Mr Xerri and advised him of the support services available to him.

The NRL will not be making further comment while this process is underway.

NRL media release

Xerri fails ASADA drugs test, stood down immediately: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/05/26/xer ... mediately/

Cronulla Sharks young gun facing multi-year doping ban after positive test: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/bronson-xe ... ccf42ec014
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

The Sharks doping. What a shock.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

End of season cocktails.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Just yesterday this was the report...

One of the NRL's fastest men will return to rugby league even quicker with Cronulla centre Bronson Xerri claiming he's shaved down his sprint times: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/sharks-xer ... 4c56484b94
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

This really should be in the raiders thread for all to enjoy.
Dont delete this GE
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

greeneyed wrote:Just yesterday this was the report...

One of the NRL's fastest men will return to rugby league even quicker with Cronulla centre Bronson Xerri claiming he's shaved down his sprint times: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/sharks-xer ... 4c56484b94
Oh dear

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

T_R wrote: May 26, 2020, 3:11 pm
greeneyed wrote:Just yesterday this was the report...

Oh dear

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Did it Ben Johnson style.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Elite athletes taking PEDs ..... Shock horror!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Anabolic steroids and testosterone: Bronson Xerri’s alleged doping breach explained

Let’s break down what Xerri is accused of – and why he could face a four-year ban. The NRL statement says Xerri’s sample tested positive to ‘exogenous’ testosterone and the three other substances. The NRL statement lists three other substances: ‘Androsterone, Etiocholanolone and 5b-androstane-3a, 17b-diol”.

Dr Gregory Haff from Edith Cowan University, a Professor of Strength and Conditioning, told Fox Sports that the substances “are all part of the athlete biological passport for the detection of endogenous anabolic androgenic steroid use and are easily found depending upon what the athlete has taken.”

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 108dfcb646

Bronson Xerri’s sprint coach bragged he was the fastest player in the NRL. Now we know why: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... eb91da2d54

From lean teen to jacked speed freak in a year: Sharks star stood down for doping: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... f8b0ec9298
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

greeneyed wrote: May 26, 2020, 5:13 pm ...From lean teen to jacked speed freak...
:lol: That's a great headline.
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

But he plays for Cronulla.. nothing to see here
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Cronulla..doin it right !!
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Isn’t it quicker to write articles about the Sharks players that aren’t cheats?
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I like to think of myself as fairly upbeat and positive. It's refreshing to see a NRL club with the same philosophy.

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Word is he'll get a 4 year ban, backdated to June 2016.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Northern Raider wrote: May 27, 2020, 8:49 am Word is he'll get a 4 year ban, backdated to June 2016.
Three weeks on the sidelines. Seems fair.