A new Canberra Stadium

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Where would you like a new Canberra Stadium to be built?

Civic
82%
Bruce
12%
Mitchell
6%

Total votes: 67

-TW-
Mal Meninga

Re: Civic still preferred stadium option for Canberra Raiders

Post by -TW- »

Just demolish Bruce, build better access roads and create a residential/business hub around it.

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Mitchell will still be in the middle of nowhere, with a tram running past, and well away from the centre of population in Canberra.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

-TW- wrote: February 7, 2020, 11:08 am Just demolish Bruce, build better access roads and create a residential/business hub around it.

That is certainly a better option than Mitchell. You have to wonder whether the ACT Government is favouring the north... as that is the basis of their support.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

greeneyed wrote: February 7, 2020, 11:48 am
-TW- wrote: February 7, 2020, 11:08 am Just demolish Bruce, build better access roads and create a residential/business hub around it.

That is certainly a better option than Mitchell. You have to wonder whether the ACT Government is favouring the north... as that is the basis of their support.
The reason is to focus all the money in 1 place. They want to upgrade Epic too.
Its a good financial reason, even if its poor for most of the rest of the reasons.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Matt wrote:

Its a good financial reason, even if its poor for most of the rest of the reasons.
Can you explain “The reason is to focus all the money in 1 place.”???
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

BJ wrote: February 7, 2020, 12:51 pm
Matt wrote:

Can you explain “The reason is to focus all the money in 1 place.”???
They want to upgrade the facilities out there at epic. Right now its and event location for fairs, markets etc, and they are being run out of animal sheds that have seen better days.
If you focus the upgrade into 1 place, you:
1. are digging holes in 1 places
2. arent disrupting multiple places - roads, business, etc
3. upgrade services in 1 place (electricity, water, sewer, etc)

They also have good access to the area via the 3 highways Monaro/ Majura, Barton and Federal for travellers.

They have already poured money into the area with the tram. So this would complete the upgrade of the area as a whole, and provide a versatile space for main events, creating an 'event hub'.

I dont like it, but I can see the reason.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Mitchell is a complete disaster area as a bottleneck when there's any event there. Crazy to build it there.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Surely there's enough room with a bit of creativity if needed in the Civic Pool precinct - we're only talking a 30k stadium tops here, with what I'm guessing is limited surface parking. And if it's a bit too tight, how much could chewing into that big ass median strip on Parkes Way to build a new lane/s possibly cost?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

afgtnk wrote: February 7, 2020, 3:36 pm Surely there's enough room with a bit of creativity if needed in the Civic Pool precinct - we're only talking a 30k stadium tops here, with what I'm guessing is limited surface parking. And if it's a bit too tight, how much could chewing into that big ass median strip on Parkes Way to build a new lane/s possibly cost?
The issue is it is too small, particularly if the stadium is to be properly aligned with the sidelines east-west. The original idea was to have no seats at one end... that's how small the site is... It will certainly need Parkes Way to be re-aligned (preferably put underground, but this looks to be a "cheapie" stadium development in the government's mind, and that'll probably be too expensive). It also preferably would have a retractable roof... but again that'll probably be too expensive.
Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

I haven't looked at growth statistics recently, but isn't the North (Gungahlin in particular) growing rapidly, and the South relatively stable or shrinking?

Now, I'm not in favour of the EPIC option - Civic makes much more sense - but taking North vs. South tribalism out of the equation and looking at logically... if you're a city planner with the choice of far North or far South, surely you take the growth area?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Sterlk wrote: February 7, 2020, 5:59 pm

I haven't looked at growth statistics recently, but isn't the North (Gungahlin in particular) growing rapidly, and the South relatively stable or shrinking?

Now, I'm not in favour of the EPIC option - Civic makes much more sense - but taking North vs. South tribalism out of the equation and looking at logically... if you're a city planner with the choice of far North or far South, surely you take the growth area?
This was the latest I could find quickly (from 2016)... it had been moving north at 160 metres per annum, so it might be half a kilometre further north... but I'd say Civic is a fair representation of the centre. Remember that there is now also Molonglo. The centre of population is certainly not in Mitchell, and, being in the north east corner of the ACT, I doubt it ever will be. It is only a few minutes drive to the border.

"The centre of population in the ACT at June 2016 was located on the banks of Lake Burley Griffin, in the suburb of Yarralumla. In the ten years to 2016, the centre of population moved approximately 1.5 kilometres north. This reflects population growth in the northern suburbs of Canberra."

https://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/abs@.ns ... num=&view=
Begbie
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Post by Begbie »

Approx 500m north since 2016 means the rightful centre of Canberra is the quiet back streets of Reid.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

The population shift to the north is based on political investment decisions not due to geospatial reasons.

New suburbs coming are even crossing over the northern border into NSW.

Tuggeranong west of the Hyperdome was the approved and planned area for growth. That’s why the Hyperdome sits where it is, weirdly on the edge of Tuggeranong.

Even Labor politicians have publicly stated that ACT elections are won in the north and that’s where the ACT Government focus their investment decisions.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Hopefully, wherever they put the stadium, it can fit the 7 thousand people that attended the Brumbies game last night.

Those appalling crowds don't help the cause.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: A new Canberra Stadium?

Post by greeneyed »

New $2 million Canberra Stadium video screen to debut for Canberra Raiders Round 1 home clash with Gold Coast Titans

Canberra Stadium officials are putting the finishing touches on a $2 million video screen at the southern end of the field - which is double the size of the existing screen. The final parts of the new screen arrived two weeks ago and have just been put in place... but testing and technical work will mean it will not make its debut until the Raiders 2020 season opener.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14240

What the new screen looks like: https://twitter.com/TheGHRaiders/status ... 4981918723
Elcaptcroker
David Grant
Favourite Player: Jarrod croker

Post by Elcaptcroker »

Build it in civic, on the pool site and put a 3 story carpark underneath it, that can be used during the day at a reasonable cost

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

They'll be crazy of they don't locate it centrally, in the city. It's a once in a lifetime opportunity to do so.

Building it elsewhere and hoping that restaurants and bars will establish themselves around it is a bit fanciful.
yurithe1
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by yurithe1 »

New Canberra Stadium won't be fast-tracked: Andrew Barr

Chief Minister Andrew Barr says it would be "fiscally irresponsible" to fast-tracking large projects like a new Canberra Stadium, following business calls for major infrastructure plans to be brought forward.

"In times of such uncertainty globally, it would be fiscally irresponsible to start committing significant additional capital investments without prior analysis," Andrew Barr said. "Infrastructure projects, both big and small, must be delivered in a well-planned and cost-effective way."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14225

So, Barr has killed off any hope of the Canberra Stadium project being fast tracked. The hospital, which wins votes, and Stage 2 of the glorified tramline, which might appease south Canberra voters get priority instead. Labor is not getting my vote or my preferences this time.
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

He is correct, given what we have just been through, its probably irresponsible to spend on a stadium, esp if no one can attend to fill it. HOWEVER... this has been on the agenda for soooooo long and keeps getting pushed back. At some point you just have to bite the bullet. Also, this kind of large infrastructure project should bring jobs.

BTW, I too would spend money on the hospital before the stadium, BUT, stadium before Thomas thanks.
yurithe1
David Furner

Post by yurithe1 »

Matt wrote: May 6, 2020, 2:55 pm He is correct, given what we have just been through, its probably irresponsible to spend on a stadium, esp if no one can attend to fill it. HOWEVER... this has been on the agenda for soooooo long and keeps getting pushed back. At some point you just have to bite the bullet. Also, this kind of large infrastructure project should bring jobs.

BTW, I too would spend money on the hospital before the stadium, BUT, stadium before Thomas thanks.
By the time the stadium is completed, social distancing restrictions would be a thing of the past. Look at how long the new stadium in Sydney is going to take to complete.

Plus, they would have the opportunity to incorporate disinfection stations and or entries into the design.

This would also solve the question of how to employ construction workers without losing any more green land to developers, while keeping Labor's union mates happy.

Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

yurithe1 wrote: May 6, 2020, 3:21 pm
Matt wrote: May 6, 2020, 2:55 pm He is correct, given what we have just been through, its probably irresponsible to spend on a stadium, esp if no one can attend to fill it. HOWEVER... this has been on the agenda for soooooo long and keeps getting pushed back. At some point you just have to bite the bullet. Also, this kind of large infrastructure project should bring jobs.

By the time the stadium is completed, social distancing restrictions would be a thing of the past. Look at how long the new stadium in Sydney is going to take to complete.

Plus, they would have the opportunity to incorporate disinfection stations and or entries into the design.

This would also solve the question of how to employ construction workers without losing any more green land to developers, while keeping Labor's union mates happy.
Covid will hopefully be over before they finish designing it, let alone building it. It will take at least a year to design and get approvals etc. Then anywhere between a year and 3 to build.

I know they are trialing some Covid vaccines (there are a few around the world ATM), but, in the worst case, and they fail, who knows how long this will be around?!?!
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

What happened to Raidersfan who argued with me that Andrew Barr was very committed to building a new stadium?
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

It must be almost 10 years since that rejuvenation of civic project started. Weren't we meant to have a civic stadium by 2020 as part of that project?

Now they'll probably conduct another feasibility study in about 5 years, costing taxpayers another quarter mill and then plonk a stadium at Natex. If at all.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
yurithe1
David Furner

Post by yurithe1 »

They're pretty much committed to upgrading Canberra Theatre and I read yesterday will include new toilet facilities. Hopefully they'll include some sort of disinfection stations now that we know that this sort of thing can happen. You know, not that SARS wasn't a wake up call.

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Post corona economic stimulus?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

This is the kind of thing that can help stave off a recession if done properly.

I mean, we're going to have an enormous recession when this is all said and done, but projects like this which keep people working, keep cash in peoples pockets and keep money going into the economy can be used to get us out of it.

Barr just really doesn't want a new stadium, for whatever reason. Probably thinks that if we build a state-of-the-art rectangular stadium, that'll be the death-knell for any chance of an AFL side in Canberra (like that's ever going to happen anyway).
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders CEO Don Furner says a rethink is needed to deliver a new Canberra Stadium

Raiders CEO Don Furner believes the whole concept for a new Canberra Stadium and the way it can be funded needs a rethink. He says it's time to consider a facility like Western Sydney Stadium, with no roof.

“At the end of the day, it’s what could be afforded. We can have heated seats and heated cement and it might only need to be activated three to four games a year. We don’t necessarily need a roof if all the seats are covered like Western Sydney, where all the spectators are covered.”

Read more: https://the-riotact.com/renewed-push-to ... nda/382625
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

At this point new is new
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Pretty sure an enclosed stadium (like bankwest) without a roof would be warmer than the one we have anyway

The issues with the current stadium is the bowl is about 2m below the typical ground level, and it's open so wind just goes straight through

raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

I'd definitely be happy with a Bankwest copy here.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Imagine how good that could be.. to play games in Canberra that is
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I'd be happy with a stadium like Western Sydney Stadium... provided the roof line covered all the fans... and the actual fans could sit on the western side.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Virtually every seat in every Premier League stadium and many other European leagues, has every seat under the roofline.

I am not totally convinced we need a roof for rugby league but I am also not sure how much extra it would cost. A roof makes the stadium more viable for more events than just sport.

A big part of the original idea for this stadium is it would also have the convention centre attached. If you look at something like the stadium in Dunedin, there is at least one end where the seats come out. Presumably that could be reconfigured to be a basketball stadium or the like under the same roof.
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

So Australia has won the rights to the 2023 Womens Football World Cup.

I can't help but notice, Canberra missed the cut whilst Newcastle and Launceston got the nod. I wonder if the stadium had anything to do with it?

I throw my mind back to the 2003 Rugby World Cup - Newcastle missed the cut because of the (then) dire state of Marathon Stadium, and that was the kick up the backside the city and state needed to actually fix that place up to its current very good standards.

Could this be a similar kick for the ACT?
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I dont think the Womens Football World Cup will move the needle much if it all for sports infrastructure.
I hope im wrong but i cant see the ACT GOV being motivated to rectify the stadium based on this.