Raiders player signing speculation 2020

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2020

Post by Seiffert82 »

-PJ- wrote: February 5, 2020, 6:09 am The Wangi Warriors were considering throwing Dugan a lifeline..

But they to have a no ####head policy..
Was bound to catch up with him eventually...
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Id be seriously looking at what is going on with Rapa in Japan.

He doesn't appear to have made a game day squad (their internet info is appalling) and the team hasn't even updated their squad page to include a photo of him. Doesn't look like a great move?

He hasn't posted on insta since a trial game in December - he could be looking to come home.

The NRL initially stated they would not accept him back, but with there have been any number of players welcomed back after failed attempts at NFL etc - I cant see how they could treat this differently. Homesickness seems to be a line trotted out regularly too.

We did kind of jump the gun talking about it so openly last year, but I think the NRLs objection was based on the trip actually working and rorting the system. If we go back and say, he's homesick, and he isn't even getting game time, it could be written off as a failed experiment, and all of a sudden we have soem depth.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Hayne and Holmes came back on big money. If Rapana comes back on appropriate money it'd be allowed. Everything else is just window dressing.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Japanese rugby correspondent TR said he is out injured a week or two ago

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

He's not on any injured lists now. Look, he's playing behind the Japanese national team's two wingers. Those guys are good enough to push Damian De Allende, a South African international, into the centres. I'd say that an even fully fit Rapana is at best 4th and arguably 5th choice for a wing role.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

You need to be a good kicker to be a complete rugby winger, could be Rapana isn't quite as reliable on the boot and would quite likely not have the pace of those two either, these days.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

So why did this union team sign Rapa?
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

greeneyed wrote: February 6, 2020, 1:12 pm So why did this union team sign Rapa?
Backup, I guess.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

greeneyed wrote: February 6, 2020, 1:12 pm So why did this union team sign Rapa?
make some money before returning here in June... well, NRL quashed that
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Matt wrote: February 7, 2020, 12:28 pm
This was the point I was making before he departed. The NRL should be suspicious about these arrangements, but they need to also treat all clubs equally.

Players should not have the option to sit on the bench in some other competition for a couple of months, earning good money, only to come back to the NRL on some ridiculously low-ball salary. It's way too open for rorting.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Seiffert82 wrote: February 7, 2020, 3:50 pm
This was the point I was making before he departed. The NRL should be suspicious about these arrangements, but they need to also treat all clubs equally.

Players should not have the option to sit on the bench in some other competition for a couple of months, earning good money, only to come back to the NRL on some ridiculously low-ball salary. It's way too open for rorting.
I agree, but that’s assuming it’s a ridiculously low ball salary.

By that same token, players should not be able to walk out on a decent contract to ‘trial’ with NFL teams, only to realise it might take a couple of years to actually break into squads, simply to return to the nrl and a significantly higher salaried job. Same same. But he is a superstar, so I guess that’s ok.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I understand Rapana's motivation... to earn more cash than was on offer in rugby league... and in a sporting competition that is nowhere near as tough. My question was, however... why did the union team sign him on big bucks if they're not going to play him? (If he's injured, it is more understandable.)
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Coastalraider wrote: February 7, 2020, 4:11 pm

By that same token, players should not be able to walk out on a decent contract to ‘trial’ with NFL teams, only to realise it might take a couple of years to actually break into squads, simply to return to the nrl and a significantly higher salaried job. Same same. But he is a superstar, so I guess that’s ok.
For me, it's ultimately about how much they are paid when the return to the NRL. If a club releases a player to trial with another comp, then it's between them and the player involved. I just don't think it's reasonable for proven, quality players to return to the NRL for half a season on a $50-100k contract, just because they have earned big dollars in another competition. It's way too open to manipulation by savvy clubs and dodgy agents.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Seiffert82 wrote: February 7, 2020, 4:31 pm

For me, it's ultimately about how much they are paid when the return to the NRL. If a club releases a player to trial with another comp, then it's between them and the player involved. I just don't think it's reasonable for proven, quality players to return to the NRL for half a season on a $50-100k contract, just because they have earned big dollars in another competition. It's way too open to manipulation by savvy clubs and dodgy agents.
I agree Seif, but the NRL said no before salary was mentioned. Let’s say we couldn’t afford Rapa on $400k because we did t have cap space. If he goes to japan from November to February, he would be paid by another party. If he returned and the remainer of the year was paid 300k with us, he is on market value, and it may squeeze under the cap. It’s a loop hole, sure. But it isn’t unfair. We would just be paying market rate for 9 months, not 12.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

IMO if Rapana wanted to he could take the NRL to court and win in a canter. Especially if has sat on the sideline for a year in Japan and can argue he has no other options.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Coastalraider wrote: February 7, 2020, 4:39 pm
Seiffert82 wrote: February 7, 2020, 4:31 pm

I agree Seif, but the NRL said no before salary was mentioned. Let’s say we couldn’t afford Rapa on $400k because we did t have cap space. If he goes to japan from November to February, he would be paid by another party. If he returned and the remainer of the year was paid 300k with us, he is on market value, and it may squeeze under the cap. It’s a loop hole, sure. But it isn’t unfair. We would just be paying market rate for 9 months, not 12.
Yeah, I reckon that sort of arrangement is totally legit.

The NRL coming out and preempting some sort of dodgy deal was pretty ordinary on their part and totally contrary to other similar situations.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

greeneyed wrote:

I understand Rapana's motivation... to earn more cash than was on offer in rugby league... and in a sporting competition that is nowhere near as tough. My question was, however... why did the union team sign him on big bucks if they're not going to play him? (If he's injured, it is more understandable.)
It's literally owned by Panasonic, money wouldn't be an issue

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

Badandmean
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Mal

Post by Badandmean »

Yep, I believe it was Addo Carr

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Johno
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Johno »

Hayne....tries NFL, fails comes back

Holmes, tries NFL, fails comes back

Rapana, tries Jap rugby, doesnt work out/fails....cant come back
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Yep current circumstances I’d be sounding him out. The NRL can gagf they deadset don’t have a leg to stand on with this.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
sprintman
Brett Mullins

Post by sprintman »

Johno wrote: February 7, 2020, 7:50 pm Hayne....tries NFL, fails comes back

Holmes, tries NFL, fails comes back

Rapana, tries Jap rugby, doesnt work out/fails....cant come back
Hayne didn’t fail. The new mob were keen for him to stay, but he made other plans
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

sprintman wrote: February 7, 2020, 9:14 pm Hayne didn’t fail. The new mob were keen for him to stay, but he made other plans
Yeah... nah.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Post by Northern Raider »

Botman wrote: February 12, 2020, 9:21 am
sprintman wrote: February 7, 2020, 9:14 pm Hayne didn’t fail. The new mob were keen for him to stay, but he made other plans
Yeah... nah.
Other plans = Fijian 7s team. :lol:

Hayne got tapped in the shoulder by the 49ers and he was given the opportunity to bow out as gracefully as he could.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Northern Raider wrote: February 17, 2020, 10:45 am
Botman wrote: February 12, 2020, 9:21 am
Yeah... nah.
Other plans = Fijian 7s team. :lol:

Hayne got tapped in the shoulder by the 49ers and he was given the opportunity to bow out as gracefully as he could.
I feel like some accusations aimed at him in March 2016 might have had some bearing on him quitting in May of 2016.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Don’t worry sprintman. Some people in the world still know sarcasm when they see it.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Hmmm, read it again as sarcasm and it still missed the mark.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Wouldn't be surprised if the 30th squad spot was left open for Rapana. If a fit Cotric goes for $500k for a whole season, they could easily register Rapa for $200-250k without question from the NRL.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Northern Raider wrote:Hmmm, read it again as sarcasm and it still missed the mark.
Then either you don’t remember the commentary out of the Hayne camp at the time, or you just don’t get sarcasm in general.
sprintman
Brett Mullins

Post by sprintman »

gangrenous wrote: February 17, 2020, 4:08 pm Don’t worry sprintman. Some people in the world still know sarcasm when they see it.
Your writing skills need a lot of work. Off you go...
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Well looks like I owe NR an apology.

Baffling...
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

T_R wrote: February 6, 2020, 1:20 pm
Backup, I guess.
He should be well rested for his return
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

gangrenous wrote: February 17, 2020, 8:46 pm Well looks like I owe NR an apology.

Baffling...
hahah YIKES!
I wasnt seeing what you were but it had me worried about a horrific dubby... but YIKES, Gangers! :lol: :lol:
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

gangrenous wrote: February 17, 2020, 8:46 pm Well looks like I owe NR an apology.

Baffling...
:lol: It's haiku material surely.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Raiders player signing speculation 2020

Post by gangrenous »

I’m not too distressed. It’s like when someone says “Morrison handled the bushfires well”, and you’re like “yeah good one”. Then they look at you funny and turns out they’re serious.

You’ve just got to back away at this point I guess and marvel at the human brain...

But I’ll get back to you with a haiku zim
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Botman wrote: February 17, 2020, 8:56 pm

Baffling...
hahah YIKES!
I wasnt seeing what you were but it had me worried about a horrific dubby... but YIKES, Gangers! :lol: :lol:
Now I'm confused :(