From cricket to motor sports to wrestling and anything in between

Moderator: GH Moderators

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: NFL Thread

Post by Northern Raider »

Botman wrote: February 4, 2020, 11:00 am
the bone wrote: February 4, 2020, 4:04 am Really enjoyed that super bowl. Happy for Reid, Mahomes and Chief Kingdom.

I don’t think Shanahan’s clock management was as bad as some are making out. Not calling the timeout before half time was pretty weird but I can somewhat see the strategy... they were trying to shorten the game and limit the number of times mahomes had the ball in his hands.
I didnt have a problem with that in a vacuum, because 59 seconds with the ball in hand and 3 time outs is an absolute age in the NFL, and keeping the three time outs means the middle of the field is wide open for you.

The problem was, they didnt want to score, they really didnt try to score. They didnt use that time at all really, they were content going in 10-10, and that's just now how you win SB's
You've got to ready to cut their throats... the aim there, given they were getting the football in the 2nd half was to take the ball with a 1 minute to go, and the next time Patty Mahomes touches the ball in the 2nd half, he's down 10 at least, if not 14.

The middle 8 minutes of the game are now days the most important... teams now plan around the idea of going bang-bang on back to back possessions and opening huge leads. Shanny blew it imo
Before half time the text book says to call a time out as soon as the opposition hit 4th down. That said I fully agree that saving the time out for when you have the ball is also a solid option. What I found curious was the play calls on those first 2 downs. Looked like they just wanted to run the clock down. Changed their mind on 3rd down and had a shot down field. The strategy as a whole was contradictory.

What baffled me most was the decision to pass on 2nd down twice in the 4th quarter when the team was ahead. Really had to got the percentage plays there, particularly given how well they were moving the ball on the ground. Got too smart for their own good and it backfired.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

The thing is NR, they were moving the ball nicely with play action as well. Jimmy G was 18/21 for 200+ yards at one point. Chris Jones made a nice play to bat down the pass on that 2nd 5... if not for that the 9ers would've had another cheap completion. In other words, I see that as a good defensive play as opposed to a bad play call
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

the bone wrote: February 4, 2020, 12:47 pm The thing is NR, they were moving the ball nicely with play action as well. Jimmy G was 18/21 for 200+ yards at one point. Chris Jones made a nice play to bat down the pass on that 2nd 5... if not for that the 9ers would've had another cheap completion. In other words, I see that as a good defensive play as opposed to a bad play call
There can always be justification for it. IMO in that situation discretion was the better part of valor. They were in front at the sharp pointy end of the entire season. KC was the team under pressure to make things happen. Running game was working extremely well and at 2nd and 4 or 5 even a 2 yard gain would have kept pressure on the defense in 3rd down.

Thing is they tried it once and credit for having a crack. Doing it the 2nd times was the big error.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

....anyway now we've got these stupid games out of the way we can concentrate on the serious part of the NFL - tagging, free agency, combine and draft. :D
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Northern Raider wrote: February 4, 2020, 1:00 pm ....anyway now we've got these stupid games out of the way we can concentrate on the serious part of the NFL - tagging, free agency, combine and draft. :D
Can't wait. I just had a look at my profile - almost 20% of my posts on TheGH have been in this NFL thread :thumbsup
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

the bone wrote: February 4, 2020, 1:11 pm
Northern Raider wrote: February 4, 2020, 1:00 pm ....anyway now we've got these stupid games out of the way we can concentrate on the serious part of the NFL - tagging, free agency, combine and draft. :D
Can't wait. I just had a look at my profile - almost 20% of my posts on TheGH have been in this NFL thread :thumbsup
:thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

the bone wrote: February 4, 2020, 1:11 pm
What % of those are speculation and conjecture during the off season? I reckon mine are around 80%. :lol:
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: February 4, 2020, 12:38 pm
Botman wrote: February 4, 2020, 11:00 am
the bone wrote: February 4, 2020, 4:04 am Really enjoyed that super bowl. Happy for Reid, Mahomes and Chief Kingdom.

I don’t think Shanahan’s clock management was as bad as some are making out. Not calling the timeout before half time was pretty weird but I can somewhat see the strategy... they were trying to shorten the game and limit the number of times mahomes had the ball in his hands.
I didnt have a problem with that in a vacuum, because 59 seconds with the ball in hand and 3 time outs is an absolute age in the NFL, and keeping the three time outs means the middle of the field is wide open for you.

The problem was, they didnt want to score, they really didnt try to score. They didnt use that time at all really, they were content going in 10-10, and that's just now how you win SB's
You've got to ready to cut their throats... the aim there, given they were getting the football in the 2nd half was to take the ball with a 1 minute to go, and the next time Patty Mahomes touches the ball in the 2nd half, he's down 10 at least, if not 14.

The middle 8 minutes of the game are now days the most important... teams now plan around the idea of going bang-bang on back to back possessions and opening huge leads. Shanny blew it imo
Before half time the text book says to call a time out as soon as the opposition hit 4th down. That said I fully agree that saving the time out for when you have the ball is also a solid option. What I found curious was the play calls on those first 2 downs. Looked like they just wanted to run the clock down. Changed their mind on 3rd down and had a shot down field. The strategy as a whole was contradictory.

What baffled me most was the decision to pass on 2nd down twice in the 4th quarter when the team was ahead. Really had to got the percentage plays there, particularly given how well they were moving the ball on the ground. Got too smart for their own good and it backfired.
Yeah i think it's six one way, half a dozen the other in terms of using the TO when they were punting. I cant fault someone who says use it, get the ball back with 90 seconds and 2 time outs, but i also think 58 seconds and 3 time outs on offence and opening up the middle of the field is perfectly reasonably

as you said, the problem was what they did with the ball, they absolutely wanted to run the clock out and had no interest in really trying to score points, which is absolutely baffling.
the bone wrote: February 4, 2020, 12:47 pm The thing is NR, they were moving the ball nicely with play action as well. Jimmy G was 18/21 for 200+ yards at one point. Chris Jones made a nice play to bat down the pass on that 2nd 5... if not for that the 9ers would've had another cheap completion. In other words, I see that as a good defensive play as opposed to a bad play call
I also agree with this, on one of those 2nd and 5s, they had Terrell Suggs covering George Kittle, and Kittle beat him like a god damn drum, as you'd expect, that's a pitch and catch first down. Just a great play by Chris Jones to bat it down at the line.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

the real season begins :lol:
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

We've had the early mock drafts. Now we get to see the pre-combine mocks, post-combine mocks, post-free agency mocks then final mocks based on the rumour mill.

I actually like those early ones when evaluating players. Its purely based on how they play football and isn't tainted by the over-analysis that takes place from now on.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Yeah a lot of white noise between now and draft day, always vital to remember that you use the numbers that'll come from the combine and pro days to validate what you saw on film

Take WR's... If a man runs a 4.3 but couldnt seperate deep or get off press, it doesnt matter. If a guy gets seperation but runs a 4.5, who cares? The league is LITTERED with guys who didnt run a great 40 time who just get open. Michael Thomas ran a 4.57, so did Dre Hopkins, Adams ran a 4.56. None of them have problems getting open. They're technicans

Meanwhile John Ross is a gadget player, Heyward-Bey is one of the games biggest busts. If you want to draft speed guys, they better be able to beat press, seperate down the feild and track the ball in the air. Tyreek and Djax are those dudes but not everyone is them.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Yep, track speed means very little. Game speed is what counts.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Same with RBs.
You cant go the distance if you cant find the hole.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Yeah maybe even more so with RBs. Breakaway speed is useless if you can't find a hole. That said I don't think 40 times have that big an impact on draft stock these days for RBs.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Cowboys is actually an interesting situation this yr. We have 21 unrestricted free agents.
Anthony Brown - CB
Darian Thompson - S
Kerry Hyder - DE >>> already got a 1yr deal
Christian Covington - DL
Justin March - LB - really a SP guys
Tavon Austin - WR
C.J Goodwin - CB
GOAT Jason Witten - TE
Jeff Heath - S
Kavon Frazier - S
Joe Looney - OL/ C
L.P Ladouceur - Long Snapper
Sean Lee - LB
Joe Thomas - LB
Michael Bennett - DT
Randall Cobb - WR
Maliek Collins - DT (3-tech)
Robert Quinn - DE
Byron Jones - CB/ S
Amari Cooper - WR
Dak Prescott - QB

(Randy Gregory is suspended long term too. If the league changes its stance on Marijuana, add him to this list)

Cowboys DB's have sucked for yrs and yrs, and is their greatest need.
DL is an issue too. Lawrence needs more help up front - Quinn and Bennett certainly helped, but as a unit couldnt get it done.
TE is back on our needs list too.
WR might be on that list too.

I cant see Dak and Amari not coming back next yr. Be that via tags or whatever.
LP will be back, and continue to be the longest contracted Cowboy in history.
Both Cobb and Thomas played under Mike McCarthy at GB. I can see both those guys being brought back. At this point, WR is not a need, but with a really deep WR class there could be some interesting options still available in the 3rd and 4th (Mims is the guy some of the Cowboys journo's like as a potential 3rd).

Id like to see at least 2 of Jones, Quinn, Lee or Bennett back next yr. That is my order of preference too. Cap is going to be an issue, I know, but we cant lose one of the 2, maybe 3, DBs who are actually NFL standard, even if the coaching staff want ball hawks (the comments made suggest he is gone).

I want the GOAT to retire again, as Id argue that Jarwin and Schultz is enough at TE, BUT, could totally get on board with an Ingram free agent trade should it come up.

I suspect a few of those other guys to be re-signed as depth or SP players.

I think they should be drafting defense 1st 3 rounds. Probably 2 DBs and a DL.

The scenarios I like are:
#1 Grant Delpit - S LSU @17, Jordan Elliott DT - Mizzou @51, Denzel Mims - WR Baylor @81
#2 Javon Kinlaw - DT Sth Carolina @17, Ashtyn Davis - S Cal @51/ AJ Terrell - CB Clemson @51, Troy Pride Jr - CB - Notre Dame @81 (51 is an either or, because Jones gives you the flexibility at CB or S)

Thoughts?

I also wanna get a gauge on your opinions of Byron Jones. At the combine he proved to be the most athletic players they had ever seen, so he flew up draft boards and I was super impressed to get him at the time. However, he has 2 INTs in his career. There is an argument/ theory that this was scheme based, in that Cowboys knew their DBs sucked, so bend but dont break over rides 'get a takeaway' - think think its a long bow, but certainly holds a little water. However, his numbers as far as defending passes are pretty damn good - again, that could be because the #2 sucked and was picked on, A LOT! Anyway... what is he worth on the open market? Who could pay him?

My thoughts are, we have 2, maybe 3 (Jones, Xavier Woods - S, Jordan Lewis - slot CB) DBs. Heath is a special teams guy who was forced to start as we sucked at S. Id cut Brown, Thompson, Goodwin and Frazier. Id like to cut/ trade Awuzie, who for all the athletic ability, cant play CB. As I have no idea what his actual contract status is, at best he is your 3rd/ 4th CB. Back to my thoughts, you keep Jones but he needs help. So, you either draft a top CB to be your #2 (by all the comments, Cowboys want a ball hawk), and for the QB has to make a decision about where to go - locked down or INT threat. OR, a ball hawking saftey to give assistance to the #2 over the top you are cleaning up a failed position.

Both Lewis and Woods have shown an ability to catch, so slot CB and 1 of the safety spots look is decent hands.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Eric Weddle is hanging them up
PrimetimeRaider
Jason Croker

Post by PrimetimeRaider »

Finally Rivers is gone!
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

PrimetimeRaider wrote: February 11, 2020, 10:41 am Finally Rivers is gone!
Rivers always go out to sea...
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

It was only a matter of time before it became official.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Josh Norman released by Skins.
What a fall from grace. Gone from best CB in the league, to released by cellar dweller.

That said, I'd take him at Cows for the right price
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Norman was never a top corner in the league
In Carolina he was a zone corner, which is why they didnt pay him, very rarely went press man and when he did he got beat like a drum, that trend continued in Washington.
He was a good NFL level corner in the right scheme and pretty bad out of the scheme, they're right to move on from him and frankly should have done so 1-2 years ago

Nothing would please me more to see him land in Dallas... dont care if he's on the league minimum, if he's in that starting line up, id love that.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Russell Wilson will no have old reliable Greg Olsen to throw to. Definitely past his prime, but should give Rus a dump down reciever.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

NFLPA and NFL appear to be well on it's way to a new CBA being established and having no labor stoppages for at least the next 12 years
Will include a 17 game schedule, expanded play offs and only 3 pre season games...

Owners have approved it, it goes to the player reps and if they pass it on a 2/3 majority, it goes to all players for a simple majority.

But the details leaked out about this deal are horrific for the players... what they are getting for the extra games is not NEARLY enough.
I think it's going to pass but if i were a player, i'd be ringing everyone i know and getting them to vote against it, it's a disaster
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: February 21, 2020, 8:26 am NFLPA and NFL appear to be well on it's way to a new CBA being established and having no labor stoppages for at least the next 12 years
Will include a 17 game schedule, expanded play offs and only 3 pre season games...

Owners have approved it, it goes to the player reps and if they pass it on a 2/3 majority, it goes to all players for a simple majority.

But the details leaked out about this deal are horrific for the players... what they are getting for the extra games is not NEARLY enough.
I think it's going to pass but if i were a player, i'd be ringing everyone i know and getting them to vote against it, it's a disaster
what are they getting? or rather not getting?
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Matt wrote: February 21, 2020, 8:36 am
Botman wrote: February 21, 2020, 8:26 am NFLPA and NFL appear to be well on it's way to a new CBA being established and having no labor stoppages for at least the next 12 years

what are they getting? or rather not getting?
So the keys to the deal appear to be the move to a 17 game schedule, remove 1 pre season game, and expand playoffs to 14 teams (only 1 team per Conference)

So that's an extra game for all players, an extra game for the teams who make the play off from 7th spot, and one less pre season game which is the game none of these guys play anyways (4th pre season game is basically just everyone who is getting cut the next day)

For that, the players are getting an increase in total revenue from 47% to 48.5%
Let's address that first, most of the players are not going to see this money, the changes in the new CBA have strengthened the minimum spend for teams a little bit but not much. The minimum wage will go up slightly, but again not much... this money is going to go to QB's first and foremost, 40-45mil per year for the top Qbs is going to be the norm, and maybe 2-3 other studs on the roster will get a bump... so for say Dallas, the increase in revenue that ultimately comes via the salary will end up meaning Dak gets paid a ton of money, and probably LVE, Amari and Zeke get top of the line money... no one is going to sniff that.
So all that revenue increase does it make sure the rich are going to get richer, and the back end of roster guys are largely going to be forgotten still, which is 90% of the league

Worth noting the NBA have 50% revenue sharing. The MLB has no cap and their player salaries fluctuate between 54-58% of total revenue. That's now, in 2020. This deal will take the NFL through to 2032 and at that point, 12 years from now, they will STILL not have parity on revenue.

They're not getting gtd deals, like the NBA, MLB and NHL have. The contract structures will be still be in place. They aren't getting rid of franchise tag or transition tags, which exist purely to neuter the market and restrict top line talent from hitting free agency and resetting the markets, so the owners can maintain salary control.

There is no one and done in College football, players have to go through 3 years before hitting the draft, so you're not making a dime until 22-23. Where as really good basketball players are out at 19-20. MLB get draft and into the minors as 18 year olds.

So now an NFL player hits the league at 22, and if he's not a QB, then he's got about 10 years to make money until 32... if you're a high pedigree guy and first round pick, it's 4 years plus the 5th year option... then the franchise tag, and then they might franchise you again... teams have total control of the player for 7 years of their at best 10 years.

So what do players do? They sign team friendly deals that pay them less than they deserve because there is no avenue for them to hit FA if they're that good. And the deals arent even guaranteed!

Nigel Bradham signed a 5 year 40m dollar deal in 2018. 2 years ago, the eagles released him yesterday... of that 40m deal he signed, he actually only got 10 of it and now the eagles can walk away without owing him a cent.

And the small schedule they play scrabbles half of their brains into CTE submission. CTE is not a problem is baseball and NBA, its your normal wear and tear of a pro athlete. It's not reducing you to a dribbling mess and heightening your risks of mental illness

In terms of how the money is to be dolled out, the players get game cheques. At the moment they get a prorated 16 game cheques based on salary. The structure proposed would keep that in place and for the 17th game, it would be paid out like the post season is, with a single capped cheque for 250k. Absurd.
The extra game will likely be a mandatory game in London/Mexico/Germany/where ever for each team, and include a 2nd bye, which will mean 18 week regular season.

So that's the money side... that's what they're getting for the extra game. And at least to my mind, it's pretty clear to me that they arent getting close to what they should for the added risk

The NFL are great though because they're sweetening the pot, because they're going to revise their drug policy and probably stop testing and suspending for pot This is not an economical incentive and given the way legislation has changed around the states with many of them decriminalising and even legalising pot, the NFL was going to relent on this anyways. Why are the players making any concessions to have this?

The players will get lightened training and camp schedules... again, not an economical incentive for the players. They dont have gruelling practise schedules now days anyways, that was dealt with in a huge way the last CBA. It's great for the owners because who doesnt want to work less? Which player wants more time on the training paddock? No one. But it's an easy concession that costs the owners nothing and gets them what they want.

The NFL needs to expand it's schedule and playoffs to continue to increase revenue. This current CBA wont expire for another 13 months. The NFL are desperately trying to push this through because it's a GREAT deal for them. The NFLPA needs to hold firm here, and push for 50/50 revenue split, a significant increase in minimum salary cap spending rules to ensure owners are sitting on hundreds of millions of dollars a year and increases to the minimum wage and PS players. Along with that, they should be pushing to have the rookie 5th year option be considered a type of franchise tag that escalates salaries the way the franchise tag does now on 2nd and 3rd years

and frankly whilst they'll never get rid of the franchise tag, they need to negotiate so that players arent allowed to be tagged more than once. That's what they should be getting for extra games
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan.
thats trash!
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Matt wrote: February 21, 2020, 9:29 am maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan.
thats trash!
What is trash? There's a ton of moving parts here and I'm not sure which you're referring to.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: February 21, 2020, 11:02 am
thats trash!
What is trash? There's a ton of moving parts here and I'm not sure which you're referring to.
The lot. Piggy makes great points across the board.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Darren Rovell had this to say on twitter:

I’ve been covering sports labor for 20 years. This deal the NFL owners are putting forth might be the worst deal with the exception of the deal the NHL players accepted in 2005 after a year off. There’s no way the NFLPA says yes to this.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Matt wrote: February 21, 2020, 11:32 am
Northern Raider wrote: February 21, 2020, 11:02 am
thats trash!
The lot. Piggy makes great points across the board.
So if everything is trash then how could it possibly happen?
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: February 21, 2020, 12:29 pm So if everything is trash then how could it possibly happen?
Because there is enough in there to entice the players.
Like it more pay, it's better benefits and it's less time in the facility and on the training paddock.
The performance escalators for draft picks is good

The NFL has covered an incredibly **** cake in some very pretty looking icing.
One of the things id be very careful about if im the NFLPA, is the "gambling definitions", gambling revenue is about to explode and if there is a loophole that allows the owners to say certain revenue doesnt met the definitions and is therefore exempt from AR calcs, it could be a disastrous deal that can be rectified for until 2032

The players are increasing their workload and risk by 6.25%, and for that i dont believe they're getting fair, or even sub par value for that. They're getting hosed. I hope they dont sign this deal
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Botman wrote: February 21, 2020, 1:07 pm
Northern Raider wrote: February 21, 2020, 12:29 pm So if everything is trash then how could it possibly happen?
Because there is enough in there to entice the players.
Like it more pay, it's better benefits and it's less time in the facility and on the training paddock.
The performance escalators for draft picks is good

The NFL has covered an incredibly **** cake in some very pretty looking icing.
One of the things id be very careful about if im the NFLPA, is the "gambling definitions", gambling revenue is about to explode and if there is a loophole that allows the owners to say certain revenue doesnt met the definitions and is therefore exempt from AR calcs, it could be a disastrous deal that can be rectified for until 2032

The players are increasing their workload and risk by 6.25%, and for that i dont believe they're getting fair, or even sub par value for that. They're getting hosed. I hope they dont sign this deal
So everything isn't trash. Its just lopsided.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Bottom line on the argument is that players need more financial compensation for the additional regular season game for everybody (plus 1 playoff for 2 lucky teams). Playing with the maths on the basic numbers, there is a 6.25% increase in game time as you pointed out. Players share of revenue is increasing from 47% to 48.5%. If the increased number of games is reflected by and equal increase in revenue (ticket sales, TV rights etc) then the players share is acutally increasing by 9.6% (i.e. 48.5% of 1.0625 x current revenue vs 47% of current revenue).

I'm not going to get into any debate about "gambling definitions" and possible loopholes. I'd need to see the ultra fine print (and possibly specialist legal advice) before before getting into that.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

If the so called expert says its the worst he has seen in 15yrs.
Piggy says its a **** cake.
Id argue that 'lopsidedness' is enough to be considered trash.
So, knowing very little about it, thats enough for me to stick with my original comment.