Wests Tigers sign Joey Leilua from Canberra Raiders

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

viking
Brett Mullins

Re: Wests Tigers sign Joey Leilua from Canberra Raiders

Post by viking »

Joey Leilua bluntly reveals fallout with Ricky Stuart led to Canberra Raiders exit, not Scott arrival

Joey Leilua thinks himself a better centre than Curtis Scott, but said his days in Canberra were always numbered because of his strained relationship with Ricky Stuart.

“I wasn't happy with him. I respect Ricky as a coach and what he has done for me, but I wasn't happy. Even when I came back for pre-season training, I was a bit overweight, I had just had my wedding, and he wasn't happy. They left me behind for that training camp for two weeks. That's when my mind was made up to search for another club.”

Read more: https://www.watoday.com.au/sport/nrl/le ... e=rss_feed
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

Lol he is going to completely destroy us first game he plays against us

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Old School Green
Dean Lance

Post by Old School Green »

You don’t have to be Einstein to figure this out! Good on beej for actually being honest about it and not playing the ‘treat the fans like idiots’ game.

That said he’s full of himself and accepts little responsibility. However, hard to argue about some of the comments he makes about being the most powerful centre in game.

I love Ricky’s passion but he clearly has favourites and I don’t think he is fair to some guys. Like I have said previously I think we have made the wrong call. If Joey fires up it will be an embarrassingly wrong call if it’s not already given the Scott situation
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
I was there. Go the Milk !!
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

edwahu wrote:No need for him to have a crack at Toots.
What did he say about Toots?

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
In Ricky We Trust
Old School Green
Dean Lance

Post by Old School Green »

Brew wrote: January 29, 2020, 8:34 pm

Nothing directly just said he was the best centre at the club and could have played either side or words to that effect
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
I was there. Go the Milk !!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

He said he was the best centre at the club on either side of the field, just wasn’t given the opportunity to prove it in the pre season.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=33874&start=245#p1715526

I agree, no need for it. You can see why he rubs a lot of people up the wrong way.
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

The New Zealand game was one of the best team performances of the year so it was understandable if stick didn't want to change that team
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

EJ wrote:Lol he is going to completely destroy us first game he plays against us

That is definitely a possibility but I remember thinking the same thing when we first played the Knights after he joined us. From memory the Knights did a decent job of containing him and BJ tried to overplay his hand a bit.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Wighton and Whitehead will be lining him up already.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Old School Green wrote: January 29, 2020, 8:33 pm You don’t have to be Einstein to figure this out! Good on beej for actually being honest about it and not playing the ‘treat the fans like idiots’ game.

That said he’s full of himself and accepts little responsibility. However, hard to argue about some of the comments he makes about being the most powerful centre in game.

I love Ricky’s passion but he clearly has favourites and I don’t think he is fair to some guys. Like I have said previously I think we have made the wrong call. If Joey fires up it will be an embarrassingly wrong call if it’s not already given the Scott situation
I think he's a bit full of himself based on his comments. Said he was left out of the side against Roosters and we lost. He played the next week and we won. Somebody should remind him that he got to play Roosters in the GF and we lost that too. Result may have been different had he passed the ball to his winger.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

EJ wrote: January 29, 2020, 8:32 pm Lol he is going to completely destroy us first game he plays against us

If he was to destroy us, we’d thoroughly deserve it.

He’s full of himself for good reason, he’s an absolute weapon who busted his **** for us every week and ended up with a serious neck injury for his troubles, which initially ruled him out for the season. But in typical fashion he worked hard and got back on the field and nearly helped take us all the way.

He knew he was the #1 centre and played accordingly.

Compare him to Latrell who barely broke a sweat last season, and that’s the sort of player who should cop criticism for being full of himself.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

It makes no difference if BJ was the best center, because he was also the most expensive.

He was priced out of staying long term last year and that's why the club allowed him to put himself on the market. Everything past that point is just BJ venting.
Pete Cash
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Pete Cash »

Of course he is "full of himself" because he's an excellent rugby league player. Why wouldn't be have confidence in his ability.

This is economics not who is better but the answer is Joey was the best centre at the club for the record
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

greeneyed wrote: January 29, 2020, 8:46 pm

He said he was the best centre at the club on either side of the field, just wasn’t given the opportunity to prove it in the pre season.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=33874&start=245#p1715526

I agree, no need for it. You can see why he rubs a lot of people up the wrong way.
Well he was the best centre at the club by a considerable margin tbh. Him realizing how good he is would be a big part of what makes him such a great player imo.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Tbf to Joey you'd be pretty hard pressed to make an argument that Croker is a better centre than him. I don't even know where you could start really, goal kicking?
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Well, I'm sure he'll be the best centre at the Tigers too.

Unfortunately the chemistry for a winning team isn't always based on pure talent alone. If he was starting to rub the coach the wrong way with his attitude...and he clearly came back from his break unfit... it's a sign he was more worried about himself than the team.

He's right. Once you piss Ricky Stuart off you're gone. His papers were stamped when his manager asked for an extension 18 months out, knowing he was already on a premium contract.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I got no issue with what he said
All centres at their absolute best, ive got him second behind Latrell... problem with guys like Latrell and Beej is the wide variance.
Beej found a little more consistency here with us but was still had those 5/10 games somewhat regularly... where as someone like say Joseph Manu, probably isnt going to give you many 9-10/10 games in his career. But he's going to be at 7-8 just about every damn week.

Every player should feel like their the best, that's how they got here. He didnt **** on Croker, he just said he felt he was the clubs best centre. Good he should feel that way. Scott should feel that way, Croker should feel that way, HSS should feel that way. You arent going to do **** as an athlete if you dont feel that way, because it doesnt matter how much others believe in you, if you dont believe in yourself you'll never reach the highest levels your capable of.
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

Old School Green wrote:

Nothing directly just said he was the best centre at the club and could have played either side or words to that effect
Oh yeah sorry. Though he actually mentioned his name and I was missing something.
I guess when you get Dally M Centre of the year twice you can brag.
Anyway I won’t into detail but the stories I’ve heard of him as a lazy trainer etc coming from players I’m very interested to see how he goes with Madge.
Ricky has chilled out these days but Madge made them train last year up until the GF.

In Ricky We Trust
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Just confirms for me it was the right decision to let him go.
Your all having a laugh if you think that Tigers edge will do anything apart from ship points in high volume when attempting to defend in unison.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Botman wrote: January 30, 2020, 7:43 am I got no issue with what he said
All centres at their absolute best, ive got him second behind Latrell... problem with guys like Latrell and Beej is the wide variance.
Beej found a little more consistency here with us but was still had those 5/10 games somewhat regularly... where as someone like say Joseph Manu, probably isnt going to give you many 9-10/10 games in his career. But he's going to be at 7-8 just about every damn week.

Every player should feel like their the best, that's how they got here. He didnt **** on Croker, he just said he felt he was the clubs best centre. Good he should feel that way. Scott should feel that way, Croker should feel that way, HSS should feel that way. You arent going to do **** as an athlete if you dont feel that way, because it doesnt matter how much others believe in you, if you dont believe in yourself you'll never reach the highest levels your capable of.
Rocks and Diamonds is exactly what BJ produced.
Manu and Croker are both better and far more professional centres.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

it was far more diamonds than rocks though, and that cant be disputed.

Scott's legal situation aside, ive said before i dont know if i agree with the decision to move on Beej, but i totally understand it and the reasons behind it. So ultimately im OK with it. But lets not pretend Scott is better than Beej today... the idea is that Scott is coming into his prime and Beej is leaving his, and certainly talent isnt Scott's problem

So again, im fine with it, but for 2020, we'd have been a better team with Beej over Scott.. and now we may not have either
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

Just file this in with the long list of ‘BJ being a **** idiot’.

He constantly needed rockets when he was here to keep the fat off. His arrogance could be useful on the field, but this was simply not needed on his way out the door.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Timbo wrote: January 30, 2020, 9:24 am Just file this in with the long list of ‘BJ being a **** idiot’.

He constantly needed rockets when he was here to keep the fat off. His arrogance could be useful on the field, but this was simply not needed on his way out the door.
u r correct sir
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

I think Ricky's comment is being taken out of context here. Blind Freddie will tell you BJ was the most talented centre on the roster. Ricky wasnt saying he couldnt make the team on ability. He couldnt make the team on what happens between the ears and output during the wk.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Joey Leilua reveals blow-up with Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart: ‘You’re not good enough for this team’

Wests Tigers recruit Joey Leilua has revealed he decided to leave Canberra due to a falling out with Raiders coach Ricky Stuart last year.

“I asked him if he thought I wasn’t good enough for the team, and he said, ‘you’re not good enough for this team’... From that moment I was off him... I was still mad. I wasn’t happy with him. I respect Ricky as a coach and what he has done for me, but I wasn’t happy.”

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... c187802b6f
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Matt wrote: January 30, 2020, 9:37 am
Timbo wrote: January 30, 2020, 9:24 am Just file this in with the long list of ‘BJ being a **** idiot’.

u r correct sir
100% with everything said.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Matt wrote: January 30, 2020, 9:40 am

I think Ricky's comment is being taken out of context here. Blind Freddie will tell you BJ was the most talented centre on the roster. Ricky wasnt saying he couldnt make the team on ability. He couldnt make the team on what happens between the ears and output during the wk.
That's how I read it too.
Zip Zip
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Zip Zip »

Some strange attacks on Joey here.

Completely agree with Botman (whoever the hell that is), that we are far worse off for 2020 without Beej, however I understand that in order to extend your premiership window, you have to make savings where you can and take a chance on cheaper guys hoping they will play up to the level needed. It worked with Bateman, CNK, Hodgo etc, but when they want upgrades, this is the type of move you have to make.

I have no issue with any of his statements. They guy is an out and out stud. If those were Ricky's exact words, that 'you're not good enough for this team' when it's clearly untrue, I can see how that would strain a relationship.

It's just as likely though that Ricky said 'look, I'm not going to change a winning team' and Joey is just bitter. Either way, this is a disappointing end for a player I'll always hold dear.

I think he was a key piece of our puzzle and I worry about a lack of x-factor heading into 2020.
"Look sorry if that came across wrong, I was just referring to the jokes we were making about all the desperate guys who chase you. Hope to catch up some time, but if not best of luck with everything."
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

I thought we were crazy to let him go. An out of contract Joey was always going to have a big year.

I can see why Ricky was frustrated with him because I found him probably our most frustrating player in recent years but the guy could bust games open.

We have had Rapana, Cotric and Leilua make most of the hard carries on tackle 1 and 2 which gives guys like Soliola, Lui and often Whitehead / Tapine the opportunity to have a breather before getting into the attacking line. I don’t particularly agree with that tactic but I think we are going to struggle to do it the same way with the 2020 team.
Peter
Jason Croker

Post by Peter »

This just confirms why Ricky made the right decision in getting rid of him.

If you can’t take constructive criticism as a highly paid professional, you are either mentally weak or in the wrong industry.

I have no issues with BJ’s confidence around his ability, I actually applaud that. It’s probably what makes him one of the best centres in the game.

However, his attitude and response to Stick telling him he is not good enough for the team and missing a training camp due to being overweight stamped his papers.

All he has to do is look at how Papa handled being demoted for similar, how he spoke at the time, how he accepted responsibility and ultimately how he returned to be the best player in the club and arguably one of the most dominant players of ‘19.

I’ll miss the best of Leilua but I think overall the club is better off without him. He will have the same issues after a couple of years at the tigers too.
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

I heard from a pretty good connection several months ago that the club was going to do its best to force BJ to opt out of his last year, including playing him in Mounties if they had to. I posted the Mounties bit here at the time and got laughed at but I wonder if there is some truth in it a la leaving him behind for being fat.

You'd think Ricky would have made it absolutely clear leaving BJ out of the Roosters game wasn't a question of ability. If he didn't, then BJ is right to feel dirty.

BJ was also correct to say he was the best centre at the club. He wasn't saying it in a way to put Croker and co. down but more to demonstrate that he was confident he could win a starting spot. That's what anyone who has their position threatened by a new signing should be thinking.
Pete Cash
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Pete Cash »

We aren't getting sticks side but i dont see how that is constructive criticism based on Beejs story. Beej had turned himself into a fairly consistent footballer imo. It was only really his massive, massive mental issues against Manly that made me angry in his last year or so.

In my job i have to give feedback all the time. If i told someone they simply werent good enough to do X that wouldnt be constructive. Its actually utterly demoralising.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I dont think we'll ever get to the bottom of that conversation but i suspect Stuart thinks he gave very reasonable and constructive feedback to a player who couldnt handle it, Beej thinks he got disrespect and told he couldnt cut and the truth probably says somewhere in the middle

I said a few weeks ago that i think this was just business and clearly that was wrong. This split was caused by a rift between player and coach, which sucks given what Beej gave us.

I agree with others though, if that's what Stuart told him word for word, then that's not constructive at all, but to that point i suspect Stuart has achieved exactly what he wanted out of that exchange, and that was to motivate a player to find a new club.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

If Ricky wasn’t trying to burn a bridge, he could’ve just been honest and said “mate I know you’re the best in class, but we can’t afford you and instead we’d rather take a punt on Curtis Scott who is cheaper and has promised us he’ll behave himself “
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Pete Cash wrote: January 30, 2020, 12:12 pm We aren't getting sticks side but i dont see how that is constructive criticism based on Beejs story. Beej had turned himself into a fairly consistent footballer imo. It was only really his massive, massive mental issues against Manly that made me angry in his last year or so.

In my job i have to give feedback all the time. If i told someone they simply werent good enough to do X that wouldnt be constructive. Its actually utterly demoralising.
Beejs story doesn't even make sense.

Ricky tells him he isn't good enough.
BJ asks if he is good enough.
Ricky tells him he isn't good enough.

I'd say more likely Ricky said he didn't want to change a winning side, BJ said something stupid and Ricky may have taken the bait.

I'd hope Stuart doesn't respond to his comments so this story will likely remain one sided fuel for the Ricky memes.