The Film Thread

Discuss music, movies, TV shows and video games

Moderator: GH Moderators

BJ
Steve Walters

Re: The Film Thread

Post by BJ »

Really good finish to the films. Very worthwhile finale to rescue a series going nowhere.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

went today, left satisfied

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

The Film Thread

Post by The Nickman »

Northern Raider wrote:
Botman wrote: December 19, 2019, 7:30 pm Ive spoken about this with Nickman today and we're both in agreement

If you put Ep 8 into a rocket and fired it into the sun, and gave the Ep 9 plot 2 full movies to flesh things from the Ep 9 about a bit, the final trilogy would be pretty bloody good
This is the thing. It's a trilogy meant to be closing out a previous trilogy. Last Jedi threw everything out the window that was established in Force Awakens. Basically lost all continuity of story. Rian Johnson has copped most of the flak but the fault really lies with studio execs who decided to bring in a whole new writing and production team for the 2nd installment. Story became a make it up as you go.
Yep, spot on. Literally everything wrong with Rise of Skywalker was the Last Jedi’s fault. As the second movie in a trilogy the Last Jedi had two jobs, 1. to continue on the plot elements set up by Force Awakens and b) set-up the major plot points for Rise of Skywalker.

It spectacularly failed at BOTH those items. They killed Snoke, tore down Rey’s backstory, even went so far to ruin Kylo Ren’s outfit (which he hilariously rebuilt at the start of IX in a massive FU to Rian Johnson), had some nonsensical plot about a massive space chase and needing fuel, and killed off existing characters such as Admiral Akbar just to introduce newer, less likeable ones such as Rose and Haldo.

The fact that Rise of Skywalker’s whole plot was set-up in the text crawl shows how much the Last Jedi failed. I mean, Palpatine coming back should’ve been the “oh ****” moment in Last Jedi, not introduced to us in a trailer and then in the text crawl. “Emperor Palpatine is BACK and he’s amassed an army”... really? That’s how we’re finding this out?

There was literally no surprise there, no fantastic twist. Even Rey being a Palpatine was lukewarm, my reaction was “meh, so that’s what you did, hey? Well done”

And both those disappointments, as I’ll continually say, were the Last Jedi’s fault and absolutely nothing to do with Rise of Skywalker.

JJ did the best he could with the trainsmash he was given. My only genuine gripe with the movie (and it’s small) was when Rey named herself a Skywalker at the end.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

I saw the Rise of Skywalker on Saturday night with my much better half. We loved it. Thought it has been set up well for a future trilogy. The force is developing with Finn. There is a possibility of Rey continuing a 'Skywalker' line of Jedi. (Although I agree with Nickman why wasn't she honest and say her surname was Palpatine. I suppose it would be a bit like being a 'Hitler' in post World War 2 Germany or Austria.) The buried light sabers could be found their use discovered. The light saber Ben (Kylo Ren) threw into the raging sea could be washed up on some calm shore and so begins a search for meaning. All of the history stored within C3PO and R2D2 could be exposed or sought by future Sith. We saw the 2nd coming and departing of Palpatine but in earlier films 'there are always two Sith' one master and one pupil. It is a walk up start that the 2nd Sith comes forward to continue Palpatine's ambition. We will have to wait until 2022.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

My turn to see Rise of Skywalker. I may drop spoilers so be warned.

First and foremost I enjoyed the movie. JJ Abrams did a decent job given the **** sandwich he was handed by Rian Johnson. Easily the best performance by Daisy Ridley. In episode 7 she was quite wooden at times. In episode 8 she wasn't overly convincing. Probably more a symptom of the material she was given. In episode 9 she did a fine job of handling a character that was being emotionally stretched and torn.

It was good that the main characters remained the focal point. The new ones introduced were relatively minor roles.

Main criticisms is the story seemed more like a bunch of ideas bundled together rather than on evolving plot. As such there were a few times it felt a bit bloated. Also think the title is misleading. Skywalkers were disappearing, not rising. More like Rise of Palpatine.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Just watched "The Irishman" and I watched "The Two Popes" earlier this week. Both are Netflix films and already on Netflix... but they have given them a theatrical release with the aim of qualifying for the major film awards. Both good films...

I have to say, however, The Irishman is incredibly long and would have been a far superior film if it were shorter, much shorter. It also would have been a much better film if De Niro didn't attempt to play his character as a fairly young man. It jars, as he is obviously way too old for that period of his character's life. They apparently CGI'd him to make him look younger, some new technology... but it looked fake. It works better for middle age to old age. In any case, a lot of the early part of the film would have been better truncated.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I found 'the big blue' on SBS on demand. A movie that looked quite interesting when it came out - in the 90s I think - but I never got around to watching it. I think it's a pretty good movie.
Also watched half of 'Boy', a New Zealand film. Really quirky and again pretty good.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

gergreg wrote:I found 'the big blue' on SBS on demand. A movie that looked quite interesting when it came out - in the 90s I think - but I never got around to watching it. I think it's a pretty good movie.
Also watched half of 'Boy', a New Zealand film. Really quirky and again pretty good.

You watched Half of ‘Boy’?

Is that the Todd Carney story?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Just watched “The Report” on Amazon. It is an indictment of the film industry that quality films are now the preserve of streaming services. It was a very good film, not great, a little slow perhaps, but really worth watching. Very good performances from the leads.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Saw 1917 on the weekend (from the ‘day beds’ you can now book at event cinemas!).

Thought it was exceptional.

Cinematography was the most obvious standout, the entire film is essentially shot with 1 steady cam following the main actor. There are no camera changes throughout the entire film. I’ve never seen a film shot like that before. There were very subtle moments when the ‘camera’ flashed behind a dirt mound or similar which they would use to start a new sequence, but it was shot as if it was seamless. Very impressive.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Hitchcock did the same with “Rope”.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Yeah Birdman is the same.

There was a dad joke going around about 1917 how it was filmed using 1 shot, but it wasn’t true, because there were many shots in a lot of those battle scenes
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: January 21, 2020, 6:02 am Yeah Birdman is the same.

There was a dad joke going around about 1917 how it was filmed using 1 shot, but it wasn’t true, because there were many shots in a lot of those battle scenes
Booooooooo
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Watched “Whiplash” last night. Not sure how I missed this, J.K. Simmons won Best Supporting Actor for it in 2014. Plus a couple of technical Oscars. Amazing film... challenging proposition at the nub of the film, however.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

greeneyed wrote: January 27, 2020, 7:55 am Watched “Whiplash” last night. Not sure how I missed this, J.K. Simmons won Best Supporting Actor for it in 2014. Plus a couple of technical Oscars. Amazing film... challenging proposition at the nub of the film, however.
Watched it on a flight a couple of years ago. Though it was fantastic. Hardly the kind of synopsis that would drag you in but the film surely does. Would recommend it to anybody looking for a well acted, great story.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

greeneyed wrote:Watched “Whiplash” last night. Not sure how I missed this, J.K. Simmons won Best Supporting Actor for it in 2014. Plus a couple of technical Oscars. Amazing film... challenging proposition at the nub of the film, however.
I watched it a while back also. I thought it was a bit confronting at first, but I was still thinking about it a few days later, rewatched it and enjoyed it.

It really makes you question how far you can push someone in the name of self improvement
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: January 28, 2020, 2:17 pm
greeneyed wrote:Watched “Whiplash” last night. Not sure how I missed this, J.K. Simmons won Best Supporting Actor for it in 2014. Plus a couple of technical Oscars. Amazing film... challenging proposition at the nub of the film, however.
I watched it a while back also. I thought it was a bit confronting at first, but I was still thinking about it a few days later, rewatched it and enjoyed it.

It really makes you question how far you can push someone in the name of self improvement
In a way it almost seemed excuse the bullying. I’m not sure if it was the intention of the film maker (who also directed La La Land btw)... but it was certainly confronting and thought provoking.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Anyone see the gentlemen?

If so, thoughts?

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I watched Parasite this afternoon. Can’t see how this won best film. Not even close. Still to see a few of the nominated films, but Once upon a time in Hollywood and Marriage Story both better films for mine.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

I saw Parasite recently. Thought it was excellent. I'm glad something original, well executed and ambitious won. Not the usual oscar bait.

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood was good, I thoroughly enjoyed it, but a bit self indulgent- plus Hollywood congratulating yet another self referential film so soon after La La Land would be a bit too much... Might have won in another year. But this is the academy that thinks Forest Gump is a better film than Pulp Fiction...

Haven't seen Marriage Story, maybe a Netflix backlash but imo Parasite was a great film.

1917- yawn another war movie, this time with a special effects gimmick.

The Irishman- does Scorsese really want to keep making the same film with the same guys for 40 years and think he deserves to keep getting awards for it?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Parasite... We’ve seen that film, up to the final turn many times before and it’s been done much better. The comedy and acting overdrawn... grated a bit with me. The final twist is not so much a twist... rather it was designed to shock. The motivations of the father don’t gel... it is far too much in contrast with the rest of the film and his character earlier in the film.

Can’t disagree about The Irishman. The special effects trying to make 80 year olds look like they’re 30 really didn’t work. Haven’t seen 1917 yet.

La La Land didn’t win Best Picture... but I thought it deserved to. Love that movie.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

greeneyed wrote: February 11, 2020, 4:33 am Parasite... We’ve seen that film, up to the final turn many times before and it’s been done much better. The comedy and acting overdrawn... grated a bit with me. The final twist is not so much a twist... rather it was designed to shock. The motivations of the father don’t gel... it is far too much in contrast with the rest of the film and his character earlier in the film.

Can’t disagree about The Irishman. The special effects trying to make 80 year olds look like they’re 30 really didn’t work. Haven’t seen 1917 yet.

La La Land didn’t win Best Picture... but I thought it deserved to. Love that movie.
Go and see 1917. I thought it was really well done. How much of the WW1 experience they managed to portray in what was 1 persons view of approx 24 hours was amazing.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

1917 was brilliant. Elements of both Saving Private Ryan (brutal realism) and Dunkirk (real time account). Being set in the trenches of WW1 was a refreshing change from most war films of recent times.

Not seen Parasite or La La Land so can't pass judgement there.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

-TW- wrote: January 28, 2020, 9:08 pm Anyone see the gentlemen?

If so, thoughts?

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk
I'm late here but the most enjoyable film I've seen in ages. A real return to form for Ritchie.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Watch Biutiful the other night. Javier Bardem was pretty bloody good and overall a good movie.

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

Well this has the potential to be unpopular... but I just watched Frozen 2.

It just came out on Disney+, and given the opportunity I will always watch a mainline Walt Disney Animation Studios film at least once. I mean come on; The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, The Lion King, The Emperor's New Groove, The Princess and the Frog, Moana... the list goes on.

Thoroughly enjoying, I thought - at least if you haven't seen it 1,000 times due to kids.

Interestingly enough, the song Disney thought was going to be a smash hit and submitted to the awards ceremonies wasn't the one that everybody thinks is the best, and they're right. Idina Menzel can sing; whether or not "Let it Go" scarred you for life, you'd have to be living on another planet to not be impressed by her vocals.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I saw Yesterday, today. It’s not the best film in the world, this year or any year, but it was a bit of fun with a great sound track.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

greeneyed wrote: March 18, 2020, 10:38 pm I saw Yesterday, today. It’s not the best film in the world, this year or any year, but it was a bit of fun with a great sound track.
yeah it was decent entertainment. An easy movie to enjoy. Also hits home how many brilliant songs the Beetles produced.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Finally got around to watching A Star is Born this morning. It wasn’t bad, but not Oscar worthy. Couldn’t stand Bradley Cooper’s character, and I struggled to care for them

Nickman's love of NSW
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

These John Wick movies are the biggest load of crap I've ever seen..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

-PJ- wrote: March 29, 2020, 11:24 am These John Wick movies are the biggest load of crap I've ever seen..
Didn't mind it to start. Got increasingly more silly as they went on.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Northern Raider wrote: March 29, 2020, 11:40 am
-PJ- wrote: March 29, 2020, 11:24 am These John Wick movies are the biggest load of crap I've ever seen..
Silly covers it..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Sterlk wrote:Well this has the potential to be unpopular... but I just watched Frozen 2.

It just came out on Disney+, and given the opportunity I will always watch a mainline Walt Disney Animation Studios film at least once. I mean come on; The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, The Lion King, The Emperor's New Groove, The Princess and the Frog, Moana... the list goes on.

Thoroughly enjoying, I thought - at least if you haven't seen it 1,000 times due to kids.

Interestingly enough, the song Disney thought was going to be a smash hit and submitted to the awards ceremonies wasn't the one that everybody thinks is the best, and they're right. Idina Menzel can sing; whether or not "Let it Go" scarred you for life, you'd have to be living on another planet to not be impressed by her vocals.
What did they submit and which one was your favourite?
Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

'Into the Unknown' was the one that was sung at awards ceremonies and did the promo tour. 'Show Yourself' is the one everybody seems to think is better, and I agree. Those two are Idina Menzel's big songs.

Interestingly enough, through some recent Googling I found that Idina really damaged her voice after years and years on Broadway. She's amazing still, but really benefits from the multiple takes you get from pre-recording.

If you ever come across a video of her doing a live performance of something in recent years, there's about a 50% chance she'll sound amazing and do vocal acrobatics few others could manage... and a 50% chance she'll miss the big note completely and make you cringe painfully.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

-PJ- wrote: March 29, 2020, 12:55 pm
Northern Raider wrote: March 29, 2020, 11:40 am
Silly covers it..
I didn't mind the first one. 2nd one was a bit ott. Torn about watching the third one. On the one hand, I feel like I need to finish the series, but on the other hand life's too short to be wasted on dud movies.

Nickman's love of NSW