Curtis Scott police assault charges dropped after court rules arrest 'unlawful'

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Leebola
Brett Mullins

Re: Canberra Raiders recruit Curtis Scott arrested after Moore Park incident

Post by Leebola »

gangrenous wrote: January 27, 2020, 2:44 pm
Dusty wrote:Tearing up a contract just delivers him to a rival.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Who cares?

It’s well past time the NRL deregistered these clowns for periods of years.
Agree entirely, but since they don't...
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Captain Punish wrote: January 27, 2020, 10:09 am
julian87 wrote: January 27, 2020, 9:50 am
LimeGreenMachine wrote: January 27, 2020, 9:30 am Not a good start but will I'll wait and see what all the details are.
Also how is a random drug search with nothing found drama?
It’s not a drama but coppers don’t search people for drugs randomly.
Police don’t do random searches?

Hahahahahahahahaha

Funniest thing I’ve heard.
I worded that poorly. There are random drug searches but they are not random in the same sense an RBT is. They’re performed on people they genuinely suspect to be holding, not randomly across the general population.

It being mentioned in the article shows a few things. He was out both nights, probably bending, was suspected of drug use on the Saturday night as well as being arrested 24hrs later behaving erratically and assaulting police.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past: Daley
Present: Strange

Post by Dusty »

gangrenous wrote:
Dusty wrote:Tearing up a contract just delivers him to a rival.

Who cares?

It’s well past time the NRL deregistered these clowns for periods of years.
I do

And we all know the NRL won’t stop him going elsewhere.

Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Smurfette wrote: January 27, 2020, 2:44 pm Sigh. Who could possibly have thought that a bunch of footballers partying in Sydney on Australia Day would end like this? Disappointed that he was in the company of Whitehead and Bateman earlier in the day tbh.

For the record though, I think people are reading a bit too much into his charges, in the sense that they are a classic cluster of charges that roll through magistrates courts across the country every week (the trifecta, or the ham, cheese and tomato sandwich). Not an excuse for any of it, but they suggest circumstances much more mundane than Wighton’s to me.
Punching a police officer seems pretty serious to me.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

I honestly don't care what the club does here. We'll survive and move on if we cut him loose, alternatively this could be a real turning point in his life (let alone football career). He is obviously bad news on the turps.

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out. No big loss either way. We did OK without him last season and we'll move forward as a playing group whether he stays or not.

The club stuck by Wighton and Young... So I suspect they'll back him, but he may be faced with a Carney like choice about his drinking habits moving forward.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Seiffert82 wrote:I honestly don't care what the club does here. We'll survive and move on if we cut him loose, alternatively this could be a real turning point in his life (let alone football career). He is obviously bad news on the turps.

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out. No big loss either way. We did OK without him last season and we'll move forward as a playing group whether he stays or not.

The club stuck by Wighton and Young... So I suspect they'll back him, but he may be faced with a Carney like choice about his drinking habits moving forward.
Pretty much

He'll probably end up with a 10 game suspension and we play Cotric in the centres and Oldfield on the wing

Or he gets sacked and we play Cotric in the centres and Oldfield on the wing

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Azza wrote: January 27, 2020, 3:26 pm
Smurfette wrote: January 27, 2020, 2:44 pm Sigh. Who could possibly have thought that a bunch of footballers partying in Sydney on Australia Day would end like this? Disappointed that he was in the company of Whitehead and Bateman earlier in the day tbh.

For the record though, I think people are reading a bit too much into his charges, in the sense that they are a classic cluster of charges that roll through magistrates courts across the country every week (the trifecta, or the ham, cheese and tomato sandwich). Not an excuse for any of it, but they suggest circumstances much more mundane than Wighton’s to me.
I get what’s been said here. Plenty of people who resist arrest when intoxicated get slapped with assault police officer whether it’s deserved or not.

The use of the taser doesn’t look good for him imo.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

I have this really crazy idea! Lets just wait and see what happens before we tar and feather him!

We know he has been charged thats all, those charges may not even make it to court, and those charges can look a million different ways in the real world/ what actually happened

All we know is it does not qualify for the stand down rule

Currently we have heard nothing from the nrl in regards to
- josh Reynolds
- sivo
- dugan
- ofolelenge from the broncos

Any more?

And in terms of the search for drugs yes in sydney they do do random drug searches particularly when they are in that kind of "party" area
Vaccinated
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Utterly disappointed that we lost Joey and now have this clown. If you have time view his Instagram page and photo’s. He is a complete dick when he drinks!
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

cat wrote: January 27, 2020, 3:36 pm I have this really crazy idea! Lets just wait and see what happens before we tar and feather him!

We know he has been charged thats all, those charges may not even make it to court, and those charges can look a million different ways in the real world/ what actually happened

- josh Reynolds
- sivo
- dugan

Any more?

And in terms of the search for drugs yes in sydney they do do random drug searches particularly when they are in that kind of "party" area
What planet are you on?
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

julian87 wrote: January 27, 2020, 3:36 pm

I get what’s been said here. Plenty of people who resist arrest when intoxicated get slapped with assault police officer whether it’s deserved or not.

He is a professional athelete , they may have gone the taser quicker based on his size and skill

We really dont know what happened yet

The cops charge him then the dpp decide what actually sticks
Vaccinated
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

cat wrote:I have this really crazy idea! Lets just wait and see what happens before we tar and feather him!

- josh Reynolds
- sivo
- dugan

Any more?

You need to get with the rest of us in reality

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

-TW- wrote: January 27, 2020, 3:32 pm
Seiffert82 wrote:I honestly don't care what the club does here. We'll survive and move on if we cut him loose, alternatively this could be a real turning point in his life (let alone football career). He is obviously bad news on the turps.

Pretty much

He'll probably end up with a 10 game suspension and we play Cotric in the centres and Oldfield on the wing

Or he gets sacked and we play Cotric in the centres and Oldfield on the wing

Yeah, I expect 10 weeks minimum too.

Cotric in the centres is a very good option for us. Toss up between Oldfield and HSS for the wing.

Bring on Rd 1 baby!!!
Last edited by Seiffert82 on January 27, 2020, 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

manbearpig wrote: January 27, 2020, 12:36 pm Same sad people who were ready to hang
Wighton.

The lack of comments from Lucy is a tad concerning though
If we are assigning camps; I'd just like to clarify I was pro work through it with Wighton and I am pro sack Scott.

Wighton at least played some footy and banked some credits and wasn't cut loose from another club who saw the writing on the wall before it happened...
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

You know as well as me it isn't really Australia Day until you get tased for a third time.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

We don’t know the charges don’t qualify for the NRL stand down rule. From what I’ve read, it possibly could.
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

Northern Raider wrote: January 27, 2020, 3:38 pm
cat wrote: January 27, 2020, 3:36 pm I have this really crazy idea! Lets just wait and see what happens before we tar and feather him!

- josh Reynolds
- sivo
- dugan

Any more?

What planet are you on?
Meaning?

So you know what actually happened based on those charges? I for sure dont.

Assault police- could have sworn at them, accidentally struck one when fighting to get away, actually looked them in the eye and deliberately punched them the list goes on.

So let's not crucify him until we really know
Vaccinated
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

The fact he was that loose and aggressive in public so as to get tasered means he should probably have his contract terminated.

He's a lucky young man if the club sticks by him, with absolutely no positive track record on his part. They have no obligation to do so.
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

greeneyed wrote: January 27, 2020, 3:42 pm We don’t know the charges don’t qualify for the NRL stand down rule. From what I’ve read, it possibly could.
You are not looking at a jail term here, can promise you that.
So there is no way this qualifies
The parra player does based on fiji court rules though.....
Vaccinated
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

BadnMean wrote: January 27, 2020, 3:40 pm
manbearpig wrote: January 27, 2020, 12:36 pm Same sad people who were ready to hang
Wighton.

The lack of comments from Lucy is a tad concerning though
If we are assigning camps; I'd just like to clarify I was pro work through it with Wighton and I am pro sack Scott.

Wighton at least played some footy and banked some credits and wasn't cut loose from another club who saw the writing on the wall before it happened...
Yeah, I was backing the club to stick by Wighton. Not sure about Scott. He could be a good bloke who is just a tosspot on the drink. That's not uncommon. If so, it ultimately comes down to how he chooses to address the drinking issue. Carney didn't want to change long term, yet Wighton did.

It's Scott's choice as to how he wants to live his life. One of those directions is a one way road to oblivion.
Danaman137
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by Danaman137 »

cat wrote:

- josh Reynolds
- sivo
- dugan

Any more?

What planet are you on?
Meaning?

Assault police- could have sworn at them, accidentally struck one when fighting to get away, actually looked them in the eye and deliberately punched them the list goes on.

Read the bottom line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

cat wrote: January 27, 2020, 3:44 pm

- josh Reynolds
- sivo
- dugan

Any more?

What planet are you on?
Meaning?

"
New South Wales police released a statement that detailed at around 12.45am Monday, January 27 police were called to Driver Ave, Moore Park.

As the officers attempted to assist Scott, he kicked and punched an officer in the face and had to be tasered before he was arrested
."
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Danaman137
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by Danaman137 »

@Northern Raider, Jynx!

BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

cat wrote: January 27, 2020, 3:36 pm

Just to clarify, actually no, they need "reasonable grounds" to do so in NSW.

Simply being "in a party area" is NOT enough to be searched. A sniffer dog indication (flimsy or imeprfect as they are) is reasonable grounds. Simply being somewhere is not. Erratic behaviour or complaints or seeing you do something may be reasonable grounds.

So police can enter a bar with a dog and see what happens. They cannot suddenly frisk search every single person in that bar- unless they see huge piles of drugs out in the open, or see you drop something, or you are sitting next to a pile of drugs etc.

The fact he was searched is neither here nor there- as long as they didn't find anything it just shows he was probably acting like the kind of merkin who is throwing things at cars, that is enough to get you searched as it is "erratic".
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Danaman137 wrote: January 27, 2020, 3:51 pm @Northern Raider, Jynx!

Haha.

At least some of read the reports. :)
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Northern Raider wrote:
cat wrote: January 27, 2020, 3:44 pm

- josh Reynolds
- sivo
- dugan

Any more?

What planet are you on?
Meaning?

"
New South Wales police released a statement that detailed at around 12.45am Monday, January 27 police were called to Driver Ave, Moore Park.

As the officers attempted to assist Scott, he kicked and punched an officer in the face and had to be tasered before he was arrested
."
But let's wait til we know what the facts are?!??!!?!!?!

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

cat wrote: January 27, 2020, 3:47 pm
greeneyed wrote: January 27, 2020, 3:42 pm We don’t know the charges don’t qualify for the NRL stand down rule. From what I’ve read, it possibly could.
You are not looking at a jail term here, can promise you that.
So there is no way this qualifies
The parra player does based on fiji court rules though.....
I’d be surprised too if there was a jail term if there is some form of guilty verdict. The NRL isn’t deciding on what they think the penalty will be, they’re looking at the maximum penalty for the charge. I don’t know enough about the charges or the circumstances to know what maximum penalty attaches to the charges. I hope it doesn’t. https://www.armstronglegal.com.au/crimi ... ult/police
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Needed to do it in Bali and then he would have been OK.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

sack him and move on

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

There’s no way we will cut him.

We did the ‘right thing’ for years with Carney, Dugan, etc and it always came back to bite us on the backside when the NRL let them sign with another club immediately. We showed last summer with Fighton’ Wighton that we aren’t taking the moral high ground any more for the benefit of other clubs. We’re also not paying BJ $450k for a season with no replacement in Canberra. He was a targeted signing and is obviously a huge part of Sticks long term plans.

He’ll be stood down for a bit, Ricky will give him an absolute bollocking behind closed doors and he’ll be back on the field at some point in green this season.

The only way we will cut him is if the league forces us to.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

cat wrote:

He is a professional athelete , they may have gone the taser quicker based on his size and skill

Skill in what? Drunk brawling?
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

All this after the feelgood bulldust he fed us last week..

He'll be damn lucky to keep his job.

im just so disappointed. All that pre season slog for nothing.

He's gone..the club will decide if it's a suspension or a sacking.

But its the impact on the side that's crapped me out.

Thank you CScott...
Last edited by -PJ- on January 27, 2020, 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: January 27, 2020, 4:37 pm
cat wrote:

Skill in what? Drunk brawling?
Lucky he didn't resist arrest in Melbourne..

The fuzz love a good gun fight in Vic.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

Why...? The stupid muppet.

They should fly Todd Carney down here to have an 'I am your future, and I'd have taken the drinking ban if I could have my time again' talk with Scott - then slap him with a drinking ban for the foreseeable future.

If he'd be preventing from playing for rival clubs, I'd say just punt him and start looking for somebody else - 4 years is a long time... but we all know that any club that takes a stand does so without the backing of the NRL; somebody else would just sign him and everything would progress business-as-usual.
Johno
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Johno »

Would the police officer had one of those body cameras?

Or a fellow officer recorded it?