St George Illawarra Dragons 2020

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

St George Illawarra Dragons 2020

Post by greeneyed »

NRL.com's predicted Dragons Round 1 team

1. Zac Lomax
2. Tristan Sailor
3. Euan Aitken
4. Tim Lafai
5. Jordan Pereira
6. Corey Norman
7. Ben Hunt
8. Paul Vaughan
9. Cameron McInnes
10. James Graham
11. Tariq Sims
12. Tyson Frizell
13. Trent Merrin

14. Korbin Sims
15. Blake Lawrie
16. Jackson Ford
17. Issac Luke

Others: Eddie Blacker, Jack de Belin, Matt Dufty, Jacob Host, Josh Kerr, Joe Lovodua, Mikaele Ravalawa, Jason Saab, Brayden Wiliame

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/12/22/st- ... cted-team/
Begbie
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Re: St George Illawarra Dragons 2020

Post by Begbie »

Doesn't make my 8. Bottom 4.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

It's a side going backwards isn't it. In that entire starting lineup Zac Lomax is the only player of note on an upward trajectory. That's scary, scary stuff.

I'd like to say that Merrin is a good signing because I've always thought he's quality but it will actually hurt them IMO. Because Frizell looks like he needs to move in field. Sims too possibly. It's a horrifically slow team as well across the park. Their 3 middle 3rd forwards are past their prime. Graham is on his last legs and I'd like to have money on Paul Vaughan bucking the trend of props being better when older. He was always about leg speed and that's already looked like slowing the last 18 months or so.

I would not be surprised to see them come last.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

I think the big impact will be Shane Flanagan as “assistant” coach. I can’t stand the guy, but he’s a very, very good coach

I fully expect him to have the head coach gig by the end of the season
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

The Dragqueens were a major dissapointment in 2019 and I laughed the whole way through it..

And I expect more of the same in 2020..

@ Nickman..I'm pretty certain Flanagans ban doesn't end till end 2021.

Happy to be corrected..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Flanagan has been cleared by the NRL to be assistant at the Dragons. He should have been banned for life IMO. We don’t need blokes like him in the sport.

They allow Flanagan to return, fail to sanction David Fifita in any way... meanwhile stand in the way of Jordan Rapana’s return to rugby league in 2020. The NRL is truly warped.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Yes..

But he's banned from holding a head coaching the until season 2022.

But hey this is the NRL and I can see it now. Flanagan will be StGeorges next head coach and I bet the NRL bend yet another rule in allow him back early..

Paul McGregor is walking the green mile..he is effectively gone..he knows it..we all know it !!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Sorry... I misread the point of the question/comment. You’re precisely right PJ.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

The Nickman wrote:I think the big impact will be Shane Flanagan as “assistant” coach. I can’t stand the guy, but he’s a very, very good coach

He isn't able to be head coach until 2022. He will improve that side but don't think by much considering the squad and the buffoon of a head coach.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

gergreg wrote: December 22, 2019, 4:57 pm
The Nickman wrote:I think the big impact will be Shane Flanagan as “assistant” coach. I can’t stand the guy, but he’s a very, very good coach

He isn't able to be head coach until 2022. He will improve that side but don't think by much considering the squad and the buffoon of a head coach.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
But what is a head coach??? Let’s look at the day to day coaching of a club - how much do you think Bennet does for example, and how much does he leave to his ‘assistants’? I’d say sticky has taken a step back in the last year with Ennis and Cappy taking more responsibility.

Flanagan should be nowhere near our sport. It’s disgusting that he is, and really begs the question, what is the limit of what the NRL will forgive? This pig sanctioned an illegal supplement program. He was banned for a year, and continued to direct the coaches during this ban. Not only that, but he was guiding a rort of the salary cap during an imposed ban. He has laughed at the NRL at every step.

But - he CAN essentially run the coaching of an NRL team as an ‘assistant’ if the coaching ranks are divided correctly. And the NRL has shown they have no real backbone to put a stop to anything in the grey areas of rulings.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Flanagan basically doesn't have to worry about attending press conferences. That's it.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Ordinary team by the way. Losing Widdop hurts big time. Decent forward pack on its day but they're a bit thin in the middle. James Graham is a shadow of his former self. Goodness knows what Merrin will bring.
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

Nothing special.

Bottom 4
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Cameron McInnes named captain for 2020.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

NRL physio saying medium to high grade MCL for McInnes

Expected to be out for 6-12 weeks

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Well Isaac Luke has hit the jackpot. Flanno too.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Dragons star Paul Vaughan in cafe COVID-19 breach

Dragons star Paul Vaughan has been at a cafe in breach of the NRL’s COVID-19 protocols. Vaughan has admitted that he went to a cafe in the Illawarra on Thursday and did not sign in.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... bdc073de3a
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Post by Northern Raider »

Paul Vaughan admits to the mistake and apologises saying everybody is well aware of the rules and he didn't follow them.

Wayne Bennet gets caught for the same act and says "I'm allowed to eat aren't I?" while claiming the rules are confusing.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I don't understand how Bennett can say the protocols are "changing all the time". The basic rules on this were liberalised once... and then it was made very clear that they had been tightened again, to the original rules. Not eating in cafes and restaurants was a key difference.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Bennett, Vaughan stood down for 14 days over biosecurity breaches

Rabbitohs coach Wayne Bennett and Dragons prop Paul Vaughan have both been stood down for 14 days after breaking the NRL's COVID-19 biosecurity protocols.

The NRL said the decision was made to put Bennett and Vaughan on a 14-day 'COVID hold' after they contravened NRL biosecurity protocols by dining seperately at restaurants.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/08/06/ben ... -breaches/
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

greeneyed wrote: August 6, 2020, 3:25 pm I don't understand how Bennett can say the protocols are "changing all the time". The basic rules on this were liberalised once... and then it was made very clear that they had been tightened again, to the original rules. Not eating in cafes and restaurants was a key difference.
Can you remember the last time Bennett admitting to an error? I don't think he's capable of contrition in any form.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Northern Raider wrote: August 6, 2020, 3:27 pm
greeneyed wrote: August 6, 2020, 3:25 pm I don't understand how Bennett can say the protocols are "changing all the time". The basic rules on this were liberalised once... and then it was made very clear that they had been tightened again, to the original rules. Not eating in cafes and restaurants was a key difference.
Can you remember the last time Bennett admitting to an error? I don't think he's capable of contrition in any form.
Further proof that Bennett can be a Grade A douchebag when he wants to be. His press conference performances just tell me he's a cranky old man who feels like the rules don't apply to him.

Glad his players love him. Pity the team has been bog ordinary since the loss of Inglis and Burgess.
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

technically tonights game should be rescheduled until the whole team can be tested especially Paul's test result
Vaccinated
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Ssh cat. We want the Roosters team to be forced to forfeit two rounds
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

McGregor era over as Dragons coach falls on his sword

Paul McGregor's reign as coach of St George Illawarra is set to end after Friday night's clash with Parramatta after being told by the board the club wanted to appoint a new mentor for 2021.

McGregor will tell his players at Thursday's final training session before the match that he will not see out the season.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/08/13/mcg ... his-sword/

McGregor sacked as Dragons lose patience with embattled coach: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 111d51b756
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Is this the job Fitzgibbon has been waiting for?
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Might be a spot available in brisbane for mary soon. Make it happen ikin

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Northern Raider wrote:Is this the job Fitzgibbon has been waiting for?
It’d be interesting. They were talking about this on 360, and who would want to coach them, knowing they’d probably get flicked as soon as the NRL re-register Flanagan.

Kent said Fitzgibbon, and Ikin said he’s stated he wants to remain loyal to Robinson.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:
Northern Raider wrote:Is this the job Fitzgibbon has been waiting for?
It’d be interesting. They were talking about this on 360, and who would want to coach them, knowing they’d probably get flicked as soon as the NRL re-register Flanagan.

Kent said Fitzgibbon, and Ikin said he’s stated he wants to remain loyal to Robinson.
Flanagan has been driving a dragons sponsor owned car since the sharks flicked him so it was only a matter of when

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

What a mess. :lol:

They've basically written off two seasons waiting for Flanagan to take the reigns. Crazy.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

The NRL have facilitated this mess by stupidly allowing Flanagan to be employed as an assistant coach but not a head coach. It's a ridiculous situation. Great move by the club if they employ another puppet for next season.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Seiffert82 wrote:The NRL have facilitated this mess by stupidly allowing Flanagan to be employed as an assistant coach but not a head coach. It's a ridiculous situation. Great move by the club if they employ another puppet for next season.
Too right!
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Seiffert82 wrote: August 13, 2020, 1:13 pm The NRL have facilitated this mess by stupidly allowing Flanagan to be employed as an assistant coach but not a head coach. It's a ridiculous situation. Great move by the club if they employ another puppet for next season.
100%. Personally I'm shocked Flanagan is allowed anywhere near an NRL club. That aside I don't get the fixation Dragons have with him. He's there now pulling the strings but the team Stu sucks. Do they expect it to improve when he's officially in the top job?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Northern Raider wrote: August 13, 2020, 3:43 pm
Seiffert82 wrote: August 13, 2020, 1:13 pm The NRL have facilitated this mess by stupidly allowing Flanagan to be employed as an assistant coach but not a head coach. It's a ridiculous situation. Great move by the club if they employ another puppet for next season.
100%. Personally I'm shocked Flanagan is allowed anywhere near an NRL club. That aside I don't get the fixation Dragons have with him. He's there now pulling the strings but the team Stu sucks. Do they expect it to improve when he's officially in the top job?
He should never have been registered to take any position in the NRL ever again. Not only a drug cheat, but cheated while on suspension for cheating!
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

The Dragons have managed this appallingly.

I obviously don't know how good McGregor genuinely is as a coach as he's had to deal with a lot of crap at the club. However, the way they have hamstrung him in recruiting and team selection, while having Flanagan in the background sharpening his knife, is absolutely disgraceful.

Such a poorly run club.