Raiders player signing speculation 2020

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

Now that the Tigers have officially missed Latrell, look for them to sign BJ before Rd1.
No inside info. Just reading the tea leaves.
Bank it
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2019

Post by Northern Raider »

Beejay wrote: January 13, 2020, 6:31 pm Now that the Tigers have officially missed Latrell, look for them to sign BJ before Rd1.
No inside info. Just reading the tea leaves.
Bank it
Shouldn't that be in the Raiders Player Unsigning Speculation thread?
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

Indeed
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Yep, chalk me up as in agreement with Beejay
I've felt the whole time that Beej wont be here come round 1, and i am sticking with that. No inside word... the tigers looked at their sqaud, identified a need for a strike centre... feels like there is a good chance something is going to happen here

Again, i hope im wrong, i remain a strong supporter and defender of Beej.
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

Botman wrote: January 13, 2020, 7:04 pm Yep, chalk me up as in agreement with Beejay
I've felt the whole time that Beej wont be here come round 1, and i am sticking with that. No inside word... the tigers looked at their sqaud, identified a need for a strike centre... feels like there is a good chance something is going to happen here

Again, i hope im wrong, i remain a strong supporter and defender of Beej.
Yeah you’ve been pretty consistent on this.

The whole BJ is staying in Canberra away from the team and our training camp to get some work in his legs makes absolutely zero sense.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2020

Post by Botman »

Also, why is Beej in a contract year going to agree to come off the bench and deminish his value for his last meaningful contract?
I dont see it. And i dont think the Raiders went and got Curtis Scott as depth. Nor do i think he's been brought here to play wing or off the bench. He's going to be playing centre opposite Croker.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Agree with all the above comments....I can't see BJ staying.
Roy Rover
Chris O'Sullivan

Post by Roy Rover »

Remember how after Edrick dropped 'that' ball against the Storm he never wore green again?

I'm tipping the same for BJ.

Once a certain person decides that you're no longer in their plans moving forward you're as good as gone.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Please dont compare bj with an edrick lee level player like they are remotely equals
Dont delete this GE
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

If the Tigers pay BJ Leluia based on how he has performed against them, he would be paid $2 million a season.

They might be willing to sign him just to reduce the chances of us destroying them out wide. Gee he wrecked their defence a few times these last few seasons.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

BJ wrote: January 14, 2020, 1:14 pm If the Tigers pay BJ Leluia based on how he has performed against them, he would be paid $2 million a season.

They might be willing to sign him just to reduce the chances of us destroying them out wide. Gee he wrecked their defence a few times these last few seasons.
BJ vs Toots... Would ignite a match day thread unlike any other. The defensive scrutiny!
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

BJ wrote: January 14, 2020, 1:14 pm If the Tigers pay BJ Leluia based on how he has performed against them, he would be paid $2 million a season.

:roflmao
Can't beat him, so make him join you
Damoni
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Too Easy

Post by Damoni »

Roy Rover wrote:Remember how after Edrick dropped 'that' ball against the Storm he never wore green again?

I'm tipping the same for BJ.

Once a certain person decides that you're no longer in their plans moving forward you're as good as gone.
Def has that kind of feel to it.

Sticky can hold a grudge he still blames Finch for costing him a GF and rightfully so he’s a flog
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

So to take a leap and assume Sticky IS holding a grudge - would it be the lazy defence for the match winning try or the non-pass for what would have been the match winning try?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Tigers to pounce on NRL market with $1m

Armed with a war chest of more than $1 million in salary cap space, the Wests Tigers remain ready to pounce in their search for a star outside back. But they're not going to rushed into a impulse buy.

Read more: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/tigers-to- ... ffe7a83a1f
sprintman
Brett Mullins

Post by sprintman »

I spend time on every teams forum and none of them are talking about BJ.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Coastalraider wrote: January 14, 2020, 8:00 pm So to take a leap and assume Sticky IS holding a grudge - would it be the lazy defence for the match winning try or the non-pass for what would have been the match winning try?
I dont think there is any grudge. I think Stuart and co feel like maybe with the neck injury and his style, Beej is coming to the end of his prime and given his contractual situation are happier to be out a year too early than 2-3 years too late.

That's how i'd see it anyways.
And again,i may be totally and completely off base. Nothing about this is coming from any inside source (not that i have any :lol: ) , just me sort of reading he tea leaves and following my own logic... which is probably wrong.

The tigers are going to spend that money on a strike weapon, there arent many of them available, and i THINK Beej is very much a fit in terms money, need and availability
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Botman wrote: January 14, 2020, 8:54 pm
Coastalraider wrote: January 14, 2020, 8:00 pm So to take a leap and assume Sticky IS holding a grudge - would it be the lazy defence for the match winning try or the non-pass for what would have been the match winning try?
I dont think there is any grudge. I think Stuart and co feel like maybe with the neck injury and his style, Beej is coming to the end of his prime and given his contractual situation are happier to be out a year too early than 2-3 years too late.

That's how i'd see it anyways.
And again,i may be totally and completely off base. Nothing about this is coming from any inside source (not that i have any :lol: ) , just me sort of reading he tea leaves and following my own logic... which is probably wrong.

The tigers are going to spend that money on a strike weapon, there arent many of them available, and i THINK Beej is very much a fit in terms money, need and availability
That’s how I see it.
I think Ricky likes BJ, but knows it’s too risky to pay him market value at his age and with his injury history.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

Didnt the tigers also sign his younger brother from the dragons? Surely the tigers are considering it.

The way i see it playing out is that they will make a decision just prior to kick off (similar to what happened to Ed Lee and Fensom). This will ensure that we carry his cap until the latest point possible. Not a great outcone for us but pretty standard these days.
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

Yes his brother has joined the Tigers.

We have stated we have the cap space for Joey this year , next year is when we cant afford to keep him , hence we gave him the chance to find a longer contract elsewhere. There were no takers up to this point. Joey may stick around this year to keep earning what he is before he takes a cut to play somehwere else. Clubs dont generally pay big dollars for centres , I think Joey is top class centre along with latrell.

He is in my top 13. He plays centre and Scott spends a year on the wing for mine.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Joey will be 28 this season which is still a players prime.

I hope he stays. We need very little improvement over last year to win the whole thing and I'd rather find that elsewhere than move on a player who is so influential it could have a major impact.
Green Blogger
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Green Blogger »

Curtis Scott is our starting centre this year. The fact that BJ is not on the Sunshine Coast says everything about where he stands with this team as of right now.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

How do you know BJ isnt on the sunshine coast? I hadnt seen him in any pictures and wondered if that was the case. If true that would be very strange
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

FROG wrote: January 16, 2020, 6:04 pm How do you know BJ isnt on the sunshine coast? I hadnt seen him in any pictures and wondered if that was the case. If true that would be very strange
It was reported by The Canberra Times that he was working on getting "load in his legs" in Canberra, after just returning from his honeymoon; rehab group also did not go to the Sunshine Coast.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

We are rumoured to be interested in 3 players from superleague - Wigan’s Morgan Smithies and Oliver Partington, as well as Castleford’s Jake Trueman. Apologies if this has previously been published, but ive just returned from overseas and am still catching up.

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/pa ... for-debut/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Adam Doueihi free to leave Rabbitohs

Latrell Mitchell’s arrival at Redfern is reportedly set to force talented youngster Adam Doueihi out of the club. Wayne Bennett told the 21-year-old on Wednesday that he was free to negotiate with rival clubs despite having two years to run on his contract.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... e0a429716c

We were interested in signing him when he signed his last deal. Probably no longer interested.

Who’s in the market for a new signing? The NRL clubs with spots to fill in their Top 30

Sitting at 28 players, the Raiders have room to play with but their squad is already stacked with big talent and plenty of depth. They’ve welcomed star centre Curtis Scott and upgraded young-gun Harley Smith-Shields from a development contract so are well covered in the outside backs.

It would probably be worth upgrading halfback Matt Frawley from a development contract should injuries hit hard in the halves, especially during the Origin period – assuming Jack Wighton is selected again.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/whos-i ... ea9a5511d9

I think we're actually on 29... unless someone leaves.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=33730&p=1711330#p1711330
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Doueihi looks quality, Titans should snap him up straight away

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

I might be in the minority but I don't think BJ was lazy in defence before the Roosters scored their match winner. I think that play was just an example of how a good old fashioned legs tackle isn't rewarded any longer.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Wiki Special wrote: January 16, 2020, 8:19 pm
I might be in the minority but I don't think BJ was lazy in defence before the Roosters scored their match winner. I think that play was just an example of how a good old fashioned legs tackle isn't rewarded any longer.
Yep, 100% spot on.
Nothing lazy about his play. He made a great legs tackle, and unfortunately in today's game, thats punished. Kudos to the roosters for identifying it , and attacking a 3-2 and executing it perfectly
No one did anything wrong on that play. You cant make a clean legs tackle like that and "win" the ruck... which is wrong but it is what it is.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

I was more concerned with what Sezer was doing on the wing during that match winning play.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Botman wrote: January 16, 2020, 8:24 pm
Yep, 100% spot on.
Nothing lazy about his play. He made a great legs tackle, and unfortunately in today's game, thats punished. Kudos to the roosters for identifying it , and attacking a 3-2 and executing it perfectly
No one did anything wrong on that play. You cant make a clean legs tackle like that and "win" the ruck... which is wrong but it is what it is.
I had to watch again to be sure (and risk gouging my eyes out)- but I'm sure he had a calf issue in the mintes before that, I can't remember if it was a corky or a cramp but I'm half convinced he'd been battling with something. Nothing acute but he may not have been willing/able to get a full sprint back to the line after making the tackle.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

bonehead wrote: January 16, 2020, 6:47 pm Doueihi looks quality, Titans should snap him up straight away

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Doueihi is quality.
If the Bronco's had any sense, they would be looking at him.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

BadnMean wrote: January 16, 2020, 11:58 pm
Botman wrote: January 16, 2020, 8:24 pm
Yep, 100% spot on.
I had to watch again to be sure (and risk gouging my eyes out)- but I'm sure he had a calf issue in the mintes before that, I can't remember if it was a corky or a cramp but I'm half convinced he'd been battling with something. Nothing acute but he may not have been willing/able to get a full sprint back to the line after making the tackle.
He couldnt. After making the legs tackle he is left behind the ruck. If he tries to clear it and return to the line he would more than likely have impeded the attacking team and been sent for 10
Dont delete this GE
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Seems the Raiders' English contingent tried to convince English and St Helens forward Luke Thompson to join the Raiders, but Canterbury Bulldogs lead the race for his signature.
He has also earned tremendous respect among his English Test teammates, with the Canberra Raiders’ Pommy connection in particular trying their hardest to get him to the Raiders.

In the end Canberra simply didn’t have the salary cap space to match the offers elsewhere.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... d0a83ea9ae
He's said to be being offered $700,000 and the Raiders didn't have the cap to sign him. The Titans also in the race, and the New Zealand Warriors have reportedly come in with a big late offer. He's contracted for 2020 to St Helens... and they're reported to be taking the view they won't release him early...
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by MrPosh »

FROG wrote: January 16, 2020, 6:25 pm We are rumoured to be interested in 3 players from superleague - Wigan’s Morgan Smithies and Oliver Partington, as well as Castleford’s Jake Trueman. Apologies if this has previously been published, but ive just returned from overseas and am still catching up.

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/pa ... for-debut/
They're just reading my posts on here.

Thompson will be a tremendous signing for anyone. He stands alongside Papaali in the World XIII front row, for mine.

His kamikaze style means he's an accident and major injury waiting to happen, though. Absolutely no sense of self preservation.