NFL Thread

From cricket to motor sports to wrestling and anything in between

Moderator: GH Moderators

Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Re: NFL Thread

Post by Matt »

reptar wrote: January 14, 2020, 9:27 pm Clowney's interview yesterday said he wants to be at a contender. Most sportsmen will say that, and any side with Wilson has to be a chance, particularly if they do this well even while **** the bed. Be interesting to see where he goes. He was also playing injured most of the season, sports hernia, apparently.
Cowboys need a DL or 2. We will have him for a pie and coke
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Matt wrote: January 15, 2020, 7:44 am
Botman wrote: January 14, 2020, 8:28 pm
Matt wrote: January 14, 2020, 7:54 pm Simmons looks big for a saftey, but definitely has the speed for it.
Yeah someone is going to draft him and they'll officially list him as a Safety or a LB, and ultimately it wont matter, because if he's played the way he should be, it will be as a hybrid who can do a little of both, So his designation isnt super important

the distinction between SS and LB is becoming pretty blurred with how teams are using Nickle packages more as a base. He's going to be in the box making plays in the run game or covering RB/TE inside of the sticks. That's going to be his role. He's excellent in press coverage, he's got enough speed to hang with RB's short term (wheel routes against real speedy RBsmight be a problem if the QB has time to let it develop) and the size to cope with TEs
You can totally see that. Looks as big as Bam Bam Kam in pads - I just checked the numbers and he is an inch taller. Doesnt seem to hit as hard, but looks good too.
Yeah Kam is a great comp for him.
As you said, not as physical as Kam in hitting, but probably a better cover safety. So that's the trade off
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: January 15, 2020, 8:13 am
Matt wrote: January 15, 2020, 7:44 am
Botman wrote: January 14, 2020, 8:28 pm
Matt wrote: January 14, 2020, 7:54 pm Simmons looks big for a saftey, but definitely has the speed for it.
Yeah someone is going to draft him and they'll officially list him as a Safety or a LB, and ultimately it wont matter, because if he's played the way he should be, it will be as a hybrid who can do a little of both, So his designation isnt super important

the distinction between SS and LB is becoming pretty blurred with how teams are using Nickle packages more as a base. He's going to be in the box making plays in the run game or covering RB/TE inside of the sticks. That's going to be his role. He's excellent in press coverage, he's got enough speed to hang with RB's short term (wheel routes against real speedy RBsmight be a problem if the QB has time to let it develop) and the size to cope with TEs
You can totally see that. Looks as big as Bam Bam Kam in pads - I just checked the numbers and he is an inch taller. Doesnt seem to hit as hard, but looks good too.
Yeah Kam is a great comp for him.
As you said, not as physical as Kam in hitting, but probably a better cover safety. So that's the trade off
TBH, in a modern player, its probably a better trait with a pass heavy league.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Antonio Gates is hanging up his cleats. Anyone disagree that this Charger will be a 1st ballot HOFer?
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Luke Kuechley retiring. WOOOOOW
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

We all missed Kevin Stefanski becoming the Brown HC. Former Vikings OC.

Surely this is career suicide?!?
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Matt wrote:Luke Kuechley retiring. WOOOOOW
Shocked. He’s only 28, with 8 years in the league. He implied in his announcement it was due to injuries, and you have to think it’s concussions specifically. He’s earned $60M+ so he’s set. Good for him, but a sad loss to the Panthers none-the-less.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

the bone wrote: January 15, 2020, 12:39 pm
Matt wrote:Luke Kuechley retiring. WOOOOOW
Shocked. He’s only 28, with 8 years in the league. He implied in his announcement it was due to injuries, and you have to think it’s concussions specifically. He’s earned $60M+ so he’s set. Good for him, but a sad loss to the Panthers none-the-less.

Yup. He has shoulder issues too right? Very similar problems to Sean Lee. Shock horror, both are MLBs
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Give me $60m and I'd probably retire too.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Congratulations to the Giants. Well deserving of a round of applause.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

gergreg wrote: January 18, 2020, 12:12 pm Congratulations to the Giants. Well deserving of a round of applause.

Huh?
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com ... nator/amp/

Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

gergreg wrote: January 18, 2020, 12:36 pm https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com ... nator/amp/

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Chiefs have to come from behind, AGAIN, but get it done at home.
The plucky underdog Titoons, go back to Nashville with heads held high.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

27-0 at half time!
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Its an all red SB. Chiefs vs 9ers.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Having a look at the stats, that scoreline is VERY VERY flattering for the Packers. Jimmy G threw is 8 times for 6 completions and 77 yards. 285 rushing yards, and 220 for 9ers Mostert with 4 TDs. WOW!
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

No surprise, but Eli has hung up his cleats. I suspect he will join his brother in Canton at some stage, just off the back of 2 SB wins over the Brady/Bellyache dynasty.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Stay in bounds Sammy
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Well that's it. Would have preferred the 49s... but there you go.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Ok, who gets the your SB MVP?
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Matt wrote: February 3, 2020, 1:03 pm Ok, who gets the your SB MVP?
Pretty easy call to give it to Mahomes.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Mahommes with the 'winning QB MVP award'.
TBH, they almost have to default this coz I couldnt pick a winner.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Have to say I think 49ers lost the game rather than KC winning it. Clock management was terrible for a team up by 10 points in the 4th quarter. They were chewing up the yards on the ground but for some reason they kept going through the air. Only took a couple of incomplete passes and they were under pressure. KC were given a chance and made them pay.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: February 3, 2020, 1:37 pm Have to say I think 49ers lost the game rather than KC winning it. Clock management was terrible for a team up by 10 points in the 4th quarter. They were chewing up the yards on the ground but for some reason they kept going through the air. Only took a couple of incomplete passes and they were under pressure. KC were given a chance and made them pay.
I agree.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

So so **** happy for Andy Reid
I thought that was one of Mahomes worst games, mvp should have been Damien Williams

But who care? A truly incredible, generational Qb and a maligned but brilliant coach just scaled he mountain and I was so happy to see it

Go big red. You’ve earned this and now your legacy is set. A champion in every sense of the world

Philly got their ring and now Andy gets his
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: February 3, 2020, 3:42 pm So so **** happy for Andy Reid
I thought that was one of Mahomes worst games, mvp should have been Damien Williams

But who care? A truly incredible, generational Qb and a maligned but brilliant coach just scaled he mountain and I was so happy to see it

Go big red. You’ve earned this and now your legacy is set. A champion in every sense of the world

Philly got their ring and now Andy gets his
Im happy for both too.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

BIGGGGGGGG RED!

Still so **** pumped for him.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Just watched the game, agree on Williams MVP.

Congratulations to Reid and the chiefs.

the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Really enjoyed that super bowl. Happy for Reid, Mahomes and Chief Kingdom.

I don’t think Shanahan’s clock management was as bad as some are making out. Not calling the timeout before half time was pretty weird but I can somewhat see the strategy... they were trying to shorten the game and limit the number of times mahomes had the ball in his hands. If San Fran took that time out, had a negative play first up, then all of sudden chiefs have the opportunity to get the ball one more time before the half. I don’t necessarily agree but can kind of see the logic.

As for the 3-and-out in the 4th quarter when up by 3... It felt like 49ers had to put points up on that drive, and after the run on first down was stuffed for no gain, I can’t blame Shanahan for being aggressive and opting to pass. They weren’t going to be able defend that 3 point lead.

Also, I’m happy with Mahomes as the MVP... whilst he played one of his worst games for 3.5 quarters, he led the team on the two drives that won the game. The Williams TD was a nice cherry on top, and I don’t think he, nor anyone else was an obvious candidate for MVP... so default goes to the QB with the game winning drive.

Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Another great TE hanging them up in Vernon Davis
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

the bone wrote: February 4, 2020, 4:04 am Really enjoyed that super bowl. Happy for Reid, Mahomes and Chief Kingdom.

I don’t think Shanahan’s clock management was as bad as some are making out. Not calling the timeout before half time was pretty weird but I can somewhat see the strategy... they were trying to shorten the game and limit the number of times mahomes had the ball in his hands. If San Fran took that time out, had a negative play first up, then all of sudden chiefs have the opportunity to get the ball one more time before the half. I don’t necessarily agree but can kind of see the logic.

As for the 3-and-out in the 4th quarter when up by 3... It felt like 49ers had to put points up on that drive, and after the run on first down was stuffed for no gain, I can’t blame Shanahan for being aggressive and opting to pass. They weren’t going to be able defend that 3 point lead.

Also, I’m happy with Mahomes as the MVP... whilst he played one of his worst games for 3.5 quarters, he led the team on the two drives that won the game. The Williams TD was a nice cherry on top, and I don’t think he, nor anyone else was an obvious candidate for MVP... so default goes to the QB with the game winning drive.

That was my take.
Though 2 TDs is often enough to get a game ball, in a SB it's gotta be 3+
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

the bone wrote: February 4, 2020, 4:04 am Really enjoyed that super bowl. Happy for Reid, Mahomes and Chief Kingdom.

I don’t think Shanahan’s clock management was as bad as some are making out. Not calling the timeout before half time was pretty weird but I can somewhat see the strategy... they were trying to shorten the game and limit the number of times mahomes had the ball in his hands.
I didnt have a problem with that in a vacuum, because 59 seconds with the ball in hand and 3 time outs is an absolute age in the NFL, and keeping the three time outs means the middle of the field is wide open for you.

The problem was, they didnt want to score, they really didnt try to score. They didnt use that time at all really, they were content going in 10-10, and that's just now how you win SB's
You've got to ready to cut their throats... the aim there, given they were getting the football in the 2nd half was to take the ball with a 1 minute to go, and the next time Patty Mahomes touches the ball in the 2nd half, he's down 10 at least, if not 14.

The middle 8 minutes of the game are now days the most important... teams now plan around the idea of going bang-bang on back to back possessions and opening huge leads. Shanny blew it imo
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

In hindsight, you can definitely say they should've gone for the throat. But I think Shanahan's explanation is fair:

"They had three timeouts, and it was 10 to 10. The last thing we're going to do there is allow them to get the ball with three timeouts left, especially with their quarterback and the offensive speed, and go down and score before half, Shanahan told reporters after the 49ers lost to the Chiefs, 31-20. "Felt good at 10-10, especially with us starting with the ball [in the second half]."
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

The other thing is, if it weren't for the Kittle OPI call, they were in a position to take some shots at the goal line, and at a minimum get a FG.