From cricket to motor sports to wrestling and anything in between

Moderator: GH Moderators

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by Northern Raider »

Matt wrote: January 10, 2020, 12:32 pm
Northern Raider wrote: January 10, 2020, 11:47 am The way it reads a player could run over the boundary, jump in the air and knock the ball back in to prevent a Six. Doesn't sound right at all.
Thats exactly the rule, and not how anyone believed it to be. Wont be a difficult fix, but a fix is needed.
Now it's been 'exposed' you can expect players to exploit it that way. That's normally the trigger for rule changes.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: January 10, 2020, 2:12 pm
Matt wrote: January 10, 2020, 12:32 pm
Northern Raider wrote: January 10, 2020, 11:47 am The way it reads a player could run over the boundary, jump in the air and knock the ball back in to prevent a Six. Doesn't sound right at all.
Thats exactly the rule, and not how anyone believed it to be. Wont be a difficult fix, but a fix is needed.
Now it's been 'exposed' you can expect players to exploit it that way. That's normally the trigger for rule changes.
100%
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I still don't see why it isn't ruled "caught" if he has a foot on the ground in the field of play and he's got control of the ball in his hand? That's what happened last night.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

greeneyed wrote: January 10, 2020, 2:34 pm I still don't see why it isn't ruled "caught" if he has a foot on the ground in the field of play and he's got control of the ball in his hand? That's what happened last night.
NO IT ISNT!

Renshaw caught it in the field of play.
But as he was falling over the boundary he threw it in the air.
Then having stepped over the boundary, he wasnt supposed to be able to touch it again until he regained his feet in the field of play.
However, he jumped and batted it to Banton.

The fact he jumped in the air is the only reason its out, because he isnt technically grounded outside the field of play. Which wasnt the intention of the rule.

Now...
If Vunivalu jumps from the field of play, catches it, tries to throw it back, and id doesnt make it, so jump again and bats it back, are you going to give a try? He wasnt technically grounded (Yes, Im aware the NRL has actually solved this rule already, but roles reversed?) .
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

greeneyed wrote:I still don't see why it isn't ruled "caught" if he has a foot on the ground in the field of play and he's got control of the ball in his hand? That's what happened last night.
General, the first catch doesn't count - the catch is counted after he bats it in to the other guy

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

But I still don't see why it shouldn't be a catch... he caught the ball and has a foot on the ground. Players catch the ball all the time and then immediately throw it in the air. I don't see a lot of difference.

But given it seems the second bloke is deemed to have caught it... then I agree it is a crazy rule.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

They ground their feet in the field of play before catching it again, or they throw it in before going over the boundary

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

The Cricket Thread

Post by gangrenous »

Matt wrote:
Makaveli wrote: January 10, 2020, 10:39 am That is interesting. I wonder if we'll see a change of out-fielding tactic now.

We are used to seeing players patrol the boundaries and attempt to jump (from inside) if the ball is travelling over their heads. However they are best to leave the field of play (after the ball has been bowled), wait on the outside of the ring, and then jump to bat the ball back into the field of play. Easier said than done though, and of course, you still need someone inside to catch it.
correct
Incorrect - unless your first point of contact is inside the rope still.

“And finally, the Laws also make it clear the player's first contact with the ball must be made inside the boundary.”

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www.cri ... 3fmode=amp

Y’all could have saved yourselves some worry if Matt had read the post before him.
Last edited by gangrenous on January 10, 2020, 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

-TW- wrote:They ground their feet in the field of play before catching it again, or they throw it in before going over the boundary

i think he means in celebration.

how about the Saffa years ago in a WC game against Aus went to catch and throw it up in the air spilt it

edit - hershelle Gibbs 99

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

So a pointless ODI series in India about to commence. Can't say I care all that much, seems odd with no Maxwell, will be interesting to see how Marnus goes. Khawaja has certainly fallen out of the selectors' good books.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

I'm struggling to care about any of it really

The test summer was a flop, they're playing ODIs in India in the middle of January, and then come back for a 3 game series against NZ in footy season.

And bbl.. meh

-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I've been a massive cricket fan forever.

And I can't recall a summer where AUS has left our shores to play games..EVER !!

This is out of the box..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

-TW- wrote: January 12, 2020, 2:06 pm I'm struggling to care about any of it really

The test summer was a flop, they're playing ODIs in India in the middle of January, and then come back for a 3 game series against NZ in footy season.

And bbl.. meh

I really looked forward to this summer. I thought while the Pakis would be avg to poor, the Kiwis should put up a fight. And they barely fired a shot.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

I agree the summer has been a flop, and I have no interest in the big bash league. We are leaving our shores in January because the power in world cricket hardly resides with us anymore. Playing a ODI series once footy season commences is madness, and hardly beneficial for a form of the game where crowds have been dwindling for some years. As usual Cricket Australia have no idea.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

-PJ- wrote: January 12, 2020, 2:51 pm I've been a massive cricket fan forever.

And I can't recall a summer where AUS has left our shores to play games..EVER !!

This is out of the box..
Yeah I love the Jan and Feb day/night ODIs.
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

Stoinis robbed a chance at 150 after blind square leg umpire refuses to call a waist high no ball final delivery

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Look at who are succeeding in the T20, and who aren't in the Aussie side...
Stoinis
Maxy
MMarsh
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Does that say more about them, or the quality of the bbl atm?

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Makaveli wrote: January 12, 2020, 7:42 pm Stoinis robbed a chance at 150 after blind square leg umpire refuses to call a waist high no ball final delivery

#firstworldproblems
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Matt wrote: January 12, 2020, 9:00 pm Look at who are succeeding in the T20, and who aren't in the Aussie side...
Stoinis
Maxy
MMarsh
Despite how good his innings was last night it’s hard to argue for Stoinis in the national side with how out of his depth he was at the World Cup.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

julian87 wrote: January 13, 2020, 6:37 am
Matt wrote: January 12, 2020, 9:00 pm Look at who are succeeding in the T20, and who aren't in the Aussie side...
Stoinis
Maxy
MMarsh
Despite how good his innings was last night it’s hard to argue for Stoinis in the national side with how out of his depth he was at the World Cup.
He is the leading T20 run scorer by 160+ runs. That's crazy stuff
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Again the bowling in the BBL is 4th grade standard.

As Julian said, he's been shown out of his depth numerous times at international level.

Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

-TW- wrote: January 13, 2020, 7:55 am Again the bowling in the BBL is 4th grade standard.

As Julian said, he's been shown out of his depth numerous times at international level.

I agree, however, last night in his 147*, he faced Bird (played for Australia), O'Keefe (played for Australia, and probably should have played more), Curran (Poms) and took these guys at 7.5, 8 and 14.5 respectively (even Henriques rolled his arm over). There was enough international pedigree last night to disagree in regards to that innings. However, the BBL on the whole, yes, is pretty rubbish attacks. Id say Adelaide and Perth have quality attacks, but thats probably it.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Stoinis was rubbish in the world cup and should be banned from the national team for life.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Matt wrote: January 13, 2020, 6:43 am
Stoinis
Maxy
MMarsh
I don’t like Stoinis but that is pretty good.

But Warner and Smith haven’t played a game. And he’s not even going to be considered as a top order player with Warner, Finch, Lynn, Smith and Short about imo.

For t20 he’s too slow a starter to bat anywhere else at the top level too imo. Marsh is better down the order than him.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Stoinis
Maxy
MMarsh
I think it demonstrates the gap between BBL and world standard. The depth isn't really there. That said I think Stoinis issues at international level are more confidence based than technical.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: January 13, 2020, 1:02 pm
Stoinis
Maxy
MMarsh
I think it demonstrates the gap between BBL and world standard. The depth isn't really there. That said I think Stoinis issues at international level are more confidence based than technical.
agreed
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

It also highlights the difference between fast and true Australian pitches compared to many overseas pitches, weather conditions with the Dukes ball.
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

Atta boy Finchy wasting our only review 6 overs in

Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Makaveli wrote: January 14, 2020, 6:32 pm Atta boy Finchy wasting our only review 6 overs in

On a ball that was obviously pitching outside leg
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Bowling has been pretty good though
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Bowling has been really disciplined and relentless. India didn't really get away even when 1 down after 25 overs. Then they slowly worked their way on top (bowling attack that is).

Starc looks a bit tired now but the plans have been good and bowlers have bowled well to them- Zampa to Kohli, Agar's leg stump line in these tight overs, Starc's yorkers.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I can’t see how India has two catches in the opening power play? Have they changed the fielding restrictions?
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

BJ wrote:I can’t see how India has two catches in the opening power play? Have they changed the fielding restrictions?
I'm not watching, do you mean close fielders? Or outside the circle?

BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

-TW- wrote:
BJ wrote:I can’t see how India has two catches in the opening power play? Have they changed the fielding restrictions?
I'm not watching, do you mean close fielders? Or outside the circle?

Two catching fielders in the first 10 overs.