POLL: Strongest 2020 line up: Centres

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Who should partner Jarrod Croker in the centres in 2020?

Joey Leilua
71%
Curtis Scott
29%

Total votes: 35

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

What's your strongest possible 2020 Canberra Raiders line up? That's what were asking the readers of The Greenhouse. We're looking at the "Locks and contenders" for each position in the team in a special series of articles. Some players have clearly locked down their spot but we're looking at all the contenders for places in the Green Machine's top 17. For particularly contentious positions, we're supplementing the discussion with a series of polls... and in the first of those polls, we're asking: Who should partner Jarrod Croker in the centres in 2020? Incumbent Joey Leilua or new recruit Curtis Scott?

Click here to read more: Locks and contenders: Centre

You may have a different view, but we're taking Jarrod Croker to be a "lock".

You have one choice in this poll and you may change your vote.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Re: POLL: Strongest 2020 line up: Centres

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

greeneyed wrote: January 9, 2020, 10:46 am POLL: Strongest 2020 line up: Centres

What's your strongest possible 2020 Canberra Raiders line up? That's what were asking the readers of The Greenhouse. We're looking at the "Locks and contenders" for each position in the team in a special series of articles. Some players have clearly locked down their spot but we're looking at all the contenders for places in the Green Machine's top 17. For particularly contentious positions, we're supplementing the discussion with a series of polls... and in the first of those polls, we're asking: Who should partner Jarrod Croker in the centres in 2020? Incumbent Joey Leilua or new recruit Curtis Scott?

I thought the very definition of a lock was nobody will have a differing view :roflmao

Croker -> wing :cool:
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Leilua is more talented/ physically gifted than Scott. No doubt in my mine. However, and this wont be popular, but...

1. Leilua had a terrible neck injury last yr.
2. Leilua has been shopped around for the past 12 months.
3. Leilua is off contract this season.
4. Leilua's partner in crime is now in Japana (sorry... :lol: ).
5. Scott is unlikely to have signed a 4yr deal to play reserve grade.

IMO, that right edge is being overhauled, so start from scratch, and get those combo's working together ASAP.
So, the right edge I think Ricky will pick is Georgie 'dub-ya', Bateman, Scott, Simmo.
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

BJ every day and twice on Sunday.

and also Leilua to partner Croker in the Centres.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Matt wrote: January 9, 2020, 11:01 am Leilua is more talented/ physically gifted than Scott. No doubt in my mine. However, and this wont be popular, but...

IMO, that right edge is being overhauled, so start from scratch, and get those combo's working together ASAP.
So, the right edge I think Ricky will pick is Georgie 'dub-ya', Bateman, Scott, Simmo.
Stuart may well want to start working on new combos sooner rather than later, but I'm not sure it's fair to say Leilua has been shopped around by the club, or that a player (Scott) has signed a long term deal with any expectation of a guaranteed position.

Based on what has publicly been said, Leilua's manager approached the club seeking an extension (presumably at his current contract value or higher) and the club gave him permission to look elsewhere if a good deal could be found. Essentially the club has flagged we don't have the cap space to retain a centre at such a premium contract value. The club has also said Leilua has a guaranteed spot on the roster this year and he is part of our plans for the season. That's a bit different to being "shopped around" by the club.

I also think it's unlikely Stuart has guaranteed anyone, let alone Curtis Scott, a guaranteed spot in the starting side. That may well be Stuart's ultimate plan, but if I'm playing a grand final right here and now, I know which player I'd prefer to have in my starting lineup.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Joey’s in a class above both of them.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Seiffert82 wrote: January 9, 2020, 11:35 am
Matt wrote: January 9, 2020, 11:01 am Leilua is more talented/ physically gifted than Scott. No doubt in my mine. However, and this wont be popular, but...

Stuart may well want to start working on new combos sooner rather than later, but I'm not sure it's fair to say Leilua has been shopped around by the club, or that a player (Scott) has signed a long term deal with any expectation of a guaranteed position.

Based on what has publicly been said, Leilua's manager approached the club seeking an extension (presumably at his current contract value or higher) and the club gave him permission to look elsewhere if a good deal could be found. Essentially the club has flagged we don't have the cap space to retain a centre at such a premium contract value. The club has also said Leilua has a guaranteed spot on the roster this year and he is part of our plans for the season. That's a bit different to being "shopped around" by the club.

I also think it's unlikely Stuart has guaranteed anyone, let alone Curtis Scott, a guaranteed spot in the starting side. That may well be Stuart's ultimate plan, but if I'm playing a grand final right here and now, I know which player I'd prefer to have in my starting lineup.
I thinks it's safe to say you have been following sport long enough to read the sub text of all of that S82. I have tried to step it out for everyone.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Matt wrote: January 9, 2020, 12:03 pm

I thinks it's safe to say you have been following sport long enough to read the sub text of all of that S82. I have tried to step it out for everyone.
Yep, there is hardly any doubt that our 2021 team will feature 3. Croker and 4. Scott. There is next to no chance Leilua will be here next year, and Scott has obviously signed for 4 seasons with the right centre position on his mind.

However, if the question is what our strongest lineup for 2020 is, I think there is a very fair and reasonable argument for the punters out there to say that Leilua is a better option than Scott. That's not to say the coach agrees, it's just what most people clearly think.

If we are in this comp to win a premiership, Joey Leilua is one of those freakish talents who can get you there. At his best, the guy is untouchable and when his head is screwed on (in the right system), he can be a pretty handy defender too.

His injury is a factor - and that's one of the reasons the club may have moved on from his premium contract in the long term - but if he is fit and firing you'd be nuts not to consider him as your starting right centre.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: January 9, 2020, 10:55 am
greeneyed wrote: January 9, 2020, 10:46 am POLL: Strongest 2020 line up: Centres

I thought the very definition of a lock was nobody will have a differing view :roflmao

Anyone can start their own poll. ;) :cool:
Braddrew
Gary Coyne
Favourite Player: Mark McLinden

Post by Braddrew »

If someone is going to open training session at the Sunshine Coast, can they report if BJ is with the team?
If he’s not at the sunny coast then I’d say he’s gone
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Hmmm... haven’t seen him in any of today’s Instagram Stories of the team travelling. 😱
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

He only got married over the Xmas break, he might be on a honeymoon.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley

greeneyed wrote: January 9, 2020, 12:31 pm
Roger Kenworthy wrote: January 9, 2020, 10:55 am

Anyone can start their own poll. ;) :cool:
It's much easier chiming in with sarcastic comments.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Seiffert82 wrote: January 9, 2020, 12:29 pm

Yep, there is hardly any doubt that our 2021 team will feature 3. Croker and 4. Scott. There is next to no chance Leilua will be here next year, and Scott has obviously signed for 4 seasons with the right centre position on his mind.

However, if the question is what our strongest lineup for 2020 is, I think there is a very fair and reasonable argument for the punters out there to say that Leilua is a better option than Scott. That's not to say the coach agrees, it's just what most people clearly think.

If we are in this comp to win a premiership, Joey Leilua is one of those freakish talents who can get you there. At his best, the guy is untouchable and when his head is screwed on (in the right system), he can be a pretty handy defender too.

His injury is a factor - and that's one of the reasons the club may have moved on from his premium contract in the long term - but if he is fit and firing you'd be nuts not to consider him as your starting right centre.
It has already been proven that defense matters more when it comes to getting to the dance. Part of that is errors, and how you respond/ defend those. Scott is arguably a better defender, and Im not sure, but Im assuming he has a lower error rate (this is a Storm trait).

That BJ X-factor becomes a valuable commodity in finals footy, where 1 magic play is the difference between winning and losing - Tapine's hit that ending in BJs hands and a pass to Bateo, Teddy's short side GF raid down BJs channel, two off the top of my head. Scott doesnt have that play in him IMO.

Raiders have decided that they want the bloke inside, Georgie Williams, to prove that consistently rather than as a 1 off. To do that combos have to work. For that to happen you need time. Therefore do it from Rd 1.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley

Braddrew wrote: January 9, 2020, 1:38 pm If someone is going to open training session at the Sunshine Coast, can they report if BJ is with the team?
It did seem odd we couldn't find money for Rapana but had it for Scott. Maybe the money for Scott is coming from BJ.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: January 9, 2020, 2:56 pm
Braddrew wrote: January 9, 2020, 1:38 pm If someone is going to open training session at the Sunshine Coast, can they report if BJ is with the team?
It did seem odd we couldn't find money for Rapana but had it for Scott. Maybe the money for Scott is coming from BJ.
Not really, all that says is, we couldnt swing what Rapa wanted (500K was the rumour) plus the 30th roster spot.
To buy Scott, Scott and the 30th man is worth less, and cap compliant.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley

Matt wrote: January 9, 2020, 3:13 pm
Roger Kenworthy wrote: January 9, 2020, 2:56 pm
Not really, all that says is, we couldnt swing what Rapa wanted (500K was the rumour) plus the 30th roster spot.
To buy Scott, Scott and the 30th man is worth less, and cap compliant.
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 25a777ca21

We inherited a three-year $1.5 million deal. Or do you think he took a significant paycut to come here? Seriously doubt that myself.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

I don't understand the comparison between Rapana and Scott. Scott's cap spot replaces Leilua in 2021. We obviously just had the funds available this season to carry both of them.

The decision to let Rapana go was because we had Simonsson and Cotric available to cover the wings. Both of whom are young and on the rise, whereas Rapana is 30 and appears to be on the downward slide a little.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley

Seiffert82 wrote: January 9, 2020, 5:32 pm I don't understand the comparison between Rapana and Scott. Scott's cap spot replaces Leilua in 2021. We obviously just had the funds available this season to carry both of them.

The decision to let Rapana go was because we had Simonsson and Cotric available to cover the wings. Both of whom are young and on the rise, whereas Rapana is 30 and appears to be on the downward slide a little.
I wasn't debating the merits of letting Rapana go. Just indicating we may also be shopping BJ around given it looks like we have close to $2 million allocated to centres this year.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Matt wrote: January 9, 2020, 2:54 pm

It has already been proven that defense matters more when it comes to getting to the dance. Part of that is errors, and how you respond/ defend those. Scott is arguably a better defender, and Im not sure, but Im assuming he has a lower error rate (this is a Storm trait).

That BJ X-factor becomes a valuable commodity in finals footy, where 1 magic play is the difference between winning and losing - Tapine's hit that ending in BJs hands and a pass to Bateo, Teddy's short side GF raid down BJs channel, two off the top of my head. Scott doesnt have that play in him IMO.

Raiders have decided that they want the bloke inside, Georgie Williams, to prove that consistently rather than as a 1 off. To do that combos have to work. For that to happen you need time. Therefore do it from Rd 1.
According to NRL.com stats, these are Joey Leilua’s tackle efficiency rates while at the Raiders:

2015 77 per cent
2016 89 per cent
2017 78 per cent
2018 77 per cent
2019 85 per cent

Curtis Scott at the Storm:

2016 82 per cent
2017 84 per cent
2018 82 per cent
2019 78 per cent

Of course 2019 numbers for both players come from less than half a full season (Leilua 12 games, Scott nine)

According to Fox Sports Lab... in 2019...

Joey Leilua (per game)

Errors 0.6
Penalties 0.7
Missed tackles 1.1
Ineffective tackles 0.2
Tackle efficiency rate 88 per cent
Try causes 0.1
Line break causes 0.5

Curtis Scott (per game)

Errors 0.9
Penalties 0.3
Missed tackles 1.1
Ineffective tackles 1.4
Tackle efficiency rate 82 per cent
Try causes 0.7
Line break causes 0.7
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Leilua is clearly the superior player.
Gazman
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Gazman »

Can’t argue with the stats - but without them I would have said Scott over BJ.

As for strongest centre pairing, even though he isn’t in the running JB would be pick 1 - played centre for England!

On a side note, I’m still bummed BJ didn’t pass to Rapa in the GF and deliver our premiership Image

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

I'm pretty happy he passed to John Bateman and delivered our GF.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Seiffert82 wrote: January 9, 2020, 7:54 pm Leilua is clearly the superior player.
Eye tells me Joey is a terror and no amount of planning can guarantee containing him if it.

Stats say the criticisms are overblown.

Save Joey!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Gazman wrote: January 9, 2020, 8:47 pm Can’t argue with the stats - but without them I would have said Scott over BJ.

As for strongest centre pairing, even though he isn’t in the running JB would be pick 1 - played centre for England!

On a side note, I’m still bummed BJ didn’t pass to Rapa in the GF and deliver our premiership Image

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
I’m not sure I’d conclude much based on the 2019 stats. Very few games for both players. Scott had some form issues in 2019 that were not there in 2018. Both impacted by injury and return from injury.

I put the stats up, as Matt asked the question. NRL.com don’t have enough detail in their history, Fox Sports Lab only make the most recent year available.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Seiffert82 wrote: January 9, 2020, 5:32 pm I don't understand the comparison between Rapana and Scott. Scott's cap spot replaces Leilua in 2021. We obviously just had the funds available this season to carry both of them.

yes, position-ally, but financially its this yrs cap and we couldnt fit both
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

greeneyed wrote: January 9, 2020, 7:52 pm
Matt wrote: January 9, 2020, 2:54 pm

According to NRL.com stats, these are Joey Leilua’s tackle efficiency rates while at the Raiders:

2015 77 per cent
2016 89 per cent
2017 78 per cent
2018 77 per cent
2019 85 per cent

Curtis Scott at the Storm:

2016 82 per cent
2017 84 per cent
2018 82 per cent
2019 78 per cent

Of course 2019 numbers for both players come from less than half a full season (Leilua 12 games, Scott nine)

According to Fox Sports Lab... in 2019...

Joey Leilua (per game)

Errors 0.6
Penalties 0.7
Missed tackles 1.1
Ineffective tackles 0.2
Tackle efficiency rate 88 per cent
Try causes 0.1
Line break causes 0.5

Curtis Scott (per game)

Errors 0.9
Penalties 0.3
Missed tackles 1.1
Ineffective tackles 1.4
Tackle efficiency rate 82 per cent
Try causes 0.7
Line break causes 0.7
Good numbers GE.
So historically, Scott is more consistent in making his tackles, even if last yr was pretty even. BJs best yrs coincide with Raiders doing well.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Why can't we vote for Croker, Kris, Oldbeard or even Bateman?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The Nickman wrote: January 10, 2020, 9:44 am Why can't we vote for Croker, Kris, Oldbeard or even Bateman?
You can, by listing them in a team list after this post in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=33789&p=1713732#p1713589
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Joey Leilua, Curtis Scott battling for starting spot: Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart

Raiders coach Ricky Stuart says he's unsure whether Joey Leilua or Curtis Scott will partner co-captain Jarrod Croker in the centres in Rd 1 of the 2020 season.

"That all works itself out. It comes down to training performance at this stage of the year. Sometimes those types of decisions don't come down to coaches or selections. It comes down to the players' performance and contribution."

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/01/10/lei ... ot-stuart/
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

greeneyed wrote:You may have a different view, but we're taking Jarrod Croker to be a "lock".
But he’s never played there?
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

greeneyed wrote: January 10, 2020, 2:47 pm Joey Leilua, Curtis Scott battling for starting spot: Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart

Raiders coach Ricky Stuart says he's unsure whether Joey Leilua or Curtis Scott will partner co-captain Jarrod Croker in the centres in Rd 1 of the 2020 season.

"That all works itself out. It comes down to training performance at this stage of the year. Sometimes those types of decisions don't come down to coaches or selections. It comes down to the players' performance and contribution."

So it's going to come down to training performance and contribution but he didn't take Joey on the training camp...
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

BadnMean wrote: January 12, 2020, 5:21 pm
greeneyed wrote: January 10, 2020, 2:47 pm Joey Leilua, Curtis Scott battling for starting spot: Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart

So it's going to come down to training performance and contribution but he didn't take Joey on the training camp...
I said this at the top of the thread, I think it answers your Q too:

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Leilua could well be on his way out of the club...who knows?

But, I think a 10 day training camp is somewhat irrelevant as there is still 2 months before the season kicks off.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Matt wrote: January 13, 2020, 3:16 pm
BadnMean wrote: January 12, 2020, 5:21 pm

I said this at the top of the thread, I think it answers your Q too:

And I read it.

I'm just not ready to say goodbye to Joey yet.

Where else can we find the kind of maniac who will throw a 15m flick pass while spinning 180 degrees mid tackle - who'll scatter forwards like ninepins whenever we need a charge out of our end - who'll get hit in the eyeball with a banger before a semi final - who'll drift across filled shoving off defenders and then deliver a perfectly timed Thurston level face ball for a Croker try - then drop the knees on a guy who just scored as if 50 000 people and 8 TV cameras won't see it?

#savejoey