Melbourne Storm 2020

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Melbourne Storm 2020

Post by greeneyed »

NRL.com's predicted Storm Round 1 team

1. Ryan Papenhuyzen
2. Josh Addo-Carr
3. Marion Seve
4. Justin Olam
5. Suliasi Vunivalu
6. Cameron Munster
7. Jahrome Hughes
8. Jesse Bromwich
9. Cameron Smith
10. Nelson Asofa-Solomona
11. Felise Kaufusi
12. Kenny Bromwich
13. Dale Finucane

14. Brandon Smith
15. Tui Kamikamica
16. Tino Fa'asuamaleaui
17. Thomas Eisenhuth

Others: Sandor Earl, Harry Grant, Cooper Johns, Albert Vete, Christian Welch, Ryley Jacks

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/01/02/mel ... cted-team/
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Re: Melbourne Storm 2020

Post by zim »

That's one of the worst looking melbourne sides we've seen in quite a long time. Top 4 certainties.
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

Based off Queensland Cup form last year, Harry Grant won't be far off an NRL debut.

Ryley Jacks is a plodder but is a better option at halfback than Hughes.

Top 4
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Yeah Hughes isn’t a halfback and never will be imo.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Clearly a top 8 side, but Hughes is a terrible halfback. Surely they go with Jacks.

If Addo-Carr joins Vunivalu in the departure lounge, that backline is starting to look pretty bloody ordinary.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Seiffert82 wrote: January 9, 2020, 11:49 am Clearly a top 8 side, but Hughes is a terrible halfback. Surely they go with Jacks.

If Addo-Carr joins Vunivalu in the departure lounge, that backline is starting to look pretty bloody ordinary.
Munster can go either way. Not quite a half who you know you'll get quality from every week. I still worry when I see his name on a sheet against us, as he can be excellent. But at the same time I'm getting more and more comfortable we'll get the goods from Jack.

Same on Hughes. Maybe he's a bench utility. Not a starting half. Not in a top side.

I expect the Storm to kick to Seve and Vunivalu often this year. They are both whoppers and good in the air. Good targets who the new rule will suit to a tee. That will stretch defences to allow Papenhuyzen some room to chime in on a straighter angle as the halves or Smith drift across shaping to kick. Good vs us too as none of our back 3 are especially noted in the air as high flyers.

They'll be heavily reliant on an ageing Smith's wiles holding up and Papenhuyzen delivering the creative spark week in week out. I'd expect teams to be giving Papenhuyzen the treatment this year. At 80kg it could be a tough year.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

BadnMean wrote: January 9, 2020, 12:33 pm
Seiffert82 wrote: January 9, 2020, 11:49 am Clearly a top 8 side, but Hughes is a terrible halfback. Surely they go with Jacks.

Munster can go either way. Not quite a half who you know you'll get quality from every week. I still worry when I see his name on a sheet against us, as he can be excellent. But at the same time I'm getting more and more comfortable we'll get the goods from Jack.

Same on Hughes. Maybe he's a bench utility. Not a starting half. Not in a top side.

I expect the Storm to kick to Seve and Vunivalu often this year. They are both whoppers and good in the air. Good targets who the new rule will suit to a tee. That will stretch defences to allow Papenhuyzen some room to chime in on a straighter angle as the halves or Smith drift across shaping to kick. Good vs us too as none of our back 3 are especially noted in the air as high flyers.

They'll be heavily reliant on an ageing Smith's wiles holding up and Papenhuyzen delivering the creative spark week in week out. I'd expect teams to be giving Papenhuyzen the treatment this year. At 80kg it could be a tough year.
Yep, agree with all that. In Munster, you have a high quality playmaker but he is not a controlling half and he can also lose his **** under pressure. If Smith is out (for whatever reason) there is a lot of pressure on him to both take the reigns of the team and create opportunities for his outside backs. His kicking game is critical for them.

I also agree with Papenhuyzen and was going to say something a bit similar. He is dynamite around the ruck, but he is also a small frame and could be in for another season of punishment.

They have some really good quality players across the park but they are not as physically or mentally robust as previous seasons, nor do they have the depth. They are no longer a team that can just grind you out of the contest these days. In attack, they rely on individual brilliance as much as any team in the comp and if you get under their Smith's skin he can lose the plot a bit nowadays.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

@matt
Jason Ryles has left the coaching staff. It's all failing apart mate.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

I find myself falling into the old trap of thinking they're going to crumble...
Think I might tip them to finish outside the top 4 when we all do our predicted ladders.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Just saw on Instagram the Storm have signed Brenko Lee.

Melbourne Storm sign former Canberra Raiders back Brenko Lee

Melbourne Storm has added to its backline depth for the 2020 NRL season by signing Brenko Lee to a one-year contract.

The 24-year-old comes to Storm with 53 games of NRL experience on his record after making his debut with the Canberra Raiders in the 2014 season.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/01/23/sto ... renko-lee/
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Nice work brenko.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

He signed with East's Tigers before Xmas, assume the storm gave him a train and trial for preseason.

Can't see him featuring a great deal but still pretty good to be picked up in their squad

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Good to see Brenko sign on

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Melbourne Storm forced to move home game as COVID-19 outbreak hits Victoria

The Melbourne Storm have been forced to move their next home game to Sydney (Round 7 V Warriors) due to the COVID-19 outbreak in Victoria. The club is also in discussions about what the outbreak will mean for them moving forward however it is not clear yet whether they will be forced to relocate on a more permanent basis.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... aeee6e4213
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

COVID-19 update: Melbourne Storm

The Round 7 Telstra Premiership match between the Melbourne Storm and the New Zealand Warriors on Friday night will be relocated from AAMI Park in Melbourne to Netstrata Jubilee Stadium in Sydney.

The Apollo team made the determination today to ensure the health and safety of the players, staff and wider community given the spike in COVID-19 cases in Victoria.

The Storm will fly to Sydney later this week to complete preparations. All Storm players and football staff will undergo COVID-19 tests to ensure no risk to the competition prior to Friday night’s game.

NRL Acting CEO Andrew Abdo thanked the Storm club, players and staff for the sacrifice they will make over this period.

“I want to thank the Melbourne Storm players for putting the game ahead of their personal circumstances. What I’m most proud about this year is that every obstacle we have faced the game has banded together to reach an outcome in the best interests of the overall competition,’’ he said.

“It was important to take decisive action not only in the best interest of our players and staff, but the broader community. We have shown that if there is even the slightest risk of infection we won’t hesitate to reschedule or relocate games.”

NRL media release
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

How come they can play this at kogarah at the drop of a hat but we can't play in Canberra?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Storm prepare for 'indefinite' relocation as COVID-19 shifts Warriors clash

Melbourne players are preparing to relocate for an indefinite period after Victoria’s recent spike in COVID-19 cases caused the NRL to shift Friday’s home clash against the Warriors to Sydney.

"We've braced for the potential that we might need to relocate and potentially play some of our home games in Queensland or NSW," Welch said. "It's still developing at the moment, we're just waiting to see what happens."

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/06/22/cov ... ors-clash/
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Dr Zaius wrote: June 22, 2020, 6:47 pm How come they can play this at kogarah at the drop of a hat but we can't play in Canberra?
Kograh had already been nominated to take the Campbelltown games this weekend due to the playing surface looking like it had just hosted the Normandy landing.