Health and fitness

The social club of The Greenhouse

Moderator: GH Moderators

How healthy and happy are you?

Super healthy = Could trial for the Raiders
6%
Moderately healthy = I've got a six pack or at least I am trying to
34%
Slightly healthy = I eat junk and healthy stuff but I do walk (sometimes)
28%
Unhealthy = The only six pack I've got is for drinking
28%
Extremely unhealthy = Just don't ask
4%

Total votes: 53

Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: Health and fitness

Post by Coastalraider »

Dr Zaius wrote: December 2, 2019, 10:05 pm
Coastalraider wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote: December 2, 2019, 7:20 pm
EJ wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote:Yeah I'm not a fan of ocean swimming cause of those shadows.
How is your UTA training going Doc?

I've still got eyes on it but am not even on the waitlist yet. Should prob make a decision by end of the year

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Not doing anything specific at the moment mate, just maintaining my current level of fitness which is reasonable with the plan to step it up in the new year. At the moment aiming to go the gym twice a week for some weights, bootcamp three times a week, parkrun for some short distance speed work {and intervals afterwards if not too hot} and a 20-30km trail on Sunday.
Are you in for the 100 Doc? I’m working on Potentially doing the 50. Want to do my first Ultra next year as I’m not doing Ironman.
Yeah doing the 100. Did kokoda this year, 96km and the same elevation. Did that pretty easily, but as a group event we were running at the groups pace and I wasn't pushing myself. I signed up for the Coastal High 50km in Sept but it was burnt out. The organisers gave people the option of earning their medal through a 50km virtual race {run your own course, log it on Strava). 40km into a solo 50km trail run and I was questioning my sanity. I've gone from pfft, it's just another kokoda, to **** am I thinking.
Yeah it’s easy to ‘undersell’ a challenge isn’t it! I remember my second marathon I thought I would just roll out and trot around - after all
‘I had just done and Ironman’.... at about 20k I remember this crap is still bloody hard! There’s always a moment of realisation for me, when it goes from the theoretical to the real and it hits home - I remember going to the finish line on the Saturday of Ironman this year, and it triggered some memory form the year before - and it was like a light switch turned on and I suddenly remembered How deep you have to dig to finish race day. It’s quite sobering :roflmao
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Coastalraider wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote: December 2, 2019, 10:05 pm
Coastalraider wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote: December 2, 2019, 7:20 pm
EJ wrote:How is your UTA training going Doc?

I've still got eyes on it but am not even on the waitlist yet. Should prob make a decision by end of the year

Not doing anything specific at the moment mate, just maintaining my current level of fitness which is reasonable with the plan to step it up in the new year. At the moment aiming to go the gym twice a week for some weights, bootcamp three times a week, parkrun for some short distance speed work {and intervals afterwards if not too hot} and a 20-30km trail on Sunday.
Are you in for the 100 Doc? I’m working on Potentially doing the 50. Want to do my first Ultra next year as I’m not doing Ironman.
Yeah doing the 100. Did kokoda this year, 96km and the same elevation. Did that pretty easily, but as a group event we were running at the groups pace and I wasn't pushing myself. I signed up for the Coastal High 50km in Sept but it was burnt out. The organisers gave people the option of earning their medal through a 50km virtual race {run your own course, log it on Strava). 40km into a solo 50km trail run and I was questioning my sanity. I've gone from pfft, it's just another kokoda, to **** am I thinking.
Yeah it’s easy to ‘undersell’ a challenge isn’t it! I remember my second marathon I thought I would just roll out and trot around - after all
‘I had just done and Ironman’.... at about 20k I remember this crap is still bloody hard! There’s always a moment of realisation for me, when it goes from the theoretical to the real and it hits home - I remember going to the finish line on the Saturday of Ironman this year, and it triggered some memory form the year before - and it was like a light switch turned on and I suddenly remembered How deep you have to dig to finish race day. It’s quite sobering :roflmao
Haha probably like child birth. Bloody hurts at the time, but the thrill of it dampens the pain in your memory. Until next time.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

I find running in general is like that, even 5km. When I'm about the 2-3km mark at Parkrun I'm thinking to myself "I never want to do this again", but then straight afterwards I feel great.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Well I’m packing the camp trailer for one last hurrah in 2019 -
I’ve got an Olympic tri at Callala in Saturday, so I’m taking the family away for 4 days at the beach :thumbsup

Looking at the fire map, it’s about the only spot in the nsw coast that isn’t on fire, so it looks like the place to be :D

It’s been a bloody big year for racing.

2x olympic triathlons with a pb
1 ultimate triathlon - middle distance
2x 70.3 ironman with a pb
1 x full Ironman with a pb
1 stand alone marathon with a pb
3x 10-15k fun runs
3 x fondo cycling events 90k+
A 45k mtb race
2x ocean swims

Bloody hell thats huge when I actually write it out.

Wait - I also did a marathon relay....
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Bloody hell!
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

That’s a lot of distance covered!! Especially when you factor in all the training too
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Sid wrote: December 5, 2019, 8:31 pm That’s a lot of distance covered!! Especially when you factor in all the training too
Sure is. I’ll post up the annual numbers in a few weeks. -
But currently nearly 7000 ks on the nine alone :woot:
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

You're an absolute **** mental patient, Nicko.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Wowser.

Spent most of yesterday in Nowra hospital with my mother - she had a turn when we were setting up camp yesterday. Turned out to be really bad dehydration, and we got released about midnight last night. I was really close to not racing today, but I forced myself out of bed, and just did a 12 second pb.... what a f*****g year.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Drop her round at PJs place. He's good with the elderly.

Damn... long run day and it's really smokey in Canberra so I'll have to give it a miss. Should have gone long yesterday in hindsight.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

PJ is a hydration guru

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Geez I don't think we should be talking about my hydration in the health and fitness thread.. :)

@ Coastal..when ya old girl makes a full recovery send her up here to LakeMac.

I've someone for her to meet.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Coastalraider wrote:
Sid wrote: December 5, 2019, 8:31 pm That’s a lot of distance covered!! Especially when you factor in all the training too
Sure is. I’ll post up the annual numbers in a few weeks. -
But currently nearly 7000 ks on the nine alone :woot:
That’s almost the distance from Canberra to Perth and back. Nuts!
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Coastalraider wrote: December 5, 2019, 6:55 pm Well I’m packing the camp trailer for one last hurrah in 2019 -
I’ve got an Olympic tri at Callala in Saturday, so I’m taking the family away for 4 days at the beach :thumbsup

Looking at the fire map, it’s about the only spot in the nsw coast that isn’t on fire, so it looks like the place to be :D

It’s been a bloody big year for racing.

2x olympic triathlons with a pb
1 ultimate triathlon - middle distance
2x 70.3 ironman with a pb
1 x full Ironman with a pb
1 stand alone marathon with a pb
3x 10-15k fun runs
3 x fondo cycling events 90k+
A 45k mtb race
2x ocean swims

Bloody hell thats huge when I actually write it out.

Wait - I also did a marathon relay....
machine
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Man this smoke really sucks. Last few weeks I've had to resort to the treadmill and there is nothing more boring than treadmill running. I've still been lucky enough to have clear weekends to do a 10k on the trails but looking awful for this weekend. I might have to go to the gym tomorrow.

Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

gergreg wrote: December 21, 2019, 8:35 am Man this smoke really sucks. Last few weeks I've had to resort to the treadmill and there is nothing more boring than treadmill running. I've still been lucky enough to have clear weekends to do a 10k on the trails but looking awful for this weekend. I might have to go to the gym tomorrow.

Yeah it’s really bad up here too. I think we have had one day in about a month without some sort of smoke haze. Lots of garage time.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

I haven't been for a run in over a month, the air has just been far too bad

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

greeneyed wrote: December 21, 2019, 1:46 pm Canberra air quality index seven times above 'hazardous' level: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14225

https://www.health.act.gov.au/about-our ... ting-air-0
How do I embed a video from my phone GE? I got a great one on Thursday from on the Hawkesbury where you can hardly see either bank.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Coastalraider wrote: December 21, 2019, 2:28 pm
greeneyed wrote: December 21, 2019, 1:46 pm Canberra air quality index seven times above 'hazardous' level: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14225

How do I embed a video from my phone GE? I got a great one on Thursday from on the Hawkesbury where you can hardly see either bank.
You need to load the video onto YouTube and then put the link to that between the YouTube code. Or you could make a gif on giphy.com and then put the URL between image code... can only put in a short extract.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

That was Belconnen yesterdayImage

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

People will be able to see how bad it is in Canberra shortly, if the Big Bash game goes ahead. I'm certainly not going outside... we hit 41C, now 38C... and then there's the thick smoke.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

greeneyed wrote: December 21, 2019, 2:40 pm
Coastalraider wrote: December 21, 2019, 2:28 pm

You need to load the video onto YouTube and then put the link to that between the YouTube code. Or you could make a gif on giphy.com and then put the URL between image code... can only put in a short extract.
Tried the giphy URL but doesn’t seem to work mate?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I grabbed the URL, but cannot see the gif as it says you have set the gif to "private".

With giphy.com, once you create, you need to select share... and copy in the URL from the box. The URL you need will have a .gif at the end.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

I have been wearing my welding helmet with respirator (CIG) around the streets, seriously.
This place is woke.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Yay!!!! This is in the Hawkesbury on Thursday.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

That's incredible!
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

It cleared up a little this arvo and I was keen to go out for a quick run - I don't actually mind running in the heat too much - but I double checked the Air index and it was still very high. I don't think it took into account that it had cleared up a bit, but really not worth the risk. I'll just do an hour on the treadmill at the gym tomorrow.

I should add that my heart goes out to those families that are suffering during these fires. My smoke haze pity party is pretty insignificant really. Stay safe everyone.

Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Last Tuesday I did a tempo run early while the smoke was rolling down the hill from the Mangrove fires, and then jumped in the water for a quick ocean swim- by the time i turned for hone you could taste the air. The rest of the day I had a sore chest, and I’ve had a cold/cough ever since. Did my first training today since then.

I didn’t think I was pushing that hard, but I set 3 heart rate records in that run, purely due to air quality.

Don’t risk it.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Health and fitness

Post by greeneyed »

The smoke cleared to allow the cricket to start tonight... you should see it rolling in now on Fox 501.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

I came home from a run in the mountains a few weeks ago reeking of smoke. It wasn't bad in Sydney that day, bit one of the fires up there was still out of control and the thick smoke was being held in the valley more or less which I ran down into.

Last week same run I could look across the valley and actually see the fire burning under Mt. Solitary.

Have run a few times when I definitely shouldn't have. I've had my saliva get super thick from what I assume you be particulate accumulation.

But I've seen people running in Sydney on the worst days when my eyes sting from the smoke and if I don't wear a mask I get a headache and feel sick by the arvo.

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Well I'm getting very frustrated. Down in Canberra for the break and have been looking forward to coming down here for the latter part of the year to run a few trails that I've mapped out. Was hoping to get a lot of training done. It stinking hot in the middle of the day, so thats a no go. Either end of the day the smoke is currently terrible. I got one run in, but it's not looking promising for the rest of my time here, so instead I'm sitting around eating.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Dr Zaius wrote:Well I'm getting very frustrated. Down in Canberra for the break and have been looking forward to coming down here for the latter part of the year to run a few trails that I've mapped out. Was hoping to get a lot of training done. It stinking hot in the middle of the day, so thats a no go. Either end of the day the smoke is currently terrible. I got one run in, but it's not looking promising for the rest of my time here, so instead I'm sitting around eating.
Yeah it's pretty annoying. It's been this way for the best part of the last 3 or 4 weeks. I'm heading to the gym today for a boring hour on the treadmill because I haven't run in a week.

Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

gergreg wrote: December 29, 2019, 9:48 am
Dr Zaius wrote:Well I'm getting very frustrated. Down in Canberra for the break and have been looking forward to coming down here for the latter part of the year to run a few trails that I've mapped out. Was hoping to get a lot of training done. It stinking hot in the middle of the day, so thats a no go. Either end of the day the smoke is currently terrible. I got one run in, but it's not looking promising for the rest of my time here, so instead I'm sitting around eating.
Yeah it's pretty annoying. It's been this way for the best part of the last 3 or 4 weeks. I'm heading to the gym today for a boring hour on the treadmill because I haven't run in a week.

Yep, it’s been a rough summer for adventures. I had a grand plan to ride the convict trail in the holidays - looks like I’m not getting anywhere near that for a few months as it’s right on the front of the Gospers fire. The air has cleared up here, so I’m getting heaps of Ks on the bike, but first ride back I hurt the back of my knee which means I can’t run - also had plans to run the Boudhi trail:thumbsdown
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

What did you do to your knee - hyper-extend? I just did a 5k on the treadmill - good to shake off some Christmas pudding and test out my new hokas.