POLL: Canberra Raiders 2010s Team of the Decade: Wingers

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Who should be the wingers in the Canberra Raiders Team of the 2010s?

Reece Robinson
3%
Daniel Vidot
1%
Blake Ferguson
9%
Sandor Earl
2%
Edrick Lee
2%
Jordan Rapana
50%
Nick Cotric
35%

Total votes: 113

greeneyed
Don Furner

POLL: Canberra Raiders 2010s Team of the Decade: Wingers

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders 2010s Team of the Decade: Wingers

It has been 10 years since The Greenhouse voted on the Canberra Raiders Team of the Decade - for the 2000s. Back in 2009, Ken Nagas and Phil Graham were voted Canberra Raiders Wingers of the 2000s. Now it is time to vote on the Wingers of the 2010s!

Here are the nominees:

Reece Robinson

Reece Robinson made 83 first grade appearances for the Canberra Raiders, with 56 of them starting on the wing, and the remainder at fullback. He was a South Sydney Rabbitohs junior, but he made his NRL debut with the Brisbane Broncos in 2008. He was released at the end of that season by Brisbane, and played with the North Sydney Bears in the NSW Cup in 2009. He was picked up by the Raiders in 2010, and he played five seasons with the Green Machine. He subsequently played with the Parramatta Eels and Sydney Roosters, as well as the NSW Waratahs in rugby union. He the Indigenous All Stars in 2013 and played four finals matches on the wing for the Raiders (2010, 2012). He scored 43 tries and three goals, for a total 178 points in green.

Daniel Vidot

Daniel Vidot played 45 NRL games over three seasons with the Canberra Raiders, all on the wing. Brisbane born, Vidot played in the National Youth Competition with Canberra in 2008-2009, playing centre in the 2008 NYC Grand Final victory. He made his NRL debut in the Round 18 clash with the Newcastle Knights in 2009, playing eight games in his rookie season. Vidot was Canberra's highest try scorer in 2010 (16), and he played two finals matches in that season. However, he played a good deal of Queensland Cup with the Souths Logan Magpies in 2011 and he headed to the St George Illawarra Dragons in 2012. While with the Raiders, he scored 27 tries for a total 108 points.

Blake Ferguson

Blake Ferguson played 60 games for the Canberra Raiders after joining the club from the Cronulla Sharks in 2011. He played 30 of his matches in green on the wing. He scored a total of 36 tries and 14 goals for Canberra - with 13 of those tries on the wing. He was the club's top try scorer in both 2011 and 2013. He represented the Indigenous All Stars, NSW Country and the NSW Blues while at the Raiders. He left the club in controversial circumstances, charged with indecent assault after his Origin debut, and then walking out on his contract at the end of 2013. He played two finals matches for Canberra in 2012, both at centre.

Sandor Earl

Sandor Earl joined the Canberra Raiders from the Penrith Panthers mid season in 2012. He was born in Wellington, New Zealand, but grew up in Sydney's eastern suburbs and debuted with the Sydney Roosters in 2009. He only played three games for the Roosters and was released at the end of 2009. He was signed by the Panthers in 2010 and was their Rookie of the Year in that season. He only played 16 games with the Panthers, however, ruled out for much of 2011 with a shoulder injury. He made 29 appearances in total in green, all on the wing, after debuting for Canberra in Round 17 of 2012 against the Dragons. He announced he would depart the club at the end of 2013, to play rugby union in France - but he became embroiled in the investigations into the use of performance enhancing drugs in Australian sport. He was stood down from the NRL at the end of August 2013, and suspended for four years, after admitting to offences while at the Panthers. He was the only player suspended for a lengthy period, despite widespread doping programs run at other NRL and AFL clubs. Earl scored 17 tries, and a total of 68 points for Canberra - and appeared in two finals matches in 2012.

Edrick Lee

Edrick Lee made 67 first grade appearances for the Canberra Raiders, all but three on the wing - with three at centre. Lee was Brisbane born, and came to the Raiders via the Souths Logan Magpies. He joined Canberra's National Youth Competition team in 2011 - and went on to make his NRL debut in Round 12 of 2012 against the South Sydney Rabbitohs. His 2013 and 2014 seasons were disrupted by injury. He broke his arm in the Round 13 clash with the Broncos in 2013, ruling him out for the rest of the year - while he spent most of 2014 on the sidelines, after he tore ligaments in his foot in the Round 3 match against the Titans. He was a regular member of the 2015 and 2016 teams, but was released at the start of the 2017 season to the Cronulla Sharks. He represented the Queensland Under 20s and Indigenous All Stars (2016) while with the Raiders. He scored 33 tries for 133 points in green - and appeared in three finals matches for Canberra (2016). Unfortunately, he produced two critical knock ons in the 2016 Preliminary Final loss to the Storm - his last game for Canberra.

Jordan Rapana

Jordan Rapana was a Gold Coast junior and made his NRL debut with the Titans in Round 18 of 2008. After playing just three first grade games he headed on a religious mission, which disrupted his football career. He moved to Canberra in 2013, and ended up playing with the Queanbeyan Blues in the Canberra Raiders Cup. He was signed by the Green Machine in the middle of 2013 - making his debut in green at fullback in the Round 22 2014 in the clash with the Eels, six years after his last NRL match. He made 113 appearances for Canberra, all but five on the wing... with four in the No. 1 jersey and one at centre. He was a regular in 2015 and struck up a partnership with centre Joey Leilua. They were the most lethal outside backs combination in the NRL in 2016, becoming known as "Leipana". Rapana broke the club record for most tries (23) in 2016 - backing up to score 21 in 2017. He was named Dally M Winger of the Year in 2017 - having been unjustly overlooked in the previous season. He scored a total of 69 tries (276 points) for Canberra - and made six finals appearances for the club, including the 2019 Grand Final. While with the Raiders, he played 11 Tests for the New Zealand Kiwis (2016-2018). He parted with the club at the end of 2019, joining a Japanese rugby union team.

Nick Cotric

Nick Cotric is a Canberra Raiders junior, coming through the ranks from the Valley Dragons. He was named the National Youth Competition Centre of the Year in 2016 and played for the Australian Schoolboys. He made a surprise NRL debut in Round 1 of 2017, and he never looked back. He was named the NRL Rookie of the Year in 2017. He has now played 70 first grade matches for Canberra, the bulk on the wing. He played five games at fullback in 2018, covering for a suspended Jack Wighton. He also played eight games at centre in 2019, after Joey Leilua suffered a serious neck injury. He has played in three finals matches for Canberra, including the 2019 Grand Final - and made his debut for the NSW Blues (1) and Australian Kangaroos (2) in 2019. He also represented in the Prime Minister's XIII in 2018. Cotric has scored a total of 32 tries for Canberra.

You have TWO votes in this poll. You may change your vote.

See the list of all the Canberra Raiders players of the 2010s... and the results of the polls as they unfold: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=33793
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Re: Canberra Raiders 2010s Team of the Decade: Wingers

Post by The Nickman »

These are all just lay-down misères, aren't they?
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Anyone not picking Rapa is kidding themselves.

As for the 2nd winger, IMO, its a toss up between Ferguson and Cotric. Both have the ability to impact the game with individual brilliance. Now, Ive ultimately gone for Cotric, because he has similar rep honours, more games, and because I think Fergie played better in the centres than the wing, and of course, no douche bag factor.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

The Nickman wrote: December 13, 2019, 12:50 pm These are all just lay-down misères, aren't they?
I suspect when we get into the lock, backrow and prop it will be more interesting. Because there are a few more options and a few double ups.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Fergo did play some great footy, and Edrick's positives are forgotten now, but it is another pretty easy one.
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

Cotric vs Fergo is a tight one, however being an absolute tosser has to count for something so Cotric gets my vote.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Yeah, I was almost going to go Fergo over Cotric as I think he was better at his peak, but the douchebag factor played its part.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

All the wingers on the list had their outstanding moments and times when I got great joy out of Robinson burning someone, big Eddie stretching out in the clear, Sandor's "Rugby LEAGUE!! Oh stop it, it's starting to hurt!!" Rabs moment, Vidot's yards and Fergo winning us a few games off his brutal running.

But Rapana produced magic on the regular, plus absurd amounts off efforts and courage even when half the team was playing rubbish. His standards didn't drop. Ever. He's in.

Cotric has had 2 outstanding years and one very good year (watching the replays of 2019, he was far better than most gave him credit for when he played this year, jees he set a high bar previously). A far better all round package as a winger than anyone else on this list bar Rapa. Talent, strength, spark in attack, good yards game, good hands, excellent defender, good temperament. There's a reason he's in Origin.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

BadnMean wrote: December 13, 2019, 6:46 pm All the wingers on the list had their outstanding moments and times when I got great joy out of Robinson burning someone, big Eddie stretching out in the clear, Sandor's "Rugby LEAGUE!! Oh stop it, it's starting to hurt!!" Rabs moment, Vidot's yards and Fergo winning us a few games off his brutal running.

But Rapana produced magic on the regular, plus absurd amounts off efforts and courage even when half the team was playing rubbish. His standards didn't drop. Ever. He's in.

Cotric has had 2 outstanding years and one very good year (watching the replays of 2019, he was far better than most gave him credit for when he played this year, jees he set a high bar previously). A far better all round package as a winger than anyone else on this list bar Rapa. Talent, strength, spark in attack, good yards game, good hands, excellent defender, good temperament. There's a reason he's in Origin.
Yes, I thought back today on some of those highlights. Rapana and Cotric are the obvious choices. But I too thought back to some of those memories. What a perfect blue sky day that was in 2012, the finals game against the Sharks. Rugby league... rugby league! I remember one try Daniel Vidot scored in one match against the Knights... about 27 Newcastle players came over in cover to try and stop him scoring, but he still managed to. Some good memories there.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

I thought ferg did his best work at center for us
Dont delete this GE
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

I went for Rapa and Robbo. Robbo more for nostalgic reasons. He had a couple of beast seasons when we were **** ordinary and who could forget that try against the Dragons

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

greeneyed wrote: December 13, 2019, 6:57 pm
BadnMean wrote: December 13, 2019, 6:46 pm All the wingers on the list had their outstanding moments and times when I got great joy out of Robinson burning someone, big Eddie stretching out in the clear, Sandor's "Rugby LEAGUE!! Oh stop it, it's starting to hurt!!" Rabs moment, Vidot's yards and Fergo winning us a few games off his brutal running.

Yes, I thought back today on some of those highlights. Rapana and Cotric are the obvious choices. But I too thought back to some of those memories. What a perfect blue sky day that was in 2012, the finals game against the Sharks. Rugby league... rugby league! I remember one try Daniel Vidot scored in one match against the Knights... about 27 Newcastle players came over in cover to try and stop him scoring, but he still managed to. Some good memories there.
Was going to get behind BadnMean's post (spot-on!) but had to comment on yours too, GE - mostly because of the Vidot reference.

A mate sent that vid to me earlier today and it was an insane finish. We'd never have seen the end of it if GI or someone had've done it. Vidot was so good in that first full season. Then he stunk it up to the point where being in the reserve grade for the WWE actually seems like a pretty good achievement.

Removing the bad stuff, Fergo was excellent for us but I liked him most at centre. If we're being honest, his best on-field form puts him right up there for centres over the last two decades.

This is actually a pretty good list. Sandor was a fave for a bit, Reece was deceptively good for a period (though mostly at fullback, I reckon) and Eddie's contribution will always be lessened by the Sharks final but he was awesome for a while too.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Raps and Cotric head and shoulders above the rest of the pack, with Ed leading the trailing pack. Shame he's now mostly remembered for his last game with us despite being a very decent winger here in general and constantly on the cusp of rep selection. We still haven't replaced his speed.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Raps. Cotric v Fergo. A coin toss. I'm going Fergo.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

The hill I’ll die on is that Dan Vidot had the tools to be the best winger in the world if he had even 2 points of RL iq to rub together

He was fast, strong, great in the air, brilliant finisher, a beast taking hit ups coming off your own line. He was a good defender when he had his head in the game. But he never seemed that committed and his brain fades were far too common

Physically though. Man.. He could have been special.

Cotric and Rapana are the clear cut choices here
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

simo wrote: December 13, 2019, 8:12 pm I thought ferg did his best work at center for us
Agreed
He was a really good winger for us, but his best years as a winger have been at other clubs
He was dominant for us at centre for a period there
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

If Vidot had Cotric's intelligence he would've had 10-15 Origins under his belt, definitely.

Pity he had a crayon stuck up his nose for the entirety of his career.
yurithe1
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by yurithe1 »

afgtnk wrote: December 14, 2019, 9:03 am If Vidot had Cotric's intelligence he would've had 10-15 Origins under his belt, definitely.

Vidot played brilliantly before Furner forced him to switch sides of the field. That ruined him because he couldn't adjust.

I had a sentimental moment where I nearly picked Earl, but the reality is that he wasn't around long enough and was planning to leave anyway. Cotric has now matched his time here, gotten rep honours, and will be a great on-going player.

Picking Rapana was a no-brainer. I'm glad he's taken time out to play Union. It will give him time to recover physically (assuming he doesn't try to stick himself in amongst the forwards in general play) and extend his career in whichever code he decides to finish up in.
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: December 14, 2019, 8:37 am The hill I’ll die on is that Dan Vidot had the tools to be the best winger in the world if he had even 2 points of RL iq to rub together

He was fast, strong, great in the air, brilliant finisher, a beast taking hit ups coming off your own line. He was a good defender when he had his head in the game. But he never seemed that committed and his brain fades were far too common

Physically though. Man.. He could have been special.

Cotric and Rapana are the clear cut choices here
I'll happily join you on that hill.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

afgtnk wrote: December 14, 2019, 9:03 am If Vidot had Cotric's intelligence he would've had 10-15 Origins under his belt, definitely.

:roflmao
Poor Ralph... I mean Daniel
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

yurithe1 wrote: December 14, 2019, 10:38 am

Vidot played brilliantly before Furner forced him to switch sides of the field. That ruined him because he couldn't adjust.
Yeah, I always found his complete meltdown due to changing sides really odd. He also had a few off-field issues too, didn’t he? EDIT
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Like his rap video at belco bus interchange

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

-TW- wrote:Like his rap video at belco bus interchange

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: POLL: Canberra Raiders 2010s Team of the Decade: Wingers

Post by greeneyed »

Poll declared. All the results so far: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=33793&p=1712110#p1712110