From cricket to motor sports to wrestling and anything in between

Moderator: GH Moderators

-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by -PJ- »

That test match had it all.

Of course there was Laxman and Dravid but there was plenty more..

Adam Gilchrist became the first AUS batsman to get a king pair. 2 first ball ducks. His 2nd innings dismissal was lbw to Tendulkar..Tendulkar took another wicket as well. Matthew Hayden made scores of 97 and 67. Steve Waugh made a first innings century, our good mate Harbhajan Singh took 13 wickets for the match including a hat trick.

I still remember it well, what a game of test cricket.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Geez I need to keep up to speed on what's happening.

I've just found out this first AUS v NZ test from Perth is a day/night get together..wow.

Us poor souls on the east coast are in for some late nights.

First ball at 4pm in Sydney.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

I love cricket being on at 11pm at night

I'm a huge fan of day/night test cricket, and soon it will have to be the new norm if the game wants to survive

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

-PJ- wrote: December 6, 2019, 11:28 am Geez I need to keep up to speed on what's happening.

I've just found out this first AUS v NZ test from Perth is a day/night get together..wow.

Us poor souls on the east coast are in for some late nights.

First ball at 4pm in Sydney.
yup, midnight finishes will be tough
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Calcutta 2001... amazing test match and series. The reason to this day the aussies (and most teams) are generally reluctant to enforce the follow on. The Chennai test that followed was also a cracker. Mark Waugh almost stole it for us with an amazing catch at the death

It was also the series where Hayden made his name. He single handedly kept us in the series with his batting. Ponting had a shocker of a series at no 6. Gilchrist got a king pair (some dodgy umpiring) following on from an amazing 100 in the first test.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

QLD knocked over for 240. Conway with 5 for, AND, a 4 wicket maiden. W,0,W,W,0,W. Nice 6 balls. Double WOW.

Tassie knocked over for 254. Milenko 100 at 7.

WA vs Vic is going to be abandoned for a dangerous pitch.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

-PJ- wrote: December 6, 2019, 11:17 am That test match had it all.

Adam Gilchrist became the first AUS batsman to get a king pair. 2 first ball ducks. His 2nd innings dismissal was lbw to Tendulkar..Tendulkar took another wicket as well. Matthew Hayden made scores of 97 and 67. Steve Waugh made a first innings century, our good mate Harbhajan Singh took 13 wickets for the match including a hat trick.

That hat trick is a joke btw.

The Indian umpire triggered Gilchrist. Harbhajan bowling over the wicket to a left hander pitched it 6 inches outside leg stump and he inside edged it😂
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

julian87 wrote: December 7, 2019, 7:34 pm
-PJ- wrote: December 6, 2019, 11:17 am That test match had it all.

That hat trick is a joke btw.

The Indian umpire triggered Gilchrist. Harbhajan bowling over the wicket to a left hander pitched it 6 inches outside leg stump and he inside edged it😂
Let's not forget Shane Warne hit a bump ball into the ground and got given out. :lol:
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

No surprises the umpire in that test match was also Indian.

He was celebrating each time he put the finger up, like literally beaming with joy.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

I don't think he knew the LBW law to be honest. Pretty much hit the pad --> out.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

This should get you pumped up for the Aussie vs Kiwi Test series.
Some great statistical matchups.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/cricket/au ... jsYj23lUBQ
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

I'm hearing Trent Boult has been ruled out..
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

-PJ- wrote: December 12, 2019, 11:04 am I'm hearing Trent Boult has been ruled out..
Good news for us.

Fox article suggests as much: https://www.foxsports.com.au/cricket/au ... fef8c4a538
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

It would be awesome if our players knew how to review

How come every time we get someone out LB, they review, and now Burns doesnt and he wasnt out

Idiots
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Makaveli wrote: December 12, 2019, 4:15 pm It would be awesome if our players knew how to review

How come every time we get someone out LB, they review, and now Burns doesnt and he wasnt out

Idiots
Watching live it looked plumb. Not so much on replay. I can understand both umpire giving it and Burns not reviewing. Both were still wrong.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: December 12, 2019, 5:20 pm
Makaveli wrote: December 12, 2019, 4:15 pm It would be awesome if our players knew how to review

Idiots
Watching live it looked plumb. Not so much on replay. I can understand both umpire giving it and Burns not reviewing. Both were still wrong.
Yup. Looked plum live. I had my finger up
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

Why is the run rate so s***

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

New Zealand have bowled real well

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Steve Smith in his element here. He thrives when the game is played in the trenches. He'll back his own patience to outlast the bowlers.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Yes Marney

Get in son

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Unbelievable stuff from Labuschagne. He Bradbury'd his way into the team during the Ashes and not looked back since.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Northern Raider wrote: December 12, 2019, 8:43 pm Steve Smith in his element here. He thrives when the game is played in the trenches. He'll back his own patience to outlast the bowlers.
Ok that ones on me
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Northern Raider wrote:
Northern Raider wrote: December 12, 2019, 8:43 pm Steve Smith in his element here. He thrives when the game is played in the trenches. He'll back his own patience to outlast the bowlers.
Ok that ones on me
Couldn't get going, very scratchy 40 odd

Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

Drop Smith

Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Still give the day to the aussies I think, largely thanks to Labulicious.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Aussies:

Burns unlucky on review, but looked plum live.
Warner found a way to chip a full toss back to Wagner, after looking very comfortable.
Smith actually fell for a trap, which was weird to watch. As was watching how scratchy he looked at the crease.
Wade left one that hooped 3 feet into his off stump. Whats worse, it swung from the hand, so was easy to pickup.

Labu looked a million buck from ball 1. Feet moving, bat flowing through the ball. Barely a false shot (did have a couple late, where he didnt pickup the ball, and heat fatigue would have been setting in).

Head looks like a bloke that hasnt batted for a while. Very scratchy, but typical of him. Will hit one clean as, then flirt with one outside off stump that he definitely shouldn't have. Ok, some of that comes down to the pink ball too. But thats how he plays.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Kiwis:

Ferguson, took an over or 2 to get to top speed. TBH, didnt think he looked that threatening. Then got a calf injury and didnt return.
Southee, like Jimmy Anderson last he was here, looks at least a yard slower, maybe more. Bowled tight, but didnt look threatening til the last hour.
Wagner, this bloke bustles in, and is all effort. I wanna say he has a bit of Merv about him... as long as you remember he isnt a big guy, nor an imposing mo, and despite a few facial reactions, doesnt look a talker or eye baller. Does love the short stuff though, which was Mervs go.
De Grandhomme, well, when you only bowl 120km/hr, you better bowl perfect line and length. He did a good job of it. Bowled very tight, but didnt threaten, even if he did get Burns. A very Kiwi bits and pieces allrounder.
Santer, well, looks an avg spinner IMO. Not a lot of turn, but looks like he can bowl long tight spells. Another Kiwi dibbily dobbler allrounder.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

De Grandhomme and Wagner have been my favorite 2 players for some time now. Was good to see them perform well over here tbh. CDG will have to shoulder Ferguson’s load now. They need to knock us over for less than 400 and go big first innings to big to be a shot here.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

julian87 wrote: December 13, 2019, 9:31 am De Grandhomme and Wagner have been my favorite 2 players for some time now. Was good to see them perform well over here tbh. CDG will have to shoulder Ferguson’s load now. They need to knock us over for less than 400 and go big first innings to big to be a shot here.
I think CDG will revel in the added responsibility. Kiwis can cover the loss of Ferguson far better than the Poms were able to cover losing Anderson in the 1st Ashes test.

The match is well and truly in the balance now, although Aussies have a slight advantage. A couple of early wickets will tip it the other way. 1st hour will be critical for both teams.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: December 13, 2019, 11:37 am
julian87 wrote: December 13, 2019, 9:31 am De Grandhomme and Wagner have been my favorite 2 players for some time now. Was good to see them perform well over here tbh. CDG will have to shoulder Ferguson’s load now. They need to knock us over for less than 400 and go big first innings to big to be a shot here.
I think CDG will revel in the added responsibility. Kiwis can cover the loss of Ferguson far better than the Poms were able to cover losing Anderson in the 1st Ashes test.

The match is well and truly in the balance now, although Aussies have a slight advantage. A couple of early wickets will tip it the other way. 1st hour will be critical for both teams.
Not sure they can cover Ferguson strike, even if they can cover his overs. Those are 2 different things. Both CDG and Wagner are workhorse type bowlers. They will run in all day without complaint. TBH, it might not affect Wagner, at least not til very late in the day. However, CDG isnt getting more dangerous with overs. The more they bowl in that heat though, eventually it will take an effect.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Its official, Ferguson has a calf tendon strain that will prevent him from bowling. He can bat though.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Matt wrote: December 13, 2019, 12:00 pm
Northern Raider wrote: December 13, 2019, 11:37 am

Not sure they can cover Ferguson strike, even if they can cover his overs. Those are 2 different things. Both CDG and Wagner are workhorse type bowlers. They will run in all day without complaint. TBH, it might not affect Wagner, at least not til very late in the day. However, CDG isnt getting more dangerous with overs. The more they bowl in that heat though, eventually it will take an effect.
Any time you lose a front line bowler you're attack is weakened. That's a captain obvious situation. It comes back to how much impact that loss has.

Look at it this way. If you had to lose one of Southee, Ferguson and Wagner which would you choose?
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Marnus out for 143. This is following Warner for 43 and Smith for 43. Head currently on 40 would love to hit a boundary right now.
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

Is it just me or does Head always seem to make a 30 or 40 and then get out

Not a fan of him in the team
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

Whats worse, giving Raval his first test wicket or waste 80 balls doing so