All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

NRL announces rule changes for trainers, endorses challenge system

Post by zim »

NRL announces rule changes for scrums, trainers, 20/40 kick, endorses challenge system

The NRL has announced a range of rule changes for the 2020 season relating to scrums, trainers and tackling players off the ground while also introducing a 20/40 kick.

NRL CEO Todd Greenberg and head of football elite competitions Graham Annesley announced the changes on Friday after the moves were approved by the ARL Commission on Thursday.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/12/06/nrl ... ge-system/
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Re: NRL announces rule changes for scrums, trainers, 20/40 kick, endorses challenge system

Post by Makaveli »

"The NRL has announced a change to the "mutual infringement" rule regarding incidents when the ball strikes a trainer or the referee. Previously, the loose head and feed would be awarded to whichever team "the attacking team (i.e. with territorial advantage)".

Under the new rule, the referee will be able to replay the previous play-the-ball in the event of play being irregularly affected by circumstances out of the players' control."

Bit late.
zim
Laurie Daley

Re: NRL announces rule changes for scrums, trainers, 20/40 kick, endorses challenge system

Post by zim »

I'm not a fan of the 20/40 at all. The defensive team has put in a great kick and defended really well for 5 tackles only to have that entire effort taken away by 1 play.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

20/40 is a stupid rule! May as well change the entire thing to, if you can find touch 60m from the place of the kick, you get the ball back.

3 places to take scrums... I think this is potentially dumb too. However, with any luck, a few of the more creative coaches will design some actual attacking set plays from it.

Being tackled in the air is banned, no matter who initiates contact... well, this will get interesting.

Infringement rule, well, better late than never.

Trainer time to be reduced. Again, better late than never.

Captains challenge... this too will get interesting.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

I don't mind 20/40 and it won't come up much. Most of the time teams get pinned on their line it's because the opposition is leaving early and is offside anyway.

3 places for the scrum is good. Anything to add some variety in attack is good for mine.

Tackled in the air is a sensible decision but it will create a lot of controversy at times.

Infringement rule is good but what matters is the other part about keeping the trainers off the field.

I'm not a fan of Captains challenge, it will slow down the game and I don't trust that the VR will really get it right often enough on decisions which will be line ball.

Overall I don't see much which will change the game a great deal. I reckon they should focus on consistently enforcing the existing rules, especially in the finals vs regular season, instead of inventing new ones.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Constantly enforcing the existing rules !!!

That's the bit a like ed.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

And limiting the time trainers can be on the field has drastically reduced Allan Langers tv time..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

I'm just glad the GP points system didn't get voted in

That was the dumbest of the lot

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

zim wrote: December 6, 2019, 11:06 am I'm not a fan of the 20/40 at all. The defensive team has put in a great kick and defended really well for 5 tackles only to have that entire effort taken away by 1 play.
This.

How completely ridiculous.

And where are the rule changes impacting wrestling?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Regarding the trainers interfering with play, I’d rather a penalty goes to the opposition. There is really absolutely no excuse for a trainer to interfere with play.

I’m not sure if the #SixAgain problem has been fixed... but replaying the previous play the ball would make most sense in that situation. Maybe their intention is that is fixed by the “challenge”.

The thing with scrums... a completely unnecessary change which unnecessarily complicates the game. Set it in one place, I don’t care too much where.

20/40... unnecessary tinkering.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

"Over 20,000 fans responded to an end-of-season survey, more than tripling the response to the 2018 online survey.
Probably all Raiders fans.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Is this the first time the NRL has announced big new rule changes and the fans of the game have collectively shrugged and gone, "Why?" to most of them?
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Outside of the trainer and tackled in the air the rest seem like made for tv rules

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

BadnMean wrote: December 6, 2019, 12:27 pm Is this the first time the NRL has announced big new rule changes and the fans of the game have collectively shrugged and gone, "Why?" to most of them?
Have we ever heard a fan say... "I really wish that my team could set the scrum in the middle of the field rather than the edge of the field!"

Or "I really wish my team had the option of a 20/40 kick, as well as a 40/20!"
Zip Zip
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Zip Zip »

I don’t mind the 20/40. I don’t see it as being introduced to negate good defensive sets, I see it as a tactical option. Scrum on the 20, down by 8 with 5 minutes left? Try a 20/40.
"Look sorry if that came across wrong, I was just referring to the jokes we were making about all the desperate guys who chase you. Hope to catch up some time, but if not best of luck with everything."
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

zim wrote: December 6, 2019, 11:06 am I'm not a fan of the 20/40 at all. The defensive team has put in a great kick and defended really well for 5 tackles only to have that entire effort taken away by 1 play.
Yup - that's a disgusting rule.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Nothing like introducing a stack of new rules at once and then complaining about the quality of refereeing.

Let the games begin. :lol:
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Seiffert82 wrote: December 6, 2019, 1:27 pm Nothing like introducing a stack of new rules at once and then complaining about the quality of refereeing.

"We are constantly looking at ways to ensure the game is easier to officiate, and is also innovative and unpredictable," Greenberg said
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: December 6, 2019, 1:29 pm
Seiffert82 wrote: December 6, 2019, 1:27 pm Nothing like introducing a stack of new rules at once and then complaining about the quality of refereeing.

"We are constantly looking at ways to ensure the game is easier to officiate, and is also innovative and unpredictable," Greenberg said
It's **** ridiculous. Just spend a season trying to properly enforce the existing rules and guidelines...including the existing policy about trainers etc.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Zip Zip wrote: December 6, 2019, 1:11 pm I don’t mind the 20/40. I don’t see it as being introduced to negate good defensive sets, I see it as a tactical option. Scrum on the 20, down by 8 with 5 minutes left? Try a 20/40.
Combine that with being able to move the scrum to the middle of the field to open both sides up and we might see it successfully used how they expected once.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

I think the 20/40 rule could work in our favour. Hodgo isn't too bad with kicking them. No changes to the 1:1 strip rule, which is good to see
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
kona_dream
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by kona_dream »

The 20/40 rule I don't like, this has the possibly to become like union with to much kicking.
The offensive tackled in the air rule. I predict will become a nightmare by the mid point of the season which will see a "interpretation" change by the end of the season. So if you put a kick into the air in the in-goal you can't tackle the player until he touches the ground. So just jump and make sure you land headfirst with your arms outstretched. This will be an issue of was the player being tackled or going for the ball.
The 3 area scrum will become another delay to the game. I can't see the 5 second rule being enforced. The scum will be awarded, Cam Smith will be on the other side of the field have to walk over wait he will wait the 5 seconds and then tell the ref he wants to pack the scum in the middle of the field. So they all walk over to the middle of the field.
Old School Green
Dean Lance

Post by Old School Green »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: December 6, 2019, 1:36 pm I think the 20/40 rule could work in our favour. Hodgo isn't too bad with kicking them. No changes to the 1:1 strip rule, which is good to see
I suspect they will be quite difficult to kick. Usually if you are pinned you're coming off your line. 40/20's as they stand tend to come off the back of quick play the balls, a kicker with space and angle. If you're pinned in 20 or even 10, getting the time, the space, the angle to produce such a kick would be pretty infrequent. Plus the fact an opposing fullback is just sitting back reading the tea leaves as his defensive line is swarming. I think it's pretty unlikely this will be anything other than a lifeline for desperate teams in desperate situations.
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
I was there. Go the Milk !!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: NRL announces rule changes for trainers, endorses challenge system

Post by greeneyed »

ARLC pushed for captain's challenge after fan feedback

Finer details of the captain's general-play challenge system will be finalised in February after NRL head of football Graham Annesley confirmed the change would occur following recommendation from the Australian Rugby League Commission.

"The challenge system has come from the Commission," Annesley said on Friday. "We are working on the details now, the Commission have decided it's an innovation they want to introduce to take pressure off the referees.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/12/06/arl ... -feedback/

VIDEO: Annesley explains reasons behind rule changes: Head of Football Graham Annesley explains the reasons why the NRL changed several rules which will be implemented in the 2020 NRL Telstra Premiership season: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/12/06/rul ... ouncement/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

It is worth watching the video. It looks like the "challenge" is the mechanism to address #SixAgain... and worth noting the Commission itself initiated it... and driven by fan feedback.

It was particularly interesting that 90 per cent of respodents to the fan survey wanted trainers on the field less... and trainers will no longer be allowed to loiter on field. No more coaching on the field.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Can’t believe they chose these rule changes over wrestling and ruck interpretations.

Annesley has proven farcically hopeless in this role.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

BJ wrote: December 6, 2019, 4:24 pm Can’t believe they chose these rule changes over wrestling and ruck interpretations.

The officials came up with absolutely nothing to address #SixAgain by the looks. It took the Commission to do "something".
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Old School Green wrote: December 6, 2019, 1:49 pm
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: December 6, 2019, 1:36 pm I think the 20/40 rule could work in our favour. Hodgo isn't too bad with kicking them. No changes to the 1:1 strip rule, which is good to see
I suspect they will be quite difficult to kick. Usually if you are pinned you're coming off your line. 40/20's as they stand tend to come off the back of quick play the balls, a kicker with space and angle. If you're pinned in 20 or even 10, getting the time, the space, the angle to produce such a kick would be pretty infrequent. Plus the fact an opposing fullback is just sitting back reading the tea leaves as his defensive line is swarming. I think it's pretty unlikely this will be anything other than a lifeline for desperate teams in desperate situations.
Theyll be bloody easy to kick. You’ll have 40 meters of sideline to aim for with no wingers or fb in position.
Dont delete this GE
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Old School Green wrote: December 6, 2019, 1:49 pm
Yeah, I reckon this could be a bit of a non-event. It's much more likely that an over-enthusiastic defence gets penalised than the attacking team managing to squeeze out a 40 metre touchfinder under pressure.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Immediate thoughts based on this thread before I read through to understand these changes properly:

* There were two main rule changes that were mandatory based on the grand final, and it sounds like they’ve both been botched!
* First of all trainers - you reset the play?! No you penalise the trainer’s team! Even with this rule in the grand final instead of Raiders having the ball in open field we get Roosters having last tackle again?! **** that for a joke. If I’m the Roosters trainer what’s the incentive for me not to have a crack at the ball?
* #6again - so the challenge system is supposed to address this? How? I’ll have to watch the video because I can’t fathom how that fixes the scenario.
* 20/40 - as others have said. Not a fan. Too much importance on kicking.
* scrums - meh
* captains challenge - keen to see how this goes. I’ve been keen for this change.
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

Whats the idea of the scrum rule , next you will be allowed to play the ball in 3 spots. Why are they making this change? where are the complaints where the scrums take place?

20/40 rule is also dumb , a good defensive set and then the kicker smashes the ball blinly down field they get a bounce and they then gain advantage by a fluke.

Our game leaders are like little toddlers on red cordial , they cant sit still and leave anything alone
Raidersteve
Noa Nadruku

Post by Raidersteve »

greeneyed wrote: December 6, 2019, 4:25 pm
BJ wrote: December 6, 2019, 4:24 pm Can’t believe they chose these rule changes over wrestling and ruck interpretations.

The officials came up with absolutely nothing to address #SixAgain by the looks. It took the Commission to do "something".
I know it won't happen this way but I could see an argument for the unnatural interupt of the play being used for the 6again situation. If the ref screws as royally as he did then realised what he had done in changing a call which unnaturally affected the way the team played he should be able to replay of the tackle.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

gangrenous wrote: December 6, 2019, 5:21 pm
* There were two main rule changes that were mandatory based on the grand final, and it sounds like they’ve both been botched!
* First of all trainers - you reset the play?! No you penalise the trainer’s team! Even with this rule in the grand final instead of Raiders having the ball in open field we get Roosters having last tackle again?! **** that for a joke. If I’m the Roosters trainer what’s the incentive for me not to have a crack at the ball?
* #6again - so the challenge system is supposed to address this? How? I’ll have to watch the video because I can’t fathom how that fixes the scenario.
It is absolutely incredible that the NRL has come up with this rule. It is what should happen if the ball touches the referee or spectator etc on the field. But a trainer interfering with play should OBVIOUSLY result in a penalty to the opposition. But no, not for the NRL!

It won't fix #SixAgain... it will take the pressure off the referee and NRL, that's all. It's a pressure valve... and it just means that there'd likely be video review of the incident. I suppose at least it would have allowed the Raiders to re-set, due to the delay.

The NRL hasn't done anything to clarify the rule which prevents referees changing their decisions.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Raidersteve wrote: December 6, 2019, 5:29 pm
greeneyed wrote: December 6, 2019, 4:25 pm

I know it won't happen this way but I could see an argument for the unnatural interupt of the play being used for the 6again situation. If the ref screws as royally as he did then realised what he had done in changing a call which unnaturally affected the way the team played he should be able to replay of the tackle.
I was thinking they might possibly use the rule that way, but listening to the Annesley press conference, it doesn't seem to be what they're intending. It was simply the ball touching the referee, a trainer or another object (eg camera) or pitch invader.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

LimeGreenMachine wrote: December 6, 2019, 5:23 pm Whats the idea of the scrum rule , next you will be allowed to play the ball in 3 spots. Why are they making this change? where are the complaints where the scrums take place?
The coaches were the ones driving it. Another opportunity for their "tactics". The coaches are the worst for unneeded tinkering.