2019 in review - Tom Starling

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

This is the twenty fourth instalment of 2019 in review. As usual, now the Raiders' season is over - the best for 25 years - we are reviewing all 26 players who pulled on a green jersey in first grade this year. So far, we've looked at Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad, Nick Cotric, Jarrod Croker, Joey Leilua, Jordan Rapana, Jack Wighton, Aidan Sezer, Josh Papalii, Josh Hodgson, Sia Soliola, John Bateman, Elliott Whitehead, Joe Tapine, Bailey Simonsson, Emre Guler, Corey Horsburgh, Dunamis Lui, Siliva Havili, Ryan Sutton, Hudson Young, Sam Williams, Michael Oldfield and Sebastian Kris.

Tom Starling made three appearances for the Canberra Raiders in first grade in 2019 from Round 12 to 14, all on the bench. He was on a development contract this season - and was brought into the team while Josh Hodgson was on the sidelines with a fractured thumb. He needed special permission from the NRL to play first grade before 30 June. But he won't need that next year, if called upon, because he's been added to the top 30 squad for 2020. He'd only played one NRL match before this year, with his former club, the Newcastle Knights in the final round of 2018.

Starling took on the role of dummy half cover for Siliva Havili in his three games, averaging just under 20 minutes per game.

"I am taking it week by week. It was good to get 20 minutes under my belt on the weekend so hopefully will build on that," he said after making his debut in green against the Bulldogs. "Whenever Ricky needs me again, I’ll be ready to go."

"I rate Josh Hodgson in the top three hookers to ever play so to have him here, I’m just like a sponge. We also have Mick Ennis down here too so I am licking my lips at the opportunity down here to continue building on my game."

I rated him an average of 5/10 over his three matches. His best NRL game came in the Round 13 win over the Wests Tigers. In that game he made two dummy half runs for 19 metres, one tackle break, 17 tackles and posted 89.5 per cent tackle efficiency. Obviously, it is difficult to make too much of his NRL season statistics, but it is worth noting he averaged just under 10 metres per carry and had a tackle efficiency rate of 91 per cent. He made 20 appearances for Mounties in NSW Cup, scoring six tries and producing nine try assists. He also posted five offloads; an average of 82 running metres and 24 kicking metres per game; and 91 per cent tackle efficiency.

Starling was the smallest player in the NRL in 2019, with the 21 year old standing at 170cms and weighing in at 82kgs. That makes his defensive statistics all the more impressive - and he's already shown he can make an impact running from dummy half. Clearly, he's a depth hooker at present, but he's young and has plenty of time to develop.

How did you rate Tom Starling's 2019? Tell us below.

Tom Starling's 2019: 3/10

2019 Statistics: (Stats from Fox Sports Lab)
Games: 3
Average minutes: 19.3
Tries: 0
Try assists: 0
Try contributions: 0
Total try involvements: 0
Total kicks: 0
Kick metres: 0
Average kicking metres per match: 0
40/20’s: 0
Forced drop outs: 0
Kicks dead: 0
Kick errors: 0
Total runs: 5
Dummy half runs: 5
All run metres: 48
Average metres per carry: 9.6
Average metres per game: 16
Tackle breaks: 2
Offloads: 0
Line breaks: 0
Line break assists: 0
Tackles: 34
Average tackles per game: 11.3
1 on 1 tackles: 3
Missed tackles: 0
Average missed tackles per game: 0
Tackle efficiency: 91 per cent
Try causes: 0
Line break causes: 0
Errors: 0
Penalties conceded: 0
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Re: 2019 in review - Tom Starling

Post by Matt »

Another tough one to really score, but happy to go with 3 overall and 5 for on field play.
Looks a 'jack in the box' type hooker, and certainly hits harder than you would expect. Definitely earnt his top 30 upgrade, even if it is as hooker #3.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

1/10, did he play more than ten minutes all season?
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Impossible to fairly rate, but he didn't look out of place out there. Obviously has a great attitude and is mentally quite tough playing his role at that size.

Didn't watch enough Mounties games to get a real feel for how valuable he is to our squad.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

The Nickman wrote: December 5, 2019, 11:04 am 1/10, did he play more than ten minutes all season?
He played at total of 58 mins.

Regards,
Dubby
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Hilarious human being 8/10

Football wise 3 maybe?

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Limited game time but had a real crack when on the field. Very quick from dummy half. Much smaller than our 2 main hookers. Just needs more experience in FG which he is unlikely to get at the Raiders. He will fill the FG role should we need to call on him. 3/10 based on low minutes.
yurithe1
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by yurithe1 »

Needs to bulk up a bit more if he's going to play more minutes per game.

I know we're supposed to only take his NRL season into account, but I liked what I saw of him in the pre-season games.

I'd give him a 4.
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).