What's your strongest possible Canberra Raiders 2020 line up?

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

I know its still early, but the Raiders are already on record saying that they are out of the market now to start 2020. So what is your strongest 17 to start 2020?

I will add the 'expert' 17s as they are posted.

GH confirmed Raiders roster: https://www.thegh.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5023
Raiders official website roster: https://www.raiders.com.au/teams/
NRL confirmed Raiders roster: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/11/04/202 ... all-teams/

Clarkey's Strongest 17 for 2020: https://www.facebook.com/clarkeys.rl.co ... 58/?type=3
edwahu

Re: Strongest 17 for 2020

Post by edwahu »

CNK, Scott, BJ, Toots, Cotric, Jack, G.Williams, Papa, Hodgo, Sia, Whitehead, Bateman, Tapine
Bench: Simo, Horse, Guler, Young

Pretty standard except Young, but I prefer one backrower on the bench and when he isn't been an idiot I do think he is in our best 17.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

"Clarkey's" is the "joke" one.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

I don't think we'll hit round 1 like this (player workloads, fitness, suspension etc) but strongest 17:

1. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
2. Nick Cotric
3. Jarrod Croker (c)
4. Joey Leilua
5. Curtis Scott
6. Jack Wighton
7. George Williams
8. Josh Papalii
9. Josh Hodgson (c)
10. Sia Soliola
11. John Bateman
12. Elliot Whitehead
13. Joseph Tapine

14. Bailey Simonsson
15. Hudson Young
16. Emre Guler
17. Corey Horsburgh
Last edited by zim on December 4, 2019, 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

edwahu wrote: December 4, 2019, 12:34 pm CNK, Scott, BJ, Toots, Cotric, Jack, G.Williams, Papa, Hodgo, Sia, Whitehead, Bateman, Tapine
Bench: Simo, Horse, Guler, Young

Pretty standard except Young, but I prefer one backrower on the bench and when he isn't been an idiot I do think he is in our best 17.
Im all for this too
Dont delete this GE
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

Bailey Simmonsen or Curtis Scott would be 18th man for me. I'm going with Havilli on the bench.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

IMO
1. CNK
2. Cotric
3. Croker
4. Scott
5. Simmo
6. Jack
7. Good Will
8. Papa
9. Hodgo
10. Sia
11. Bateo
12. Whitey
13. Tarps

14. BJ
15. Guler
16. Horse
17. Sutton

18. Lui
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

zim wrote: December 4, 2019, 12:35 pm I don't think we'll hit round 1 like this (player workloads, fitness, suspension etc) but strongest 17:

2. Nick Cotric
3. Jarrod Croker (c)
4. Joey Leilua
5. Curtis Scott
6. Jack Wighton
7. George Williams
8. Josh Papalii
9. Josh Hodgson (c)
10. Sia Soliola
11. John Bateman
12. Elliot Whitehead
13. Joseph Tapine

14. Bailey Simonsson
15. Hudson Young
16. Emre Guler
17. Corey Horsburgh
Damn that’s a strong lineup.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

zim wrote: December 4, 2019, 12:35 pm I don't think we'll hit round 1 like this (player workloads, fitness, suspension etc) but strongest 17:

2. Nick Cotric
3. Jarrod Croker (c)
4. Joey Leilua
5. Curtis Scott
6. Jack Wighton
7. George Williams
8. Josh Papalii
9. Josh Hodgson (c)
10. Sia Soliola
11. John Bateman
12. Elliot Whitehead
13. Joseph Tapine

14. Bailey Simonsson
15. Hudson Young
16. Emre Guler
17. Corey Horsburgh
I like this team a lot, but I'd put Ryan Sutton in, instead of Hudson Young. That's my bet for Round 1, with Hudson having to serve another 4-5 weeks suspension. He has to earn his way back into firsts for mine.

I'm tempted to put Ryan Sutton in at starting prop, as that's when he delivers his best, and Sia can lead the young forwards off the bench.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

I forgot about sutton! I enjoy this
Dont delete this GE
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

greeneyed wrote: December 4, 2019, 7:37 pm

2. Nick Cotric
3. Jarrod Croker (c)
4. Joey Leilua
5. Curtis Scott
6. Jack Wighton
7. George Williams
8. Josh Papalii
9. Josh Hodgson (c)
10. Sia Soliola
11. John Bateman
12. Elliot Whitehead
13. Joseph Tapine

14. Bailey Simonsson
15. Hudson Young
16. Emre Guler
17. Corey Horsburgh
I like this team a lot, but I'd put Ryan Sutton in, instead of Hudson Young. That's my bet for Round 1, with Hudson having to serve another 4-5 weeks suspension. He has to earn his way back into firsts for mine.

I'm tempted to put Ryan Sutton in at starting prop, as that's when he delivers his best, and Sia can lead the young forwards off the bench.
The round 1 side will definitely have a few tweaks.
Young obviously won't be there. I think you can throw the bank at Simonsson and Horsburgh being there. So the remaining pre-season question for me as far as the 17 goes is who has the best pre-season out of Sutton, Guler and Lui? We saw Lui have a bog average pre-season and still get picked as starting prop in round 1. They also trusted him into the finals even after he got the dropsies. He defended really well.
I don't know if we've seen enough of Guler to know if he needs to build into a season. Sutton definitely took some time to get going. He was terrible in the pre-season. Will that happen in year 2?

I'd like to see Sutton starting but I think we'll end up with Lui starting, Sia on the bench, and Guler rounding out the 17.
The other surprise could be Horsburgh. If he plays out of his skin again in the pre-season just give him the starting spot for a few weeks. It's a long season, we can rotate as needed.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I certainly wouldn’t be agin Horsburgh starting.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

I'm going with Tapine starting at lock and Leilua starting right centre as he's arguably the best in the world in that position, so my only two questions are:

1. Is Scott a better right winger than Simonsson?
2. Is it better to start Horsburgh over Soliola in the front row?

If Scott is starting on the wing, then I have Havili on the bench. Rest of the bench spots are down to form. I'm quite happy with Sutton and Guler over Lui, with Young to come in when he is available.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

2. Nick Cotric
3. Jarrod Croker (c)
4. Joey Leilua
5. Curtis Scott
6. Jack Wighton
7. George Williams
8. Josh Papalii
9. Josh Hodgson (c)
10. Emre Guler
11. John Bateman
12. Elliot Whitehead
13. Joesph Tapine

14. Bailey Simonsson
15. Ryan Sutton
16. Sia Sololia
17. Corey Horsburgh
18. Siliva Havilii

That's how i'd line them up if we had to play today... i've kind of given up on the Bateman/Tapine swap which i still think what we should do but points made regarding the teams success etc were well made and i just cant see it happening.

I would still be surprised if Joey is here in 2020 round 1... i hope he is. It would be a pleasant surprise but im still expecting him to move on. In which case Scott to centre, Bailey to the wing and Havilii into the 17 is the move.

I am dead against Sia and Papa starting together, i think it's imperative that they are split and staggered in way that one of them is on the park for the entire 80 minutes. We need their toughness, experience and attitude on the park for the full 80. Sutton/Guler/Horse... i could honestly go either way on those three as starters along side Papa.. I've gone with Emre because i am very bullish on him and i think he's got the style of game that suits starting and would compliment Papa well.

I LOVE having Horse off the bench, i think he suits that role extremely well.

Young isnt sniffing my top 17 until he proves himself to be a reliable footballer in his behaviour on the football field. We have the luxury of being deep enough to make that kind of stand and i think we should be doing it. He let himself, his coaches, his team mates and the club down with his actions. You dont play FG again until you've earned that trust back
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

zim wrote:I don't think we'll hit round 1 like this (player workloads, fitness, suspension etc) but strongest 17:

2. Nick Cotric
3. Jarrod Croker (c)
4. Joey Leilua
5. Curtis Scott
6. Jack Wighton
7. George Williams
8. Josh Papalii
9. Josh Hodgson (c)
10. Sia Soliola
11. John Bateman
12. Elliot Whitehead
13. Joseph Tapine

14. Bailey Simonsson
15. Hudson Young
16. Emre Guler
17. Corey Horsburgh
I’ll have some of what you’re smoking, zim
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

zim wrote: December 4, 2019, 10:04 pm

2. Nick Cotric
3. Jarrod Croker (c)
4. Joey Leilua
5. Curtis Scott
6. Jack Wighton
7. George Williams
8. Josh Papalii
9. Josh Hodgson (c)
10. Sia Soliola
11. John Bateman
12. Elliot Whitehead
13. Joseph Tapine

14. Bailey Simonsson
15. Hudson Young
16. Emre Guler
17. Corey Horsburgh

Young obviously won't be there. I think you can throw the bank at Simonsson and Horsburgh being there. So the remaining pre-season question for me as far as the 17 goes is who has the best pre-season out of Sutton, Guler and Lui? We saw Lui have a bog average pre-season and still get picked as starting prop in round 1. They also trusted him into the finals even after he got the dropsies. He defended really well.
I don't know if we've seen enough of Guler to know if he needs to build into a season. Sutton definitely took some time to get going. He was terrible in the pre-season. Will that happen in year 2?

I'd like to see Sutton starting but I think we'll end up with Lui starting, Sia on the bench, and Guler rounding out the 17.
The other surprise could be Horsburgh. If he plays out of his skin again in the pre-season just give him the starting spot for a few weeks. It's a long season, we can rotate as needed.
Maybe you’ve forgotten Sutton had a long lay-off due to serious injury before he arrived? He was coming from a long way behind
Turt
Brett Mullins

Post by Turt »

Matt wrote: December 4, 2019, 6:56 pm IMO
1. CNK
2. Cotric
3. Croker
4. Scott
5. Simmo
6. Jack
7. Good Will
8. Papa
9. Hodgo
10. Sia
11. Bateo
12. Whitey
13. Tarps

14. BJ
15. Guler
16. Horse
17. Sutton

18. Lui
I like this one.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Wouldn’t mind seeing Havilii on the bench.

Definitely want Papa and Sia starting. It’s no secret our emerging or fringe forwards like Dunamis Lui play a thousand times better when the platform is laid by the 2 experienced machine props.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

sprintman wrote: December 5, 2019, 8:37 am

2. Nick Cotric
3. Jarrod Croker (c)
4. Joey Leilua
5. Curtis Scott
6. Jack Wighton
7. George Williams
8. Josh Papalii
9. Josh Hodgson (c)
10. Sia Soliola
11. John Bateman
12. Elliot Whitehead
13. Joseph Tapine

14. Bailey Simonsson
15. Hudson Young
16. Emre Guler
17. Corey Horsburgh

Maybe you’ve forgotten Sutton had a long lay-off due to serious injury before he arrived? He was coming from a long way behind
13 October 2018 he played off the bench in the super league grand final. He had more than a complete pre-season to get something together. I think it's more likely the move to aus and the change in level had an impact. I expect he'll be better to start this year than 2018.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

The Nickman wrote: December 5, 2019, 8:04 am
zim wrote:I don't think we'll hit round 1 like this (player workloads, fitness, suspension etc) but strongest 17:

2. Nick Cotric
3. Jarrod Croker (c)
4. Joey Leilua
5. Curtis Scott
6. Jack Wighton
7. George Williams
8. Josh Papalii
9. Josh Hodgson (c)
10. Sia Soliola
11. John Bateman
12. Elliot Whitehead
13. Joseph Tapine

14. Bailey Simonsson
15. Hudson Young
16. Emre Guler
17. Corey Horsburgh
I’ll have some of what you’re smoking, zim
It's vape.... so... enjoy it while we last.
sprintman
Brett Mullins

Post by sprintman »

zim wrote: December 5, 2019, 9:03 am
sprintman wrote: December 5, 2019, 8:37 am

2. Nick Cotric
3. Jarrod Croker (c)
4. Joey Leilua
5. Curtis Scott
6. Jack Wighton
7. George Williams
8. Josh Papalii
9. Josh Hodgson (c)
10. Sia Soliola
11. John Bateman
12. Elliot Whitehead
13. Joseph Tapine

14. Bailey Simonsson
15. Hudson Young
16. Emre Guler
17. Corey Horsburgh

13 October 2018 he played off the bench in the super league grand final. He had more than a complete pre-season to get something together. I think it's more likely the move to aus and the change in level had an impact. I expect he'll be better to start this year than 2018.
He wasn’t fit. Bateman was.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

You're saying they played him in the super league grand final and he was unfit? Where's the duty of care these days?
sprintman
Brett Mullins

Post by sprintman »

zim wrote: December 5, 2019, 9:23 am You're saying they played him in the super league grand final and he was unfit? Where's the duty of care these days?
Match fitness.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

sprintman wrote: December 5, 2019, 9:57 am
zim wrote: December 5, 2019, 9:23 am You're saying they played him in the super league grand final and he was unfit? Where's the duty of care these days?
Match fitness.
Sorry I understood what you meant I was just yanking your chain. Where have you got him in your 17?
sprintman
Brett Mullins

Post by sprintman »

zim wrote: December 5, 2019, 10:12 am
Match fitness.
Sorry I understood what you meant I was just yanking your chain. Where have you got him in your 17?
The plane back to Blighty. He isn’t required
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

yeh raiders wrote: December 5, 2019, 8:56 am Wouldn’t mind seeing Havilii on the bench.
Yeah me too, I've always held the view you can carry both Simonsson and Havili on the bench.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

sprintman wrote: December 5, 2019, 10:36 am
Match fitness.
Haha damn. Poor sutto.
Last edited by zim on December 5, 2019, 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Botman wrote: December 5, 2019, 7:44 am 1. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
2. Nick Cotric
3. Jarrod Croker (c)
4. Joey Leilua
5. Curtis Scott
6. Jack Wighton
7. George Williams
8. Josh Papalii
9. Josh Hodgson (c)
10. Emre Guler
11. John Bateman
12. Elliot Whitehead
13. Joesph Tapine

14. Bailey Simonsson
15. Ryan Sutton
16. Sia Sololia
17. Corey Horsburgh
18. Siliva Havilii

That's how i'd line them up if we had to play today... i've kind of given up on the Bateman/Tapine swap which i still think what we should do but points made regarding the teams success etc were well made and i just cant see it happening.

I would still be surprised if Joey is here in 2020 round 1... i hope he is. It would be a pleasant surprise but im still expecting him to move on. In which case Scott to centre, Bailey to the wing and Havilii into the 17 is the move.

I am dead against Sia and Papa starting together, i think it's imperative that they are split and staggered in way that one of them is on the park for the entire 80 minutes. We need their toughness, experience and attitude on the park for the full 80. Sutton/Guler/Horse... i could honestly go either way on those three as starters along side Papa.. I've gone with Emre because i am very bullish on him and i think he's got the style of game that suits starting and would compliment Papa well.

Young isnt sniffing my top 17 until he proves himself to be a reliable footballer in his behaviour on the football field. We have the luxury of being deep enough to make that kind of stand and i think we should be doing it. He let himself, his coaches, his team mates and the club down with his actions. You dont play FG again until you've earned that trust back
I like this, for all the same reasons. Sutton will have the chance to show if he can lift his game to the required level and make an impact off the bench. I'm not convinced we've seen all he can do yet. But I'm also not convinced he has the game to make an impact off the bench. After a month or so Lui, Young or Havilii will be lining up for his spot if not.

I think Simo deserves a start but the arrival of Scott means he won't get it. Barring a long term inury or dramatic loss of form somewhere he'll be the Mr Fixit off the bench or filling in again.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

zim wrote: December 5, 2019, 10:44 am
sprintman wrote: December 5, 2019, 10:36 am
Match fitness.
Haha damn. Poor sutto.
He'd have half the players in the squad out of the team.
IBG
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by IBG »

I think #14 will be the most interesting position this year.

While there is no doubt that Simonsson is one of our best 17 players, I don't think you can play a whole season with him at #14 for a couple of reasons:

- There will be games where he'll only get 10 minutes or may not even get into the game. This is not fair to him or good for his development.

- I definitely agree with picking him at #14 for the last month of the season and finals. You need versatility on the bench in big games and we were incredibly lucky a few times that he was there when he was needed. But the reality is during the regular season, you can cover on the odd occasion an outside back goes down. We still have Bateman and Whitehead who can shift wider in a pinch. It's different in the finals, but not the regular season.

- I think with Hodgo another year older, you don't want to work him into the ground. I still believe he is more fresh and effective when you are spelling him for Haviili 15-20 minutes a game.

- Even if the flow of the game is going well and Hodgo doesn't want a break, Haviili can still contribute strongly in the middle as a running forward... and if he doesn't get into the game, I'm OK with him not getting any game time compared to Simonsson.

My pick for #14 is Haviili, even though I think Simonsson is one of our best 17 players.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Fair points. I'm not a fan of using Havili as a middle but giving Hodgo a breather during the season could work well.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

I’d go with this:

1. Nicol-Kolkstad
2. Cotric
3. Croker
4. Leilua
5. Scott
6. Wighton
7. G. Williams
8. Papalii
9. Hodgson
10. Sutton
11. Bateman
12. Whitehead
13. Tapine

14. Simmonson
15. Guler
16. Soliola
17. Horsburgh

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders predicted team

2. Nick Cotric
3. Jarrod Croker
4. Curtis Scott
5. Bailey Simonnson
6. Jack Wighton
7. George Williams
8. Josh Papalii
9. Josh Hodgson
10. Sia Soliola
11. John Bateman
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Joe Tapine

14. Joseph Leilua
15. Emre Guler
16. Corey Horsburgh
17. Dunamis Lui

The 2019 Grand Finalists will go into next season with plenty of confidence - but do face somewhat of a conundrum in the centre department.

Joseph Leilua and Jarrod Croker have done a great job in recent years for the club, but the signing of Storm star Curtis Scott means they will need to fit three into two.

They have a plethora of good young players as well who will add great depth to their squad, including Hudson Young and Sebastian Kris.

Read more: https://www.sportingnews.com/au/league/ ... ung8kben5a
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

BadnMean wrote:
Botman wrote: December 5, 2019, 7:44 am 1. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
2. Nick Cotric
3. Jarrod Croker (c)
4. Joey Leilua
5. Curtis Scott
6. Jack Wighton
7. George Williams
8. Josh Papalii
9. Josh Hodgson (c)
10. Emre Guler
11. John Bateman
12. Elliot Whitehead
13. Joesph Tapine

14. Bailey Simonsson
15. Ryan Sutton
16. Sia Sololia
17. Corey Horsburgh
18. Siliva Havilii

I like this, for all the same reasons. Sutton will have the chance to show if he can lift his game to the required level and make an impact off the bench. I'm not convinced we've seen all he can do yet. But I'm also not convinced he has the game to make an impact off the bench. After a month or so Lui, Young or Havilii will be lining up for his spot if not.

I think Simo deserves a start but the arrival of Scott means he won't get it. Barring a long term inury or dramatic loss of form somewhere he'll be the Mr Fixit off the bench or filling in again.
Agreed.

I wouldn't be unhappy if Hudson-young doesn't see first grade ever again for our club. Convicted drug cheat and three time eye gouger. How many chances does he get?

I'm expecting a big year from Sutton. I remember seeing him interviewed late last season and he was genuinely disappointed with how he had played throughout the year. I think it was after he was overlooked for the English side. I think he rips in this year.

I'm not overly fussed with the 1-17 but I'd really like to see our players workloads managed a little better this season with some sort of strategic rotation policy - so long as we remain on track for a top 4 position. We certainly have the depth to do it.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Ironically injuries probably helped us a bit last season. Guys like Bateman, Hodgson etc all got a spell for a few weeks but were there at the right time of year. Very hard to expect them all to be playing 20+ games.