Raiders player signing speculation 2019

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2019

Post by Botman »

What is happening is flagrant and systematic salary cap cheating. Signed off and endorsed by the NRL.

Time to ink Jarrod Croker to the 7 years 300k extension... create cap flexibility and we'll make sure he gets every cent of outstanding money when he's medically retired in 3-4 years
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: December 4, 2019, 7:47 am What is happening is flagrant and systematic salary cap cheating. Signed off and endorsed by the NRL.

Time to ink Jarrod Croker to the 7 years 300k extension... create cap flexibility and we'll make sure he gets every cent of outstanding money when he's medically retired in 3-4 years
:cmon :thumbsup
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Does anyone truly believe Sam Burgess will be providing $360k per year of value in an Administrative Role?

This is high level Executive pay.

Another absolute farce by the NRL.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

BJ wrote: December 4, 2019, 10:53 am Does anyone truly believe Sam Burgess will be providing $360k per year of value in an Administrative Role?

:nooo
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

BJ wrote: December 4, 2019, 10:53 am Does anyone truly believe Sam Burgess will be providing $360k per year of value in an Administrative Role?

It is downright ridiculous and the other clubs should be up in arms about it... except for the ones who are already aiming to do the same sort of thing of course.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

If you can’t beat them. Join them.

Actually let’s employ Hodgson, Bateman, Croker and Wighton on $1 a year contracts for the remainder of the Millennium. Easy

Turt
Brett Mullins

Post by Turt »

Isn't there a cap on the football department?
If so, this money should be coming out of that. If not, there should be.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

BJ wrote:Does anyone truly believe Sam Burgess will be providing $360k per year of value in an Administrative Role?

I'm sure Karen in memberships who is earning $60k a year will love having Sam roll in on 6x that amount to do the same job

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Turt wrote: December 4, 2019, 12:23 pm Isn't there a cap on the football department?
That's probably why they've devised an "administrative" role for him... outside the football department cap. The whole thing stinks.

Looks like Tigers fans are particularly peeved... given the Robbie Farah salary cap debacle.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

If he is medically retired and it's claimed to be a way to manage the cash flow for Souths then it's a dodgy.
If he isn't medically retired and it's way to pay him off the cap it's straight up cheating.
Turt
Brett Mullins

Post by Turt »

greeneyed wrote: December 4, 2019, 12:36 pm
Turt wrote: December 4, 2019, 12:23 pm Isn't there a cap on the football department?
That's probably why they've devised an "administrative" role for him... outside the football department cap. The whole thing stinks.

Looks like Tigers fans are particularly peeved... given the Robbie Farah salary cap debacle.
That's what I suspected when they said administration role. Any retirement jobs should be under the cap. Or maybe they could create a new cap for ex players
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

If players retire, and can't play any longer, why are clubs aiming to pay them out? Their contract is void.

If they're paying them out, the money should count to the salary cap.

Highly paid jobs at a club in "administration" on a contract that magically is equivalent to the remaining value of a player contract is cheating the salary cap. It is effectively the same as a club offering a player a post career job as part of a final playing deal... and that's illegal under the salary cap rules.
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

Under the new EBA agreed to with the players Union the NRL (&clubs) agreed to guarantee contracts when someone couldn't fulfill a contract due to injury. That's a big part of the reason this is a thing all of a sudden.
It's the right thing, but they're painted into a corner.
Turt
Brett Mullins

Post by Turt »

Beejay wrote: December 4, 2019, 2:34 pm Under the new EBA agreed to with the players Union the NRL (&clubs) agreed to guarantee contracts when someone couldn't fulfill a contract due to injury. That's a big part of the reason this is a thing all of a sudden.
It's the right thing, but they're painted into a corner.
It's the right thing for the players, but not for those clubs cheating the salary cap by signing players on a long term deal when they know the players won't complete the contract.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Yep, definitely open to rorting.

Who determines whether the player is subject to a medical retirement? How independent is this process?

Agreed about the opportunity clubs have to sign veteran stars to ridiculous length contracts with an expectation that they can be medically retired part way through their deal.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

The more i think about this, the more i think that publicly announcing this burgess role is a way for them to spread his cap hit over 10 years (taking a modest salary cap hit each year) vs being socked 1m for 3 years which would be debilitating.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Te admin team will be VERY disappointed when he has the first 12 months of his new role off as sick leave to recover from his debilitating shoulder surgery.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I guess if it's any consolation Ms Surgess is getting half of the 'photocopy boy' salary.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

FROG wrote: December 5, 2019, 3:09 am The more i think about this, the more i think that publicly announcing this burgess role is a way for them to spread his cap hit over 10 years (taking a modest salary cap hit each year) vs being socked 1m for 3 years which would be debilitating.
There is no cap hit. That's the point. His salary for his magical new job doesn't come under the salary cap. It's a way to get him to agree to walk out of his playing contract on medical grounds, for the benefit of the club.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Looking forward though - the biggest reason that this is happening in Sams case is his doc told him that he needed major surgery and recover time meant he would be out for 12-18 months. Burgess himself said he may wish to play again if he recovers well - what happens in a year when he suddenly want a gig again? Does his 10 year admin contract get torn up, showing it for the farce it is? Does he go and play rugby and take 2 wages? Does this current deal of 10 year $350k 'honouring his contract' mean that if he plays again he would go back to marquee wage 'to honour his admin contract'??

NRL are digging a very deep hole and setting some precedents which will be 100% taken advantage of.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

FROG wrote: December 5, 2019, 3:09 am The more i think about this, the more i think that publicly announcing this burgess role is a way for them to spread his cap hit over 10 years (taking a modest salary cap hit each year) vs being socked 1m for 3 years which would be debilitating.
If that's what's happening, i dont actually have a problem with it
That's effectively re-working the contract and stretching the pain... as long as it comes off the cap, i actually that's a perfectly fine and reasonable thing for the NRL to allow.

But i VERY much doubt that is what is happening
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

South's got the exemption. I'd assume since insurance didn't pay out on the injury the job is to cover the cash flow as suggested.

https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2019/ ... alary-cap/

Guess it's not Raiders related but it will be interesting to see if it's a precedent.
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

edwahu wrote: December 6, 2019, 4:01 pm South's got the exemption. I'd assume since insurance didn't pay out on the injury the job is to cover the cash flow as suggested.

https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2019/ ... alary-cap/

Guess it's not Raiders related but it will be interesting to see if it's a precedent.
Pretty much ensures they get Arrow. Feel sorry for Titans
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

So Insurance company doesn’t accept that the injury was fit for compensation but NRL happy to let it slide.

What a shocker of a get out clause. This will create a host of unintended long term repercussions for ageing players on the salary cap.

Another self created time bomb set up by the inept NRL commission.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

BJ wrote: December 6, 2019, 4:17 pm So Insurance company doesn’t accept that the injury was fit for compensation but NRL happy to let it slide.

What a shocker of a get out clause. This will create a host of unintended long term repercussions for ageing players on the salary cap.

Another self created time bomb set up by the inept NRL commission.
I guess since the injury is claimed to be due to an infection from the surgery he got to fix an in game injury it isn't covered.

Kind of shocked that players don't have more coverage than that.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

According to fox sports, we are talking to Matt Frawley to come back to the NRL following his release from huddersfield
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Has anyone heard anything about Leo Thompson?

https://twitter.com/9_moley/status/1209 ... 75266?s=21
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Coastalraider wrote: December 24, 2019, 9:00 am Has anyone heard anything about Leo Thompson?

Yes... Leo Thompson - New Zealand rugby union centre, Wellington, NZ Maori Under 18s

Has a twin I believe, which makes him one if the Thompson Twins.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=33769

He’s been listed for a while as one of the Under 20s with the top squad for pre season training.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

greeneyed wrote: December 24, 2019, 12:00 pm
Coastalraider wrote: December 24, 2019, 9:00 am Has anyone heard anything about Leo Thompson?

Yes... Leo Thompson - New Zealand rugby union centre, Wellington, NZ Maori Under 18s

Has a twin I believe, which makes him one if the Thompson Twins.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=33769
Thompson and Thompson??
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

LastRaider
John Ferguson

Raiders player signing speculation 2019

Post by LastRaider »

Thought this was interesting, Top 10 paid players in the NRL.

https://www.gq.com.au/fitness/sport/the ... 70371765dd
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

A lot of bad investments there LR. I'm glad we're not on it.

Even someone like DCE is is an excellent player- it just makes it harder when he's always going to be on overs (200k or so at present) as he is cap linked.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Yeah agree. If I was a bulldogs fan though, I would be livered with $1.2m for Foran!
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

I've got a mate who supports them. He certainly drinks a lot.