2019 in review - Sam Williams

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

This is the twenty first instalment of 2019 in review. As usual, now the Raiders' season is over - the best for 25 years - we are reviewing all 26 players who pulled on a green jersey in first grade this year. So far, we've looked at Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad, Nick Cotric, Jarrod Croker, Joey Leilua, Jordan Rapana, Jack Wighton, Aidan Sezer, Josh Papalii, Josh Hodgson, Sia Soliola, John Bateman, Elliott Whitehead, Joe Tapine, Bailey Simonsson, Emre Guler, Corey Horsburgh, Dunamis Lui, Siliva Havili, Ryan Sutton and Hudson Young.

Sam Williams made 10 appearances in first grade in 2019. He came into the team for an injured Aidan Sezer in Round 3 and good form saw him hold onto the halfback spot until the Round 12 win over the Bulldogs. Sezer grabbed back the No. 7 jersey in Round 13 - and that turned out to be the end of Williams' first grade season. Williams also played nine games for the Raiders' NSW Premiership affiliate, Mounties - all but one in the second half of the season. He did not play quite a few weeks, simply because he was 18th or 19th man in the NRL squad.

I rated him 5.9/10 through the season, with his overall rating reflecting the fact he played just over one third of the first grade matches. I rated him a "7" in two matches - the Round 3 win over the Knights and the narrow Round 10 loss to the Rabbitohs. Against the Knights, he scored a try, kicked a field goal and produced 214 kicking metres, one forced line drop out, one line break, one tackle break, one offload, 24 running metres and 17 tackles. He also scored a try against the Rabbitohs - as well as delivering 243 kicking metres, two tackle breaks, 58 running metres and 24 tackles. His top running metres in a game (71) and top tackle count (31) came in the Round 12 clash with the Bulldogs. His highest kicking metres in a match (369) came in the Round 7 loss to the Sea Eagles. He didn't register any points in Fans' Choice Player of the Year voting.

Williams is a good organiser and kicker - but defence is not his relative strength. That's not because of any lack of effort or hard work, it is simply because some players take advantage of his body size, and he gets targetted when defending. It is probably one reason that Aidan Sezer was preferred in the second half of the season - as Sezer has generally been considered the better defender. But Williams didn't do a whole lot wrong before being dropped.

When you compare the 2019 statistics for Williams and Sezer, I was a bit surprised to see that Williams had the better tackle efficiency rate (84 per cent, compared with 81 per cent for Sezer). Williams averaged more tackles per game (16.3 per game, Sezer 13.4) and missed fewer tackles (1.8 per game, Sezer 2.3) on average. However, Williams did concede more tries (1 per game, Sezer 0.3) and line breaks (1.3 per game, Sezer 0.4) on average. It also surprised me to see that Sezer produced around twice as many errors (0.9 per game, Williams 0.4); both conceded roughly the same number of penalties on average.

In attack, both Williams and Sezer produced just under one try involvement per game and one try every five games. Williams averaged more try assists, Sezer more try contributions. Williams ran with the ball less than Sezer (15 metres from two runs per game, compared with 36 metres from four runs for Sezer) and made fewer tackle breaks (0.3 per game, compared with 1.4 for Sezer). Their statistics for line breaks, line break assists and offloads were very similar.

Williams averaged more kicking metres than Sezer (225 metres from just over eight kicks per game, compared with 158 metres from seven kicks per game). Both players got a 40/20, while Williams averaged slightly more forced line drop outs per game. Sezer averaged more kicks dead and kick errors.

Those numbers highlight that there was not a lot of difference between the two players. Sezer was a bit better in terms of his running game and defence, while Williams had the better kicking game. Neither player was in the top 10 NRL half backs in almost all the statistical categories.

Sam Williams was re-signed by the Raiders on a two year deal in November. The club has also signed Wigan Warriors half George Williams - and he's in the box seat to take over the No. 7 jersey in 2020, with Aidan Sezer released last week to the Huddersfield Giants. The Raiders are, however, fortunate to have Sam Williams on their books, given he's just about the best back up half in the business.

How did you rate Sam Williams' 2019? Tell us below.

Sam Williams' 2019: 4.5/10

2019 Statistics: (Stats from Fox Sports Lab)
Games: 10
Average minutes: 80
Tries: 2
Goals: 0
Field goals: 2
Try assists: 6
Try contributions: 1
Total try involvements: 9
Total kicks: 85
Kick metres: 2252
Average kick metres per match: 225
40/20’s: 1
Forced drop outs: 6
Kicks dead: 1
Kick errors: 1
Total runs: 21
All run metres: 158
Average metres per carry: 7.5
Average metres per game: 15
Tackle breaks: 3
Offloads: 3
Line breaks: 1
Line break assists: 2
Tackles: 163
Average tackles per game: 16.3
1 on 1 tackles: 14
Missed tackles: 18
Average missed tackles per game: 1.8
Tackle efficiency: 84 per cent
Try causes: 10
Errors: 4
Penalties conceded: 5
Beejay
John Ferguson

Re: 2019 in review - Sam Williams

Post by Beejay »

Try's conceded and Line breaks conceded are by far the best indicator to someone's defence out of any stat available to the public.

Missed tackles can be misleading. Tackle efficiency is literally just dividing Tackles V Missed tackles and is virtually irrelevant as a Stat.

Based on that, Sam's defence is way worse. That write up presents it as almost a wash, but it's not. There's a gulf in difference between the two.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Sam Williams conceded more than three times the tries and more than three times the line breaks per game than Sezer. That’s an absolute massive difference. I’m surprised by some of the wording in the review.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Ummm...
I think GE must be crook, coz while the stats are written correctly, that doesnt read correctly/ extrapolate correctly. They are not defensive equals. I agree with JayBee and BJ (haha, mirrors JB > BJ - I must be tired, I found this way too funny :nooo ).

Im happy to give Sammy a 'ho hum' 4.5-5 this yr. Coz, well, thats Sammys wheel house.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

5/10 would've been my score. 4.5/10 is pretty much the same.

Scores about a 6/10 for his time on the field, missed half the season.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Tackle efficiency also accounts for ineffective tackles.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

There has been a lot of vitriolic commentary about our halbacks the last few seasons.

I guess these statistical comparisons confirm what I see with my eyes. I've said it elsewhere that Williams is a reasonably good halfback with the ball in hand. I think he reads the game better than Sezer and he generally has a better long kicking game. There is also no doubt that Williams also directly contributes to more line breaks and try causes than Sezer. While Sezer is often backpedalling and concedes ground in defence, he is much more solid defending the line in comparison to Williams.

All things being said, Williams is a really good backup halfback for the club to have on the books.

4.5/10
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Did OK when he played, although the issues that prevent him being a good NRL half continue. Would be a 5 or 6 but only playing 10 games drops him down to a 4/10.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
yurithe1
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by yurithe1 »

Thing I like about Sammy is that he doesn't go missing during a game. There were times when we needed a halfback to step up and Sezer just stuck to catch and pass. What stats can't tell you is how much help he was to Wighton when he was feeling his way at the start of the season at 5/8th. Sezer seemed to be all about cementing his place in the side. Williams was looking to help Wighton get in the groove and Wighton acknowledged that.

I saw Sammy with his shirt off during a fan open day in pre-season and it was obvious he had tried to address his physical shortcomings. However, I think that's as much bulk as he's going to be able to attain (and I would be very happy if I looked like that). I haven't seen what George W looks like in person. So, it's hard to say whether he's physically bigger than Sammy or not. That could go a long way towards deciding who spends the most time in the #7 jersey in 2020.
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

George Williams is 183cms tall and 90kgs. Sam Williams is 179cms and 85kgs. Aidan Sezer is 183cms and 90kgs.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

yurithe1 wrote: December 2, 2019, 1:58 pm Thing I like about Sammy is that he doesn't go missing during a game.
This could be a fun off season game.

The thing i like about BJ Leilua is how disciplined he is.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

5/10 for mine. He was as usual pretty good with the ball and we did get decent results with him early on, but switching him out for the better defender in Sezer helped stabilize our season when it was starting to look rocky.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

yurithe1 wrote: December 2, 2019, 1:58 pm Thing I like about Sammy is that he doesn't go missing during a game. There were times when we needed a halfback to step up and Sezer just stuck to catch and pass. What stats can't tell you is how much help he was to Wighton when he was feeling his way at the start of the season at 5/8th. Sezer seemed to be all about cementing his place in the side. Williams was looking to help Wighton get in the groove and Wighton acknowledged that.

I saw Sammy with his shirt off during a fan open day in pre-season and it was obvious he had tried to address his physical shortcomings. However, I think that's as much bulk as he's going to be able to attain (and I would be very happy if I looked like that). I haven't seen what George W looks like in person. So, it's hard to say whether he's physically bigger than Sammy or not. That could go a long way towards deciding who spends the most time in the #7 jersey in 2020.
Interesting. I'd have that as the biggest shortcoming in his game as an NRL halfback.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Botman wrote:
yurithe1 wrote: December 2, 2019, 1:58 pm Thing I like about Sammy is that he doesn't go missing during a game.

The thing I like about Botman is he’s always open to the possibility he’s wrong

The thing I like about GE is the way he can remain free from bias during State of Origin time

The thing I like about gangrenous is he writes great poetry
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

gangrenous wrote: December 2, 2019, 4:38 pm
Botman wrote:

The thing I like about GE is the way he can remain free from bias during State of Origin time

Hahaha I love how you guys think Fergus is somehow biased only during Origin time and a complete straight-shooter the rest of the year.

The ironing is delicious.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

gangrenous wrote: December 2, 2019, 4:38 pm
Botman wrote:

The thing I like about gangrenous is that he’s not a total jerk
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I like how Nickman isn’t a punish too
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Botman wrote:

The thing I like about Tapine is that he never gives away penalties when the team is in front on the scoreboard.

The thing I liked about Blake Austin was he always kept defensive structure with his teammate on either his left or right.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Sam Williams went missing more times than a key suspect in over one thousand Law and Order episodes.

I’m including the spin offs.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

The thing i like about Ricky Stuart is that when something negative happens, he takes great care when moving chairs.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

The thing I like about zim is how handsome he is.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

The thing I like about the government is their detailed energy and climate policy
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

The thing I like about Israel Folau is he’s so supportive of the LGBTIQ community
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

The thing I like about the GH is how lame jokes or one liners are quickly forgotten.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

The thing I like about gergreg is his mysterious username. I always wonder what his real name could be.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

The thing I like about the Roosters trainer is he’s only on the field when absolutely necessary
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

i was right, this is fun!
yurithe1
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by yurithe1 »

Thing I like is you can start a meme on here without intending to.
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

The thing I love the most about the GH is once we’re having fun with something Fergus never comes in and shuts it all down.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The thing I like about Nickman is how he’s always so supportive.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

The thing I like about Nickman is he only posts when he has something important to say
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

The thing I like about NR is everything. Absolutely everything about him.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

The Nickman wrote: December 3, 2019, 10:34 am The thing I like about NR is everything. Absolutely everything about him.
Touche
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

The thing I like about Channel Nine is the way they balance the exposure across the different teams.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

The thing I also like about greeneyed is how he deletes his posts so I end up with 5 in a row - actually scratch that, I’ve just given up gergreg as my alt