All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

I think we're close, is 2020 our year?

Post by -PJ- »

Ok..

After a 2019 where I'm still getting over I was thinking about the next year or three. We have the squad no doubt. Sezer, Rapana are gone..add GWilly and Curtis Scott.

I was 24 the last time we were premiers, all I want is another one..

What's the feel ?
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Re: I think we're close, is 2020 our year ?

Post by afgtnk »

On paper we look great and look even stronger relative to the competition.

I want to believe, but the stink of 2017 is still fresh in the air. How we start the opening four or five games will tell us all we need to know.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

I just want to be in the mix. Fighting.

I would surrender a testicle to win a comp..right now!!
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Yep, tbh at this stage I'm just wanting to avoid a repeat of 2017. The side is absolutely gunning to win a premiership, but at very least we need to be in the mix. It'd be bitterly dissappointing if we aren't.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

afgtnk wrote: November 30, 2019, 2:07 pm Yep, tbh at this stage I'm just wanting to avoid a repeat of 2017. The side is absolutely gunning to win a premiership, but at very least we need to be in the mix. It'd be bitterly dissappointing if we aren't.
I agree.
To miss the 8, and even the 4 the next couple of years would send me bat ....crazy !!!!

This is our window..get it done.
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

I think we’ll miss the four, but definitely make the eight.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Looking at the competition is very important...

Roosters and Storm are weakened.

Manly, if they can sort out their hooking issues are a big threat next year for mine. They don't need a huge improvement to compete for the comp with TTurbo back. But again, I go back to their hooking problems with Fainu (?) in trouble.

There will no doubt be some surprise improvers, however I think the leap is too far for the rest of the comp.

Now back to us... I have to back the recruitment of the well-established international professional players from the UK, to turn up again next season. Far cry from players like Blake Austin, Junior Paulo and Shannon Boyd.

George Williams is crucial. He is the biggest unknown, needing to play a very important role for us. I'll happily back him from what I've seen.

Hors, Guler, Bateman, CNK - there's no reason why they can't all pick up where they left off with a full season of NRL under their belt.

Finally, Joey Leilua. It's been said over and over how important he is and what he provides to us and I don't think we can compensate for that come the pointy end of the season. Curtis Scott doesn't provide the tools that Joey does, so I lose confidence in us if we offload Joey now.

I knew we wouldn't win in 2019, but I'm far more confident 2020 is our year.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

I think we're a shot so I have us making the 4. Anything less we've gone below par.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

We have a standard now, created by our focus on defence. That won't change..

I'm expecting finals..at a minimum..for a few years..at the very least.
Raidersteve
Noa Nadruku

Post by Raidersteve »

afgtnk wrote: November 30, 2019, 2:07 pm Yep, tbh at this stage I'm just wanting to avoid a repeat of 2017. The side is absolutely gunning to win a premiership, but at very least we need to be in the mix. It'd be bitterly dissappointing if we aren't.
I feel like we are in a better position for next year than we were for 2017.

Our style of play in 2016 was freakish attack with the belief that it didn't matter what our opponents score because we would score more. This was not sustainable as the opposition worked out how shut the attack down in 2017.

This year was all about defence and grit and it brought success. I can't see Ricky and the coaching staff wanting to reinvent the teams as they did for 2019. They will continue to build on defence they had this year whilst hopefully further improving our attacking play.

G. Williams is really important in 2020 if he is at the very least on par with Sezer then we should do well.
Gazman
Gerry De La Cruz

Post by Gazman »

I think hodgo will go up a gear in 2020 with gwilliams outside him.

Lot more opportunities!

2019 wasn’t his greatest.

Top 4 definitely (barring injury) likely top 2!

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I like how the club has not stood still and has sought to improve and refresh the team. After 2016, the focus was on "keeping this team together"... with the unspoken sentiment being... if we do that we win the premiership in 2017. Didn't happen. All the top clubs change and evolve their squad and play constantly.

The Raiders have a great defensive base... they'll need to retain that... but the attack also has to improve. The attack just wasn't quite up to breaking the Roosters' defence in the Grand Final, that's the bottom line. The problem is... there isn't much time to prepare in the off season this year... so we'll see.

The betting market has us third favourite, the Storm and Roosters ahead of us. I think it is a fair assessment to say it is a top four squad. If they make the top four, anything can happen, but they'll have a great chance.
nachopants
Brett Mullins

Post by nachopants »

I am always confident in us. My greatest fear is how far "backwards" we went after Edrick Lee dropping that pass... it took us years to recover.

I'm also not convinced by Williams. A lot of me wonders if we would have actually kept Sezer (because we made the decision in June or something) given how much he improved throughout the year.

His 3 field goals to win us that game was undeniable.

Sezer, if nothing else, was reliable. Not a superstar, but he found a way to be entirely dependable.

...I dunno, I hope this isn't a year of "rebuilding around a new half"

...we're also running 2 x 6's this year.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

nacho wrote: November 30, 2019, 4:16 pm I am always confident in us. My greatest fear is how far "backwards" we went after Edrick Lee dropping that pass... it took us years to recover.

I'm also not convinced by Williams. A lot of me wonders if we would have actually kept Sezer (because we made the decision in June or something) given how much he improved throughout the year.

His 3 field goals to win us that game was undeniable.

Sezer, if nothing else, was reliable. Not a superstar, but he found a way to be entirely dependable.

...I dunno, I hope this isn't a year of "rebuilding around a new half"

...we're also running 2 x 6's this year.
I really hope williams can bring that sezeresque solidarity while bringing that top tier short kicking game.
Dont delete this GE
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

V'Landys holds the key to who makes the top four next year. Last yera Annesley started the season by declaring that in season 2019 we would be playing under Ch9 rules, ie no sendoffs, minimal sinbinnings and minimal penalties. Thus the defencibly most cynical teams made the top four, the most cynical of all, a weakened Manly fell into the 8 on that strength alone. Will that refereeing culture survive the coming of V'Landys and the probable ousting of the incompetent Annesley and the myriad incompetent Suttons?
Hard to make any predictions about 2020 without knowing what game we will be playing.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

nacho wrote: ...we're also running 2 x 6's this year.
I’m quite keen to see how this goes, with our hooker acting also as halfback.
I actually suspect it’s going to be a really effective strategy that leverages the specific strengths of the team.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Given the sheer amount of our players who did well but have room to grow or were adjusting to a new position, I think we are well placed.

It is possible 2nd year syndrome will hit Hors, Guler, Simo and CNK but just as likely they will build on their achievements and remain just as effective.

We'll probably get more out of Joey simply because he was injured so long and he'll have a point to prove.

Guys like Cotric and Wighton achieved an awful lot but are still fine tuning their position (Jack) or achieved so much but still actually can raise their game even more (Cotric). You'd hope Origin will help them grow as footy players too.

Pro's who will deliver quality: Papa, Hodgo, Whitehead, Croker, Bateman. These guys are bankers imo.

Age might catch up with Sia. Lui or Sutton could go either way. players like Havilii and Oldfield and Williams are reliable depth during a season.

Add Scott is great. Even better we aren't relying on him to turn anything around, he either adds to the joint or we do have legitimate other options to play there.

G Willy will be key of course. But again he's not having to star, if he is any better than "steady" overall (Sezer's rank) then we are pretty much ahead. I doubt he'll be as consistent as Sezer over an NRL year straight up but we bought him for some spark and I think he'll bring some.

Hodgo pretty much organises, Jack is the huge boot, energy and x factor. GWilly just has to scheme in the red zone and offer a bit of a threat in there and slowly grow his game. I'm assuming he will make most of his tackles but not be quite as good as Sezer in D overall in his first season.

Really interesting to see how much GWilly tries to bring to the game early season and how Ricky brings him along. It was always said to be Ricky's achilles heel, bringing on halves but he's got Jack up and running after a splutter. CNK is a spine position and growing.

It can be our year. Attitude will be key as always. We'll have targets on our back from day 1, not be under-rated for 3/4 of the season like last time so it will be a matter of aiming up every week and maintaining professionalism and standards from day 1 this time.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Yeah, I reckon most of those first and second year players performed well off the back of effort. I don't suspect any of them will regress.

However, I don't expect the same impact from John Bateman next year.
christoraider
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by christoraider »

Our depth is pretty good , our roster is solid . With a bit of Luck with injuries we do it again , Rooters and Storms seem to be less stronger than last season .
Our premiership window is open if George works out ok

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

I think the big risk is preparation. In both the summers of 2015/16 and 2018/19 we had great pre seasons on the back of not making the finals.

This preseason is very different. It is now December and a lot of our grand final team only returns this week and our internationals including our new half back not back to January.

We need to get a strong preparation in a much shorter time.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

100%.
No repeat of 2017 and continued focus on defence. We need to backup strong with hard work and not “expect” things to just fall in place.
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by MrPosh »

If Josh Papalii can stay fit and healthy it's another top four finish and a shot at winning.

If a second middle can find some real go forward, to supplement and support Paps then it's in the bag.

This probably has to come from Horsbrough or Guler - but if there is an opportunity to acquire some additional power, even if it means trading in BJ, that could seal the deal.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

Ive been giving this a lot of thought. You don't have to go to far back in history to see teams make the gf and then to fall away in coming seasons. The examples im referring to are the eels in 09, warriors in 2011, bulldogs in 2014 and to a lessor degree the cowboys in 2017.. what all these teams have in common is that they all made the gf out of the top 4. They were average most of the year, sneaked into the 8 and then hit a purple patch. Contrast that with our 2019. We were consistently top 4 despite having critical players out for most of the year. Apart from the storm beating us by 12 points in round 2 our biggest loss was by 6 points. This team is the real deal. A bad run with injuries or off field mishaps are the only things i can see stoping us giving 2020 a real shake.
Old School Green
Dean Lance

Post by Old School Green »

FROG wrote: December 2, 2019, 7:09 am Ive been giving this a lot of thought. You don't have to go to far back in history to see teams make the gf and then to fall away in coming seasons. The examples im referring to are the eels in 09, warriors in 2011, bulldogs in 2014 and to a lessor degree the cowboys in 2017.. what all these teams have in common is that they all made the gf out of the top 4. They were average most of the year, sneaked into the 8 and then hit a purple patch. Contrast that with our 2019. We were consistently top 4 despite having critical players out for most of the year. Apart from the storm beating us by 12 points in round 2 our biggest loss was by 6 points. This team is the real deal. A bad run with injuries or off field mishaps are the only things i can see stoping us giving 2020 a real shake.
Agree with this. Injuries are the big threat. A serious injury to a key spine man and we are hurting. GWilly is the unknown but prima-facie he brings another attacking threat and takes away Hodgo as our sole focus of orchestrating points in the redzone
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
I was there. Go the Milk !!
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

I worry about our ability to win close games as I think George Williams will take a little time to get used to the NRL - if we are all tied with the ball in the opposition 20 with no time left - who is taking the field goal? This year it was Sezer/Sam Williams, I am not sure whether George Williams has this in his game?
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

I will be disappointed if this squad doesn't kick on after a phenomenal 2019 campaign. It will all be mental in 2020 and I'm more confident of the boys having their heads right after losing the GF than I would have been had we won. In 2019 and 2016 we started well - that needs to be our focus again.

My prediction is Top 4 and Premiers.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

I always love the 'on paper' discussions. We thought last yrs roster was a 6-12 side (unpick-able basically), they came 4th and made a GF.
We managed this because our youth stood up, and our 'hail mary' transfers came up big. The likes Horse, Guler, Sutton, Young (bar some stupidity) and even the likes of Kris and Starling playing above their pay grade. However, its the CNK and Simmo selections that put teams into the GF conversation. Its the nobodies that become stars that take you over the edge. 2nd yr syndrome though?!?
I believe GWilliams is an upgrade on Sezer, but that is yet to be proven. I dont think we lose too much with Simmo/ Scott on Rapa's wing. Yes, at his best, Rapa is the best winger in the comp, and his combo with BJ is hard to quantify. However, age and injury seems to be catching up with him a bit.
So, you'd like to think we are at least as good as last yr, and therefore a Top 4 side.

You look at the rest of the comp to really gauge where your at.
Storm still dont have a 7, and I have to say, given this fact, Id run Smith at 7 and play Smith at 9 (oh wait... thats what he has done for 2yrs. :-P, no I mean play both Smiths, Cam at 7 and Brandon at 9, and you can probably have Grant off the bench, moving Brandon to the middle for parts of the game) and have lost a few of their better starter/ depth players in Chambers, Stimson, Croft, Drinkwater and Scott (that JAC rumour isnt going away despite the clubs stance either). They are probably still a top 8 side, but I can see them being 6-8 this yr.

Roosters are weakened without Cronk and Latrell (have they lost anyone else?). Flannagan a good player, but youd have to think this will be Kearys team, pending his health. Friends list of injuries is also of concern, though Verrills looked solid. They will still play finals, but might drop a few spots without Cronk's nouce and Latrells strike.

Souths look weaker this yr, but they are still looking to buy some good pieces, so that still might change. At this stage I have them in the 8, but lower than Top 4.

Eels will be there or there abouts again next yr. Still have a similar side - Ma'u OUT with Matterson IN has no loss in ability. Top 6 or better.

Manly werent far away last yr even with a titanic injury toll. They are a Top 4 side on paper IMO, esp in Fainu plays.

Sharks... not sure TBH. They have lots of moving parts and still a few aging players. I really dont know. Injures and bad goal kicking hurt them last yr, will it again?????

Bronx will be hard to pick again this yr, but at least their youngsters all have a season under their belts. I think Croft will be a good foil for Milf, and if they do in fact go with Isaako at FB, I think they could be a more settled spine. 2nd yr syndrome though?!?

Tigers... lock them in at 9, thats their wheelhouse :-) Who knows TBH?!? Could easily make the 8, but we say that every yr.

Penrith, under achievers. Korisau at 9 will be a big plus. I can see him and Cleary pushing this team towards the 8. Edwards and Luai making up the spine is solid. The Q will be, how big a loss is Maloney? I think they underachieve again.

Surely Knights cant continue to stink up the joint with their roster. They will have a better 9 this yr, and their 7 and 1 are class. They really should be a Top 6, maybe even Top 4 side.

Dogs... I think they will suck, for at least 1 more yr, if not longer.

Warriors will again be hard to pick, coz when arent they?!?!

Cowboys are trying to buy a premiership, and therefore, I think they will be in the mix come September. They will be the big movers, and push for top 6.

Dragons, I cant see them getting better TBH, though at 15th, not hard to move up a spot or 2.

Titans, they still stink. I hope they sign Latrell for a billion, and he is as bad as Hayne.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

You might've thought we were a 6-12 team, but I firmly believed "on paper" we were top 4.

Saying that, I firmly believed 2016-19 was a top 4 team "on paper" the whole time, which is why I was so downright FURIOUS with 2017-18.

We should be the goods next year and should come very close to winning it, but like afghjfrtkjhlrkjhlrjkthrth I can't get recurring visions of 2017 to stop flashing before my eyes.

I'm not entirely confident. Canberra teams of the last two decades have a disturbing habit of collapsing like a wet paper towel as soon as they start getting any smoke blown up their **** over an off-season. I'm going to need to see genuine change and commitment over the off season before I'm convinced.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

I'm also nervous about next year, but I believe Ricky would have learnt a lot from the debacle that was 2017-18 following on from 16. I don't feel like we'll make the same mistake again.

Whether we make the 4 again - we are fully capable, but we'll also need some luck with injuries etc, and I imagine we might start a bit slow while Williams finds his feet and the new combinations gel.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

@matt
I think you can bank on Fainu not playing so that leaves them with maybe... Dany Levi?
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

zim wrote: December 2, 2019, 10:17 am @matt
I think you can bank on Fainu not playing so that leaves them with maybe... Dany Levi?
Yeah, well that would make a big difference. Kori and Fainu where huge for them this past yr.
According to the NRL team list page and the Manly page, Fainu is their only hooker.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

The Nickman wrote: December 2, 2019, 9:57 am You might've thought we were a 6-12 team, but I firmly believed "on paper" we were top 4.

Saying that, I firmly believed 2016-19 was a top 4 team "on paper" the whole time, which is why I was so downright FURIOUS with 2017-18.

We should be the goods next year and should come very close to winning it, but like afghjfrtkjhlrkjhlrjkthrth I can't get recurring visions of 2017 to stop flashing before my eyes.

I'm not entirely confident. Canberra teams of the last two decades have a disturbing habit of collapsing like a wet paper towel as soon as they start getting any smoke blown up their **** over an off-season. I'm going to need to see genuine change and commitment over the off season before I'm convinced.
You were the optimist last yr, yes. However, most of us were jaded by '17-'18 and tipped accordingly.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Matt wrote: December 2, 2019, 10:20 am
Yeah, well that would make a big difference. Kori and Fainu where huge for them this past yr.
According to the NRL team list page and the Manly page, Fainu is their only hooker.
It's really puzzling that they haven't looked at signing guys like Cameron King who would only be min wage. Even if you end up with Levi your roster still needs a first grade backup. Must be more in the works, or des needs to move someone on due to a salary cap issue.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

zim wrote: December 2, 2019, 10:49 am
Matt wrote: December 2, 2019, 10:20 am
It's really puzzling that they haven't looked at signing guys like Cameron King who would only be min wage. Even if you end up with Levi your roster still needs a first grade backup. Must be more in the works, or des needs to move someone on due to a salary cap issue.
King to Sharks is a good move for them.
Definitely weird that Manly still dont have a 2nd or 3rd hooker.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

The fears for huge, significant and sweeping regression are fair and rooted in 25 odd **** years of this organisation proving itself to be utterly incapable of stacking successful seasons on top of another.

But there is absolutely no reason for this team to **** the bed other than that's just kind of what we're used to
This team has quality up and down the line up. The backs and pack are a beautiful combination of tough and talented, gifted and gritty, and the spine has the class and pedigree to take advantage. This team should be contending again, top 4... once you're there, the margins are so thin, one badly timed error, or bounce of the ball extends and ends seasons... you just want this team to be in a final 4 and give themselves another good shot at things

And good health permitted, i think they'll do exactly that. These Raiders are built differently. I think as long as our key players stay healthy, we're going to be back in a prelim final