Health and fitness

The social club of The Greenhouse

Moderator: GH Moderators

How healthy and happy are you?

Super healthy = Could trial for the Raiders
6%
Moderately healthy = I've got a six pack or at least I am trying to
34%
Slightly healthy = I eat junk and healthy stuff but I do walk (sometimes)
28%
Unhealthy = The only six pack I've got is for drinking
28%
Extremely unhealthy = Just don't ask
4%

Total votes: 53

bonehead
Laurie Daley

Re: Health and fitness

Post by bonehead »

Coastalraider wrote:
bonehead wrote: November 24, 2019, 12:08 pm hope it went well Watanobbi

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Went bloody well thanks ‘necknock’ - 19 min PB over the half Ironman distance :thumbsup
great stuff

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

Congrats Coastal! I feel like we've seen your fitness journey from the beginning in here and your discipline has been nearly faultless. Amazing effort!
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Great stuff Coastal!
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Congrats CR, well done!
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

So back to my own running woes... this morning I ran 6km for the first time since the first time I ran 10km in July. I've been so slack ever since, so starting to build back up again. After a few parkruns of around 32:30ish, on Saturday I got back to 30:30, so not far off my goal of being back below 30.

I did my 6km this morning in about 37min, still a fair way off from my 10km in just under an hour in July. It really sucks how quickly you lose it, and how much work you need to do to get it back.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

The Nickman wrote: November 25, 2019, 10:17 am So back to my own running woes... this morning I ran 6km for the first time since the first time I ran 10km in July. I've been so slack ever since, so starting to build back up again. After a few parkruns of around 32:30ish, on Saturday I got back to 30:30, so not far off my goal of being back below 30.

I did my 6km this morning in about 37min, still a fair way off from my 10km in just under an hour in July. It really sucks how quickly you lose it, and how much work you need to do to get it back.
Yep, it disappears bloody quickly doesn't it.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Haha yeah, really sucks. I need to run at least 5km three times a week to maintain any semblance of fitness.

Even playing touch twice a week doesn't help with my running.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

You start losing running fitness after 3 days of inactivity according to the book I'm reading.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Sounds about right,

Strength is about 2 weeks

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

gergreg wrote:You start losing running fitness after 3 days of inactivity according to the book I'm reading.

Is that inactivity as in not running or just no significant exercise?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

Yeah Nickman I agree touch footy doesn’t do enough for my running fitness either... it’s a different kind of fitness.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

EJ wrote:
gergreg wrote:You start losing running fitness after 3 days of inactivity according to the book I'm reading.

From Hal Higdons - Marathon the ultimate training guide.
Research by Edward F Coyle, PhD, of the department of kinesiology at the University of Texas, suggests that runners begin to "detrain" (lose their fitness) after 48 to 72 hours and that it takes 2 days of retraining to regain the fitness lost for every single day of training that is skipped. That does not mean you should never rest, but if you take extended periods off, it will take you longer to come back.

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

yeh raiders wrote:Yeah Nickman I agree touch footy doesn’t do enough for my running fitness either... it’s a different kind of fitness.
I would have classed touch footy as almost HIIT because it's a lot of short sprints, which can be beneficial to long distance running as it helps to run/train at different speeds. The serious marathon runners do at least one speed session each week. Anywhere between 400 - 800 metres quick with the same distance very slow jog, and repeat up to 8 + times.

EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

gergreg wrote:
EJ wrote:

Research by Edward F Coyle, PhD, of the department of kinesiology at the University of Texas, suggests that runners begin to "detrain" (lose their fitness) after 48 to 72 hours and that it takes 2 days of retraining to regain the fitness lost for every single day of training that is skipped. That does not mean you should never rest, but if you take extended periods off, it will take you longer to come back.

Yeah that's interesting. I remember reading something very similar in old LetsRun threads by acclaimed coach Renato Canova. Something about mitochondria levels dropping after about 72 hours. I think the subject was trying to deal with why you can have seemingly inexplicable off days in training.

That said my best year of running by far was 2017 when I only ran 2 days a week. For the back half of the year they were both long runs (up to 30km road on Wednesdays and 35km on trail ,[5 to 6 hours] Sundays). I was doing those same runs in 2015 but also an additional 3rd road run 10-15km. I only ended up injuring myself. So the mindset in 2017 after I had recovered from long term injury was to leave the 3 and 4 day gaps between runs to recover enough which seemingly paid off as PBs were smashed over all sorts of distances.

I was also doing resistance workouts twice a week as well but that was the same in 2015 too.

Maybe I could have benefited even more in 2017 by adding a third slow and easy run more as a recovery run. That third run in 2015 was always me going as fast as I could and it was a hilly course so had a fair bit of high impact downhill.

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

With his training programs, even the advanced ones only have the two long runs a week. Mixed around them are short/easy recovery runs, hill repeats and fartleks. But it's probably best to do what works for you.

I think my 18 week program starts this week but I'm only just getting back into it. So rather than just immediately jumping on the program I'll build up the k's and consistency for a few weeks.

Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

gergreg wrote: November 26, 2019, 7:02 am With his training programs, even the advanced ones only have the two long runs a week. Mixed around them are short/easy recovery runs, hill repeats and fartleks. But it's probably best to do what works for you.

I think my 18 week program starts this week but I'm only just getting back into it. So rather than just immediately jumping on the program I'll build up the k's and consistency for a few weeks.

Your body will tell you if you are doing to much.

The hard part is actually listening to it :roflmao
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

gergreg wrote: November 25, 2019, 9:20 pm
EJ wrote:

I agree with all of this, although I have to add that for me, every time I've got slack I've lost it pretty quickly, but regained it quicker than the last time.

It seems once I get back into my training routine I'm getting back to where I was quicker than the time before. Maybe it's just a case of familiarity, or knowing what I can do if I set my mind to it. Getting to running 5km without stopping the first ever time was easily the hardest.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

I’ve started fitness again after being away for a month on holiday. The return really does kick you in the butt I couldn’t lift my arms very far above my head for 2 days after the 3rd (consecutive) session back
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

As I said in my last post, it goes fast but each time it comes back faster. Did Parkrun on Saturday at 30.30 after the last few all being above 32, ran 6km on Monday morning in about 37 and today I got back under 30 for 5km for the first time in a few months. 28:30! Bring on Parkrun this week!
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

Yeah I’m on board with that Nicky, my fitness goes quickly but comes back quickly. I’d hate to know just how unfit I am right now, I haven’t moved in about 5 weeks.

ACL Update, 9 days post surgery.

Today was the first day I could sit/lay down for a period of time and actually do some work without too much pain interruption.

Sleeping quite well, only waking up once or twice a night.

I’m good when I’m lying down, but as soon as I go upright - whether I’m standing or just dangling the left leg, there’s a surge of pain from the knee downwards.

Have had a handful of physio appointments so far, but definitely not ready to walk unassisted just yet. Too much knee pain, too much risk.

I’ve thrown my long term touch footy goals out the window, I just want to focus on the short term goal of walking and getting back on the boat to do some fishing.

Watched a documentary on AFL player Daniel Menzel who has had 4 ACL reco’s. He has been through it all, including trying the LARS surgery. Was hard to watch, just thinking **** it would be to do it again but it inspiring to see what he went through to get back into the AFL.

I’ll be so grateful just to walk again lol.

Onwards and upwards.
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

The Nickman wrote:As I said in my last post, it goes fast but each time it comes back faster. Did Parkrun on Saturday at 30.30 after the last few all being above 32, ran 6km on Monday morning in about 37 and today I got back under 30 for 5km for the first time in a few months. 28:30! Bring on Parkrun this week!
Nice, How’d you go yesterday?

Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

yeh raiders wrote:Yeah I’m on board with that Nicky, my fitness goes quickly but comes back quickly. I’d hate to know just how unfit I am right now, I haven’t moved in about 5 weeks.

ACL Update, 9 days post surgery.

Today was the first day I could sit/lay down for a period of time and actually do some work without too much pain interruption.

Sleeping quite well, only waking up once or twice a night.

I’m good when I’m lying down, but as soon as I go upright - whether I’m standing or just dangling the left leg, there’s a surge of pain from the knee downwards.

Have had a handful of physio appointments so far, but definitely not ready to walk unassisted just yet. Too much knee pain, too much risk.

I’ve thrown my long term touch footy goals out the window, I just want to focus on the short term goal of walking and getting back on the boat to do some fishing.

Watched a documentary on AFL player Daniel Menzel who has had 4 ACL reco’s. He has been through it all, including trying the LARS surgery. Was hard to watch, just thinking **** it would be to do it again but it inspiring to see what he went through to get back into the AFL.

I’ll be so grateful just to walk again lol.

Onwards and upwards.
Hang in there yeh Raiders, one step at a time

Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

Achieved my first triple under today (skipping with the rope passing under your feet 3 times in a jump) I’ve been able to string together double-unders, never thought I’d do a triple. I did stop straight after whenever I would do 1 though, I can’t string them together

It won me a $20 voucher at my gym so a good start to a Sunday

Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

I went outside my comfort zone today and did the 2.5k bondi to Bronte ocean swim. It always amazes me how a swell that looks ‘a little rough’ seems like a freaking washing machine that is trying to kill you when you are actually swimming in it.

Wasn’t quick but actually felt pretty comfortable out the back, until I swear I saw a dark shadow swim under me. On second look there was nothing there, and after that I stopped bloody looking.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Yeah I'm not a fan of ocean swimming cause of those shadows.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Anybody run in Hoka's? A few decent black Friday deals. I can't believe how expensive shoes are in Australia. I bought a few spares O/S but nearly run out now. I still have a pair of Asics Noosa but I don't think they have enough cushion for my knee. I did a 5k in them and the knee felt a bit sore afterwards so I'll just keep them as my everyday walkers.

Currently running in Asics 360 quantum. I can see hoka Clifton 5s for 130, and I'm tempted to try them out.

EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

I owned a pair of Clifton's a few years ago. I did a 10km training run in them then did the Sydney Marathon in them next, which was a bad idea lol. The cushioning takes time to get used to. Maybe if you've been trail running a bit it might not be an issue. But I found the stabilising muscles in my ankles were not conditioned for the transition to Hokas (even though I deliberately went for one of the least cushioned models in the brand). During the marathon, whenever we had to do a hair pin turn I couldn't lean into the corner at all, my ankles felt like they would give out or something. I had to slow pretty much to a stop then turn then set off again lol.

Admittedly, it was just stupid to go into a marathon with such new shoes fullstop. And I ended up giving them to a mate after that so I can't say too much more about them from experience.

Shoe price is ridiculous here though I agree. I've stocked up on some Altras when Mass Drop have them. Even paying for shipping from US, they were still significantly cheaper than buying here.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Yep I’ve been running in Hokas for 2 years and love them. I think the biggest thing for me was the change in stack height from normal shoes like asics eliminates achillies pain I had always had.

Have just started running in ASICS glide ride - similar stack height, front only rocker style. They REALLY force you to increase your cadence, it’s hard to run slowly in them.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Sid wrote: December 1, 2019, 2:47 pm
The Nickman wrote:As I said in my last post, it goes fast but each time it comes back faster. Did Parkrun on Saturday at 30.30 after the last few all being above 32, ran 6km on Monday morning in about 37 and today I got back under 30 for 5km for the first time in a few months. 28:30! Bring on Parkrun this week!
Nice, How’d you go yesterday?
Badly! For some reason I was back down to 31:30, and I have no idea why! Just had a really poor run.
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

Dr Zaius wrote:Yeah I'm not a fan of ocean swimming cause of those shadows.
How is your UTA training going Doc?

I've still got eyes on it but am not even on the waitlist yet. Should prob make a decision by end of the year

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

EJ wrote:

I've still got eyes on it but am not even on the waitlist yet. Should prob make a decision by end of the year

Not doing anything specific at the moment mate, just maintaining my current level of fitness which is reasonable with the plan to step it up in the new year. At the moment aiming to go the gym twice a week for some weights, bootcamp three times a week, parkrun for some short distance speed work {and intervals afterwards if not too hot} and a 20-30km trail on Sunday.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Dr Zaius wrote: December 2, 2019, 7:20 pm
EJ wrote:

Not doing anything specific at the moment mate, just maintaining my current level of fitness which is reasonable with the plan to step it up in the new year. At the moment aiming to go the gym twice a week for some weights, bootcamp three times a week, parkrun for some short distance speed work {and intervals afterwards if not too hot} and a 20-30km trail on Sunday.
Are you in for the 100 Doc? I’m working on Potentially doing the 50. Want to do my first Ultra next year as I’m not doing Ironman.
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

Dr Zaius wrote:
EJ wrote:

Lol keen to see what you're "stepping up" schedule is like. That's busy as!

I got Melbourne Spartan Urban Sprint this weekend. Not expecting to do too well but will start doing longer distances once that's done.

If anyone doing UTA wants to train on course in the lead up, sound us out. If I'm good, I'll be doing at least part of the course every Sunday from here on out.

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

EJ wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote:
EJ wrote:

Lol keen to see what you're "stepping up" schedule is like. That's busy as!

I got Melbourne Spartan Urban Sprint this weekend. Not expecting to do too well but will start doing longer distances once that's done.

If anyone doing UTA wants to train on course in the lead up, sound us out. If I'm good, I'll be doing at least part of the course every Sunday from here on out.

Probably much the same, but work in some steeper longer hills and stairs, and some more consistent distance.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Coastalraider wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote: December 2, 2019, 7:20 pm
EJ wrote:

Are you in for the 100 Doc? I’m working on Potentially doing the 50. Want to do my first Ultra next year as I’m not doing Ironman.
Yeah doing the 100. Did kokoda this year, 96km and the same elevation. Did that pretty easily, but as a group event we were running at the groups pace and I wasn't pushing myself. I signed up for the Coastal High 50km in Sept but it was burnt out. The organisers gave people the option of earning their medal through a 50km virtual race {run your own course, log it on Strava). 40km into a solo 50km trail run and I was questioning my sanity. I've gone from pfft, it's just another kokoda, to **** am I thinking.