2019 in review - Dunamis Lui

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

This is the seventeenth instalment of 2019 in review. As usual, now the Raiders' season is over - the best for 25 years - we are reviewing all 26 players who pulled on a green jersey in first grade this year. So far, we've looked at Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad, Nick Cotric, Jarrod Croker, Joey Leilua, Jordan Rapana, Jack Wighton, Aidan Sezer, Josh Papalii, Josh Hodgson, Sia Soliola, John Bateman, Elliott Whitehead, Joe Tapine, Bailey Simonsson, Emre Guler and Corey Horsburgh.

Dunamis Lui played all 27 games of the 2019 season, nine from the bench. He spent the first half of the season as Josh Papalii's partner in the starting team, but spent a good part of the second half of the season as part of the prop rotation.

Lui's 2020 statistics were mostly similar to 2019. He did score a try this season, his first since 2014. His average average running metres fell from 80 to 74 per game (ranked sixth amongst the Raiders forwards), while his average metres per carry were roughly the same (8.3, ranked ninth amongst the Raiders forwards). He ranked ninth amongst the Canberra forwards for tackle breaks (10).

Lui's tackle efficiency rate was about the same as last season (90 per cent, compared with 89 per cent in 2018), as was his missed tackle count per match (1.5). He ranked ninth amongst the Raiders forwards for average tackles per game and third for total missed tackles. His try causes (6) fell and were low. But he was equal second amongst the Raiders forwards for try causes, alongside Elliott Whitehead and one behind John Bateman. He also ranked equal second for line break causes (9), with Josh Hodgson and behind Whitehead. His error count ranked fourth amongst the Canberra forwards and third for penalties conceded.

I rated him 5.7/10 through the season, with his overall rating below reflecting his overall contribution to the season. I rated him a "7" in five games. His top tackle count in a match (32) came in two games, the Round 13 win over the Tigers and the Round 15 loss to the Eels. His highest tally for running metres (130) also came in Round 13. He broke the 100 metres gained mark in five matches. Those fixtures against the Tigers and Eels were probably his two best matches.

Lui was selected for Samoa's end of season Test against Fiji... but it is probably a game the Samoan's would prefer to forget, with Fiji running out 44-18 winners.

Lui is not amongst the top 20 props in the NRL on any of the statistical indicators, but he is experienced, solid, durable, consistent and always puts in his best efforts. The way he fought back from an ACL injury in 2017 was very impressive - and his determination is no doubt a great example to his team mates. That was rewarded with the Coaches Award on Meninga Medal night this year. Given the young talent coming through the Raiders' ranks of middle forwards, however, he's probably going to have to fight off some challengers for his spot in the top 17 in 2020.

How did you rate Dunamis Lui's 2019? Tell us below.

Dunamis Lui's 2019: 6.5/10
2019 Statistics: (Stats from Fox Sports Lab)
Games: 27
Average minutes: 38
Tries: 1
Try assists: 0
Try contributions: 0
Total try involvements: 1
Total kicks: 0
Kick metres: 0
Total runs: 241
All run metres: 2002
Average metres per carry: 8.3
Average metres per game: 74
Tackle breaks: 10
Offloads: 2
Line breaks: 1
Line break assists: 0
Tackles: 552
Average tackles per game: 20.4
1 on 1 tackles: 21
Missed tackles: 40
Average missed tackles per game: 1.5
Tackle efficiency: 90 per cent
Try causes: 6
Line break causes: 9
Errors: 12
Penalties conceded: 13
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: 2019 in review - Dunamis Lui

Post by Botman »

Was very good for us early in the year, tapered off fairly significantly in the back end of the year imo
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Got annoying when he started to over estimate himself later in the year and come up with pointless strip plays that cost us penalties.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Hmm. No way I'd rate him and the Big Red the same. 5.5 for Lui for mine - fell away at the end of the year. Was solid initially but still just a journeyman even at his best.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

I went into the year saying that a team with Dunamis Lui as starting prop could not win a grand final. I'm still not entirely sure I was wrong.
5.5 for me, too.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

He's not in our top 3 props but I thought he improved a lot this year. Fixed up his defensive issues. First half of the year kept the error rate down. Didn't get dominated like past years. Just needs to put the strip away.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

The first 18 rounds he had something like 2 errors and was reliable in all aspects.

Unfortunately he really upped his error count over the last third of the season. I think these errors flowed right through his game.

I was really impressed with his goal line defence however. Made some telling tackles around the ruck when needed.

5.5 for me as well. Would have been a 6.5 if he hadn’t fallen away.

He’s obviously a popular teammate and works very hard with his training and rehab. Exactly the kind of lower end prop you need at a developing club to help Guler and Horsburgh rise to greater levels.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

6/10 for mine. First half of the year he did his job very well, made good go-forward, zero errors, made his tackles. I was always one of the first to sing his praises in the face of plenty of unwarranted criticism.

Second half (last quarter especially) he went away from that and errors started to creep into his game, as well as those ridiculous strips he attempted but never pulled off. He regressed so heavily in my opinion I would've played Havili instead of him in the grand final.

Hopefully in 2020 he can get back to what he does best and leaves the flashier stuff to flashier players.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

He's had his moments.

Hot, warm, cold.

Too much cold though. I don't cringe when he carries the ball but I do cover my eyes.

He gets a 5, which means he did his job in GF year.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

I think with the development of Horse and Guler towards the end of the season, we will have seen the last of Dunamis as a regular top 17 player.

With another off season for our young fellas and some more development, I think our prioritised middle third group should be:

Papa
Sia
Tarps
Horse
Guler
Sutton

Big gap

Hudson young and Dunamis

He has done a job for us, but I feel like this season he was a gap filler until some others matured. Horse, Guler, Sutton should all overtake him this off season.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

5.5-6 for mine (no surprise that was his game to game avg). He is a role player, who goes about his business with no frills. Ideally he is a 16th-18th man. However, later in the year he started doing stupid things like strips and bad penalties though, which goes away from what he is good at.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Coastalraider wrote: November 26, 2019, 11:24 am I think with the development of Horse and Guler towards the end of the season, we will have seen the last of Dunamis as a regular top 17 player.

With another off season for our young fellas and some more development, I think our prioritised middle third group should be:

Papa
Sia
Tarps
Horse
Guler
Sutton

Big gap

Hudson young and Dunamis

He has done a job for us, but I feel like this season he was a gap filler until some others matured. Horse, Guler, Sutton should all overtake him this off season.
I feel like Lui and Sutton are very similar. No frills guys, who probably need slightly longer minutes to really be noticed. Would be nice to see the younger brigade fill those prop spots next yr
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Matt wrote: November 26, 2019, 11:32 am
Coastalraider wrote: November 26, 2019, 11:24 am I think with the development of Horse and Guler towards the end of the season, we will have seen the last of Dunamis as a regular top 17 player.

Papa
Sia
Tarps
Horse
Guler
Sutton

Big gap

Hudson young and Dunamis

I feel like Lui and Sutton are very similar. No frills guys, who probably need slightly longer minutes to really be noticed. Would be nice to see the younger brigade fill those prop spots next yr
Yep I agree, but I rate Sutton higher in the pecking order as he was an NRL rookie and immediately got the the same sort of level as Dunamis. I think 2019 was the peak of Lui, especially given how many teams he has been at and failed to cement spots, but I think with another off season Sutton will have by far the higher ceiling.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Coastalraider wrote: November 26, 2019, 11:47 am
Matt wrote: November 26, 2019, 11:32 am

Papa
Sia
Tarps
Horse
Guler
Sutton

Big gap

Hudson young and Dunamis

Yep I agree, but I rate Sutton higher in the pecking order as he was an NRL rookie and immediately got the the same sort of level as Dunamis. I think 2019 was the peak of Lui, especially given how many teams he has been at and failed to cement spots, but I think with another off season Sutton will have by far the higher ceiling.
Ill 2nd that
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

The only thing Lui and Sutton will be competing for is who can drop the most balls in a game
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

I thought he was generally pretty solid over the season, but will never be the type of prop that puts the fear of God into the opposition.

Most opposition teams would be happy when he's on the park.

Excellent depth player, but with Soliola on the verge of retirement we definitely need someone else to step up and help Papa out.

5.0/10 seems about right to me. Middle of the road.