Curtis Scott signs with Canberra Raiders to end 2023

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Re: Canberra Raiders close in on major signing coup with Melbourne Storm centre Curtis Scott

Post by Cranky Old Man »

This thread has more points to it tan a garden rake, most of them being off topic, but I'll add a point to make things worse.
Before the Raiders came into being I used to follow the Dragons. I well remember their days when Langlands was their Smith, Billy Smith was their Cronk and on it went. In the early seventies those players were still top players but on the decline from their stellar best.It was obvious to me and many others that for the future of the club it would be better to phase them and several of their aging cohort out of the game. But the club took the more pragmatic view that they could still win games with them that they might not without them. They made the 1975 GF with them, but were embarrassed 38 nilwhen tries were only worth 3 points. The club fell apart then with a rancorousness within the club that hadn't been there for decades. Langlands and Smith and others were punted, and then in one of the greatest coaching feats in the history of the game Harry Bath took them to premierships within a couple of years. I think the Storm should look to that history.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: Canberra Raiders close in on major signing coup with Melbourne Storm centre Curtis Scott

Post by Coastalraider »

So when are we signing Cameron Smith?

Is that was this topic is about - Im confused...
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Pretty sure we already have Sam Williams at halfback buddy.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Post by Northern Raider »

Beejay wrote: November 22, 2019, 10:46 am There’s a big difference between saying Cameron Smith will eventually succumb to mortality and;
Storm would be a better team if they cut Smith loose now and hand the team to Bodie Croft.
Or that it was Cameron Smith that’s holding them back in 2018 or 2019....
Bang. Nailed it. The argument has somehow been skewed away from that.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Edit.
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

Matt wrote: November 21, 2019, 7:29 am
Ruben Daley wrote: November 20, 2019, 8:18 pm
Beejay wrote: November 20, 2019, 7:18 pm
Matt wrote: November 20, 2019, 7:04 pm I'm sure I'm in the minority, and will get blasted for even suggesting this, but I think Storm would actually be better off without Cam Smith. His best is behind him and is actually hindering the youngsters coming through. He also has personality issues with his younger teammates.

A spine of Papenhouzen, Munster, Croft and BSmith with Grant on the bench would be quality. I think these guys and Bellyache would be a top 6 side.
Does the only person on earth count as a minority?
Hahaha. I was going to respond to Matt but reckon you’ve nailed my point, Beejay.
I thought Id get that reaction here, and yes, 1 is a minority.
There are quite a few Storm fans who agree with me.
I actually understand your point that Smith suppresses the younger players (/halves) and agree. I just don’t think that quite translates to the Storm being better off without him next season.

But I hope they go for whichever option results in them losing the most games.
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

Northern Raider wrote: November 22, 2019, 5:14 pm
Beejay wrote: November 22, 2019, 10:46 am There’s a big difference between saying Cameron Smith will eventually succumb to mortality and;
Storm would be a better team if they cut Smith loose now and hand the team to Bodie Croft.

Meanwhile, Croft to the Broncos according to the Mole and a few others.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Brodie Croft reportedly on the brink of joining Broncos pending Melbourne Storm release: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/brodie-cro ... cial-NRLFS

Hopefully that doesn't mean they no longer have to release Curtis Scott.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

The Scott release isn't cap related though?
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

TongueFTW wrote:
The Nickman wrote: November 22, 2019, 6:29 am Jesus, I think a lot of you are completely missing the fact the Storm were just the most dominant minor premiers in history. If Tapine doesn’t knock that ball out of Addo-Carr’s hands they very nearly come close to winning the comp again. It was a very, very good season, despite the fact they didn’t win the comp. In fact, it was better than ours, and history will remember us as not winning the comp either.

The way some of you are talking they’ve just come off a garbage season where they were completely awful. This place is deadset **** strange sometimes.
Couldn’t agree more with this. Addo-Carr holds onto the ball and they win that game, and likely make another GF, having lost 4 games all year.

I actually think the issue is they don’t manage their work load very well. Bellamy is burnt by a single season where he rested players and they lost momentum. Classic overreaction to a small sample size. The season is far too long now to not rest players - Roosters did it very well over the course of the year, and Stuart was certainly vindicated by his decision to give some key players a break in the final week. Melbourne play at a high intensity every week, and have quite a few rep players playing extra games. While I feel we were lucky to pip Melbourne at the death, I do think we were the better side over 80 minutes of that game, and that Melbourne (and Souths) were physically drained by the time the Prelims came around.
Agree with this. Roosters pretty much rested players on a rotational basis after Origin and stumbled their way into the finals - pretty much on the back of Tedesco and were fresh when they hit the finals.

They were talking about how Bellamy rested players a few years back and they were bundled out of the finals and he vowed to never do it again.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

zim wrote: November 22, 2019, 9:53 pm The Scott release isn't cap related though?
Some media reports suggest it is.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

greeneyed wrote: November 22, 2019, 11:11 pm
zim wrote: November 22, 2019, 9:53 pm The Scott release isn't cap related though?
Interesting. I didn't think they'd be overdrawn with that side and their pull.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

zim wrote: November 22, 2019, 11:38 pm
greeneyed wrote: November 22, 2019, 11:11 pm
Interesting. I didn't think they'd be overdrawn with that side and their pull.
That other Camryn Smythe fellow they have on their books seems to take up a fair bit of cap for an unseen junior..
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

greeneyed wrote: November 22, 2019, 9:06 pm Brodie Croft reportedly on the brink of joining Broncos pending Melbourne Storm release: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/brodie-cro ... cial-NRLFS

Hopefully that doesn't mean they no longer have to release Curtis Scott.
Yeah, its definitely a concern. Last week it sounded like it was happening this week and then all of a sudden its gone quiet. This can naturally either mean that views within the storm granting him an early release have changed or they are just rounding out the edgeson the deal. Hopefully there will be sn update soon cause i find this agonising!
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Croft is one season out of Intrust Cup... Surely he can't be freeing up much cap space by the time they fill the spot...
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

Ruben Daley wrote: November 22, 2019, 8:43 pm
Northern Raider wrote: November 22, 2019, 5:14 pm

x 3.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

BadnMean wrote:Croft is one season out of Intrust Cup... Surely he can't be freeing up much cap space by the time they fill the spot...
It's NRL economics my good man.

Shoving it in your face since 2017
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

gergreg wrote: November 23, 2019, 10:24 am
BadnMean wrote:Croft is one season out of Intrust Cup... Surely he can't be freeing up much cap space by the time they fill the spot...

I suppose if they were planning to retain him, they may have kept some money free to reflect his starting halfback role in his extension...
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

gergreg wrote: November 23, 2019, 10:24 am

Is there a chance the track could bend?
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Cranky Old Man wrote: November 22, 2019, 12:41 pm This thread has more points to it tan a garden rake, most of them being off topic, but I'll add a point to make things worse.
Before the Raiders came into being I used to follow the Dragons. I well remember their days when Langlands was their Smith, Billy Smith was their Cronk and on it went. In the early seventies those players were still top players but on the decline from their stellar best.It was obvious to me and many others that for the future of the club it would be better to phase them and several of their aging cohort out of the game. But the club took the more pragmatic view that they could still win games with them that they might not without them. They made the 1975 GF with them, but were embarrassed 38 nilwhen tries were only worth 3 points. The club fell apart then with a rancorousness within the club that hadn't been there for decades. Langlands and Smith and others were punted, and then in one of the greatest coaching feats in the history of the game Harry Bath took them to premierships within a couple of years. I think the Storm should look to that history.
First ever Grand Final replay won by Bath's Babes. Rocket Reddy got away with more 'outside the rules' plays than Cameron Smith, Sam Burgess and Adam Blair combined. But they trounced the Eels 22 blot. Rod McGregor was one of my favourite players back in the day for his grass cutter defensive style.

Back on topic, if Sticky and the recruitment/coaching team see a role for Curtis Scott then who could argue given their recruitment record of the past couple of seasons.
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

Ahh, Red. I can see that you and I need to get on the turps together some time soon and reminisce.
rolhai
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Shaun Fensom

Post by rolhai »

Reddit has a post alleging that Sandor Earl has leaked a centre swap. BJ for Curtis.
https://www.reddit.com/r/nrl/comments/e ... urce=share

Video: https://streamable.com/c7xh1

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk
1985/86: The last time we missed consecutive finals series.....Until STICKY
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

BJ will do really well there and they will improve with a bit of flair to complement their robotic plays.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

rolhai wrote: November 25, 2019, 10:49 am Reddit has a post alleging that Sandor Earl has leaked a centre swap. BJ for Curtis.
https://www.reddit.com/r/nrl/comments/e ... urce=share

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk
https://streamable.com/c7xh1
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Umm why would u swap bj for Scott

BJ is way better then Scott.. turner and Quinn made the nsw team under Bellamy.. Scott pffft
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

papabear wrote: November 25, 2019, 11:06 am Umm why would u swap bj for Scott

BJ is way better then Scott.. turner and Quinn made the nsw team under Bellamy.. Scott pffft
Salary cap and length of contract.

BJ is easily the better player right now, but he costs more, his contract is up for renewal at the end of the year and everyone knows BJ is a rocks and diamonds player. This could fill in with a very talented centre, on less money for a 2-3 year contract, and free up some cash to ensure we can compete with clubs for Wighton/Bateman/Cotric.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

@sandorearl on Twitter

Just a joke lads with all the trade chats going on was too hard to resist!
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

There is no way Melbourne could afford to take on a bigger contract with Leilua over Scott.
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

Thank ****

Again. Unless this trade allowed us to sign Taupau or something. Strong middle forward to compliment Papa.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Seiffert82 wrote: November 25, 2019, 12:20 pm There is no way Melbourne could afford to take on a bigger contract with Leilua over Scott.
They would have a stack of cash with Chambers going and Smith having just 1 year left.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

greeneyed wrote: November 25, 2019, 12:02 pm @sandorearl on Twitter

I don't think he was joking.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

He better have been

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

T_R wrote:
greeneyed wrote: November 25, 2019, 12:02 pm @sandorearl on Twitter

I don't think he was joking.
Probably got pulled into line and had to cover himself.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
In Ricky We Trust
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders end Joey Leilua to Melbourne Storm rumour after Sandor Earl’s prank... but Curtis Scott's move to the Green Machine set for green light

The Daily Telegraph reports that the Melbourne Storm has agreed to Curtis Scott’s move to the Canberra Raiders in 2020, with the clubs set to complete the transfer this week.

But Raiders recruitment guru Peter Mulholland denied that Joey Leilua would be heading to the Storm, after Sandor Earl said Leilua was Melbourne's new recruit, as part of a "prank" on Instagram: “It is not happening. It hasn’t even been discussed.”

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 86dc66d6e7
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Seems like Sandor Earle has been caught trafficking bad jokes.

The World Anti Joking Association won’t have a bar of his actions and has suspended him from further humour use for 4 years.

Mr Earle can appeal to the Jester’s Court of Arbitration.