Curtis Scott signs with Canberra Raiders to end 2023

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Re: Canberra Raiders close in on major signing coup with Melbourne Storm centre Curtis Scott

Post by yeh raiders »

Triggered :roflmao

I can’t wait to see Smith defending on the edge!
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Re: Canberra Raiders close in on major signing coup with Melbourne Storm centre Curtis Scott

Post by Seiffert82 »

The Nickman wrote: November 20, 2019, 9:56 am
Botman wrote: November 20, 2019, 9:21 am
Seiffert82 wrote: November 19, 2019, 11:19 pm I thought Craig Bellamy could create star halfbacks from the dust of the earth and the sweat of his brow.
We still doing this guys?
Really?
To be fair, Bellamy's a pretty ordinary coach, he just got touched on the dick by signing once in a generation players Smith, Cronk, Inglis and Slater.

I predict the Storm will be bog ordinary once Inglis goes to Souths.
Point stands. He needs to find a halfback.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Just saw today in News.com the Storm are planning a bit of a shuffle
Cam Smith > Halfback
Brandon Smith > Hooker
Papenhuyzen > Fullback
Hughes > Replace Scott in Centre

Croft > out
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

You’d have to back them in to get it right but that’s a huge move for Cam Smith to go to halfback full time.
I mean just for that club, Cam Smith has been making the first decision on where the ball goes for the last 15 years, and the subtlety in how that happens.
Another fun thing to watch next year.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

ITs a big stretch based on the traditional role and style of half back.

We have shown this year that those roles can be somewhat reinvented depending on squad. Our main ball player and on field brain was not our halfback. Melbourne of all teams are capable of playing players to thier strengths rather than the general accepted roles.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Bellemy and Robinson doubters are just taking yearly fat, giant L's
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Seiffert82 wrote: November 20, 2019, 10:21 am Point stands. He needs to find a halfback.
Long term, yeah the storm are going to need to find or develop their next halfback
But for next year?
He's got the single greatest Rugby League player to ever step foot on a field playing halfback for him. I think they'll be alright
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

I think they’ll be better with the greatest hooker ever, playing hooker.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

The Nickman wrote:Well... they got lucky this year with some of their wins, but I think once Cam Smith retires they'll have nothing left.

It's not like *checks notes* Craig Bellamy could create star halfbacks from the dust of the earth and the sweat of his brow.
Rumour has it he actually created star players in a petrie dish of spittle extracted from the coaching box. Since toning down his antics the star players have dried up, literally.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

gergreg wrote: November 20, 2019, 11:14 am
The Nickman wrote:Well... they got lucky this year with some of their wins, but I think once Cam Smith retires they'll have nothing left.

It's not like *checks notes* Craig Bellamy could create star halfbacks from the dust of the earth and the sweat of his brow.
Rumour has it he actually created star players in a petrie dish of spittle extracted from the coaching box. Since toning down his antics the star players have dried up, literally.

Agreed. Now he's just got these absolute bums like Cam Munster, Ryan Papenhuyzen and Brandon Smith.

I predict the Storm will struggle in *checks notes* 2020.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Yeah but once he loses Cam Munster and Papenhuyzen and the Smith boys it'll curtains for Bellyache
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Beejay wrote: November 20, 2019, 10:47 am You’d have to back them in to get it right but that’s a huge move for Cam Smith to go to halfback full time.
I mean just for that club, Cam Smith has been making the first decision on where the ball goes for the last 15 years, and the subtlety in how that happens.
They're saying it'll prolong his career, because he won't have the workload at Halfback as he would at Hooker. Im going to be watching them with interest
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

Storm re-signed four players this morning. Scott wasn’t one of them
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Botman wrote: November 20, 2019, 11:57 am Yeah but once he loses Cam Munster and Papenhuyzen and the Smith boys it'll curtains for Bellyache
Agreed. I reckon they'll struggle to make the 8 in 2029.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:
Beejay wrote: November 20, 2019, 10:47 am You’d have to back them in to get it right but that’s a huge move for Cam Smith to go to halfback full time.
They're saying it'll prolong his career, because he won't have the workload at Halfback as he would at Hooker. Im going to be watching them with interest
i won't, I hate watching them along with 14 other teams

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

The Nickman wrote: November 20, 2019, 12:34 pm
Botman wrote: November 20, 2019, 11:57 am Yeah but once he loses Cam Munster and Papenhuyzen and the Smith boys it'll curtains for Bellyache
Agreed. I reckon they'll struggle to make the 8 in 2029.
You hate to see it.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Botman wrote: November 20, 2019, 10:59 am
Seiffert82 wrote: November 20, 2019, 10:21 am Point stands. He needs to find a halfback.
Long term, yeah the storm are going to need to find or develop their next halfback
But for next year?
He's got the single greatest Rugby League player to ever step foot on a field playing halfback for him. I think they'll be alright
Yep, time will tell.

Brandon Smith is a tough little livewire and he'll certainly benefit from having Cameron Smith in the halves taking the pressure off his game next season, but he's obviously no Cameron Smith.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

sprintman wrote: November 20, 2019, 12:19 pm Storm re-signed four players this morning. Scott wasn’t one of them
Not surprising given he already has a contract with them until the end of 2021.

He's available because the Storm have to shed a player or two for cap compliance next season and they have allowed him to talk to other clubs.

But now Cam Smith has told him to stay, so I'm not entirely sure who is running the show down there.
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

Ooft

Responding to speculation about a bombshell switch, Bellamy said Smith is “too valuable” at dummy half to be “mucking around” with the Storm line-up.

“I’m not quite sure how that got out there,” Bellamy told the Herald Sun.

“I can’t ever see him moving to halfback full-time, we might play him there on occasion and have spoken about that over the years, but I’d be very, very, very surprised if he ended up playing halfback full-time.”

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/subsc ... de=premium
KasparRaider
Ken Nagas
Favourite Player: Joe Tapine

Post by KasparRaider »

Can anyone share the DT story called “Why Curtis Stone’s looming arrival will make or break Joey Leilua”
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

I'm sure I'm in the minority, and will get blasted for even suggesting this, but I think Storm would actually be better off without Cam Smith. His best is behind him and is actually hindering the youngsters coming through. He also has personality issues with his younger teammates.

A spine of Papenhouzen, Munster, Croft and BSmith with Grant on the bench would be quality. I think these guys and Bellyache would be a top 6 side.
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW »

Seiffert82 wrote:
But for next year?
Yep, time will tell.

Brandon Smith is a tough little livewire and he'll certainly benefit from having Cameron Smith in the halves taking the pressure off his game next season, but he's obviously no Cameron Smith.
Long term I don’t think B Smith will get moved from his current role. Harry Grant at the Sunshine Coast Falcons is one of the best young players I have seen in a while. He will be the starting hooker by the end of the year.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

KasparRaider wrote: November 20, 2019, 7:01 pm Can anyone share the DT story called “Why Curtis Stone’s looming arrival will make or break Joey Leilua”
I’m betting it is because Curtis’s cooking will lead to Joey putting on too much weight.
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

Matt wrote: November 20, 2019, 7:04 pm I'm sure I'm in the minority, and will get blasted for even suggesting this, but I think Storm would actually be better off without Cam Smith. His best is behind him and is actually hindering the youngsters coming through. He also has personality issues with his younger teammates.

A spine of Papenhouzen, Munster, Croft and BSmith with Grant on the bench would be quality. I think these guys and Bellyache would be a top 6 side.
Does the only person on earth count as a minority?
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

RTW wrote: November 20, 2019, 7:13 pm
Seiffert82 wrote:
But for next year?
Yep, time will tell.

Long term I don’t think B Smith will get moved from his current role. Harry Grant at the Sunshine Coast Falcons is one of the best young players I have seen in a while. He will be the starting hooker by the end of the year.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
One to keep an eye on then. Long term they will certainly need a bit more creativity than BSmith offers. They rely a lot on CSmiths short kicking game too. The big thing they will miss is his leadership and competitivness IMO.

Time will tell.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Matt wrote: November 20, 2019, 7:04 pm I'm sure I'm in the minority, and will get blasted for even suggesting this, but I think Storm would actually be better off without Cam Smith. His best is behind him and is actually hindering the youngsters coming through. He also has personality issues with his younger teammates.

That would be a quality spine. Maybe the squad as a whole would be better but using a spine they already have access to is not the best example.
As good as cheese is he might have already peaked.
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

Beejay wrote: November 20, 2019, 7:18 pm

Hahaha. I was going to respond to Matt but reckon you’ve nailed my point, Beejay.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

@Matt

GIF is private

Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Ruben Daley wrote: November 20, 2019, 8:18 pm
Beejay wrote: November 20, 2019, 7:18 pm

Hahaha. I was going to respond to Matt but reckon you’ve nailed my point, Beejay.
I thought Id get that reaction here, and yes, 1 is a minority.
There are quite a few Storm fans who agree with me.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Hahah, WOW.

Good lord, that's truly one of the worst takes i have ever laid my eyes on... It's masterful, it's beautiful... it's...

Perfect.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

If ever there was a time for one of your *chefs kisses* (TM) thingies it's now.

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Haha that’s great work, Matt. Considering the Storm are coming off the back of their best ever season and Queensland would absolutely snap him up to play Origin again next season if he made himself available.

Superb stuff... Milford > Slater type stuff.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Matt trolling the GH well into the offseason. Excellent work. :clap:
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Don't know if the Storm are better off without Smith, but the fact is he is at the end of his career. The challenge for them is transitioning onto their next phase without Smith, Cronk and Slater.

I thought he was a bit slower this season and he certainly doesn't get the same level of latitude from the refs as he has had during the rest of his career. That's why he cracked the **** and threatened to quit. Not a great sign.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

I'm gonna go on record as saying Smith has jumped the shark.

The diamond ring scam was such a weird move by Greenburg that the mod just shifted. Smiths moments of brilliance are getting rarer. He no longer has Slater and Cronk delivering quality execution again and again after he picks the go. Munster and Papenhuyzen are good, but won't be in future immortals discussions. Papenhuyzen is a rookie and Munster is nowhere near consistent as the two aforementioned.

Melbourne will win more than they lose. They have some good cattle, a big scary pack and a really great winger. But I think they'll go on the slide. You heard it here.