2019 in review - John Bateman

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

This is the eleventh instalment of 2019 in review. As usual, now the Raiders' season is over - the best for 25 years - we are reviewing all 26 players who pulled on a green jersey in first grade this year. So far, we've looked at Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad, Nick Cotric, Jarrod Croker, Joey Leilua, Jordan Rapana, Jack Wighton, Aidan Sezer, Josh Papalii, Josh Hodgson and Sia Soliola.

John Bateman joined the Canberra Raiders from the Wigan Warriors in 2019, and made an instant impact on the National Rugby League. He was a high profile recruit, an England representative - a nominee for the "Man of Steel" award and a premiership winner with the Wigan Warriors in 2018. But the extent of his impact - on the Canberra Raiders and the competition - still surprised many.

He ended the year with a Grand Final appearance and a deserved Dally M Second Rower of the Year award. He was the choice of most commentators and fans as the "buy of the season".

Raiders coach Ricky Stuart said more than once during the year, that he recruited John Bateman because he not only knows how to win, he wants to win, but he has to win. And because of that, he is a great positive influence on his team mates.

"He's been a really big boost for the club since he got here," Stuart said, relatively early in the season. "His energy and enthusiasm around the club, around training is a great lift to the guys. You've got to be a special player, you've got to be a special person to lift other people, inspire other people – and he does that."

There is no doubt in my mind that the aquisition of Bateman was a huge reason behind the Raiders qualifying for their first Grand Final in 25 years.

Bateman appeared in 23 Raiders games this season, missing three games after he fractured an eye socket in the clash with the Panthers at Wagga. He was expected to miss 5-6 weeks after surgery, but made a surprise early come back in the Round 12 clash with the Bulldogs. With the Raiders down on troops due to injury and representative duty, he didn't hesitate in telling coach Stuart he was ready to return early, after a brief sojourn in England. He missed one other game, the Round 25 clash with the Warriors. There was no way the coach was going to risk his X-factor in that match, once it was clear that the Raiders had secured a top four placing.

Bateman started the season at lock, and played two matches in that role, before Ricky Stuart decided it was best for the team that he move to the second row, with Joe Tapine taking over the No. 13 jersey. He played just one more game at lock, the Round 12 match against Canterbury. There has been quite a bit of debate about whether lock or second row is his best position... but I'm not going to argue with the coaches' view on this one, given the results!

Bateman was second to Josh Papalii for most tries amongst the Raiders forwards and ranked third for total try involvements (12), behind Josh Hodgson and Elliott Whitehead. He ranked fourth up against his NRL second row peers for try involvements. Bateman was second amongst the Raiders forwards for average metres gained (105), behind Papalii, and sixth for metres per run. He ranked fourth at the club for tackle breaks (68) and first amongst the forwards. He was also second to David Fifita amongst NRL second rowers for tackle breaks. He was second amongst the Raiders forwards for line breaks, behind Papalii.

Bateman was third at the Raiders for total tackles and second only to Josh Hodgson for average tackles per match. He was inside the top 10 NRL second rowers for average tackles per match. Only Josh Papalii and Siliva Havili had a tackle efficiency rate higher than Bateman at the Raiders - and he was in the top ten NRL second rowers in that department. He did, however, produce more try causes (seven) than any other Raiders forward, and ranked fourth amongst the forwards for line break causes. His average error count and penalties conceded per match were relatively low (around 0.5 per game).

I rated him an average of 7.5/10 through the season and sixth in the total points tally. The latter, due to four missed games, is reflected in a still very impressive overall rating for the season. I rated him an "9" twice, first in the Round 3 win over the Knights. In that game he produced 16 runs for 185 metres, 45 post contact metres, two line breaks, nine tackle breaks, one offload, 41 tackles and 89.1 per cent tackle efficiency. He also rated a "9" in the Round 19 win over the Panthers at Penrith. He scored a try and delivered 13 runs for 165 metres, 69 post contact metres, seven tackle breaks, one one on one steal, two offloads, 42 tackles, 96 per cent tackle efficiency and one kick defused. I rated him an "8" in 11 other matches, including the Grand Final. Week 1 of the finals, when he scored the winning try against the Storm, wasn't far off a "9" either.

Bateman finished third in Canberra Raiders Fans' Choice Player of the Year voting. He took man of the match honours in six matches - Rd 1 V Titans, Rd 3 V Knights, Rd 6 V Broncos, Rd 19 V Panthers, Rd 24 V Sharks and the Finals Wk 1 V Storm.

Bateman was good doing just about everything on a footy field. That included being good in a scrap when things got a bit tough. He won a lot of support amongst the fans for his dedication to family as well. He became a father at a very young age, and is devoted to his daughter and his family in England.

He was selected for the Great Britain Lions southern hemisphere tour at the end of the season - and it was a disappointing one for the team, losing all four Tests against Tonga, New Zealand and Papua New Guinea. However, there is no doubt that Bateman was one of the Lions' very best. Hopefully, he now gets some time to rest and spend some time with family and friends back in England.

Bateman did cause a bit of a stir in Grand Final week, when he made it clear that he was seeking an upgrade on his contract with the Raiders. His new manager no doubt made it clear to him that his current deal was a "bargain" for the Raiders. He quickly had to clarify on Twitter that he was definitely wanting to stay with the Green Machine - but will be looking for the best deal for his family. I've little doubt the Raiders will be letting him slip through their fingers.

How did you rate John Bateman's 2019? Tell us below.

John Bateman's 2019: 8/10

2019 Statistics: (Stats from Fox Sports Lab)
Games: 23
Average minutes: 78
Tries: 5
Try assists: 4
Try contributions: 3
Total try involvements: 12
Total kicks: 13
Kick metres: 142
Kick errors: 1
Total runs: 283
All run metres: 2415
Average metres per carry: 8.5
Average metres per game: 105
Tackle breaks: 68
Offloads: 36
Line breaks: 5
Line break assists: 7
Tackles: 746
Average tackles per game: 32.4
1 on 1 tackles: 24
Missed tackles: 34
Average missed tackles per game: 1.5
Tackle efficiency: 92 per cent
Try causes: 7
Line break causes: 8
Errors: 14
Penalties conceded: 11
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Re: 2019 in review - John Bateman

Post by Matt »

He was our 2nd best player this yr. If Papa is a 9, this bloke is an 8.5. I think both could easily be 0.5 higher than that.
He was the reason we won a lot of those early games, our win record this yr without him was awful.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

9/10 for me. Best **** player in the world. Get 'im up here, I love 'im, I wanna boof 'im!!
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

14/10. Love his desire, and is easily my new favourite Raider.

Kent was saying during the season how he noticed Bateman in a game (I think it was Penrith?) how he got into a bit of niggle with his opposition player, and created a bit of push and shove. When the refs peeled the players off each other, he gave Whitehead a bit of a wink, because he knew from that scuffle that they had nothing and we had the game in the bag.

Love that bit of insight.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

He's so good to watch. Such a cheeky rascal. No right to be as strong or effective as he is.

Is he that good every year? If so, it's going to be a good season next year.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

9/10. The whole change in how we play was only possible because of what he brings.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

How good is John Bateman ?

Geez..he has blown my mind in 2019. What a player..

Mongrel, attitude and skill.

The guys a maniac..he gets a 9.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Unmitigated success as an NRL player. One of our best and Dally M 2nd rower of the year. Paps was our best at 9/10 so have to drop him half a point and go 8.5/10
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: November 18, 2019, 1:39 pm Image
:roflmao :thumbsup :cmon
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Probably our most important signing in a long time for the "culture" and win at all costs mentality stuff we saw from the team this year
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I don’t much buy into the empty cliches that get spun about players “desire to win” or “competitiveness”

But when I heard Stuart talk about Bateman and say some players want to want to win and others have to win, I thought it really aligned with how I see him as a player
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

I’m worried that being away from daughter will severely shorten his stay with us. Hope I’m wrong..
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Love to punch on with this bloke and then sniff his head.
This place is woke.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

[awkward silence]
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Biggest pest currently in the game. And we love him for it, because he's ours.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

gergreg wrote:Biggest pest currently in the game. And we love him for it, because he's ours.

Haha agreed. But that’s enough about Question, back to John Bateman, what a champion
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

gergreg wrote: November 18, 2019, 8:45 pm Biggest pest currently in the game. And we love him for it, because he's ours.

Haha, watched the recent GB Tests with my Mrs.

Bateman gets the ball 2nd phase, but flat footed, not much on. Proceeds to run at the nearest defender, palm him directly in the face, squirm away and repeat the palm to the face to another player.

"Oh my god, this guy is such a ... pest!"
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

I still say it’s the best debut season ever from a Raider - and that’s saying something given the quality of players we have had at the club.

The thing about him is - he can play any style of game. If it becomes a down and dirty grind, he is comfortable slogging. If it becomes a points shoot out, he has plenty of X factor. He is so much fun to watch - and given we lost every game he didn’t play, it tells you how important he is. He and Whitehead are a truly world class back row.
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

The stories I heard from Mr McIntyre when he arrived at the club that he just lifted the whole joint to have to win, not want to win, tells me how important this signing was.

Hope he extends soon

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
In Ricky We Trust