Curtis Scott signs with Canberra Raiders to end 2023

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

julian87
Laurie Daley

Re: Canberra Raiders close in on major signing coup with Melbourne Storm centre Curtis Scott

Post by julian87 »

Making Croker move to wing now would cripple him IMO.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: Canberra Raiders close in on major signing coup with Melbourne Storm centre Curtis Scott

Post by Botman »

julian87 wrote: November 17, 2019, 8:29 pm Making Croker move to wing now would cripple him IMO.
Julz... Croker isnt moving to the wing, he's going to be the captain and starting at #3 for as long as he's active and Stuart is the coach. THis guy is as locked into this club as Stuart and DFJ. Nothing anyone can say matters beyond that.
He's going to be our centre as long as he's capable. The club believes in him as a player, as a leader and as a clubman in that order.

People can say what they want to say, if Curtis Scott is coming to replace someone, it's Beej. Not Croker. Whatever people want to say or think about that is whatever. But that's what it is.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Given Croker is currently a better centre than Curtis Scott - and is level headed, a hell of a goal kicker and vastly more experienced, then yeah, it's fair to say he'll probably be starting over him.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

:roflmao :roflmao :roflmao

Don't ever change Greenhouse, don't ever change.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Good point. I forgot the bit where every other centre in the comp is better than Jarrod Croker. That's obviously why the coaching staff are so keen to extend his contract.

Tedious topics aside, the only question here is whether Scott is coming in to immediately replace Leilua next season, or of he is fighting it out with Cotric and Simonsson for a wing spot.

It'd be remarkable if we had the spare cash to sign him while retaining Leilua.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

I think we could carry both. We freed up a lot of cap space in 19 when we let boyd, paulo and austin go. They said at the time that wed have cap space in 2020. Theyve said we could have retained sezer and bj this year. If sezer goes youd expect that his cash would be spent on scott. For the record i reckon leilua will leave not cause of the cap, but because 3 1st grade centres doesnt fit into 2
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

I think Scott is using the money we would have had set aside for half a year of Rapana. We'd be mad to let Leilua go IMO, we already look a little low on strike in the outside backs.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Good point about the Rapana money. Scott is a hell of a depth player, especially on the sort of money he was on at the Storm (reportedly $500k per season). That's a lot of cash tied up in our centres.

We'd be crazy to let Leilua go if we can afford to keep him. I'm just interested in what the plan is with Scott. Maybe the Storm were willing to carry some of the freight for 2020 and we expect him to slot into Leilua's position in 2021?

I also suspect the Raiders still won't stand in Leilua's way if his manager finds him a good extension elsewhere. There were obviously a few clubs interested in throwing big money at Mitchell, so I suspect those same clubs may also be interested in a player like Leilua, once the Mitchell thing is sorted.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Theres been a lot of suggestion that scott coming may mean we lose bj for 2020. I think theres more a chance of a scott for sezer trade for 2020 with bj to move on in 2021
Dont delete this GE
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

simo wrote: November 18, 2019, 7:23 am Theres been a lot of suggestion that scott coming may mean we lose bj for 2020. I think theres more a chance of a scott for sezer trade for 2020 with bj to move on in 2021
You and others might well be right.
Ive based my assumptions on that i think he has probably shown enough to get a decent sized deal and a walk up starting spot, which i guess is a lot to assume... but if that money and opportunity just isnt there, maybe we're good with Beej and him.

Im pretty high on Scott's talent, so it's just hard for me to imagine someone like the tigers, or bulldogs, or the knights wouldnt take a punt on him. Id be over the moon if we could get him and keep Beej
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

Botman wrote: November 18, 2019, 8:30 am
simo wrote: November 18, 2019, 7:23 am Theres been a lot of suggestion that scott coming may mean we lose bj for 2020. I think theres more a chance of a scott for sezer trade for 2020 with bj to move on in 2021
You and others might well be right.
Ive based my assumptions on that i think he has probably shown enough to get a decent sized deal and a walk up starting spot, which i guess is a lot to assume... but if that money and opportunity just isnt there, maybe we're good with Beej and him.

Im pretty high on Scott's talent, so it's just hard for me to imagine someone like the tigers, or bulldogs, or the knights wouldnt take a punt on him. Id be over the moon if we could get him and keep Beej
My thought line is that the storm are in need of a half and while we arent in need of a centre immediately, our depth in outside backs isnt great and this would allow competition for spots and rep cover while future proofing us for 2021 and beyond depending on what bj does
Dont delete this GE
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

I'd prefer Scott over BJ
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

People seriously under rate the work bj does from our end of the park
Dont delete this GE
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

julian87 wrote: November 17, 2019, 8:18 pm
Brew wrote: November 17, 2019, 6:22 pm He comes from the the Storm system and has won a premiership. He could turn out to be a better signing than Loxmax and hopefully cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Christ these are the 2 biggest non events in determining if a player is any good.
He actually came from the Sharks system and was singed by the Storm...
In any event - it is a non event.

I like the signing. I especially like it if we happen to lose BJ.

Scott is a defensive minded centre, which is exactly what we need FIRST. We made the GF on the back of an improved defensive attitude and structure and this is where I want to see the Club further progress.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

simo wrote: November 18, 2019, 8:59 am People seriously under rate the work bj does from our end of the park
It’s criminal really. When you lose BJ, you lose an attacking strike weapon and middle forward. We’ve already lost Rapana, I’m not sure we can afford to lose BJ right now too.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I wouldnt take Scott over BJ. Or Scott over Croker...

but if Stuart, DFJ and Mulholland are looking at moving away from Beej this year or at the end of next, i dont mind taking a punt on Scott as his replacement.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Good signing. BJ is a better centre but we can't afford to pay to keep him much longer.
If BJ sticks around for 2020 Scott will end up starting on the wing. Will be interesting to see how that plays out.
If BJ moves on Scott will be at right centre.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Botman wrote: November 18, 2019, 9:33 am I wouldnt take Scott over BJ. Or Scott over Croker...

but if Stuart, DFJ and Mulholland are looking at moving away from Beej this year or at the end of next, i dont mind taking a punt on Scott as his replacement.
Yeah by all means, Scott’s a talented player with plenty of promise.

Just in terms of team balance, I don’t think it’s the best move right now if it means punting BJ immediately.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Scott was in the 2018 origin mix, I like the recruitment

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

zim wrote: November 18, 2019, 9:35 am Good signing. BJ is a better centre but we can't afford to pay to keep him much longer.
If BJ sticks around for 2020 Scott will end up starting on the wing. Will be interesting to see how that plays out.
If BJ moves on Scott will be at right centre.
Is he a better winger than Simonsen?
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

I doubt it. But he's not coming here for the bench or Mounties. He could get a start at a number of other clubs.
Nadruku
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Nadruku

Post by Nadruku »

Luciano Leilua just signed for Tigers. BJ to follow and play with his bro?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Seiffert82 wrote: November 18, 2019, 6:43 am Good point about the Rapana money. Scott is a hell of a depth player, especially on the sort of money he was on at the Storm (reportedly $500k per season). That's a lot of cash tied up in our centres.

We'd be crazy to let Leilua go if we can afford to keep him. I'm just interested in what the plan is with Scott. Maybe the Storm were willing to carry some of the freight for 2020 and we expect him to slot into Leilua's position in 2021?

I also suspect the Raiders still won't stand in Leilua's way if his manager finds him a good extension elsewhere. There were obviously a few clubs interested in throwing big money at Mitchell, so I suspect those same clubs may also be interested in a player like Leilua, once the Mitchell thing is sorted.
I think you're on point. The way Stuart raved about having an outside back on the bench for the final quarter of last year we can safely assume that'll be the line of thinking. Scott in 14 makes the most sense I guess, with a view to taking BJ's spot in 2021.
luke
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by luke »

Nadruku wrote: November 18, 2019, 1:29 pm Luciano Leilua just signed for Tigers. BJ to follow and play with his bro?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It all makes sense now ...
sprintman
Brett Mullins

Post by sprintman »

Luciano Leilua supposedly signed Tigers. Maybe BJ will join him there, as they have $$.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

sprintman wrote: November 18, 2019, 2:45 pm Luciano Leilua supposedly signed Tigers. Maybe BJ will join him there, as they have $$.
Aren't they gunning for Latrell?
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
sprintman
Brett Mullins

Post by sprintman »

Northern Raider wrote: November 18, 2019, 3:00 pm
sprintman wrote: November 18, 2019, 2:45 pm Luciano Leilua supposedly signed Tigers. Maybe BJ will join him there, as they have $$.
Apparently
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Post by Northern Raider »

sprintman wrote: November 18, 2019, 4:34 pm
Northern Raider wrote: November 18, 2019, 3:00 pm
Apparently
If they give Latrell the money he wants then harder to get BJ.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
sprintman
Brett Mullins

Post by sprintman »

Just in that the Roosters have wiped Latrell. Only Tigers and Cowboys left it seems.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Given the money thrown around for Mitchell by the Tigers, Roosters and Cowboys I can only presume that any of those clubs that miss out on him will be in a position to offer Leilua a decent contract if they are interested in a quality centre.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Yeah i could see BJ being considered a pretty solid back up plan for a team like the tigers who feel like they need a strike centre.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Love a loose unit... bring it Donald.
This place is woke.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

The thing is though that the tigers and cowboys are looking at him as a full back, and that’s how his manager is shopping him.

The team that misses out won’t see BJ as the next best option.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Coastalraider wrote:The thing is though that the tigers and cowboys are looking at him as a full back, and that’s how his manager is shopping him.

Unless that team is the Roosters?

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

gergreg wrote: November 18, 2019, 8:48 pm
Coastalraider wrote:The thing is though that the tigers and cowboys are looking at him as a full back, and that’s how his manager is shopping him.

Unless that team is the Roosters?

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
Did we just get 4d chessed and now Rorter's lose overpaid, loose canon Latrine who wants $1 mill to replace him with overpaid, loose canon BJ who wants $600k ? If so we lose the right to bleat about the cap ever again.