All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Re: Jack Wighton turns down Raiders option to go on open market for 2021

Post by -PJ- »

Geez..

If Jack could squeeze $1mil out of Canberra imagine what he could squeeze out of the Wolfpack..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Like everything footy is a business and I’d never expect a player to put club loyalty over his ability to maximise profits from his career. I do think there are ways you go about it though and I’m not totally comfortable with how Jack and Bateman have been playing their cards. I fully expect both to be in green next year and I’ll cheer them both on, but on some level there is a bit of a sour taste developing - I can’t quite explain it because I’m all for players getting what they are worth and if Jack ends up somewhere on $1m good on him. I just don’t like how he has gone about it. Am I being unfair? How are others feeling?
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Billy Walker wrote: November 11, 2019, 7:55 am Like everything footy is a business and I’d never expect a player to put club loyalty over his ability to maximise profits from his career. I do think there are ways you go about it though and I’m not totally comfortable with how Jack and Bateman have been playing their cards. I fully expect both to be in green next year and I’ll cheer them both on, but on some level there is a bit of a sour taste developing - I can’t quite explain it because I’m all for players getting what they are worth and if Jack ends up somewhere on $1m good on him. I just don’t like how he has gone about it. Am I being unfair? How are others feeling?
I would submit that the sour taste is coming more from the fact neither of these guys plays for the Broncos.
And likely never will. Which must be personally very upsetting for you.
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

Wasnt it reported he was on 900k in the option year of his contract. So going to 1 million isnt that far of a jump anyway.
Since signing that previous contract he has made NSW team , Australian team and is the Clive Churchill medal winner
Id rather pay 1 million for Jack than Ben Hunt or a couple of other players mentioned in that bracket
Ilanraiders
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Rubenrunlikeatrainandhitlikeatruckwiki!

Post by Ilanraiders »

Really hope Jack stays.
But if he does get paid a million, then he will have to step up and deliver. Yes he is a SOO and Kangaroos player but he isn’t a premiership winner yet.
"Learn to appreciate what you have, before time makes you appreciate what you had"!! RAIDERSTILLIDIE!!
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

gangrenous wrote: November 10, 2019, 8:53 pm
Matt wrote:
FROG wrote: November 10, 2019, 7:44 pm I agree. No way hes a million dollar player. I reckon 750k is about what he is worth. Lets not forget, he is an international center, not an international half. 750k makes him one of the highestvpaid centers which is about right. We must take a leaf out of the sharks and roosters book and let him go for anything over 800k
Your rep jumper number means very little to your club. What matters is that you HAVE a rep jumper.

The $ value/worth is based on the position you play for your club. He is a spine player here, and therefore you weigh up spine $.
That’s half correct and half bollocks.

His position he plays for his club is most critical in setting the expected price range.

However, the fact that he is pushed out of that spot at rep level means he is not absolutely top tier in that position. That reduces the value of the rep jumper somewhat. Though obviously it is not without value, given the rep team has found a place to play him.
Ummm... Thats exactly what I said. Where he plays for us is most important. The fact that he has a rep jumper gives him a value boost.

Playing for NSW arguably makes you a top 34 player in the country. Given he starts for Australia, the argument is that he is one of the top 13-17 players in the country. Id say that make him top tier.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Doesn't seem like there's any new information here from the last time where it was all about his new management getting the dosh instead of the old one.

Clive Churchill winner. Kangaroo starter. Blues starter. Spine player. Club junior. There are worse arguments to make for bumping a guy by 100k, but I think we'll be able to keep him here for under the mill.
luke
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by luke »

Billy Walker wrote: November 11, 2019, 7:55 am Like everything footy is a business and I’d never expect a player to put club loyalty over his ability to maximise profits from his career. I do think there are ways you go about it though and I’m not totally comfortable with how Jack and Bateman have been playing their cards. I fully expect both to be in green next year and I’ll cheer them both on, but on some level there is a bit of a sour taste developing - I can’t quite explain it because I’m all for players getting what they are worth and if Jack ends up somewhere on $1m good on him. I just don’t like how he has gone about it. Am I being unfair? How are others feeling?
Yeah, agree. The Bateman one in particular (in GF week) was not good.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

LimeGreenMachine wrote: November 11, 2019, 8:18 am Wasnt it reported he was on 900k in the option year of his contract. So going to 1 million isnt that far of a jump anyway.
Since signing that previous contract he has made NSW team , Australian team and is the Clive Churchill medal winner
Id rather pay 1 million for Jack than Ben Hunt or a couple of other players mentioned in that bracket
If you want to compare $1m players then Jack Bird would be the closest one in type. Injuries aside I doubt the Broncos felt they were getting true value for money.

Interesting when you look at the top earners in the game. Less than half of those $1m+ players are earning their keep. There are some genuinely horrible deals near the top of the list (from club's perspective).

https://www.zerotackle.com/rugby-league ... d-players/

So many signed on expectation of what the might deliver and have failed to do so.

You can be selective about Wighton being better than somebody who gets paid more but a club can measure a player's current worth based on a bad deal by another club.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

You can look at that list in couple of ways. At least half are not producing what you would expect for a million dollar player, and clubs would be miffed at that.

But if you compare jack with the players that ARE currently on a mill, its easy to see why he and his manager think he is worth it - he outplayed the bulk of them this year. Hunt, Boyd, Morgan, Milford, Pearce, Taylor - its easy to see why he values himself in that bracket.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

It's an interesting period where so many $1mill deals have gone sour that clubs are beginning to push back against them, whilst players and managers are pushing deals based on, "well X and Y are million dollar players so I should be too".

Jack is playing in the spine. In the GF team. He was the half most instrumental in our success, not the second fiddle and he played a great year. He had no glaring weaknesses in his game (try assists arguable) and a number of key strengths. He's playing Kangaroos and Origins (not in that position). He's probably in the top 2 contenders to be NSW 5/8 next year.

If we were silly enough to already be paying him 900k, then he's got a strong case for the mill.

I wonder if clubs that baulked on Latrell would feel better paying that to Jack- who at least is proven in a spine position, unlike Latrell.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Only Tedesco and Trbojevic are genuine $1m players on that list, maybe Taumalolo. The rest aren't delivering value.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

greeneyed wrote: November 11, 2019, 2:48 pm Only Tedesco and Trbojevic are genuine $1m players on that list, maybe Taumalolo. The rest aren't delivering value.
I’d have Taumololo ahead of Trbojevic to be honest but agree there are a lot of overpaid under performers on that list. I thought Mulholand’s comments about Hodgo’s value were well made. Not that he’s a million dollar player yet but about the value he brings to the team - it suggested to me he was putting a higher value on Hodgo than Wighton. I think we have some very good players at Raiders but none worth $1m/season at this stage. For mine Papa needs to be in the discussion about Raiders most valuable!
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

The Raiders have to make a decision on who they want in the core group of players. They are the ones to keep and get the big bucks. The Storm have been successful in this but the Bronco's and possibly the Cowboys and Manly have not. One injury or series of injuries and the clubs struggle. A player of Cameron Smith's remarkable durability also has to be taken into account. There are few players who can perform season after season like him.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Post by Northern Raider »

BadnMean wrote: November 11, 2019, 2:21 pm It's an interesting period where so many $1mill deals have gone sour that clubs are beginning to push back against them, whilst players and managers are pushing deals based on, "well X and Y are million dollar players so I should be too".

Jack is playing in the spine. In the GF team. He was the half most instrumental in our success, not the second fiddle and he played a great year. He had no glaring weaknesses in his game (try assists arguable) and a number of key strengths. He's playing Kangaroos and Origins (not in that position). He's probably in the top 2 contenders to be NSW 5/8 next year.

If we were silly enough to already be paying him 900k, then he's got a strong case for the mill.

I wonder if clubs that baulked on Latrell would feel better paying that to Jack- who at least is proven in a spine position, unlike Latrell.
This is true. Ultimately it's the clubs determine a player's value. It's like real estate. Only the person willing to put the money on the table can truly value your property.

Your 1st paragraph is the key one though. With so many dud deals at the top end you can expect clubs to be more hesitant about forking out huge dollars for individuals unless they are well proven commodities.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Jack Wighton turns down Raiders option to go on open market for 2021

Post by gangrenous »

Matt wrote:
gangrenous wrote: November 10, 2019, 8:53 pm
Matt wrote:
FROG wrote: November 10, 2019, 7:44 pm I agree. No way hes a million dollar player. I reckon 750k is about what he is worth. Lets not forget, he is an international center, not an international half. 750k makes him one of the highestvpaid centers which is about right. We must take a leaf out of the sharks and roosters book and let him go for anything over 800k
Your rep jumper number means very little to your club. What matters is that you HAVE a rep jumper.

The $ value/worth is based on the position you play for your club. He is a spine player here, and therefore you weigh up spine $.
That’s half correct and half bollocks.

His position he plays for his club is most critical in setting the expected price range.

However, the fact that he is pushed out of that spot at rep level means he is not absolutely top tier in that position. That reduces the value of the rep jumper somewhat. Though obviously it is not without value, given the rep team has found a place to play him.
Ummm... Thats exactly what I said. Where he plays for us is most important. The fact that he has a rep jumper gives him a value boost.

Playing for NSW arguably makes you a top 34 player in the country. Given he starts for Australia, the argument is that he is one of the top 13-17 players in the country. Id say that make him top tier.
It seems you missed my point. I disagree that the position he plays at rep is meaningless in establishing he is top tier in the position he plays for his club.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Jack's Instagram story has him towing a boat out of a garage. Some vintage Melbourne Storm cap management at play perhaps?
benda
Brett Mullins

Post by benda »

Wighton at a million dollars is a gamble that I think will pay off. But it's a gamble.

He isn't an origin half. And let's face it he isn't in the centre ranks either (which is kinda beside the point anyway).

He has a lot more to prove. I think he can do it and is worth the gamble.

Do I think there are a lot of clubs prepared to pay him the million dollars? No
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

benda wrote: November 11, 2019, 7:16 pm Wighton at a million dollars is a gamble that I think will pay off. But it's a gamble.

He isn't an origin half. And let's face it he isn't in the centre ranks either (which is kinda beside the point anyway).

He has a lot more to prove. I think he can do it and is worth the gamble.

Do I think there are a lot of clubs prepared to pay him the million dollars? No
I think that’s the key question- will anyone else be willing to cough up $1m. If the answer is yes and we want Jack then we need to match it, if the answer is no then we don’t need to either. Will be interesting to see how it plays out. My prediction is that he will stay with us for less than a million per season.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Billy... take a hint...
Botman
Mal Meninga

Jack Wighton turns down Raiders option to go on open market for 2021

Post by Botman »

My prediciton is Billy Walker will be banned from the GH before the off season is out
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Botman wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote: November 10, 2019, 6:38 pm He's worth what someone is willing to pay him really
Correct.
Does that make Ash Taylor "worth" a million bucks a year?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Botman wrote:My prediciton is Billy Walker will be banned from the GH before the off season is out
Should we take bets on his next username? It’s always a name of some sort...

My pick is jordyraps
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

dubby wrote: November 11, 2019, 7:48 pm
Botman wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote: November 10, 2019, 6:38 pm He's worth what someone is willing to pay him really
Correct.
Does that make Ash Taylor "worth" a million bucks a year?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Yes. That's how the market works.
Is that what i would be willing to pay right now? No. But his worth to me is not his worth to another person.
And as i keep saying, negotiations arent about worth... so forget worth. You dont get what you're worth, you get what you have the leverage to negotiate.

Ash Taylor had all the leverage and got paid accordingly. And thus the market determined his worth to that franchise at the time.
And there wasnt a lot push back on paying a prodigious talent like him, top dollar, in a market that needed to retain it's face in a time where it was, and still is trying to establish itself.... i mean its all connected. Value is not always purely on the paddock. And deals arent signed based on what you've done, they're signed on what you can do into the future.

It'll be the same for us. What happens after that, whether Jack Wighton lives up to the deal or not... doesnt matter. He has the leverage, we dont and he'll get the deal from us that makes him happy and we'll eat it and hope it pays off.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

The Rickman wrote:
Botman wrote:My prediciton is Billy Walker will be banned from the GH before the off season is out

My pick is jordyraps
Simmo#5

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

The Rickman wrote: November 11, 2019, 8:02 pm

My pick is jordyraps
Could also start taking bets on which overpaid player the Broncos destroy next, after Milford and Holmes. David Fifita looking odds on favourite at this stage.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

-TW- wrote: November 11, 2019, 9:07 pm
The Rickman wrote:

My pick is jordyraps
Simmo#5

Plz no
Dont delete this GE
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Like I said 600 posts back, I don't really care if he gets his million so long as it's not all on the cap. The club's got to find a way to keep the majority of this squad together and that isn't going to happen without some decent TPAs.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Seiffert82 wrote:

My pick is jordyraps
Could also start taking bets on which overpaid player the Broncos destroy next, after Milford and Holmes. David Fifita looking odds on favourite at this stage.
For some reason Billy seems to stay out of all discussions about what a hot garbage fire the broncos continue to be, doesn’t he?
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

The Rickman wrote: November 12, 2019, 7:59 am
Seiffert82 wrote:

My pick is jordyraps
For some reason Billy seems to stay out of all discussions about what a hot garbage fire the broncos continue to be, doesn’t he?
It's quite the coincidence! For a team with every financial, logistical and commercial advantage in the competition, 1 premiership in the past 20 years is hardly a glowing result.

They really are a steaming pile of trash at the moment. I'm not sure what is going on with the club, but players are now wanting overs to stay and they can't even hold onto their best junior talent right across the state. It's quite bizarre.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders crank up retention talks with Jack Wighton and Jarrod Croker

Canberra will crank up a multimillion-dollar retention drive with Jack Wighton and Jarrod Croker first cabs off the rank from their grand final back line. Croker, Wighton, Nick Cotric and Joey Leilua all come off contract in 2020. Talks with both Croker and Wighton will get under way in the next week when CEO Don Furner returns from the UK.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/11/13/can ... on-croker/
nachopants
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by nachopants »

Hopefully Foran doesn't "medically retire"

The Dogs could throw $1.2m at Wighton comfortably if they chose to
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Would he want 1.2m a season to play in a hot garbage fire of a team?

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Where is this $1.2m coming from? 😂
nachopants
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by nachopants »

Well they're massively under the cap for 2021 right?

And Foran's on $1m. So they only need to scrape together a bit...