2019 in review - Jack Wighton

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

This is the sixth instalment of 2019 in review. As usual, now the Raiders' season is over - the best for 25 years - we are reviewing all 26 players who pulled on a green jersey in first grade this year. So far, we've looked at Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad, Nick Cotric, Jarrod Croker, Joey Leilua and Jordan Rapana.

2018 was not the best of years for Canberra Raiders fullback Jack Wighton. That had nothing to do with how he performed on field, rather off field indiscretions that saw him found guilty of assault and suspended by the NRL for the final 10 weeks of the competition. 2019 saw him turn that right around, successfully making the transition from fullback to five eighth, making his debut for the Blues and the Kangaroos and winning the Clive Churchill Medal, the best on the ground in the Grand Final.

For mine, his best game of the season came in the Grand Final, when I rated him a "9". He scored the Raiders' only try of the game, and produced 10 runs for 97 metres, 31 post contact metres, one line break, six tackle breaks, 17 tackles, 85 per cent tackle efficiency, 253 kicking metres from 13 kicks and one forced line drop out. I rated him an "8" in six games (Rd 7 V Sea Eagles, Rd 8 V Panthers, Rd 9 V Roosters, Rd 11 V Cowboys, Rd 23 V Sea Eagles and the Preliminary Final)... and an average of 6.9/10 during the season. My overall rating of 8/10, reflects his strong contribution to the Green Machine's season.

Wighton finished fourth in Fans' Choice voting, second behind Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad amongst the Raiders' backs. He took Fans' Choice Man of the Match honours in six games (Rd 7 V Sea Eagles, Rd 8 V Panthers, Rd 11 V Cowboys, Rd 14 V Sharks, Rd 23 V Sea Eagles and the Grand Final).

Wighton made 26 appearances in green in 2019. The only match he missed was due to State of Origin duty. He ranked third at the club in the try scoring stakes (9), and equal third amongst regular NRL five eighths. No player at the Raiders produced more try involvements (25) and he was second only to Josh Hodgson for try assists (10). He also delivered 13 line break assists. He was outside the top 10 NRL five eighths for try assists and line break assists - but his running game was a real strength. He ranked first amongst the regular NRL five eighths for total running metres and running metres per match. He was second at the Raiders for total tackle breaks (72) and second amongst regular NRL five eighths. He finished equal fifth for line breaks at the club (10).

Wighton took on a leading role in the Raiders' kicking game in 2019, and overall, he performed admirably. He averaged more kicking metres than any player at the club (235 metres from just under eight kicks per game). That placed him inside the top 20 NRL players for kicking metres per match. He got two 40/20 kicks and forced 15 line drop outs. He was inside the top 10 NRL players for 40/20s and just outside the top 10 for FDOs. Though he ranked equal first with Anthony Milford and Mitchell Pearce for kicks dead (10), his weighted kicking game was good. Overall, he was well down the list of NRL players for kick errors.

Jack Wighton was often criticised for his error rate and positioning in defence at fullback. But he's always been a tough, aggressive defender, with good technique. His tackling ability was a key reason that Ricky Stuart wanted him at five eighth. It was part of the overall strategy to fix the Raiders' defensive woes. It paid off. Wighton was second only to Josh Hodgson at the Raiders for one on one tackles (26). He averaged two missed tackles per game (0.5 per game in 2018), ranking fifth at the club. But he lifted his tackle efficiency to 84 per cent (82 per cent in 2018), while quadrupling his defensive workload. He produced just nine try causes, compared with six in half a season in 2018. He was way down the list of NRL five eighths for try causes, line break causes and missed tackles. That said, his tackle efficiency rate was below the bench mark amongst NRL five eighths.

Wighton's error count rose in 2019, doubling to 1.5 per match. That's going to happen when you touch the ball as often as one of the halves. He was by no means the worst amongst NRL five eighths in this department, and was on par with Luke Kearey. His discipline was good, conceding just one penalty every two games.

When Ricky Stuart first came to the Raiders, he shifted Jack Wighton to five eighth - and he played the first nine games of 2014 in the No. 6. It was a failed experiment and the move came too early in Wighton's career. Five years later, Wighton's shift to the halves has been an unqualified success. A Clive Churchill Medal, three appearances for the Blues and two for the Kangaroos followed. Wighton has given us a great redemption story in 2019 - after the off field incidents of 2018. Too often, those redemption stories for Raiders players have come after they've moved to other clubs. Gladly, not in the case of Jack Wighton.

How did you rate Jack Wighton's 2019? Tell us below.

Jack Wighton's 2019: 8/10

2019 Statistics: (Stats from Fox Sports Lab)
Games: 26
Average minutes: 80
Tries: 9
Try assists: 10
Try contributions: 6
Total try involvements: 25
Total kicks: 198
Kick metres: 6123
40/20’s: 2
Forced line drop outs: 15
Average kicks per match: 7.6
Average kicking metres per match: 235
Kicks dead: 10
Kicking errors: 11
Total runs: 224
All run metres: 2375
Average metres per carry: 10.6
Average metres per game: 91
Tackle breaks: 72
Offloads: 10
Line breaks: 10
Line break assists: 13
Tackles: 414
Average tackles per game: 15.9
1 on 1 tackles: 62
Missed tackles: 52
Average missed tackles per game: 2
Tackle efficiency: 84 per cent
Try causes: 9
Errors: 38
Penalties conceded: 14
Sin bins: 1
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Re: 2019 in review - Jack Wighton

Post by BadnMean »

8/10, yes.

When Jack was good, we won. When he had an off night (Parra) we struggled to put anything together. We won a lot more than we lost and Jacks form was more consistent than in past seasons. Showed his worth in the GF, really stepped up. Great try.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Given CNK got an 8 too, Im happy with an 8.
On reflection, give that these two were among our top 4 players, its probably a little low, maybe both should be bumped up half a mark.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

8/10

Pay him...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

8/10 seems good to me.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

I said at the start of the season Jack needed to be better at 5/8 than he has been at fullback for this move to be a success. Without question he has been. Plus with CNK going so well at the back this move actually upgraded both spots. The results speak for themselves.

Moving to the halves we all knew Wighton would have no issue breaking the line or throwing a pass to his outside men. The biggest concern was taking a lot more responsibility on 5th tackle plays, mainly tactical kicking. Most of us would shudder a little if Jack got the ball on the last as he didn't have a lot of control in his boot. Have to say that part of his game improved out of sight this year. He added a lot more finesse to his kicking game and became a much more reliable option on the last tackle. Credit to the coaches and to Jack for the work that went into this. Well and truly paid off.

Of course we can't overlook one of the main reasons Sticky made the shift. Solidifying our defense. Fair to say it worked. :)
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

8/10 is spot on, Ferg. Hopefully 2020 will be even better.

I honestly don't remember a season where a player has looked certain to score and been stopped at the last second or metre more than Jack did this year.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Yep happy with 8 and could have been convinced 8.5. He’s not worth $1m though. A real test for DFJ here...
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Billy Walker wrote: November 11, 2019, 12:38 pm Yep happy with 8 and could have been convinced 8.5. He’s not worth $1m though. A real test for DFJ here...
So if you let him walk who do you replace him with?
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Croker to 5/8.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

It really is amazing how many players Billy would let walk... presumably to the Broncos.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Yep happy with 8 and could have been convinced 8.5. He’s not worth $1m though. A real test for DFJ here... let’s keep him in green but be sensible about it!
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: November 11, 2019, 12:45 pm
Billy Walker wrote: November 11, 2019, 12:38 pm Yep happy with 8 and could have been convinced 8.5. He’s not worth $1m though. A real test for DFJ here...
If you’re opening up $1m in cap space we have options. This year Jack was good at 6 but we struggled at 7 most the season and only missed out by a whisker. Hopefully George Williams is a big upgrade at 7 so you could argue we could offset a slight drop at 6. I don’t want to see Jack go but I don’t believe he’s worth $1m and if he gets it elsewhere good on him. I’d like to see DFJ hold firm on a fair offer well below the $1m and be prepared to lose him if that’s what it comes to. You can’t be held to random by player agents.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Billy Walker wrote: November 11, 2019, 12:59 pm
Roger Kenworthy wrote: November 11, 2019, 12:45 pm
If you’re opening up $1m in cap space we have options. This year Jack was good at 6 but we struggled at 7 most the season and only missed out by a whisker. Hopefully George Williams is a big upgrade at 7 so you could argue we could offset a slight drop at 6. I don’t want to see Jack go but I don’t believe he’s worth $1m and if he gets it elsewhere good on him. I’d like to see DFJ hold firm on a fair offer well below the $1m and be prepared to lose him if that’s what it comes to. You can’t be held to random by player agents.
Does anyone care what this guy thinks??
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Out of curiosity - how are missed tackles calculated and attributed on a team and individual basis?

If I add up all the individual average missed tackles per game it would be a number that makes us look like the worst defensive team in the comp which isn’t the case.

If Teddy slices between Papa and Wighton would you say they both missed a tackle individually, but it counts as one miss for the team?

Similarly, if Burgess takes a hit up and is met by Hodgo, Papa and Whitehead - he’s stopped and wrapped up by Papa and Wighthead but Hodgo was ineffective could that be a missed tackle against Hodgo but not a miss for the team?

It just seems the sum of all the individual missed tackles is a lot higher than the reality of the team misses.

Does anyone know how it’s calculated and attributed?
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

EDIT
Last edited by greeneyed on November 11, 2019, 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Trolling
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

I think we have a Premiership window. If we let Wighton walk over the matter of 200k we put that window on hold, and we probably end up spending more or gamble (ala Orford) trying to replace him.

The team isn't getting any younger so he's a must keep.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Wait.... I thought Rickman's name was rick. Why is he called Rickman?
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

zim wrote: November 11, 2019, 1:35 pm Wait.... I thought Rickman's name was rick. Why is he called Rickman?
It is Rick... why is he calling me Nicholas?

Hopefully Ferg puts an end to this type of name-calling.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

EDIT
Last edited by greeneyed on November 11, 2019, 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Inappropriate comment
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

The Rickman wrote: November 11, 2019, 1:46 pm
zim wrote: November 11, 2019, 1:35 pm Wait.... I thought Rickman's name was rick. Why is he called Rickman?

You should change your name to Offerman for this contract season.

Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

There are nowhere near enough Parks and Rec memes around here - kudos Zim.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

The Rickman wrote: November 11, 2019, 1:46 pm

I thought your name was Peter.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Lots of trolling going on... which might be great for site traffic and popcorn eating... but it’s against forum guidelines. Cut it please... or warnings will follow.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: November 11, 2019, 1:35 pm I think we have a Premiership window. If we let Wighton walk over the matter of 200k we put that window on hold, and we probably end up spending more or gamble (ala Orford) trying to replace him.

No doubt there is a premiership window, but would hate to see us throw everything at it at the expense of maintaining a strong well managed roster longer term. We are very close to a premiership and I’d like to see us maintain a squad that has us top 8 more often than not over the next decade with a handful of chances to win it rather than see us go all in on the next year or two then falling off a cliff. I think Jack will be in green next year and I really hope he is but not at any cost.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Billy Walker wrote: November 11, 2019, 4:16 pm
Roger Kenworthy wrote: November 11, 2019, 1:35 pm I think we have a Premiership window. If we let Wighton walk over the matter of 200k we put that window on hold, and we probably end up spending more or gamble (ala Orford) trying to replace him.

No doubt there is a premiership window, but would hate to see us throw everything at it at the expense of maintaining a strong well managed roster longer term. We are very close to a premiership and I’d like to see us maintain a squad that has us top 8 more often than not over the next decade with a handful of chances to win it rather than see us go all in on the next year or two then falling off a cliff. I think Jack will be in green next year and I really hope he is but not at any cost.
Given that Wighton is contracted for next year what makes you think that he won't be playing for us?
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Northern Raider wrote: November 11, 2019, 4:59 pm

Given that Wighton is contracted for next year what makes you think that he won't be playing for us?
Latrell is contracted to the Roosters next year but that’s an even money bet. Contracts can be quite meaningless at times. I believe he will stay with us beyond next year.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Billy... I put out a warning earlier about trolling...
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Billy Walker wrote: November 11, 2019, 5:14 pm
Northern Raider wrote: November 11, 2019, 4:59 pm

Latrell is contracted to the Roosters next year but that’s an even money bet. Contracts can be quite meaningless at times. I believe he will stay with us beyond next year.
Which would be a valid comment if Wighton was Latrell Mitchell and the Raiders were the Roosters.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

And if Billy weren't a complete troll.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

The Rickman wrote: November 11, 2019, 5:38 pm And if Billy weren't a complete troll.
...we would have a very quiet forum in the off season. ;)
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

I'm going to go out on a limb here

After losing Austin, his shift to 6 meant we lost ball play from fullback and he very quickly became our most important player. We lost a lot of creativity in attack, we essentially lost Leipana and Sezer was steady at best. He was our go to and we made the grand final for the first time in 25 years where he won the Clive Churchill. The only thing that stops me from giving him a 10 is the fact that he still has mistakes in his game and showed that throughout the season.

The thing that really underlines to me that he deserves that 9.5 is how he dealt with Origin. I'll compare him to Cody Walker. Walker was the best player in the competition by the length of the Flemington straight for the first 10/12 rounds. He got hooked in Origin and became a shell of his former self. Wighton threw the intercept in game 1 and he could have followed the same path. But it was the exact opposite. He came back, put in and was pivotal in NSW turning it around as well.

Christ if he heard the re-jigged last tackle call and kicked to the unmarked Rapana he might just be getting a unanimous 10. It was a legendary season from a bloke many wanted punted last year.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.