2019 Test Double Header: Teams and Game Day

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

Who will win?

Fiji
50%
Papua New Guinea
No votes
New Zealand
17%
Great Britain
33%

Total votes: 6

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: 2019 Test Double Header: Teams and Game Day

Post by greeneyed »

gergreg wrote:Why do they play 'sweet Caroline' at football games? **** song which is about 50 years old.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
The promoters seem to think a Test match should be a sing-along. They’ve been playing what appear to be NZ pub songs for most of the match.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

LOL who was it on here that said Tapine doesn't hit hard??

It's literally the exact opposite :lol: So many times this game.
Last edited by afgtnk on November 9, 2019, 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

72nd min Going to video, but it's no try. Obvious knock on in the lead up from Jake Connor.
The Greenhouse score update service
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

How good is one ref ?

Even if it is a Sutton..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

75th min FIELD GOAL NEW ZEALAND to Isaako.

New Zealand 21
Great Britain 8
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Blake tops off a cracking game.

Shoving it in your face since 2017
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Geez the Poms can't get anything right.

rugby league, brexit...
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

"He reads the game so well Blake Austin"

Commentator obviously did not watch any of Blake Austin at the Raiders in 2017 and 2018.
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

80th min PENALTY GOAL NEW ZEALAND to Isaako.

New Zealand Kiwis 23
Great Britain Lions 8

FULL TIME

MATCH REPORT: Classy Kiwis complete series sweep of Lions

The New Zealand Kiwis completed back-to-back wins over the Great Britain Lions with a dominant 23-8 victory in Christchurch on Saturday.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/11/09/cla ... -of-lions/

Match Highlights: New Zealand v Great Britain: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/11/09/fij ... ew-guinea/
Last edited by The Greenhouse on November 9, 2019, 7:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Watch sidemouth give GWilly a run against PNG next week.

Bit late Wayne.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

afgtnk wrote: November 9, 2019, 6:38 pm LOL who was it on here that said Tapine doesn't hit hard??

It's literally the exact opposite :lol: So many times this game.
The real JT.
Chickas shoe
John Ferguson

Post by Chickas shoe »

gergreg wrote: November 9, 2019, 6:35 pm Why do they play 'sweet Caroline' at football games? **** song which is about 50 years old.

It's an American thing that for some reason we've adopted- why not Crunchy Granola Suite?
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Chicka's shoe wrote:
gergreg wrote: November 9, 2019, 6:35 pm Why do they play 'sweet Caroline' at football games? **** song which is about 50 years old.

It's an American thing that for some reason we've adopted- why not Crunchy Granola Suite?
I think they even played it at a Raiders home game last season.

Shoving it in your face since 2017
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

gergreg wrote: November 9, 2019, 7:34 pm
Chicka's shoe wrote:

I think they even played it at a Raiders home game last season.

The NRL plays it at finals games... don't think the Raiders did... maybe the half time sing-along.
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

Clearly after the first game against Tonga, Hodgson was told to give ball to his halves and stay out of the way. Awful tactics when the halves are Jackson Hastings and an out of form Widdop. I can’t get over how bad Hastings has been these last two games - the Tonga game it could have be argued Hodgson was over playing his hand, but these last two games that was not an excuse. Hastings was so horrible - from those useless bombs, to his inability to read a simple 3 on 2, to his hospital passes and consistently poor options on the last tackle. I was worried for poor Whitehead outside him who was getting short balls with 3 defenders sweating on him. Hodgson being off the field when they were 20-8 down with the amount of possession they had - just awful coaching.

On the bright side - Bateman, CNK, and Tapine all had solid games. Special mention for CNK - to play as well as he did out of position at international level shows the quality of player we have. I thought he was immense defensively, read the game well with great first up contact. Tapine was probably NZ’s best forward - he really is finding his feet in the middle, though I would prefer slightly more hit ups - he is so strong with such good footwork, he needs his hands on the ball more (though the way he defends would take some gas out of him).
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

TongueFTW wrote: November 9, 2019, 9:07 pm Clearly after the first game against Tonga, Hodgson was told to give ball to his halves and stay out of the way. Awful tactics when the halves are Jackson Hastings and an out of form Widdop. I can’t get over how bad Hastings has been these last two games - the Tonga game it could have be argued Hodgson was over playing his hand, but these last two games that was not an excuse. Hastings was so horrible - from those useless bombs, to his inability to read a simple 3 on 2, to his hospital passes and consistently poor options on the last tackle. I was worried for poor Whitehead outside him who was getting short balls with 3 defenders sweating on him. Hodgson being off the field when they were 20-8 down with the amount of possession they had - just awful coaching.

On the bright side - Bateman, CNK, and Tapine all had solid games. Special mention for CNK - to play as well as he did out of position at international level shows the quality of player we have. I thought he was immense defensively, read the game well with great first up contact. Tapine was probably NZ’s best forward - he really is finding his feet in the middle, though I would prefer slightly more hit ups - he is so strong with such good footwork, he needs his hands on the ball more (though the way he defends would take some gas out of him).
Some very good points.

Have actually had English fans tell me Daryl Clark and James Roby are better hookers. And how great Hastings is. Someone told me on Twitter today that James Roby is the best hooker after Cameron Smith since the early 1990s! It’s probably why England and Great Britain are in such dire straits. I fear for the game in the northern hemisphere.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

greeneyed wrote: November 9, 2019, 3:58 pm This is a really entertaining game! It’s been great!

Yeah, I love the pacific Tests. Smashing tackles, courage, great skills on show with the passing. Now that they get more regular games + the Hunters etc the cohesion and fitness is improving too.

Compare that to the dull dross Great Britain have served up this tour. Bennet will kill league in England if they keep him much longer.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

BadnMean wrote: November 9, 2019, 9:24 pm
greeneyed wrote: November 9, 2019, 3:58 pm This is a really entertaining game! It’s been great!

Yeah, I love the pacific Tests. Smashing tackles, courage, great skills on show with the passing. Now that they get more regular games + the Hunters etc the cohesion and fitness is improving too.

Compare that to the dull dross Great Britain have served up this tour. Bennet will kill league in England if they keep him much longer.
He will destroy any chance they have in their home World Cup.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

The Greenhouse wrote: November 9, 2019, 4:52 pm Very average crowd in at Christchurch, both teams have completed their warm ups and are back in the sheds. Kick off due in nine minutes. Maori traditional welcome underway on field.
Just on this I reckon people of Christchurch are fed up and voting with there feet, it's been nearly 9 years since the earthquake and not only do we not have a new stadium but we dont even have a plan agreed on for what the new stadium will be like (roof/capacity etc).
The temporary stadium built of scaffolding basically initially had an expected life of 4 or so years but has had its use extended a couple of times already, the views are fine but your'e almost sitting on top of each other .

It was a perfect night for footy last night but there was also large fireworks display on that would have meant a lot of family's wouldn't have gone but Even the crusaders struggled to draw decent crowds even for semi finals etc in recent years
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Hodgson is an unbelievably good Hooker for his props and his halves once they are familiar with his style of play.

I think this does make him less impactful at representative level however.
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

greeneyed wrote: November 9, 2019, 9:13 pm
TongueFTW wrote: November 9, 2019, 9:07 pm Clearly after the first game against Tonga, Hodgson was told to give ball to his halves and stay out of the way. Awful tactics when the halves are Jackson Hastings and an out of form Widdop. I can’t get over how bad Hastings has been these last two games - the Tonga game it could have be argued Hodgson was over playing his hand, but these last two games that was not an excuse. Hastings was so horrible - from those useless bombs, to his inability to read a simple 3 on 2, to his hospital passes and consistently poor options on the last tackle. I was worried for poor Whitehead outside him who was getting short balls with 3 defenders sweating on him. Hodgson being off the field when they were 20-8 down with the amount of possession they had - just awful coaching.

Some very good points.

Have actually had English fans tell me Daryl Clark and James Roby are better hookers. And how great Hastings is. Someone told me on Twitter today that James Roby is the best hooker after Cameron Smith since the early 1990s! It’s probably why England and Great Britain are in such dire straits. I fear for the game in the northern hemisphere.
The way English fans underrate Hodgson is unbelievable. I swear it is like they haven’t seen him at all in the NRL, and go off what he was like in the Super League. He is easily the second best Hooker in the world, just came off playing a finals series where he was a big reason his side won the preliminary final. His passing off the ground is crisp and accurate, he has a great long and short kicking game - he does overplay his hand in the opposition 20 at times, but he can also hit the halves on the chest with 20-25m passes both sides. To think he wasn’t given the keys to this side, and was encouraged to play second fiddle to Jackson Hastings - almost criminal.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

James Roby has continually and consistently out played Josh Hodgson at international level.

That suggestion that Roby is the second best hooker of this generation isn’t as silly as it sounds imo.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

PNG Orchids defeated by England 24 -10: http://rlif.com/article/8782/png-orchid ... goroka-png
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

julian87 wrote: November 10, 2019, 9:31 am James Roby has continually and consistently out played Josh Hodgson at international level.

That suggestion that Roby is the second best hooker of this generation isn’t as silly as it sounds imo.
It is a lot easier to look good coming off the bench fresh when opposition forwards are tired.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

TongueFTW wrote: November 10, 2019, 12:08 pm
julian87 wrote: November 10, 2019, 9:31 am James Roby has continually and consistently out played Josh Hodgson at international level.

It is a lot easier to look good coming off the bench fresh when opposition forwards are tired.
Ah I guess that's why Baptiste and Havili have outplayed Hodgson over the last few seasons.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Chicka's shoe wrote: November 9, 2019, 7:23 pm

Cherry Cherry?

At least some connection with the Sea Eagles halfback....

Me :arrow:
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

julian87 wrote: November 10, 2019, 4:18 pm

Ah I guess that's why Baptiste and Havili have outplayed Hodgson over the last few seasons.
There were a significant number of fans and “experts” calling for Baptiste to get more minutes in 2016, based on his impact. It’s the old “Craig Wing” effect. I don’t think it is unreasonable to suggest being a running bench hooker (as Roby was in those tests) is an unfair comparative advantage. Roby started the Final in 2017 when Hodgson was injured, and he didn’t have anywhere near as much impact as he did off the bench.
luffraider
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Fensom

Post by luffraider »

Can anyone confirm if the Lions are currently staying in Brisbane?

Just went for my morning coffee in the city, and saw Kevin Sinfield run past (or someone who is a dead ringer)
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

I'd definitely agree Hodgo hasn't produced for England what he has for us.

Whether that is the way it is coached? Or his style needs time to gel with other players? Some thing different about the international game? I am not sure.

I'm leaning toward #1, as he's had some time on this tour and played a fair bit with some of those guys. Not many of them look happy playing on this tour- then again they are losing.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

luffraider wrote: November 11, 2019, 8:47 am Can anyone confirm if the Lions are currently staying in Brisbane?

Just went for my morning coffee in the city, and saw Kevin Sinfield run past (or someone who is a dead ringer)
Yes they are, en route to PNG. Presume they won't go up there too early.
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

greeneyed wrote:
luffraider wrote: November 11, 2019, 8:47 am Can anyone confirm if the Lions are currently staying in Brisbane?

Yes they are, en route to PNG. Presume they won't go up there too early.
They'll end up with respiratory problems training in Brisbane
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Adam Clydesdale

Post by Hazza »

TongueFTW wrote: November 10, 2019, 8:44 am
greeneyed wrote: November 9, 2019, 9:13 pm

Some very good points.

The way English fans underrate Hodgson is unbelievable. I swear it is like they haven’t seen him at all in the NRL, and go off what he was like in the Super League. He is easily the second best Hooker in the world, just came off playing a finals series where he was a big reason his side won the preliminary final. His passing off the ground is crisp and accurate, he has a great long and short kicking game - he does overplay his hand in the opposition 20 at times, but he can also hit the halves on the chest with 20-25m passes both sides. To think he wasn’t given the keys to this side, and was encouraged to play second fiddle to Jackson Hastings - almost criminal.
He wasn't good in these last few tests though
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

There were only 2-3 english players that were good. Hastings and Clark weren't among them.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

TongueFTW wrote: November 10, 2019, 8:59 pm

There were a significant number of fans and “experts” calling for Baptiste to get more minutes in 2016, based on his impact. It’s the old “Craig Wing” effect. I don’t think it is unreasonable to suggest being a running bench hooker (as Roby was in those tests) is an unfair comparative advantage. Roby started the Final in 2017 when Hodgson was injured, and he didn’t have anywhere near as much impact as he did off the bench.
The Craig Wing effect?

He's legitimately the best Origin bench player in eons so I don't know about that term.
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

julian87 wrote: November 11, 2019, 6:57 pm
TongueFTW wrote: November 10, 2019, 8:59 pm

The Craig Wing effect?

He's legitimately the best Origin bench player in eons so I don't know about that term.
Did he ever start a game at Hooker for NSW? My point is, bench hookers and starting hookers are different roles, and often a bench hooker can look better than a starter just by that fact. Roby did nothing in the single game in the World Cup he started and, to be honest, until he proves himself in the NRL (and helps take his side to a GF) he can’t hold a candle to Hodgson.