2019 in review - Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Now it is season over for the Canberra Raiders - the best for 25 years - we will be reviewing all 26 players who pulled on a green jersey in first grade in 2019.

In 2019, Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad was a revelation. He joined the club just days before the Raiders started playing their trial matches for 2019. He wasn't exactly "Charzne who?" but he wasn't far from that for a lot of Raiders fans. Keen followers of the game knew he was a good young winger and a good signing for Canberra. But no-one would have expected he would finish 2019 as one of the top fullbacks in the NRL, voted the Canberra Raiders Fans' Choice Best Back, with a Grand Final appearance and a Kiwis jersey to his name.

Nicoll-Klokstad, born in Auckland, came through the junior system of the Melbourne Storm, before making his NRL debut with the New Zealand Warriors in 2017. He played seven games in that year, six on the wing and one on the bench. He he could not get a start with the Warriors in 2018, with the Auckland outfit boasting the likes of Roger Tuivasa-Sheck, Ken Maumalo and David Fusitu'a in firsts. He came to Canberra for an opportunity, and he grabbed it with both hands. With Jack Wighton moving to five eighth, he took the No. 1 jersey in Round 1 and never gave it up.

Nicoll-Klokstad made 26 appearances for the Green Machine in 2019. He missed only one game, rested by coach Ricky Stuart in the Round 26 loss to the Warriors - after it was clear the Raiders had secured a top four finish. In my player ratings for 2019, he finished fourth in average points per game (7.0) and third on the list for total points. Taking into account his contribution to the season overall, I've rated him a 8/10. I rated him an "8" in eight games during the season, including in the Grand Final.

He was Fans' Choice Man of the Match in six matches (Round 2 V Storm, Round 5 V Eels, Round 12 V Bulldogs, Round 15 V Eels, Round 17 V Dragons, Round 18 V Tigers). His best game was the Round 17 clash with the Dragons in Wollongong, when he scored two tries, ran 227 metres and made two line breaks. But his game in Round 3 against the Knights, when he also scored two tries, wasn't far off. He wasn't too bad in the Round 12 match against the Bulldogs - when he ran almost 300 metres!

Nicoll-Klokstad ended the 2019 season with 11 tries, second only to Jarrod Croker at the Raiders. He ranked fourth in the try scoring stakes amongst his fellow fullbacks. Nicoll-Klokstad finished second in the NRL, to James Tedesco, for total running metres and finished first for kick return metres. He was in the top 10 players for running metres per game, and first for kick return metres per game amongst the regular fullbacks. He made five in goal escapes, more than any player in the NRL. He was seventh in the NRL for total tackle breaks - and first at the Raiders. The area where he'll be no doubt looking to improve is his ball playing. He had four try assists for the season, and three try contributions, but that was well down the list of fullbacks. He still finished fourth at the Raiders for total try involvements.

Nicoll-Klokstad's defence was good, with an 81 per cent tackle efficiency rate... in a tough spot to defend. More positively, he was credited with only seven try causes and four line breaks conceded, which was close to the benchmark amongst NRL fullbacks. He was well down the list of fullbacks for errors and penalties conceded. Early in the season, the ball often bobbled in his arms when taking a bomb - but he rarely dropped the ball.

Overall, it was a stunning break-out season for Nicoll-Klokstad. He came to the club on a bargain basement contract, but was rewarded with a contract extension and upgrade before the season was over. He and his young family couldn't be happier about remaining long term in Canberra.

"To be able to call Canberra home for the next four years, the boys, the community in general has made my time here so enjoyable here, so I'm stoked," he said.

Canberrans are just as happy to have him in the national capital - not only because of his deeds on the field. He has not had the easiest of upbringings, but his character, focus on family and his deeds off the field have endeared him to the Canberra community.

How did you rate Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad's 2019? Do you agree with our rating? Tell us below.

Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad 2019: 8/10

2019 Statistics: (Stats from Fox Sports Lab)
Games: 26
Average minutes: 79
Tries: 11
Try assists: 4
Try contributions: 3
Total try involvements: 18
Total kicks: 1
Kick metres: 7
40/20’s: 0
Total runs: 450
All run metres: 4242
Average runs per game: 17
Average metres per game: 163
Kick return metres per game: 61
Average metres per carry: 9.4
Tackle breaks: 85
Offloads: 19
Line breaks: 11
Line break assists: 7
Tackles: 102
Average tackles per game: 3.9
1 on 1 tackles: 18
Missed tackles: 17
Average missed tackles per game: 0.7
Tackle efficiency: 81 per cent
Try causes: 7
Errors: 16
Penalties conceded: 7
Sin bins: 2
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: 2019 in review - Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad

Post by greeneyed »

Here's a word of explanation for my season ratings this year. They are based on the average of the ratings I have given to a player on a game by game basis through the season. Those ratings already take account of minutes played in each game. I have then weighted those average ratings for a contribution to the overall season. The formula involves a 33 per cent weighting and accounts for the number of games played from the possible 27. In effect, those players who play more than the average number of games receive a scaled bonus, while those who play roughly half the games or less have their ratings adjusted on a scaled basis downwards. It means the season ratings will be more spread across the 10 point scale than the average ratings per match.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

OK.
Ill go a very solid 7.5.

Dropped off a touch after the haircut... :D

Great season ChuNK !
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

8 out of 10 is spot **** on, Ferg. Great start.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Exceeded expectations. He's set himself a high bar now. It would be amazing if he's that good or better next year.

Durable too.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

8/10 seems a pretty reasonable rating.

He was rock solid for us across most of the season. He seemed to hit the wall a bit towards the end of the season, but that is understandable given the intensity in which he plays. His kick returns and stability in defence was the cornerstone of our performance across the park this year.

I suspect his work ethic will hold him in good stead for another strong performance in 2020 - hopefully with some more strings to his bow with the ball. There's nothing in his game that indicates 2019 might be a flash in the pan.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

8/10. I think what he brought in a low error rate and high effort is underrated in fullbacks and was key to our consistency.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

edwahu wrote:8/10. I think what he brought in a low error rate and high effort is underrated in fullbacks and was key to our consistency.
Agree with you Ed.

I'd like to see him develop his passing game, but honestly this kid does the job well as is.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

dubby wrote: November 4, 2019, 6:45 pm
edwahu wrote:8/10. I think what he brought in a low error rate and high effort is underrated in fullbacks and was key to our consistency.
Agree with you Ed.

I'd like to see him develop his passing game, but honestly this kid does the job well as is.

Agree guys.
I think and 8 is fair. This is a guy who I think we would all have in our top 4 performers for the yr.
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

Went from 8 early to 7.5 imho. Highly valued member of the family
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I think 8 is pretty well spot on.

Can’t understate the value he added to the Raiders defence this year. Saving tries, cleaning up kicks and escaping the in goal. It was a huge leap forward over Jack at the back.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

gangrenous wrote: November 5, 2019, 5:11 pm I think 8 is pretty well spot on.

Can’t understate the value he added to the Raiders defence this year. Saving tries, cleaning up kicks and escaping the in goal. It was a huge leap forward over Jack at the back.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-09-26/ ... s/11544410

His in goal escapes stats are ridiculous. RTS is the only other FB near him and he's even beat him. And that's not just this year- it's ANY of the last few seasons that only one other FB has got near his stats for 2019.

Interesting stat when you think about it, to top it you need the full package; footwork, speed, courage, strength, positioning and anticipation.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Yep, he was definitely next level in that regard.

Makes a huge difference in not having to defend so many repeat sets. Huge difference.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Really good season, and i think there is a lot more to uncover for this guy
Excited to see him in 2020... i'd really think about 9/10 but ultimately i think 8/10 is probably right, some limiting factors to his game, which if he develops will take him into superstar stratsphere holds him back a little

His impact on our defence can not be overstated. Our best defensively fullback since Schifcofske.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Poor guy was feeling the full effects of his first full NRL year by the end

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

will benefit from a full off season

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Botman wrote: November 5, 2019, 7:21 pm Really good season, and i think there is a lot more to uncover for this guy
Excited to see him in 2020... i'd really think about 9/10 but ultimately i think 8/10 is probably right, some limiting factors to his game, which if he develops will take him into superstar stratsphere holds him back a little

His impact on our defence can not be overstated. Our best defensively fullback since Schifcofske.
Yeah definitely our best positional fullback since Schif. That doesn't seem to be something you can coach, so we're on to something with Charnze. It may be a false perception but it seems like we conceded nowhere near as many repeat sets this year. Of course the forwards aiming up influenced this, but I think his positional play was also a major factor.

Plus it may be an entirely false perception on my behalf :roflmao
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: November 6, 2019, 7:22 am
Botman wrote: November 5, 2019, 7:21 pm Really good season, and i think there is a lot more to uncover for this guy

His impact on our defence can not be overstated. Our best defensive fullback since Schifcofske.
Yeah definitely our best positional fullback since Schif. That doesn't seem to be something you can coach, so we're on to something with Charnze. It may be a false perception but it seems like we conceded nowhere near as many repeat sets this year. Of course the forwards aiming up influenced this, but I think his positional play was also a major factor.

Plus it may be an entirely false perception on my behalf :roflmao
Yeah i dont have the stats for it, and the article above for escapes sort of speaks to it but in 2018 with Wighton at fullback, any time the ball rolled into the in goal i expected a goal line drop out as a best case result... often it was a try.

CNK positionally is as good as any in the league and whilst he doesnt have the pure speed and acceleration of Tedesco, or the footwork of a RTS, his positioning and ability to read the game allow him to get to the footy quicker than others, and that extra second or two really helps with getting the ball back out
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

bonehead wrote:will benefit from a full off season

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Under his belt
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

dubby wrote: November 5, 2019, 8:07 pm Poor guy was feeling the full effects of his first full NRL year by the end.
Yeah that looked like the only thing holding him back. You could see they were managing him for some games as he played within himself.
First few rounds next year when he's fresh and off the leash are going to be good watching.
woppadingo
Brett Mullins

Post by woppadingo »

I think he is rated highly because he virtually came from nowhere and came cheap, yet performed like a seasoned 1st grader.
His effort is the most outstanding aspect of his game for mine.
However I dont see him as one of the great Raiders fullbacks yet.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

woppadingo wrote: November 7, 2019, 12:42 pm I think he is rated highly because he virtually came from nowhere and came cheap, yet performed like a seasoned 1st grader.
Well, he's only played one season. And he's already ahead of Duges.

It is a VERY tough list to crack though!
1. Belcher was the prototype of the modern fullback play, Origin legend and multiple GF winner- played out of his skin in big games.
2. Daylight
3. Mullins played about 1.5 seasons of scintillating attacking footy of such audacity that it has never been surpassed.
3. Shif was outstanding defensively, could create a chance out of nothing with his footwork and was both Mr Reliable + a rare attacking spark in some tough times.

Charnze may well make the list one day. If he plays at that level for a few more years and has some success, he'll be in the argument with Mullins and Schif.

He'll need to maintain the 2019 base + find another gear to get near Belcher. I'll be cheering for him!
woppadingo
Brett Mullins

Post by woppadingo »

BadnMean wrote: November 7, 2019, 2:41 pm
woppadingo wrote: November 7, 2019, 12:42 pm I think he is rated highly because he virtually came from nowhere and came cheap, yet performed like a seasoned 1st grader.
Well, he's only played one season. And he's already ahead of Duges.

It is a VERY tough list to crack though!
1. Belcher was the prototype of the modern fullback play, Origin legend and multiple GF winner- played out of his skin in big games.
2. Daylight
3. Mullins played about 1.5 seasons of scintillating attacking footy of such audacity that it has never been surpassed.
3. Shif was outstanding defensively, could create a chance out of nothing with his footwork and was both Mr Reliable + a rare attacking spark in some tough times.

Charnze may well make the list one day. If he plays at that level for a few more years and has some success, he'll be in the argument with Mullins and Schif.

He'll need to maintain the 2019 base + find another gear to get near Belcher. I'll be cheering for him!
Agree. Just want to add that Schif carried this club for a number of years.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Schif was a far better all-round fullback than Mullins.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

I think 8 is the right outcome for season 2019 for Charnze. I knew nothing of CNK before he came to the Raiders. My concern during the off season was that we were moving Jack from fullback and the player being groomed for the No.1 in season 2018 was Brad Abbey. Then we recruited a lower grade player from the Warriors in the final stages of the off season. From Game one played in a monsoon he was safe with his hands. Very reliable all season. So many times early on he was in support but players were not looking to off load to him.

He is still learning the game of NRL fullback and imo is already a top liner in the position. He played busted at the back end of the NRL year. He then played International football in the center position and did well there too. What a footballer the Raiders have. From my point of view the worst thing he did all year was have a hair cut. I can't wait to watch him in 2020.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

RedRaider wrote:From my point of view the worst thing he did all year was have a hair cut. I can't wait to watch him in 2020.
Image nailed it

Bring back the long hair Charnze!
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

woppadingo wrote:I think he is rated highly because he virtually came from nowhere and came cheap, yet performed like a seasoned 1st grader.
Definitely not..

David Milne had a good first season at fullback, and then fell off the face of the earth

Not saying CNK will do that, but we need to temper the expectations a little

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Yikes! Please don't compare Nicoll-Klockstad with Milne...or Robinson...or anyone else that had an allergic reaction to tackling.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

@TheGHRaiders on Twitter

What a first season in green for Canberra Raiders fullback, Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad! #NRL #WeAreRaiders #wearecbr

Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad 2019 highlights via @YouTube

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The Great Escape: Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad

Raiders fullback Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad was sensational in 2019 but among all his impressive performances, he absolutely dominated one niche but important stat – in-goal escapes. His 11 in-goal escapes – or the number of times he returned the ball from his own in-goal past one or more defenders – more than doubled the NRL's next best, Eels skipper Clint Gutherson's five.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/12/02/the ... d-houdini/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Fox Sports Lab had him at five, but more than any other player. They must have tougher criteria.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

He was absolutely outstanding in that part of the game. Got absolutely smashed a few times doing it too.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Positonally and defensively a stud.
Deadly ball runner. Brave and tough.

A game changer on that side of the ball... lot of people might point to greater mobility in the middle as a reason for our improved defence, and they arent wrong, but to me the major factor is having a fullback who knows where to be and what to do, and importantly the communication to sort the defensive line

I have spent more time than i'd like thinking whether that try is scored in the GF if CNK is on the paddock... I dont think there was a lot of blame to go there, we had a good legs tackle which isnt rewarded in todays' game and the roosters attacked the short side with a 3 on 2... but if anyone could have saved us from diaster there it was CNK.

If he develops some ball playing abilities he's going to be a genuine superstar of the game