Canberra Raiders sign Wigan Warriors half George Williams on three year deal

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

julian87
Laurie Daley

Re: Canberra Raiders sign Wigan Warriors half George Williams on three year deal

Post by julian87 »

Hazza wrote: October 30, 2019, 8:15 am Anyone else not slightly concerned Bennett selected Jackson Hastings hb in front of George? Or does George have an injury I'm not aware of?
I'd say it's to do with Hastings being a halfback and Williams a five-eighth honestly./
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
BJ
Steve Walters

Re: Canberra Raiders sign Wigan Warriors half George Williams on three year deal

Post by BJ »

zim wrote:
Hazza wrote: October 30, 2019, 8:15 am Anyone else not slightly concerned Bennett selected Jackson Hastings hb in front of George? Or does George have an injury I'm not aware of?
We've seen Bennett make the wrong choice plenty of times.
So said his ex wife.
Johno
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Johno »

BJ wrote: October 30, 2019, 4:00 pm
zim wrote:
We've seen Bennett make the wrong choice plenty of times.
So said his ex wife.

And Wally Lewis ?
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Hastings was always going to be good.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

julian87 wrote: October 30, 2019, 1:58 pm
I'd say it's to do with Hastings being a halfback and Williams a five-eighth honestly./
I was wondering if they were resting some players from the Nines, as Coote over Tomkins was also odd. Looks like Tomkins isn't even in the squad.

You can chalk me up as concerned. Not only Hastings but Widdop, who has been well and truly revealed as a fraud since moving to the Dragons.
Ronny P
Peter Jackson

Post by Ronny P »

julian87 wrote:
100%

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Jackson Hastings is a pom? :shock:
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

Well his grandmother is

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

magoo
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Papa

Post by magoo »

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little concerned about GW cutting it in the NRL, but our recruitment team have been spot on with the other English recruits so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Northern Raider wrote: October 30, 2019, 10:20 pm Jackson Hastings is a pom? :shock:
We're all Poms :thumbsup

#godsavethequeen
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: October 30, 2019, 8:52 pm
I was wondering if they were resting some players from the Nines, as Coote over Tomkins was also odd. Looks like Tomkins isn't even in the squad.

You can chalk me up as concerned. Not only Hastings but Widdop, who has been well and truly revealed as a fraud since moving to the Dragons.
Very odd opinion on Widdop. At times at the Dragons he was close to the best half in the game.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley

julian87 wrote: October 31, 2019, 7:05 am

Very odd opinion on Widdop. At times at the Dragons he was close to the best half in the game.
He led them to one finals series didn't he? With a pretty good roster of talent around him.

He has his moments but over a season he's way too up and down for me to rate him in the top tier of halves.
Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Adam Clydesdale

Post by Hazza »

Agreed. He can be a bit hot and cold but if George turns out to be as good as Widdop we'll win a comp in the next 2 years. He doesn't have to be sensational. We nearly won the comp with Aiden Sezer halfback ****.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

England lacked a bit of composure in the halves and had a terrible kicking game at 1. Williams doesn't always execute but he does look like he always has time. He's also a danger with the ball in hand. Widdop and Hastings weren't. I would have gone with this for the next game:
1. Widdop
6. Williams
7. Hastings
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Widdop is a very good footballer imo
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Botman wrote: October 31, 2019, 10:06 am Widdop is a very good footballer imo
Yeah, me too. Single-handedly carried a rubbish dragons outfit to wins over the last five or so years. You ask any dragons fan and they'll tell you he's their only shining light.

Never fails to surprise me the players people choose to rate and not rate.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Hazza wrote: October 31, 2019, 9:36 am

Agreed. He can be a bit hot and cold but if George turns out to be as good as Widdop we'll win a comp in the next 2 years. He doesn't have to be sensational. We nearly won the comp with Aiden Sezer halfback ****.
Yeah, Sezer is a solid halfback. Won't lose you games but not likely to win one for you either. Williams looks like the opposite. Might not always work for him but he'll constantly be testing the opposition defense.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley

3 things are certain in life. Death, taxes and Widdop looking like a million dollar player for the first eight weeks of the season.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Which is what England lacked. They didn't manage to throw much at Tonga.

I've seen Widdop play well but I don't watch him closely. I'm not convinced Wayne is much of a judge anymore, given evidence at Souths and the weird England squad.
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

When does Mr. Williams arrive?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The last Great Britain Test is 16 November. Then he needs a month’s break, presumably. It’d be nice to think he was here for at least some time before Christmas but that might well be impracticable.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Why did you say impracticable as opposed to impractical?
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Azza wrote: October 31, 2019, 1:04 pm Why did you say impracticable as opposed to impractical?
It's the impracticable way of saying impractical.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Azza wrote: October 31, 2019, 1:04 pm Why did you say impracticable as opposed to impractical?
Because impracticable was a word that encapsulated what I was intending to say.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

greeneyed wrote:
Because impracticable was a word that encapsulated what I was intending to say.
Nothing can ameliorate the ineptitude of Principal Fergus.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

His indolence is inefficacious.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Azza wrote: October 31, 2019, 2:59 pm His indolence is inefficacious.
That isn't a sentence, it is a list of words.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

greeneyed wrote: October 31, 2019, 3:14 pm
Azza wrote: October 31, 2019, 2:59 pm His indolence is inefficacious.
That isn't a sentence, it is a list of words.
It means you're terrible.
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Onya Muriel
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

Impracticable is a perfectly cromulent word.
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Yes it is.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Don't embiggen yourself Steven.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley

The Rickman wrote: October 31, 2019, 10:08 am
Yeah, me too. Single-handedly carried a rubbish dragons outfit to wins over the last five or so years. You ask any dragons fan and they'll tell you he's their only shining light.

I watched the game yesterday with a special view to whether I was missing anything with Widdop. Nope - he's still useless. Amazes me how people will back a player because the media tells them they're a star.

Williams will surely get a go next week.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: November 3, 2019, 2:43 pm
The Rickman wrote: October 31, 2019, 10:08 am

I watched the game yesterday with a special view to whether I was missing anything with Widdop. Nope - he's still useless. Amazes me how people will back a player because the media tells them they're a star.

Williams will surely get a go next week.
Yeah, don't rate him. I also think Hastings' game is not suited to this kinda level; watching footage of him from this season shows me his danger is more running, and we all know how much better ball runners look over in the UK.

From what I've seen of Williams so far, like Hodgson his game looks to be better built for the standard of football played in Australia. Time will tell if he can transition well.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Canberra Raiders sign Wigan Warriors half George Williams on three year deal

Post by gangrenous »

Which one? Allen?

Edit - damn your edit