All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Bay53
Steve Walters

Re: Canberra Raiders to play Gold Coast Titans in Round 1 at Canberra Stadium

Post by Bay53 »

More on this double header.

Blues, Warriors to host Eden Park double header against Raiders, Brumbies

The Blues and Warriors are set to announce a double header at Eden Park next year, where they will take on both Canberra teams.

Read more: https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/wa ... s-brumbies

I think it is a fantastic idea. I am very keen to go.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

greeneyed wrote: October 28, 2019, 5:30 pm I agree. Never give a leg up to an opposition code... but I'm expecting that the Warriors will see it as them being given a leg up by union.
I think that is right in NZ. The other day you were whinging that we should play at the biggest and best stadium in Perth because it would be an “experience”. Here we are playing at the best stadium in New Zealand doing a double header that has never been done before in this history of the two sports.

That sounds like an “experience” to me.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Seems there was talk of doing it this year with the Roosters and Waratahs. I had heard some time ago that there was talk of this.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/11 ... e-for-2020

Also good that we are playing in Auckland early in the season. I can’t remember the last time we went through a season without playing in NZ, however we always do it late in the season. Would be nice to go to NZ whilst the weather is still good.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Interestingly the Australian cricket team are due to play a T20 at Eden Park on 27 March. So the groundstaff are going to turn rugby league markings into rugby union in half an hour then put the cricket pitch in for an international just six days later. I know drop in pitches are pretty common but they are normally in for a while before they are used.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Bay53 wrote: October 28, 2019, 9:47 pm
greeneyed wrote: October 28, 2019, 5:30 pm I agree. Never give a leg up to an opposition code... but I'm expecting that the Warriors will see it as them being given a leg up by union.
I think that is right in NZ. The other day you were whinging that we should play at the biggest and best stadium in Perth because it would be an “experience”. Here we are playing at the best stadium in New Zealand doing a double header that has never been done before in this history of the two sports.

There was no whinging. I was simply stating I wouldn’t go to the Nines in Perth because the venue was unappealing. And explaining I might have gone if it were at another venue in Perth. Even then the expense of going to Perth is a pretty big hurdle, given it’s a destination I’ve been to quite a few times.

On this particular issue... Why would I want to go to a double header match which involves rugby union? It's an "experience" I have not the slightest bit of interest in having. Rugby union matches are something to avoid. Of course, I'll watch the Raiders match on television.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

I wasn’t expecting you would go to the union match but I think it is a good thing that they are doing this experiment. It might work, it might not but I reckon it is worth a try.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

The magic round has been cut to 3 days in 2020.

No Thursday.

The Raiders play Bulldogs on Saturday 2nd May.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

-PJ- wrote: October 29, 2019, 6:22 am The magic round has been cut to 3 days in 2020.

No Thursday.

Yeah at 5.30pm. SMH is reporting it is

Friday
Wests Tigers v Sharks 6pm
Sea Eagles v Broncos 8pm

Saturday
Souths v Newcastle 3pm
Bulldogs v Canberra 5.30pm
Roosters v Cowboys 7.30pm

Sunday
Warriors v Eels 2pm
Storm v Dragons 4pm
Titans v Penrith 6.25pm

I only went on the Saturday and Sunday this year but I found the middle game on the Saturday to be the biggest crowd and best atmosphere. It was Warriors and Dragons and you had people from the first game still hanging around and the crowd building for the last game. I remember that last game on the Saturday night between Storm and Eels was such a whitewash that there were not many left by the end and those who were there were well inebriated!!
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Bay53 wrote: October 29, 2019, 7:22 am
-PJ- wrote: October 29, 2019, 6:22 am The magic round has been cut to 3 days in 2020.

No Thursday.

Yeah at 5.30pm. SMH is reporting it is

Friday
Wests Tigers v Sharks 6pm
Sea Eagles v Broncos 8pm

Saturday
Souths v Newcastle 3pm
Bulldogs v Canberra 5.30pm
Roosters v Cowboys 7.30pm

Sunday
Warriors v Eels 2pm
Storm v Dragons 4pm
Titans v Penrith 6.25pm

I only went on the Saturday and Sunday this year but I found the middle game on the Saturday to be the biggest crowd and best atmosphere. It was Warriors and Dragons and you had people from the first game still hanging around and the crowd building for the last game. I remember that last game on the Saturday night between Storm and Eels was such a whitewash that there were not many left by the end and those who were there were well inebriated!!
So that's a Bulldogs home game ??
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Bay53 wrote: October 28, 2019, 9:47 pm

Warriors are a bigger draw than the Blues. Super Rugby is really struggling to pull crowds in NZ. This is emphasised by the fact the Warriors are the first match, as there is more chance of people hanging around for the second game than getting there early to watch a match they aren't really interested in.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

LIVE STREAM: NRL draw announcement: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/10/29/202 ... uncement-/

From 9:55am.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Canberra Raiders 2020 NRL draw

Post by greeneyed »

2020 Canberra Raiders NRL draw

For the first time since 2016, the Canberra Raiders will begin a campaign at home when they host the Gold Coast Titans at GIO Stadium.

It will be the third consecutive season that the Green Machine play the Gold Coast outfit on the opening round with the clash taking place at 6pm, Friday 13 March.

Full NRL draw: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=33722

Read more: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/10 ... s-in-2020/

Canberra Raiders miss out on Anzac Day clash in NRL draw

The Canberra Raiders have missed out on an Anzac Day clash and will instead play South Sydney the day after. In a boost for the Raiders, they have eight Channel Nine games - up from five this year.

They'll also make two trips to the bush, facing the Newcastle Knights in a home game at Wagga Wagga in round 6 and travelling to the Wests Tigers at Tamworth in round nine.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

Round 1 Raiders V Titans, Friday 13 March 6:00pm, Canberra Stadium, Fox League
Round 2 Warriors V Raiders, Saturday 21 March 3:00pm, Eden Park, Fox League
Round 3 Raiders V Dragons, Thursday 26 March 8:05pm, Canberra Stadium, Nine, Fox League
Round 4 Sea Eagles V Raiders, Friday 3 April 8:05pm, Canberra Stadium, Nine, Fox League
Round 5 Panthers V Raiders, Sunday 12 April 4:05pm, Panthers Stadium, Nine, Fox League
Round 6 Raiders V Knights, Saturday 18 April 3:00pm, Wagga Wagga, Fox League
Round 7 Raiders V Rabbitohs, Sunday 26 April 2:05pm, Canberra Stadium, Fox League
Round 8 Bulldogs V Raiders, Magic Round, Saturday 2 May, Lang Park, Fox League
Round 9 Tigers V Raiders, Saturday 9 May 5:30pm, Scully Park, Tamworth, Fox League
Round 10 Raiders V Panthers, Sunday 17 May 2:05pm, Canberra Stadium, Fox League
Round 11 Roosters V Raiders, Saturday 23 May 7:35pm, Perth Oval, Fox League
Round 12 BYE
Round 13 Storm V Raiders, Saturday 6 June 7:35pm, Melbourne Rectangular, Fox League
Round 14 Raiders V Warriors, Sunday 14 June 2:05pm, Canberra Stadium, Fox League
Round 15 Raiders V Roosters, Sunday 28 June 4:05pm, Canberra Stadium, Nine, Fox League
Round 16 Sharks V Raiders, Sunday 5 July 4:05pm, Kogarah Jubilee Oval, Nine, Fox League
Round 17 Raiders V Broncos, Saturday 11 July 5:30pm, Canberra Stadium, Fox League
Round 18 Raiders V Eels, Saturday 18 July 5:30pm, Canberra Stadium, Fox League
Round 19 Dragons V Raiders, Sunday 26 July 2:05pm, Wollongong Stadium, Fox League
Round 20 Cowboys V Raiders, Saturday 1 August 7:35pm, North Queensland Stadium, Fox League
Round 21 Sea Eagles V Raiders, Saturday 8 August 7:35pm, Brookvale Oval, Nine, Fox League
Round 22 Raiders V Wests Tigers, Sunday 16 August 4:05pm, Canberra Stadium, Nine, Fox League
Round 23 Rabbitohs V Raiders, Saturday 22 August 5:30pm, Central Coast Stadium, Fox League
Round 24 Titans V Raiders, Sunday 30 August 2:05pm, Robina Stadium, Fox League
Round 25 Raiders V Storm, Saturday 5 September 7:35pm, Canberra Stadium, Nine, Fox League
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

IMO its a soft early draw (I hear people saying dont write teams off... yup), Titoons, Warriors, Dragz.

Then its trickier, Manly, Panthers, Knights, Bunnies.

Magic Rd vs Dogs.

Easy-ish lead into Origin, Tigers, Panthers (we play them twice in 5 wks) Then Chooks - who should be depleted.

R12 Bye

Really tough middle run. Storm, Warriors, Chooks (twice in 4wks), Sharks, Bronx, Eels.

Mixed home run Dragz, Cows, Manly, Tigers, Bunnies, Titoons, Storm

We play ALL of the 2019 top 5 twice. That is a really really tough draw. If we dont start 3-0, we are in trouble.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

I really like our draw
Dont delete this GE
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

The tough middle section has the benefit of plenty of off time for the majority of the squad - a bye and 2 week rest before the second Roosters game. I think it is a pretty decent draw overall - however, like 2019, we need to start fast and not make the mistake of 2017, where all the talk was conserving energy for the finals, like it was our god given right to be there.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Trips to Wagga, Tamworth and Perth.
-GD-
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga, Terry Campese, Troy Thompson

Post by -GD- »

From quick glance

We do not play Sharks, Dogs or Cowboys at home.

We do no play Knights, Broncos or Eels away.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

8 free to air games, hey?? Can't wait for people to start complaining about it anyway.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Well I've had a quick look and will look again into more detail later..

BUT..

I can't see us losing a game.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Canberra Raiders 2020 NRL draw

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders to play in historic double header at Eden Park

The Canberra Raiders will join the Brumbies Super Rugby team in an historic double header on Saturday March 21 at Eden Park in Auckland.

The Raiders will play the New Zealand Warriors at 3.00pm (ADST) with the Brumbies taking on the Auckland Blues at 5.35pm (ADST).

Raiders CEO Don Furner said the double header gave both codes the opportunity to take part in a first for both competitions, with the NRL and Super Rugby set to host the first double header.

“The Raiders are looking forward to being part of a unique fan experience and the double header with the Brumbies at a world class venue like Eden Park should draw a big crowd,” Furner said. “This history making event is a chance for both codes to showcase their teams on the big stage and hopefully we see a Raiders and Brumbies double on the night.”

Brumbies CEO Phil Thomson said the Brumbies were also looking forward to the event in what should be a very entertaining evening for fans of both codes.

“We are delighted to be a part of this innovative and exciting event in Auckland,” Plus500 Brumbies CEO Phil Thomson said. “This is a unique event and a chance for fans of both codes in Canberra to get behind their teams together in what should be a fantastic sporing spectacle played out at one of the World’s most famous venues.

“The double-header concept has been approved by NZ Rugby, SANZAAR and the NRL to proceed and we are very excited to take part in what will be a history creating event.”

2020 raiders memberships are on sale now, visit: http://www.raiders.com.au/membership

Canberra Raiders media

NRL 2020 draw: What you need to know

Canberra Raiders

Teams they play twice: Titans, Warriors, Dragons, Sea Eagles, Panthers, Rabbitohs, Tigers, Roosters, Storm.

Teams they play once: Knights, Bulldogs, Sharks, Broncos, Eels, Cowboys.

Day-by-day breakdown: Thursday – 1, Friday – 2, Saturday – 12, Sunday – 9.

Five-day turnarounds: 1: (Round 3).

Kick-off
A rails run to start for the Raiders, with 2019 also-rans the Titans, Warriors and Dragons in their first three weeks. There is that five-day turnaround off the back of travelling to New Zealand before hosting Manly in round four, but with three of their first four games at home Canberra will expect to start 2020 the same way they finished this year.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/10/29/nrl ... -16-clubs/

Full NRL draw: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=33722

Canberra Raiders draw snapshot: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/10/29/can ... -snapshot/

VIDEO: Five key match-ups for the Raiders in 2020: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/10/29/fiv ... 2020-draw/
Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Adam Clydesdale

Post by Hazza »

3 games in Sydney has to be a record low
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

We only have one five-day turnaround?!?

This is an outrage!! I'll bet the glamour clubs like Roosters and the Storm have none!!

Just further proof that the NRL hates us. I see we only got *checks notes* 8 free-to-air games this year too!
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

That’s the 4th year in a row we don’t play a game in Newcastle. Incredibly frustrating for me being the only ground within 3 hrs from the North Coast.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan

Post by Hazza »

The Rickman wrote: October 29, 2019, 9:50 am We only have one five-day turnaround?!?

This is an outrage!! I'll bet the glamour clubs like Roosters and the Storm have none!!

Just further proof that the NRL hates us. I see we only got *checks notes* 8 free-to-air games this year too!
hahaha they'll find something to be outraged about dw. Play the bloody roosters and storm twice again of course. See. Hate us
Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan

Post by Hazza »

What's with the glut of home games at the start of the year. They could at least wait until it gets colder #outraged
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

7 Free to air games. Is that the most ever?
Rounds 3, 4 and 5 all free to air, 3 weeks in a row. Good start to the season if you're looking to build hype and a following.
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

Anzac weekend we play the Rabbits at 2pm on a Sunday. That's going to be a huge draw. Sure Anzac day is the Saturday, but that is still going to be huge. Will be a long weekend so Rabbits fans will travel.
Can we draw 20k+ in May?
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

We only play 2 top 8 teams in the first 10 weeks. Rabbits and Manly, and one is at home.

We then play Roosters in Rd11 but they take that game to a neutral ground in Perth.

We're going to win the comp next year aren't we.
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

Five of our away games are not at our opponents actual home grounds - Warriors, Bulldogs, Tigers, Roosters, Rabbitohs.

Bit of a leg up there.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Looks like a very hard draw if you go by this years finish. We play 6 games vs the rest of the top 4 and 2 against the next best team in the Eagles.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Re: 2020 NRL draw

Post by GreenMachine »

Wow...we play the 2019 top 3 teams twice.
Balanced with Titans, Warriors and Dragons twice....
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

julian87 wrote: October 29, 2019, 9:51 am That’s the 4th year in a row we don’t play a game in Newcastle. Incredibly frustrating for me being the only ground within 3 hrs from the North Coast.
I'm 20mins from that ground.

It's super frustrating.
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

-PJ- wrote: October 29, 2019, 10:17 am
julian87 wrote: October 29, 2019, 9:51 am That’s the 4th year in a row we don’t play a game in Newcastle. Incredibly frustrating for me being the only ground within 3 hrs from the North Coast.
I'm 20mins from that ground.

It's super frustrating.
I moved to Newwy last year - I am an unhappy camper.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

The Rickman wrote: October 29, 2019, 9:20 am 8 free to air games, hey?? Can't wait for people to start complaining about it anyway.
Hold on - are you telling me that they've given us more FTA games off the back of success and turning ourselves around?

Surely not.
IBG
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Re: 2020 NRL draw

Post by IBG »

I think it's a positive draw.

The thing is, every year, there are always teams you think will be lower that end up having a great year (Sea Eagles and Parra) and then there will be teams that you think will have a great year but end up being poor (Dragons and Knights).

So we can't really say for sure one way or the other whether this is an easy or tough draw yet.

But I like how it's constructed, doesn't seem like an overly difficult start, has a bit of a tough middle patch during the Origin period where both teams will be missing players (the period where we play Storm, Roosters and Roosters again) and then an OK run home with some tough tests especially against the Storm in the last round to sharpen us up for finals.

Happy with the draw.

But I also have this sense of calm now like I think the draw doesn't matter and whoever we are faced up against we will play well.