Jack Wighton signs four-year extension with Canberra Raiders

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

julian87
Laurie Daley

Re: Jack Wighton turns down Raiders option to go on open market for 2021

Post by julian87 »

Tough to swallow but he's worth a hell of a lot more than 750k a year given the dearth of NRL standard halves and the fact that he's the best defensively there on top of being a leader (albeit somewhat unconventional) in attack.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

deanoman wrote: October 13, 2019, 11:46 am I love Jack, but considering we have George Williams coming next year, I would rather keep Sezer and BJ personally.

That’s a more balanced team

In saying this he is a very good footballer
Could not disagree more with this.

For all of Papalii and Hodgson's plaudits Jack Wighton was 100% the most important player in a team lacking in structure and attacking creativity.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

@rayden George Williams can get a try assist. He had 21 this year, plus 14 of his own tries.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

DFJ said earlier this year that he wanted to assure Raiders fans that he was spending the entire salary cap.

Since then we have signed Gwilliams.

If we are to increase payment to JB and Jack then some familiar faces will have to go. I would move Young on but that won't release much cap space. Who else is moved so that Jack and John can sit higher on their wallets will be a tough call.

There are very few players who give value for a $1m per season contract imo. One retired after the Grand Final. One Captains Melbourne. One is Teddy. I struggle to think of others who consistently get their teams into a winning position.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

RedRaider wrote:DFJ said earlier this year that he wanted to assure Raiders fans that he was spending the entire salary cap.

If we are to increase payment to JB and Jack then some familiar faces will have to go. I would move Young on but that won't release much cap space. Who else is moved so that Jack and John can sit higher on their wallets will be a tough call.

There are very few players who give value for a $1m per season contract imo. One retired after the Grand Final. One Captains Melbourne. One is Teddy. I struggle to think of others who consistently get their teams into a winning position.
I’m moving Sezer ($500K ??) and Rapana ($350K ??)

Obviously there will be more movement but hopefully not high profile

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

julian87 wrote: October 13, 2019, 2:25 pm
deanoman wrote: October 13, 2019, 11:46 am I love Jack, but considering we have George Williams coming next year, I would rather keep Sezer and BJ personally.

That’s a more balanced team

In saying this he is a very good footballer
Could not disagree more with this.

For all of Papalii and Hodgson's plaudits Jack Wighton was 100% the most important player in a team lacking in structure and attacking creativity.
I love BJ, one of my favourites to watch play- the swagger, the creativity, the barnstorming runs.

But Jack > BJ
Cotric is an origin rep and probably breaks as many tackles as BJ+ it gets Simo into the team on the wing and increases our pace in 2 spots that way... You keep your best player, mindful of what else you have in the squad. And we have outside backs covered.

Jack is a key figure in our new tough defence. The club was happy to give Jack 2021 as an option, then they have to be prepared for him to take or test the market. The club backed him last year. This year he played the house down. No reason for noses to be out of joint about this.

MOST of the CC winners over the last 5 years have been million dollar men (Keary will be once Rorters multiply Cronks money). Pretty easy to convince Jack he should at least explore the option to see if he can be too.

Luke Lewis the only one lately who wasn't $1 mill and I daresay at times in his career he'd be in the top 10 earners in the game too. That's where Jack wants to be. Cody Walker wants 800k and Jack is twice the player he is.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

$750k is about where the value is for Jack I’m sorry to say. He still has a lot to work on in his game. He was very rocks and diamonds all year, no real consistency.

2017, 2018 where not the best years for him and this year he has only started to play better.

If we can’t match the offers Let him go, one player doesn’t make a team. Let him go and drain someone else’s salary cap
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Dusty wrote:
RedRaider wrote:DFJ said earlier this year that he wanted to assure Raiders fans that he was spending the entire salary cap.

Sezer’s got to want to move on. He might be quite happy getting another $500k to play reserve grade and be in Australia before going to the UK
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

papabear wrote: October 13, 2019, 1:49 pm
LastRaider wrote: October 13, 2019, 1:40 pm And here we go, Raiders won’t make another grand final Beyond 2020+ now for quite a few years.

Greed takes over as always. Players won’t sacrifice to stay together to win premierships instead would prefer to be paid more and be in losing teams.

Next thing is, Croker will want something ridicules!
I dont think croker has the leverage to get something ridiculous.

At the very least players need other clubs offering something serious.
This is true
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

If Wighton's asking price is a million, I'm happy to see him move on.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

T_R wrote: October 13, 2019, 2:49 pm If Wighton's asking price is a million, I'm happy to see him move on.
Do you think the club would possibly get more value out of any 2 players we could get for 1.12 million compared to Jack Wighton and a minimum wage squad filler?

Spine players aren't your run of the mill take it or leave it negotiations IMO.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

I am happy to upgrade Wighton (and Bateman for that matter) but I want the club to make it clear that it is a two way street. You want an upgrade? Sure - give us a long term commitment and sign until 2024. Both parties get something then.

Also, the coverage of this is laughable. I saw a video on Fox Sports with the caption "Wighton wants out of Raiders". Terrible journalism. Like we all would do, he is testing the waters for his market value at the first opportunity he gets
Ronny P
Peter Jackson

Post by Ronny P »

julian87 wrote:
T_R wrote: October 13, 2019, 2:49 pm If Wighton's asking price is a million, I'm happy to see him move on.
Do you think the club would possibly get more value out of any 2 players we could get for 1.12 million compared to Jack Wighton and a minimum wage squad filler?

Spine players aren't your run of the mill take it or leave it negotiations IMO.
If Sezer goes, Jack gets 1.1M$ from the Broncos or someone else and G Williams is a flop whats next.......

Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

We've been waiting for a rep quality half for about 20 years. We've finally got one and will have to pay accordingly.

Soliola will be off the books in 2020, hopefully we have an option in our favour for Lui so he can also be released. I think BJ will also probably need to be shifted on, and Rapana depending on form next year.

It does degrade the competition when 12 or 13 of the teams in the comp never get any continuity between seasons. A model like the NBA where teams can exceed the salary cap but pay a dollar in league tax for every dollar they go over would be such an improvement.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Roger, do they still call it a cap if clubs can exceed it?

The Chooks would be in favour of such a system. They could overspend by a couple of million and still make a $2m donation from petty cash.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Roger Kenworthy wrote:We've been waiting for a rep quality half for about 20 years. We've finally got one and will have to pay accordingly.

Soliola will be off the books in 2020, hopefully we have an option in our favour for Lui so he can also be released. I think BJ will also probably need to be shifted on, and Rapana depending on form next year.

It does degrade the competition when 12 or 13 of the teams in the comp never get any continuity between seasons. A model like the NBA where teams can exceed the salary cap but pay a dollar in league tax for every dollar they go over would be such an improvement.
I think all of that is wrong.

Wighton has had one good year in the halves and will likely represent NSW and Australia for the most part not in the halves. He needs at least another year at top flight and playing rep football in the halves to be a million dollar man imo.

You can’t just shuffle off the players you listed and go “well there’s your money”. We’re already a bit light on props. Soliola needs to be replaced with a decent prop. Which is going to cost pretty much the same. Lui appears to be a good value prop. Releasing him and using his money to top up Jack likely leaves you with an absolute nuffy. Salary caps don’t work like that.

How does that work in the NBA? My understanding is that style of cap typically benefits the top tier teams. I think that would be a disaster for the Raiders.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

LastRaider wrote: October 13, 2019, 2:47 pm
Dusty wrote:

Sezer’s got to want to move on. He might be quite happy getting another $500k to play reserve grade and be in Australia before going to the UK
It makes me wonder where the Gwilliams money and upgrades will come from. Possible roster cuts???
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Oh well. There goes our only chance at a premiership for the next 25 years, I 'spose.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

gangrenous wrote: October 13, 2019, 4:15 pm
Roger Kenworthy wrote:We've been waiting for a rep quality half for about 20 years. We've finally got one and will have to pay accordingly.

Wighton has had one good year in the halves and will likely represent NSW and Australia for the most part not in the halves. He needs at least another year at top flight and playing rep football in the halves to be a million dollar man imo.

You can’t just shuffle off the players you listed and go “well there’s your money”. We’re already a bit light on props. Soliola needs to be replaced with a decent prop. Which is going to cost pretty much the same. Lui appears to be a good value prop. Releasing him and using his money to top up Jack likely leaves you with an absolute nuffy. Salary caps don’t work like that.

How does that work in the NBA? My understanding is that style of cap typically benefits the top tier teams. I think that would be a disaster for the Raiders.
The NBA has a few measures NRL doesn't. Well more like hundreds but here are a few:
- Draft for entry into the league
- fixed rookie contracts and restricted free agency for 4 years
- fixed max contract values depending on the time a player has been in the league (and a few variants of this)
- Soft cap with luxury tax which quickly gets huge (approx $4 for every 1 dollar over). 50% of this gets given to the club's that don't exceed it.
- trades obviously
- Salaries published
- TPA rules are strict but it doesn't seem to come up at all as NBA player are obviously able to get a huge amount of legit deals compared to NRL ones

The NBA system is ridiculously complicated, it's cap rules are about 600 pages. I would say it doesn't benefit the top teams to the same degree as the NRL. There isn't really a Roosters in the NBA but having said that there are definitely strong and weaker franchises.

What you see more is star players dictating who is successful, so you have teams that will have strong runs of a few years and then struggle and some weaker teams become contenders for years in one off season alone.

The NBA is much more heavily influenced by individual players though due to the nature of the sport. You can sign one player who has the influence of Papalii, Hodgo and Jack combined.

At some point I expect NRL players to realise that having more controls on the market can actually help them, especially the more influential (e.g star) players.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley

Bulldogs would have had similar thoughts on Thurston, Cowboys with Ponga.

If we lose Wighton who do we attract to replace him? Sezer? We'd be back into rebuilding. I'm not debating a mil on Wighton is a risk- but if that's the market value I don't really see letting him go as an option.

We have Sutton on the books who is a natural replacement for Lui. We have Horsburgh to hopefully step into a starting role, you then use youngsters to fill in the bench spots.

MLB and EPL are much worse for smaller league teams than the NBA model. A modified version of the NBA system could work for the NRL, I just think there needs to be more of a reward for building a solid roster than one good season and then having to break it all up.
Last edited by Roger Kenworthy on October 13, 2019, 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

I don't think he's worth over $750k.

He's a late bloomer, and an inconsistent one. He's like Cook in that regard.

But, if he gets it good on him.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

I like Jack but he's not a $1 million player. He needs to show consistency and his game is still developing. He's only had one good season. And even that - he needs to win games and shine. The Dally M didn't show he polled in the top 8, like 1 milion players should (think Smith, RTS, Tedesco, Taumalolo). Even in the finals series, his best game was the GF and Papa/Hodgson outshone him versus Souths, and Bateman/Papa/Hodgson against Melbourne

I take the point he's a rep player, but I would say marginal - if Tommy T is fit he may not even start in the NSW side next year, with Latrell and Tommy T in the centres and Keary 5/8. He would get a bench spot though.

But clubs like Canterbury, GC, West Tigers are desperate. Broncos also need a half but an organising half, but if Boyd retires they have the money for 2021. I don't see Jack leaving with what the club has done for him, Ricky having signed an extension, and we are in a premiership window. So I don't think we need to be the highest bidder, but give him an extra $50,000 to $100,000 will do. Anything more let him go. But if I were Jack I would accept $800,000 - $850,000 from the Raiders to stay, rather than take $1 million from the clubs identified above - he can kiss his rep career goodbye and the chance of a Premiership.

I hope we can find a third party deal to supplement some of this, particularly our profile has been raised as a team playing attractive football and we are good guys that the community likes. Same with Bateman's contract as well - rely on TP deals like Rorters and Broncos. I'm here in Hong Kong - I'll keep an eye out for Chinese companies like Huawei to see if they want to do it !
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

He hasn't played rep footy as a 6 remember. A sub and a center.

He'll get more money, that's a given.

Just better not be ridiculous money.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I think we're all getting a little caught up on the dollar figure here. Seriously, who gives a **** how much Jack gets paid? The important part is how much of our salary cap he is getting, and of course the less the better.

This is what separates the teams that are successful and the rest. Our club needs to be creative in retaining the majority of this squad.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Roger Kenworthy wrote:

We have Sutton on the books who is a natural replacement for Lui. We have Horsburgh to hopefully step into a starting role, you then use youngsters to fill in the bench spots.
So let me get this straight. You want to upgrade a guy to play the same role as this year, by elevating other guys and giving them no increase.

I’ll give you a tip on how that story ends.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley

gangrenous wrote: October 13, 2019, 5:04 pm
Roger Kenworthy wrote:

So let me get this straight. You want to upgrade a guy to play the same role as this year, by elevating other guys and giving them no increase.

I’ll give you a tip on how that story ends.
I thought it was obvious they'd need to be upgraded. From all reports we need a 200 - 250k to boost Wighton up, so you attempt to make up that shortfall between letting some players go and boosting their replacements.

This isn't like Bateman where we need to find 4-500k.

What is the plan if you let Wighton walk though? I'm happy to be swayed.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I would be trying to sell Wighton on being happy with a more moderate increase. But if he wants 1 mil I’d be looking around England next year for another half.
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

This is about a new manager and not getting anything out of the old deal . Player managers are blight on the game.

It was tweeted his last year is about 900k and a car. Thats a good deal. So we are back to the manager not getting a cent until he gets a new deal.

Between Bateman and Wighton wanting an upgrade , a few younger boys and CNK getting improved deals there is going to be a squeeze on other players.
Sezer, Joey and Raps. Whats Lui got left?

Bateman and Wighton are musts to keep. Glad Im not doing the juggling. How good would it be to be the Roosters
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Can you imagine the reaction from the fans every time he puts a ball into touch on the full of he is on $1m....
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Billy Walker wrote:Can you imagine the reaction from the fans every time he puts a ball into touch on the full of he is on $1m....
He won’t get it. It feels like Blake Austin all over again at the end of 2016.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Need more players like Tongue. Sack your manager. Boom 60k upgrade for next contract
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

I've not read all previous posts so apologies if somebody has already said it.

I can fully understand the decision by Jack and his manager. He's just won the Clive Churchill medal so his stock in the league has never been higher. By not taking up his final year option he's able to test market value when it's going to be near it's peak.

Of course that's going to make it tricky for the Raiders to keep this squad together after next season with a the upgrades on the cards. That's the price you pay when the team performs. Thing is we didn't make the GF on the back of a few key players. It was because we played well as a unit with a lot of major contributors.

Right now we just have to wait and see what type of offers come in for Jack and if the Raiders are in a position compete with it. We shouldn't assume the Raiders have to trump the other offers. Could be a case of getting as close as we can. Historically players don't jump ship for a slight increase, particularly if it's a club they've always been part of and are premiership contenders. E.g. if team X offers $900k and the Raiders say they can offer $850k, would Jack take the extra $50k and risk the certainty and comfort he has with the Raiders? It's bugger all extra in the scheme of things.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Lui_Bon wrote: October 13, 2019, 1:56 pm
Seiffert82 wrote: October 13, 2019, 12:53 pm So much love on this board for our CCM winner! :lol:

I trust it will work out. The guy is on $750k and the club was roundly bagged out for paying him that. It's not like it'd take a huge jump to compete with other offers.
I'm not sure that's what he's on - it's what the extension option was, and I think it was a raise on what he's currently on.
I'm pretty sure the club has been roundly bagged over the past few seasons for the type of money they were paying him to play fullback. Those were the numbers bandied around. Marquee dollars for ordinary performances etc etc.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Seiffert82 wrote: October 13, 2019, 6:35 pm
Lui_Bon wrote: October 13, 2019, 1:56 pm
Seiffert82 wrote: October 13, 2019, 12:53 pm So much love on this board for our CCM winner! :lol:

I trust it will work out. The guy is on $750k and the club was roundly bagged out for paying him that. It's not like it'd take a huge jump to compete with other offers.
I'm not sure that's what he's on - it's what the extension option was, and I think it was a raise on what he's currently on.
I'm pretty sure the club has been roundly bagged over the past few seasons for the type of money they were paying him to play fullback. Those were the numbers bandied around. Marquee dollars for ordinary performances etc etc.
Yeah, that's what the criticism was based on. Assuming the number is accurate then some of the criticism would be justified as he would have been in the top tier of fullbacks on contract value but not on performance. In contrast his work at 5/8 this year has been far superior to what he'd done previously at fullback. I think this has shown he was simply a very good player being played out of position.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

gangrenous wrote: October 13, 2019, 12:58 pm Even if he signed with the Raiders. Part of the 2017 problem was players being paid contracts before they’d fully earned them leaving us without depth. Did the performance in 2017/2018 limit the earnings of some of our players. I’d argue it did, particularly through rep opportunities lost.

This isn’t some all or nothing argument I’m making. He obviously is still going to be making a large amount of cash. But I think there is a very valid trade off between some cash now and the improved possibility for future earnings be it contracts or TPAs post football.
If it was a perfectly reasonable approach we'd have scores of players doing it. But they aren't, are they?
Every so often some players might take less to stay at their club, it's pretty rare though and when it happens, its usually some club legend and met with rolled eyes and comments like "yeah, im sure he's getting less"

You can ask a player to take unders to help build the squad, and i got no problem with asking the question, they can only say no, right?

But expecting him to take a how every many hundred thousand dollar gamble on the raiders winning a comp, and then what opportunities may or may not come with that, and how his opportunties stack up against some of the more... soccer mum friendly members of the squad... i mean honestly... how keen are you to gamble 250k? (assuming the 1m reported tag is correct)

I can tell you even as an avid gambler, my appetite for that kind of gamble is not **** high... and id imagine in contact sport like RL, where any minute on the field your entire life and career can be upended (Alex McKinnon anyone), that appetite is even smaller

The problem with what your proposing is that this potentialfuture earnings is such a huge gamble. It may never come. And then he's sacrificed a ton of money for nothing... and fine, he's still on 750k and thats guy by our standards... but he's got 10 years to earn his money, i've got 60. So the difference between 750k for 3-4 year years and 1mil, is actually quite substancial.

Its easy for us a fans to say "everyone take less, build the squad! Be legends!" and i support that as a fan, and any player who did that would endear themselves to me as a fan but we're not the one giving up hundreds of thousands, are we?