Jack Wighton signs four-year extension with Canberra Raiders

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Re: Jack Wighton turns down option for 2021 to go on open market on November 1

Post by Billy Walker »

cat wrote: October 13, 2019, 10:43 am To be honest I don't think Jack has been sober enough this last week to decide anything.

All this contract talk in terms of any of our players is just the managers trying to cash in on us making the grand final.

The players have all gone on well deserved breaks, half of them are getting married and some are off to rep camp.

As long as the boys aren't being bullied by their managers we will be fine

And to be realistic how many clubs could fit these reported huge contracts under their cap?

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Spot on Cat! Good call.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Re: Jack Wighton turns down Raiders option to go on open market for 2021

Post by gangrenous »

The problem with the hardcore get every dollar you’re worth now approach of pigman is that it neglects a couple of aspects:
* your future value at next contract
* your value after football linked to your reputation

Both of which are linked to your success as a team.

Wighton sits now in a position Cherry-Evans did a while back. In my opinion Cherry-Evans chose wrong. He overreached on how much he was worth to Manly and adversely impacted the ability of his team to be successful. In doing so he impacted his reputation significantly. He impacted his final contract value and his prospects after football have taken a huge hit. He won’t be remembered as a great player. He’ll be remembered as a selfish player imo.

I also think pigman has undervalued what the club did for Jack. Ricky Stuart pretty clearly cares for the guy, and saying we ONLY took care of him for commercial/football reasons is rubbish imo.

Wighton has delivered one outstanding season of football. He is not worth 1M at the moment. Tell your manager to find you some TPAs to supplement your income. There’s a premiership to be won here and now.

Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Fair points Gangers, but I think the notion that a premiership is priceless is a false one. If players valued premiership rings more than income you’d see top shelf players moving to well placed clubs at massive under every year. No doubt every player wants an NRL premiership or two but not at the expense of personal income.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

His future value at his next contract won’t be massively impacted by team performance
As long as he plays well, he’ll be in the NSW and maybe the Aus team, and that’s his value

As for post football value... that’s useful for about 5-6 players at any one time, and those spots are reserved for the Cam Smiths of the world... that ain’t going to be Jack Wighton’s post football career and even he’s smart enough to know it
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I disagree on both fronts. He can go play out of his skin at the Titans and he’ll look pretty rubbish because there’s no one to set up. His stats and rep selection will suffer.

I also think you and Billy are both undervaluing the financial benefit of being a premiership player in Canberra. I think you could get some legitimate TPA mileage out of that after football for a player like Jack.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

I’m with Piggy on this one - plenty of high value well paid players in poorly performing teams and imagine his value at next contract if he did take the Titans deep into finals....

Jacks not getting a media gig or becoming a spokesman for a betting agency post footy and I doubt he’d want either. He will deservingly do very well out of footy and pick up the odd free lunch here or there for the rest of his life.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

He is looking to get a long term deal done for close to a million a year and really his chances of getting one are likely not going to be better than they are right now. I would say the most likely result of this is an extension before next season starts.

I would also definitely agree that his long term prospects of employment are going to better if he stays at Canberra than if he chased cash at a lot of other clubs.
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

One of Leilua, Bateman, or Wighton will leave. It’s getting messy, and could quickly deteriorate
deanoman
Brett Mullins

Post by deanoman »

I love Jack, but considering we have George Williams coming next year, I would rather keep Sezer and BJ personally.

That’s a more balanced team

In saying this he is a very good footballer
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

This is exactly why you don't re sign someone like Williams on 300k

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

edwahu

Re: Jack Wighton turns down option for 2021 to go on open market on November 1

Post by edwahu »

BadnMean wrote: October 13, 2019, 10:39 am
yurithe1 wrote: October 13, 2019, 10:32 am
Beejay wrote: October 13, 2019, 10:02 am We’re just lucky we have a known great negotiator in Don Furner handling all this.
He seems to be well in control.
Here's something to think about: we haven't had any confirmation that Sezer has signed a contract with Huddersfield or that Canberra have released him. What is confirmed is we are getting George Williams who is the current England 5/8th. Not a Kangaroo debutant vying for a spot in the centres of the wing because they're okay for 5/8ths. An England player who is guaranteed his spot at 5/8th.

Now, maybe after Jack's agent tests the market, Don says the name "Shannon Boyd" to him? Then, he follows it up with "George Williams" and the question of whether $750,000 or maybe $800,000 still sound good.

Titans could be the team that has the most money and they need a 5/8th. How smart would it be to have spent so many years at a mid-level club like Canberra, finally see the chance of playing in successive GFs and then move to somewhere near the bottom of the table where he will probably never come close to the Top 4 again, which a side needs to do to have a shot at a GF. He would not be going back to square 1, he'd be going to square -6.

Anyway, this is all speculation. Teams are pretty close to their salary cap limits and would have to move players on to accommodate Jack. Others have their halves combinations sorted. He's finally come good, but we're looking at him through lime green lenses. There might not be the interest his agent hopes for above $850,000.

BTW, I read somewhere (I think it was Bateman who said it) that agents get 6% of the contract. A $51,000 pay day for a few weeks work would motivate me to look for a better deal for my client. Then, it's up to the client to decide what he wants more.
It won't be GC.

Rooters have Cronk money to throw at a half. Broncos in the market too. Potentially even Melbourne if Smith retires.
Good clubs with "space" in the cap.

Two of which will be motivated to make a large offer to Jack (even if a large sum of it is in promised TPA's) just to screw over their suddenly charging premiership rivals.
The Cronk money would be committed to upgrades to other players already. At least at any other club.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Billy Walker wrote:I’m with Piggy on this one - plenty of high value well paid players in poorly performing teams and imagine his value at next contract if he did take the Titans deep into finals....
Name some high value players resigned into poor teams as opposed to signed in from another club.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

It must be the off season..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

gangrenous wrote: October 13, 2019, 12:02 pm
Billy Walker wrote:I’m with Piggy on this one - plenty of high value well paid players in poorly performing teams and imagine his value at next contract if he did take the Titans deep into finals....
Name some high value players resigned into poor teams as opposed to signed in from another club.
Jason Taumololo
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Your example is a guy who resigned in a year they made the grand final?

Oh dear Billy...
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

gangrenous wrote: October 13, 2019, 11:28 am I disagree on both fronts. He can go play out of his skin at the Titans and he’ll look pretty rubbish because there’s no one to set up. His stats and rep selection will suffer.

I also think you and Billy are both undervaluing the financial benefit of being a premiership player in Canberra. I think you could get some legitimate TPA mileage out of that after football for a player like Jack.
He's not going to have to play for the Titans, he'll re-sign here at a contract he's happier with, and how that impacts our sqaud aint his or his managers problem.
Or he'll take a deal elsewhere at top of the market, 5 years, which will take him to 32 years old before a ball is kicked on his contract after that, and at that point who even knows? You take the bird in the hand as a professional sports

I think you're grossly overstating the mileage to be gained out of that, and besides you're missing a key point... him taking unders doesnt even guarantee us a premiership. He could play for 300k a year and we may never win the comp in his career. Why would he take a cent less than his market for a wild gamble on a) being a premiership winner in a team that has no history of sustained success and b) getting those TPA opportunities, limited as they'll be in a town like this, ahead of Croker, Papalii, Hodgson, Cotric, Bateman or maybe Georgey Boy, who might also play MASSIVE roles in that premiership and are basically clean off the paddock?

Sorry gangers, but none of what you says makes sense and if you tried to sell that **** as a player manager, you'd be out of clients VERY quickly
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

gangrenous wrote: October 13, 2019, 12:26 pm Your example is a guy who resigned in a year they made the grand final?

Oh dear Billy...
I think it shows that very few teams stay up or down for any period of time and there aren’t any clubs you can point at and say “they are out of finals contention for the next 5 years”.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

I wouldnt be offering him a cent more than 750k. As his manager has said, a lot has changed in the past year. While his manager points out that he has played origin, for auatralia, and clive churchhill medal he fails to remeber that he was also stood down for 10 weeks last year whereby the club stood by him and penalised him a paltry a 20k. There is better value for money out there then pay close to 1m for wighton
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

So much love on this board for our CCM winner! :lol:

I trust it will work out. The guy is on $750k and the club was roundly bagged out for paying him that. It's not like it'd take a huge jump to compete with other offers.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Jack Wighton turns down Raiders option to go on open market for 2021

Post by gangrenous »

Even if he signed with the Raiders. Part of the 2017 problem was players being paid contracts before they’d fully earned them leaving us without depth. Did the performance in 2017/2018 limit the earnings of some of our players. I’d argue it did, particularly through rep opportunities lost.

This isn’t some all or nothing argument I’m making. He obviously is still going to be making a large amount of cash. But I think there is a very valid trade off between some cash now and the improved possibility for future earnings be it contracts or TPAs post football.

It’s a perfectly reasonable approach. But of course you as Mr.Black and White can’t accept that there’s any other approach beyond what you would do.

Last edited by gangrenous on October 13, 2019, 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Billy Walker wrote:
gangrenous wrote: October 13, 2019, 12:26 pm Your example is a guy who resigned in a year they made the grand final?

Oh dear Billy...
I think it shows that very few teams stay up or down for any period of time and there aren’t any clubs you can point at and say “they are out of finals contention for the next 5 years”.
Really? I think it shows your point had absolutely zero basis in fact.
Ron78
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs

Post by Ron78 »

Wonder what impact BJ’s almost career ending injury had on the players. He came close to being forced into retirement. Could have been worse.
I see Sam Burgess is also in the news about early retirement due to his shoulder.
Cant begrudge these guys fir wanting to set themselves and their families up for life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

All he did was not take up the option in his favour for 2021. Few chicken littles in here.

Also his manager has gone on radio this morning talking up going to market.
That is completely unnecessary. There’s 16 clubs in the NRL, and not one of them needs more than a text message notice he’s off contract. Pretty sure every club knows who he is and what he can do.

The only person that needs to go on a radio show to get their name out to potential new clients is a relatively unknown manager call Matt Rose.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

I like Jack's football and respect an individual enforcing their contractual rights.

I suspect his manager would have spoken to other clubs so he figures he can get more. See how he goes, I personally wouldnt go all out on Jack until you see how he backs up next year, he could easily turn into a fizzer.

I think anyone criticizing jack should have a look at Johnny B.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Billy Walker wrote: October 13, 2019, 11:12 am Fair points Gangers, but I think the notion that a premiership is priceless is a false one. If players valued premiership rings more than income you’d see top shelf players moving to well placed clubs at massive under every year. No doubt every player wants an NRL premiership or two but not at the expense of personal income.
We see that all the time at the Roosters and Broncos... at least the dollars counted on the salary cap.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

I havent read all of this, but, it's not a big deal IMO. No different to Bateman really. Both players want to be here. Both have relationships here with the club, coach, players etc. They are just looking to get paid what they are worth.

Jack is:
A CC medalist.
A GF runner up half.
A starting Origin player.
Now in a kangaroo squad.

These all point to a top tier spine player, not a middle of the road one. So, turn down the option so that you can up your contract from next yr rather than 2021.

I'd say that 750K goes up to 850K, maybe even 900K. But we will want another 4yrs
pacman
Jason Croker

Post by pacman »

Hasn't proven anywhere near the consistency for 1 mil a season.

Will be interesting to see the dynamics next year with Williams. This year we've played most of the season with 2 fullbacks and a 5/8th (sezer).

If Williams fills the half void we've sorely missed, will wighton change his game? For the better or worse?
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Matt wrote: October 13, 2019, 1:22 pm I havent read all of this, but, it's not a big deal IMO. No different to Bateman really. Both players want to be here. Both have relationships here with the club, coach, players etc. They are just looking to get paid what they are worth.

Jack is:
A CC medalist.
A GF runner up half.
A starting Origin player.
Now in a kangaroo squad.

These all point to a top tier spine player, not a middle of the road one. So, turn down the option so that you can up your contract from next yr rather than 2021.

I'd say that 750K goes up to 850K, maybe even 900K. But we will want another 4yrs
I think people should be careful equating value to rep honours.

Trent Hodkinson who I really liked as a player
- Played a key role in ending NSW 8 yr drought
- Helped the dogs get to 2 GFs (one of which he was named co-captain).

Looks like a very valuable player but his career hasnt panned out due to injuries and other things...
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

greeneyed wrote: October 13, 2019, 1:19 pm
Billy Walker wrote: October 13, 2019, 11:12 am Fair points Gangers, but I think the notion that a premiership is priceless is a false one. If players valued premiership rings more than income you’d see top shelf players moving to well placed clubs at massive under every year. No doubt every player wants an NRL premiership or two but not at the expense of personal income.
We see that all the time at the Roosters and Broncos... at least the dollars counted on the salary cap.
But as they don’t seem to you have players transferring to those glamour clubs for big dollars and the chance of a premiership. You don’t see someone like Taumololo saying I want another premiership - get me to the roosters on base pay or less!
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Jack Wighton turns down Raiders option to go on open market for 2021

Post by LastRaider »

And here we go, Raiders won’t make another grand final Beyond 2020+ now for quite a few years.

Greed takes over as always. Players won’t sacrifice to stay together to win premierships instead would prefer to be paid more and be in losing teams.

Next thing is, Croker will want something ridicules!
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

LastRaider wrote: October 13, 2019, 1:40 pm And here we go, Raiders won’t make another grand final Beyond 2020+ now for quite a few years.

Greed takes over as always. Players won’t sacrifice to stay together to win premierships instead would prefer to be paid more and be in losing teams.

Next thing is, Croker will want something ridicules!
I dont think croker has the leverage to get something ridiculous.

At the very least players need other clubs offering something serious.
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Seiffert82 wrote: October 13, 2019, 12:53 pm So much love on this board for our CCM winner! :lol:

I trust it will work out. The guy is on $750k and the club was roundly bagged out for paying him that. It's not like it'd take a huge jump to compete with other offers.
I'm not sure that's what he's on - it's what the extension option was, and I think it was a raise on what he's currently on.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

Surely Huawei know some Chinese Billionaires not on their board they can ask to TPA our boys. Sponsoring the Premiers would have obvious benefits for them.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Im more worried about potholes in my street..
This is nothing !

Chill out dudes, you'll get ulcers.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
rayden83
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by rayden83 »

Is George Williams natural position half back or five eighth? His build and highlights make him appear more of a five eighth but we already have one of those, a very good one in fact. Can he organise an attack, throw a dummy and what’s his game iq like? Those are the things we were missing with Sezer I was hoping GeeWilly would fix.