Jack Wighton signs four-year extension with Canberra Raiders

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

edwahu

Jack Wighton signs four-year extension with Canberra Raiders

Post by edwahu »

Jack's knocked back his option at 750k and is looking for an upgrade to closer to 1m for 2021+.

Jack Wighton rejects Canberra Raiders contract option

Clive Churchill Medal winner Jack Wighton is for sale after rejecting an option in his contract for 2021 and is free to sign with a rival club at the end of the month.

“This isn’t to say he wants to leave the Raiders,” manager Matt Rose said. “But a lot has happened in his career this year and he’s decided against taking up an option in his favour. When he signed the original contract, he wasn’t playing for NSW or Australia and he hadn’t won the Clive Churchill Medal on grand final day.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 4500c6dbd2

750k is right on the money for him imo.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Re: Canberra Raiders preparing to start extending grand final heroes

Post by Raiders666 »

Wow
Peter
Jason Croker

Post by Peter »

I dunno. I think if you compare him to those players earning $1m+, he’d be feeling pretty hard done by to be on $750k.

We all know how this plays out now.

—> wait for the bidding frenzy (which in this situation will really work against the Raiders because everyone knows Jack won’t leave Canberra. All they are doing is bumping up his value to take a hit on our salary cap.

—> manager says to Don “look this is what Jack is worth”

—> Raiders forced to offload star player. Hopefully it works out if Sezer leaves first.

—> Jack re-signs for more than the $750k originally offered

Maybe one day these guys would prefer to win a premiership with their mates than take a $100k pay rise. If you break it down, after manager commissions and tax, they are probably only $1k a week worse off anyway. A lot for us yes, not much to have a premiership to your name for a person who works their entire life chasing that prize.
Crank11
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Ricky stuart

Jack Wighton’s agent opens up on star’s future

Post by Crank11 »

Wighton’s manger on Macquarie Sports now saying Jack's not taking up his contract option in 2021 so Nov 1 he will be on the market.
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

The only clubs that will offer him more than that are the Titans/Bulldogs/Knights.

And if he breaks up the spine that we’ve built to get to a grand final to go to a bottom four side for a few pieces of silver after everything this club for him, that is the ultimate dick move.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2019

Post by Coastalraider »

Crank11 wrote: October 13, 2019, 7:42 am Wightons manger on Macquarie sport now saying Jack's not taking uphis contract in 2021 so nov 1 he will be on the market
What the hell?? Everything coming out of Wightons mouth this year says he wants to repay the faith put in him by the team.

Weird - look forward to hearing more. Maybe jsut a play for increase - the option might not reflect the fact he is now an aussie/nsw rep.
Crank11
Gerry De La Cruz

Post by Crank11 »

His manger did say the raiders will have the last reply
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Crank11 wrote: October 13, 2019, 7:42 am Wightons manger on Macquarie sport now saying Jack's not taking uphis contract in 2021 so nov 1 he will be on the market
Putting aside the fact it would be devistating to lose Jack and the argument that the club has been very good to him - if a player like Jack wants to use their limited career time to cash in on maximum dollars it’s hard to begrudge them that opportunity. The bit that kills me though is that the big $$ opportunities should be coming from a struggling team lacking in big dollar talent. If Jack got paid crazy money to try to turn the Titans around it would suck for us but maybe in time we could accept it. The reality is that if he does go in all likelihood it would be to the Broncos or Roosters who both need a half but should both be least likely to be able to afford him. I don’t buy into the conspiracy theories around the refereeing but when (and we hope not) things like this happen, it kills the NRL passion a bit!
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Other than Milford the players who are worse and on 1m+ signed those deals a few years back. The market is a bit more selective now.

You also have Keary and Munster on around 700k based on reports when they signed. So Jack 750k seems more than fair in comparison.

I think it's fair enough he tests his value and maybe 1m PA over 5 years is reasonable if we already knew the cap for 2023 and on. I just don't think he will necessarily find a lot more money out there for him.
Last edited by edwahu on October 13, 2019, 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

It would be the ultimate betrayal. I hope someone has a quiet word with him.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Coastalraider wrote: October 13, 2019, 7:54 am
What the hell?? Everything coming out of Wightons mouth this year says he wants to repay the faith put in him by the team.

Weird - look forward to hearing more. Maybe jsut a play for increase - the option might not reflect the fact he is now an aussie/nsw rep.
I guess as a 20 something year old you pay good money for a player agent to do what you can’t which is to get you the best dollars possible. What the agent says or advises you to say might not reflect what you feel, but if you trust them to get the best outcome for you you follow the advice. John Bateman and Jack Wighton might be the most loyal men in the world who would sooner play for free than to go to another club, or they might be total mercenaries that would play soccer next year if the price was right. I think it’s hard for us to know and we probably just have to watch it play out. Tough for the fans but I imagine it would also be very hard for the players if they were being perceived to be something they aren’t in the interests of negotiations.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

Didn't he say he would play for free just to repay the club? Problem is that he has been overpaid for so long now he is finally playing like a 750k player and now he wants more. I'd probably go 850 k ...no more.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

raiderskater wrote: October 13, 2019, 7:59 am It would be the ultimate betrayal. I hope someone has a quiet word with him.
I suspect his agent is having a quiet word to him which might be - “I know you would sooner play for free than leave Canberra but you gotta stop saying that. I know you hate Union and couldn’t think of anything worse than being seen having a coffee with Trent Roberton but the coffee is booked and you best start talking up your Union dream”.

We will likely never know the truth but just like when you commission someone to sell your house you trust them and go along with calling the termite ridden garden shed “an airey rustic studio space” even if you’re not convinced it’s the right thing to do.
Crank11
Gerry De La Cruz

Post by Crank11 »

This guy owes don furner and the club for not sacking him, this is a **** go and im happy for him to EDIT
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Crank11 wrote: October 13, 2019, 8:18 am This guy owes don furner and the club for not sacking him, this is a **** go and im happy for him to EDIT
Mate you just have to sit back and see it play out. I can’t say for certain he isn’t a greedy money grabber but I can say for certain that it’s in his manager’s interests to portray him that way. I suspect there is a huge chance that Jack is as loyal as he claims and would truly be struggling with these headlines and the commentary around it. All negotiations are an ugly dance - just let it play out and hold your rocks until you’re sure there are reasons to throw them.
SeeBee101
David Grant
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by SeeBee101 »

With all these things happening, the chances of us resigning BJ are getting close to nil. Bateman and now Wighton and expecting pay rises all but means his demise at Canberra. This is a huge loss.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Fun and games.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Look players have got to get theirs, ive said that time and time again

At 33 and retired, what is Jack Wighton going to do for 30 years until retirement? His options are going to be pretty limited

But this is why losing that GF hurts so much, those chances are fleeting for clubs like ours. We might get back next year with our squad mostly intact, or maybe we don’t... we can’t play the numbers games on GF’s

The reality is we’ll extend and upgrade a number of players and that’s going to be mean we lose talent, we’ll be thinner next year in depth and we’ll be thinner on star power

Tough scenes
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Crank11 wrote: October 13, 2019, 8:18 am This guy owes don furner and the club for not sacking him, this is a **** go and im happy for him to EDIT
He doesn’t owe us anything
He has a contract option in his favour, it’s his right to exercise it in whatever way he sees is most beneficial to him

I get what you’re saying re: off the field, but we kept him because it would have been a competitive disadvantage not to. This wasn’t some moralistic stand behind a good kid we believed in... don’t fall for that Bull
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Odd you see players like SST, Manu and Keary happy to sit on their current unders.
Crank11
Gerry De La Cruz

Post by Crank11 »

edwahu wrote: October 13, 2019, 9:23 am Odd you see players like SST, Manu and Keary happy to sit on their current unders.
Because uncle nick will get the brown paper bags out to keep those players happy
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

I agree with both your posts Pigman. Still not convinced there isn’t a fair bit of game playing going on here but if a player does get a better deal elsewhere good luck to him. It’s not like Ata Hingano can turn around and say “I trained hard and did my best why aren’t you loyal to me”. Clubs gotta do what’s best for the club and players gotta do what’s best for players. Totally agree you have to take premiership chances when they come but maybe not as pessimistic about what the squad will look like next year. We’ll be right!
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

PigRickman wrote:Look players have got to get theirs, ive said that time and time again

At 33 and retired, what is Jack Wighton going to do for 30 years until retirement? His options are going to be pretty limited

But this is why losing that GF hurts so much, those chances are fleeting for clubs like ours. We might get back next year with our squad mostly intact, or maybe we don’t... we can’t play the numbers games on GF’s

The reality is we’ll extend and upgrade a number of players and that’s going to be mean we lose talent, we’ll be thinner next year in depth and we’ll be thinner on star power

Tough scenes
The club should be exploring education options, post football, for some of our players.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Re: Jack Wighton’s agent opens up on star’s future

Post by Makaveli »

He's been on overs his whole career so hardly surprising that now that hes hit peak potential he wants even more

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

gergreg wrote: October 13, 2019, 9:49 am
PigRickman wrote:Look players have got to get theirs, ive said that time and time again

Tough scenes
The club should be exploring education options, post football, for some of our players.

I’d be surprised if options weren’t already available. I think it’s a case that you can lead a horse to water but you can’t make him drink
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Jack Wighton turns down option for 2021 to go on open market on November 1

Post by greeneyed »

Jack Wighton’s agent opens up on star’s future

The agent of star player Jack Wighton has opened up on reports that the Canberra Raiders five-eighth has turned down a contract extension for the 2021 season.

“Jack had an option in his favour for 2021 and he’s decided not to take up that option which means come November 1, Jack will be a free agent for the 2021 season... The Raiders will always get the last shot based on the relationship he has there,” manager Matt Rose said.

Read more and audio: https://www.sportsradio.com.au/jack-wig ... rs-future/

Raiders grand final star Jack Wighton rejects contract option, assesses options: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/canberra-r ... a8ad1e4670
rayden83
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Rapana

Re: Jack Wighton’s agent opens up on star’s future

Post by rayden83 »

Players aren’t going to accept a massive pay cut because of loyalty. Wighton is worth more than 750k and will need to be around 1m if we’re to keep him. The silver lining of this is it will give us a chance to see if he can back it up next year, or if it was just a one season wonder a la Austin.

Best for all parties concerned imo.
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

We’re just lucky we have a known great negotiator in Don Furner handling all this.
He seems to be well in control.
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

In all seriousness, if I’m his manager I want to negotiate a contract now. GF Clive Churchill winner. Perfect time to get him a rich 4-5 year deal. Doesn’t mean he has to be on $1mil in 2021, could start at $800k and finish on the million at the end.
He’s still on $750k in 2020 anyway.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

gergreg wrote: October 13, 2019, 9:49 am

Tough scenes

And sure they do... I’m sure the club encourages these guys to do stuff outside of football the help their post playing career and I’m sure a lot of them do stuff, some of them probably engage in that more seriously than others

Someone like Jack... yeah, I’m not sure
I think he’ll probably make enough money that if he’s smart, he’ll have a pretty good portfolio of property or whatever and that’ll get him through... but you gotta get that $$ whilst you can when you’re only significant earnings are going to come between ages 23-32
yurithe1
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by yurithe1 »

Beejay wrote: October 13, 2019, 10:02 am We’re just lucky we have a known great negotiator in Don Furner handling all this.
Here's something to think about: we haven't had any confirmation that Sezer has signed a contract with Huddersfield or that Canberra have released him. What is confirmed is we are getting George Williams who is the current England 5/8th. Not a Kangaroo debutant vying for a spot in the centres of the wing because they're okay for 5/8ths. An England player who is guaranteed his spot at 5/8th.

Now, maybe after Jack's agent tests the market, Don says the name "Shannon Boyd" to him? Then, he follows it up with "George Williams" and the question of whether $750,000 or maybe $800,000 still sound good.

Titans could be the team that has the most money and they need a 5/8th. How smart would it be to have spent so many years at a mid-level club like Canberra, finally see the chance of playing in successive GFs and then move to somewhere near the bottom of the table where he will probably never come close to the Top 4 again, which a side needs to do to have a shot at a GF. He would not be going back to square 1, he'd be going to square -6.

Anyway, this is all speculation. Teams are pretty close to their salary cap limits and would have to move players on to accommodate Jack. Others have their halves combinations sorted. He's finally come good, but we're looking at him through lime green lenses. There might not be the interest his agent hopes for above $850,000.

BTW, I read somewhere (I think it was Bateman who said it) that agents get 6% of the contract. A $51,000 pay day for a few weeks work would motivate me to look for a better deal for my client. Then, it's up to the client to decide what he wants more.
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Beejay wrote: October 13, 2019, 10:11 am In all seriousness, if I’m his manager I want to negotiate a contract now. GF Clive Churchill winner. Perfect time to get him a rich 4-5 year deal. Doesn’t mean he has to be on $1mil in 2021, could start at $800k and finish on the million at the end.
He’s still on $750k in 2020 anyway.
If you read the snippet from this manager in the story above, that is exactly what it is. There's no way your stocks are realistically ever going to be higher to negotiate from than winning an Origin, CC medal and the key half in a GF team still on an upward curve in that position. Worst that can happen is he gets another 750k.

Best that can happen is he gets 1mill a year for 3-4 years. That's like an extra year of playing footy money or 7 more years safe easy retirement living in high style.

He'll stay. I think he's a better chance of holding his life together with us.

But I understand it leaves a bad taste in everyones mouth. And it might set his personal image back a little bit from it's rebound.

And I probably have suffer "Jack gets paid" snipes for another few years.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

yurithe1 wrote: October 13, 2019, 10:32 am
Beejay wrote: October 13, 2019, 10:02 am We’re just lucky we have a known great negotiator in Don Furner handling all this.
Here's something to think about: we haven't had any confirmation that Sezer has signed a contract with Huddersfield or that Canberra have released him. What is confirmed is we are getting George Williams who is the current England 5/8th. Not a Kangaroo debutant vying for a spot in the centres of the wing because they're okay for 5/8ths. An England player who is guaranteed his spot at 5/8th.

Now, maybe after Jack's agent tests the market, Don says the name "Shannon Boyd" to him? Then, he follows it up with "George Williams" and the question of whether $750,000 or maybe $800,000 still sound good.

Titans could be the team that has the most money and they need a 5/8th. How smart would it be to have spent so many years at a mid-level club like Canberra, finally see the chance of playing in successive GFs and then move to somewhere near the bottom of the table where he will probably never come close to the Top 4 again, which a side needs to do to have a shot at a GF. He would not be going back to square 1, he'd be going to square -6.

Anyway, this is all speculation. Teams are pretty close to their salary cap limits and would have to move players on to accommodate Jack. Others have their halves combinations sorted. He's finally come good, but we're looking at him through lime green lenses. There might not be the interest his agent hopes for above $850,000.

BTW, I read somewhere (I think it was Bateman who said it) that agents get 6% of the contract. A $51,000 pay day for a few weeks work would motivate me to look for a better deal for my client. Then, it's up to the client to decide what he wants more.
It won't be GC.

Rooters have Cronk money to throw at a half. Broncos in the market too. Potentially even Melbourne if Smith retires.
Good clubs with "space" in the cap.

Two of which will be motivated to make a large offer to Jack (even if a large sum of it is in promised TPA's) just to screw over their suddenly charging premiership rivals.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Re: Jack Wighton turns down Raiders option to go on open market for 2021

Post by Billy Walker »

When he went up to collect the CC medal I actually was trying to think of a neat way he could put the “still gets paid” comment to bed. Probably best to let sleeping dogs lie, but winning best player for your club on the biggest stage should erase all notion that he’s just turning up for the dollars.
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

To be honest I don't think Jack has been sober enough this last week to decide anything.

All this contract talk in terms of any of our players is just the managers trying to cash in on us making the grand final.

The players have all gone on well deserved breaks, half of them are getting married and some are off to rep camp.

As long as the boys aren't being bullied by their managers we will be fine

And to be realistic how many clubs could fit these reported huge contracts under their cap?

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Vaccinated